Romancing The Throne (Aranxia and Aennan) | 115 4A +

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Romancing The Throne (Aranxia and Aennan) | 115 4A +

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:02 pm

Year: 115 F.A.

For Aranxia, Caras Galadhon was both more and less than she had expected it to be. It was enormous, many times the size of Tor Karad, possibly the size of both Wing Haven and Wing Hove together – including the land between the city and the town. The people were fantastic – so diverse that never in a thousand years could she ever have imagined it all. She knew that there was a limited number of races, though exactly how many that was she had to ask someone else. In Caras Galadhon there were mixes of every type imaginable, and the races were so mixed that there were people with a little of every race in them! In fact, it was the purebloods who were hardest to find here. And there was so much to see, so much to learn, that Aranxia was sure that if she stayed here a hundred years she could never see or learn it all.

On the other hand … things were not quite what she had expected. She had more or less expected that River and Jess would spend their time together, but with them staying with Luk instead of in the city she hadn’t even seen them since they’d arrived. Miyuki was busy doing her own thing, and she hadn’t seen Amalirahc even once. She was staying with Lancaeriel and Wren in the inn, but they also were doing their own thing. So while she was enjoying the city … she did feel awfully alone.

Still, it did give her lots of time to paint – and paint she did. It was their third day there, and she was on her eighth canvas. She had painted each one at a different place in the city, and now she was on her way to her next destination: the beach.

It was still early morning, but she wanted to get to the beach before people started to get too active. She preferred calm and quiet when she worked, and even though she was on her own, the crowds were more than she was used to. She’d also seen Naida with some girls – identical, they must be twins, she was sure – and she wanted to do a picture of the three of them together, if she could.

She set her easel up in the sand and prepped her palette and took only a few short minutes to decide exactly what she would paint. Naida and the two blue-haired girls were nowhere in sight at the moment, so she would paint them later; for now, she would do a simple sunrise over the ocean. Water was always challenging, and that would be enough to warm her up for other ocean paintings later on.

She had been painting a while already when people began to stir around her, leaving their homes and heading off to work. Several of them stopped to watch her for a few moments as they passed, but no one spoke to her, leaving her alone with her work, and while for the most part Aranxia didn’t mind, there was a part of her that wished that someone would at least say good morning.

By the time the sun was too high in the sky for her to accurately replicate the colours of the ocean at dawn, no one had spoken to her, and she packed up her things silently and returned to the inn.

The following day, she was there again, and once more people watched her and left her alone.

On the next morning, Valenya, there were fewer people out, as many people had the day off, and only a few of them stopped to watch Aranxia at all. By this time, she had grown so used to them being there and having nothing really to do with her that she didn’t notice when people came or when the left or how long they stayed there. It was also the day that she finally finished the painting, and, as the sun once again drew too high in the sky for the painting, she lowered her palette and smiled at the finished product.

“It’s beautiful,” came a voice from behind her. She was so startled that she dropped her brush in the sand, though thankfully her thumb was through the hole in her palette and saved her paints from a similar fate. Blushing hotly, she turned to see a young man behind her. He had long, blue-green hair pulled back in a ponytail behind his back, and his eyes, a watery teal, were filled with chagrin, and matched the robes that he was wearing. He grimaced and knelt down to pick up the brush that Aranxia had dropped.

“Sorry about that,” he said, holding it out to her. “I didn’t mean to startle you.”

“It’s – it’s all right,” Aranxia murmured in reply, taking the brush and cleaning it off with one hand. “I just – I’ve been here three days and no one’s spoken to me before … I didn’t think anyone would …”

“Really?” The young man seemed surprised. “I mean – I’ve been watching, I … I just thought … well, we all thought … you wouldn’t want to be disturbed …”

Aranxia blushed and giggled. “So I don’t need to feel like an outcast?” she asked him, only half joking.

Her comment seemed to alarm the young man. “No!” he exclaimed, the pale skin of his face reddening. “No, not at all! Please, we wish you to feel welcome here!”

Aranxia smiled and began to clean up her paints. “Thank you. It just … seems odd. This is our fifth day here, and you’re really the first one to talk to me, other than a shopkeeper.”

“I’m sorry,” the man said softly, his eyes downcast. For a moment, he was quiet, as if he was trying to think of what to say, and then he asked, “So … I know this must be obvious, but … you’re new here?”

Aranxia nodded as she began to pack things away. “Yes … well, as I said, we arrived five days ago.”

“And … where are you from?” he asked, watching as she cleaned up.

“Elven Southland, in the Four Lands,” she replied, still working. “We’re here on a visit.”

“Not to stay?” He seemed surprised.

Aranxia stopped cleaning up and blinked at him. “Stay?”

He nodded. “Usually, once people come here, they stay,” he explained. “Of course, most of them don’t have a choice. Are people of mixed marriages accepted in your homeland, then?”

Aranxia wasn’t sure whether mixed marriages were really approved of in the Southland now or not – she had a feeling not so much, considering the Eastland was the place where people in mixed marriages tended to settle – but she was also slightly bemused by his implication.

“I am not married,” she told him with an amused smile, “to anyone. Not of Dark Elven blood, or otherwise. Nor do I have hopes to be so anytime soon.”

“Really?” The man was surprised again.

Aranxia tilted her head slightly. “No … though I think I must remind you, sir, that we are strangers …”

“Oh, yes!” The man chuckled sheepishly and bowed his head. “Aennan, at your service. Scribe and assistant librarian.”

Aranxia returned a curtsey for the bow. “Princess Aranxia Aldrich. Painter. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Aennan.” She smiled warmly at him before turning to pack up her things again.

“Painter?” Aennan repeated. “You make yourself sound like a person who paints houses. Artist, I believe, should be your title.”

Aranxia smiled and blushed, closing up her bag tightly. She slung it onto her back before she took her painting from the easel so that she could close it for carrying.

“May I carry that for you?” Aennan asked, holding out one hand in offering.

“You’re certain?” Aranxia asked anxiously. “Don’t you have to be on your way to the library?”

The young man smiled and shook his head. “No, not today. Valenya is my day off. Please, I’ve been excluding you all week, let me help you now.”

“Thank you.” Aranxia smiled widely. She passed him the easel and took the still-wet painting in her own hands. “I’m staying at the inn. The Rose in Bloom.

“A lovely choice,” Aennan assured her. “And please forgive me if I am being too forward, but … may I ask, what are your plans for this afternoon?”

Aranxia arched one eyebrow. “I have none at the moment, though if I’m correct in assuming that you, like the other people of this city, are here out of necessity rather than by choice, do you not have a family of your own waiting for you on this, your day off of work?”

The man laughed aloud. “Touché. No, I don’t have anyone waiting for me. I was orphaned young, and my elder brother married a human from the country neighbouring ours, so when the two of them moved here they took me with them. I just got my own home recently, so no, no one will be waiting for me.”

He smiled. “And since neither of us has anyone expecting us, would you like a tour of our city? Consider it an apology for having caused you to feel so alone these past several days.”

Aranxia laughed softly. “It really isn’t necessary, especially as an apology,” she assured him with a warm smile, “but if it really is no trouble for you, then yes, I accept.”
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Romancing The Throne (Aranxia and Aennan) | 115 4A +

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:03 pm

Having been guided around the city, Aranxia felt much more at ease exploring on her own during the following several days. She did a few more paintings, though not as many as during her first week there, and she felt that the quality of them was much better than her first ones, as she had new energy and excitement to do them.

Now it was Valenya once again, and she was once more at the beach. This time she was not there to paint, but to relax. She sat in the sand just beyond the reach of the morning surf and clasped her hands together, watching the sunrise just for the beauty of it. Of course, if she were to be honest with herself, she was hoping to meet up with her guide again.

Her mind turned back to the time she’d spent with Aennan. He was amusing, charming, witty … and he really made her feel welcome in the city, which she greatly appreciated after the first several days of being alone.

“Good morning.”

Aennan’s voice startled Aranxia out of her reverie, but since she wasn’t holding anything this time, she didn’t drop anything, and she was more able to keep her dignity intact.

“Good morning,” she replied warmly, turning and smiling up at Aennan, who was standing just behind her. “How long have you been behind me?”

He chuckled and sat down next to her. “Long enough,” he winked. “Besides, you looked lost in thought. I didn’t want to intrude.”

“Thanks,” Aranxia giggled, “but it wasn’t anything you needed to worry about interrupting.”

“Well the next time I’ll just go ahead and interrupt then,” Aennan teased her. “Bucket of water over the head, maybe …”

“You wouldn’t!” Aranxia exclaimed, her eyes growing wide.

Somehow her anxiety seemed to amuse her friend. “You’ve never really been teased before, have you?” he asked her. When she shook her head, he asked her, “What’s it like, then, being a princess? It doesn’t sound like much fun.”

Aranxia blushed. “Well … it … it has its moments,” she admitted softly. “Though … it’s nothing like being here. Really, it’s a lot of lessons … history, arithmetic, grammar, etiquette, dancing …”

Aennan nodded thoughtfully. “And painting lessons, I suppose,” he supplied.

“My grandmother taught me,” Aranxia smiled, “but it’s not a requirement. That’s what I love to do. And it was one of the conditions for my being allowed to come on this trip, that I document it thoroughly through paintings.” She wrinkled her nose. “Unfortunately, I think I’m running out of canvases … I’m doing more paintings than I thought I would, and we’re going to be here quite a while yet.”

“Oh?” Aennan glanced over at her. “Would you like me to come with you to get more, then?”

“I haven’t any money to buy any,” Aranxia replied apologetically. “But thanks for the offer.”

A gleam appeared in the water elf’s eyes, and he grinned at her. “Would you like a way to earn the money to get them?”

Aranxia’s brow furrowed. “How?”

Aennan grinned and pushed himself to his feet, brushed the sand from the back of his robe, and held a hand down to help Aranxia up as well. “Come with me and find out,” he winked at her.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:03 pm

Aennan brought Aranxia to his house, a small place overlooking the ocean, and held the door open for her to go inside first. She hesitated, looking anxiously at the open door, and then at Aennan.

“Is something wrong?” the young man asked anxiously, his brow furrowing anxiously.

Aranxia swallowed. “You … live here alone?” she asked softly.

He nodded, and Aranxia’s shoulders slumped. “I’m sorry, but I can’t go in,” she murmured. “Not without a third person …”

To her surprise, Aennan was not upset by the news. He simply smiled and shook his head slowly. “Of course,” he murmured softly. “I ought to have known, forgive me. If you will wait here, I’ll bring it out, then.” He gestured towards a chair on his front porch. “Make yourself comfortable.”

Aranxia smiled gratefully and took the chair so that she could wait comfortably. It was a lovely view, she had to say. The porch faced out towards the ocean, and in addition to the sun on the water, she could see a thin peninsula of land jutting out into the ocean. There didn’t seem to be much on it aside from a few trees, but it was quite beautiful. She wondered if Aennan would mind if she borrowed his porch for a few hours to paint the view sometime.

Only a minute later, Aennan was back, and he had a leather portfolio under one arm. He closed the door behind himself and knelt next to Aranxia’s chair. He opened the portfolio and took out some of the papers inside, spreading them across Aranxia’s lap to show her.

“I like to write stories,” he confided in her, turning the pages slowly so that she could see them, “and many of them are supposed to be for children … I have been searching for someone to provide illustrations for them.”

Aranxia skimmed the pages, but only briefly. She didn’t recognize any of the runes, so she had no idea what the pages said.

“And you want me to illustrate the stories?” she asked, looking over at him.

He smiled warmly at her. “If you’re interested. I don’t want to pressure you. But if you are interested, then you would get half the profit from each book sold. You would have money to buy your own canvases, new paints, and it would help with your bill at the inn.”

“So much?” Aranxia was surprised.

Aennan chuckled softly. “Yes. Especially since I would provide you with the supplies you would need for the books.”

Aranxia smiled and bit her lower lip as she thought about it. “You certainly do present a convincing case.”

“I certainly hope so,” he grinned back at her.

Aranxia looked over the pages again and ran her fingers lightly over them. She wished she could read what they said. She was intrigued.

“Tell me,” she said suddenly, turning in the chair, putting her elbow on the armrest and resting his chin in her hand, “in a place with as many people as this, surely there must be other artists. Why ask me?”

Aennan grinned up at her, his teal eyes sparkling. “Well … yes, I know of some artists. But they’re already making their own livings. Besides that, their style of art is just a little too realistic for me. I like your style. It’s all your own, and it’s beautiful. It’s what I’ve been looking for for a good long time now.”

Aranxia blushed, as much at the praise as the way he was looking at her so excitedly. “This means a lot to you, doesn’t it?”

Aennan chuckled and stood again. “I like my job, I like my employer, but this is what I’ve always wanted to do, ever since I found out that I knew stories that others didn’t. But to keep children’s attention … well, they like pictures. Even adults like a well done illustration. Books that are also art are the ones that are kept when choices need to be made.”

Aranxia smiled softly. She could see his passion, and it touched her. “Where would we work on it? Unless someone else were to come here, I can’t work on it here …”

“The library?” he suggested. “It’s where I work anyways, and Amanya wouldn’t mind.”

“That would be fine,” Aranxia agreed. “And when would we meet?”

Aennan pursed his lips. “Well … what if I pick you up at the inn in the morning on my way to the library? Take you back again afterwards?”

Aranxia’s smile widened. “I’d like that very much. Thank you. And- and thank you,” she said again, “for everything.”

He grinned back at her. “My pleasure.”
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:04 pm

Aranxia woke early, for once early enough that Lancaeriel had not yet left their room and Wren was still asleep.

“You’re up early today,” Lancaeriel smiled at her. “Big plans?”

Aranxia grinned. “I’m starting a job today,” she confided, keeping her voice down. “Illustrating stories for a friend. He’s going to come by to pick me up just after breakfast. We’re going to work at the library.”

Lancaeriel paused in the middle of brushing her hair and turned to grin at Aranxia. “Oh? He?”

“Aennan,” Aranxia blushed. “He’s a Water Elf, and he works at the library. He writes stories, and he’s been looking for someone to illustrate them. He says the style of the artists here isn’t right for the stories, but he really likes my work. And I’ll be paid for it, half the profit of every book sold.”

“And?” Lancaeriel pressed.

“And what?” Aranxia asked, feigning innocence. Her blush was growing deeper, though. She knew exactly what Lancaeriel was talking about.

The older woman laughed. “How did you meet?”

“I was painting on the beach and he complimented my work.” Aranxia turned away and busied herself with getting dressed.

Lancaeriel wasn’t finished with her though. “And?”

“And what?”

Lancaeriel left her chair and moved to stand behind Aranxia. “Princess, I don’t need the sun to be up or the candles to be lit to see how much you’re blushing,” she said softly. “You’ll find it’s very hard to keep secrets, especially when it concerns you and a person of the opposite gender. And you’ve got lots of people here who care for you and who want the best for you.”

Aranxia bit her lip to try to hide her smile. “All right. I like him. He’s funny, charming, caring, thoughtful … and he gets so excited about things, like Andarien and his gears … only … sweeter.”

“Mmhmm,” Lancariel grinned, putting one arm around Aranxia’s shoulders. She leaned closer and murmured, “And does he like you?”

Aranxia blushed again. “I don’t know. He likes my art, and he’d like my help in his work.”

“And that’s why he’s stopping by personally to pick you up,” Lancaeriel nodded. “I see. Anything else?”

“He showed me around the city,” Aranxia admitted.

“Did he offer or did you ask?”

“He offered.”

Lancaeriel grinned at Aranxia. “This is going to be fun, I think.”

“Come on,” Aranxia protested. “This isn’t fair.”

“Ah but joys such as this are not all that common,” Lancaeriel winked. “Besides, if we find my husband back again, I can promise you that you will get your chance to return the teasing.”

“Except that I’m not going on with you when you leave,” Aranxia reminded her. “I’ll be heading back home with Arwen and Roydon and the rest.”

“Ah, yes, of course.” Lancaeriel pursed her lips. “That does make things more difficult. Well, all I can say is, enjoy your time here, and who knows? Maybe he’ll go back with you. And if he doesn’t, you can always come back.”

“Perhaps.” Aranxia didn’t want to think that far ahead quite yet. “But anyways, he’s going to be here soon. I need to finish getting ready.”

“Allow me to help you,” Lancaeriel smiled. “Come, I’ll do your hair for you.”
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Aennan picked up Aranxia when he said he would, and despite his assurances that he would provide for her all the supplies she would need for her work, she brought her own paints and brushes anyways. He was carrying his own bag, but he offered to carry hers anyways, and she smiled, thanked him, and turned him down. His bag seemed heavy enough as it was.

She found out why just after they arrived at the library.

“Good morning,” called the librarian as the two of them entered.

“Good morning,” Aranxia replied with a shy smile.

“Morning,” Aennan called back cheerfully. “Amanya, this is Aranxia. She’s going to be helping me out with my books. Aranxia, this is Amanya, head librarian.”

Amanya smiled and raised one hand in greeting. “Welcome. It’s nice to know that someone’s going to help Aennan get his books finished; he’s been working on them for quite a while. Just make sure he doesn’t ignore his own work while you’re at it.”

“I’ll just get her set up and get right to work,” Aennan promised with a grin. “I’ll be back shortly.” He ushered Aranxia towards the nearest of the reading booths, and to Aranxia’s surprise – though thinking back it probably oughtn’t have surprised her – Shiro was in there with a book in front of him and his tablet in his hands. They exchanged a greeting and an apology and Aennan brought Aranxia to the next booth instead.

“Here,” he said, pulling a loose leaf book out of his bag and setting it on the table. “Why don’t you start with reading through a story, maybe get some ideas about what pictures you might do …”

“Only one problem with that,” Aranxia said quietly, her face growing warm. She tucked her hair behind her ears and watched anxiously as Aennan pulled out brushes and bottles of ink and water. “I … I can’t read your writing.”

Aennan blinked and tilted his head to look at the pages. “I … wrote my neatest …”

“No, no, it’s not about neatness,” Aranxia assured him, putting one hand on his. “It’s just … our writing systems are different. I know two different writing systems and both of them are different from yours.”

She reached for a blank sheet of paper and pulled a pencil from her bag. “Here, I’ll show you.”

She began to write on the paper, first spelling her own name, and then Aennan’s.

Aennan exhaled slowly, blowing out his cheeks. “Shades … that’s something I hadn’t considered … give me a minute to talk to Amanya, I’ll see if she won’t let me start late today.”

He gave her a reassuring smile, patted her on the shoulder, and headed off to speak to the head librarian.

While he was gone, Aranxia looked over the pages Aennan had given her. The writing itself was interesting: instead of individual runes for the sounds, they all seemed connected like a squiggly line, with dots and lines added here and there. She was curious to know how it worked.

“Okay,” Aennan said, returning and kneeling at the end of the table, “I’ve been given a bit of time, but I have to get back to work soon. How shall we do this?”

“Why don’t we first write down our writing systems and compare them,” Aranxia suggested. “Then maybe you can tell me the first story, and that way while you’re working, I can just translate if I have any questions. And rather than painting right away, I’ll do some sketches to see if you like what I’m thinking of before it becomes permanent.”

“Wonderful.” Aennan grinned. He stood up. “May I sit next to you?”

Aranxia giggled. “Of course. You can’t write from the floor. There’s room enough for both of us here.”

Aennan chuckled softly and slid onto the bench next to her. It was barely big enough for the both of them, and they had to sit close together, but neither of them minded, and neither of them mentioned it.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Considering how early Aranxia had been getting up every day for her work with Aennan, on Valenya she decided that she would sleep in a bit. She woke with a start to a hand on her shoulder, and looked up into the smiling face of Wren.

“Wake up, Aranxia,” Wren said softly, her eyes sparkling brightly. “The sun’s nearly up.”

Aranxia frowned and rubbed her eyes sleepily. “But not yet?” she mumbled. “Why are you waking me?”

Wren smiled and tilted her head in confusion. “Isn’t this the time you usually meet up with your friend?”

Aranxia yawned. “Yeah, but it’s Valenya … it’s his day off. No library.”

Wren laughed. “So says you, but he’s here, waiting for you in the dining room.”

What?” Aranxia threw back the blanket and jumped out of bed, and Wren had to jump back to keep from being hit. She was laughing, though.

“Shall I tell him you’ll be out shortly?” she grinned.

“Please,” Aranxia begged, scrambling for some clothes.

Wren laughed again and headed back for the door. “All right, all right. But don’t rush yourself, and I think he said something about bringing your bag and supplies.”

“Thanks,” Aranxia gasped, tugging a blouse over her head. “Please, go tell him before he goes off again!”

“Going!” Wren grinned. She slipped out the door and closed it behind herself.

Aranxia dressed as fast as she could and brushed her hair, tying a quick ribbon around it at the nape of her neck to keep it back, then grabbed her bag and ran to the dining room of the inn. There, she saw Aennan sitting with both Wren and Lancaeriel, chatting with them easily. She relaxed slightly and smiled warmly, and made sure to calm her breathing before making her way over to them.

She was still halfway across the room when Aennan looked up and spotted her, and he grinned widely and stood up. Wren and Lancaeriel looked over their shoulders and grinned widely, and Aennan didn’t sit again until Aranxia first took the seat next to him.

“Good morning,” he greeted her warmly.

Aranxia smiled and blushed hotly. “Good morning,” she returned the greeting softly. “I’m sorry I made you wait so long. I’m afraid I wasn’t expecting you today, and I let myself sleep in …”

“Don’t worry about it,” Aennan assured her with a sheepish grin. “I’m afraid I made an assumption. I apologize.”

“Oh, no need,” Aranxia said hastily. “Really.”

“Told you she wouldn’t mind you showing up without her expecting you,” Wren winked at Aennan.

Aranxia’s blush deepened, and she turned her eyes to the table in front of her.

“Wren, you’re worse than I am,” Lancaeriel chided her.

Wren laughed. “I know. Anyways, I’ve finished eating, so I’ll see all of you later. Aranxia, I’m going to make sure your aunt and uncle are here for dinner, so you make sure to be here with Aennan. Got it?”

Aranxia nodded meekly. “Got it. See you later, Wren.”

“I’m coming with you, Wren,” Lancaeriel spoke up, also standing. “We’ll see you both later. Have a wonderful day, Aranxia, Aennan.”

“See you,” Aranxia smiled, waving with just a few fingers.

“See you,” Aennan chorused, grinning.

Once the others were gone, Aennan looked over at Aranxia. “Look, I’m sorry for surprising you like this,” he said apologetically. “I know we didn’t plan on meeting today, but I have to say … it was hard to break the habit of seeing you every day.”

Aranxia blinked in surprise. She opened her mouth to speak, but she found that she couldn’t find any words to say. She was too shocked to be embarrassed, at least for a moment, and only once his words sank in did she feel her face growing warm.

Aennan looked down at the table and cleared his throat. “Sorry, that wasn’t really appropriate, was it?”

“No, it’s all right,” Aranxia said, finding her voice at last. “It’s just … you just took me by surprise, that’s all.” She smiled shyly at him. “Really, I’m flattered. And honoured. I … I really just don’t know what to say.”

Aennan smiled and leaned against his fist, his elbow on the table. “Say you’ll spend the day with me?” he asked her softly.

Aranxia’s smile grew wider. “I’ll spend the day with you,” she agreed in a murmur.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:05 pm

After a long breakfast, Aranxia and Aennan left the inn together.

“You mentioned something the other day about painting the view from my porch,” Aennan commented to Aranxia. “I thought … if you wanted to do that today, we could just relax afterwards …”

“And what will you do while I work, then?” Aranxia asked him with a gentle smile. “It may take a while. It’s a beautiful view, and I would want to do it justice.”

“My favourite pastime.” Aennan blushed faintly, and through his translucent skin she could see his pulse quickening slightly. “Watch you work.”

Aranxia giggled softly. Well, he was honest, anyways. “If you’re certain you won’t be bored,” she agreed.

When they arrived at Aennan’s house, Aennan went inside while Aranxia set up her easel and canvas. By the time she had her paints also set up, he was back, and he had with him several loose sheets of paper and a pencil.

“Writing?” Aranxia asked, selecting a brush and looking out towards the ocean.

“I have some ideas I’d like to get down,” he replied, settling into the chair once he saw that she would be standing. “Rough idea for a story.”

Aranxia laughed softly. “You’re going to keep me very busy, I think,” she smiled at him. She moved her easel a bit so that her view was changed: now she could paint Aennan sitting in his chair and working.

He didn’t seem to notice that he had become the subject of her painting, as his eyes were already focused on his paper. “Well … if I let you get bored, you might not want to help me anymore,” he replied with a grin.

He glanced up at Aranxia then and winked at her, and she giggled. “Well, if you say so,” she grinned back at him. “So get to work, then.”

She waited until he looked back down at his sheets before she began to paint.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Another week passed, and Aranxia finished illustrating the first of the stories that Aennan had written. She double checked her work before returning the pages to him, and Aennan tucked them into his own bag to finish them up that evening.

When Valenya hit again, Aennan met Aranxia outside the inn with a large wrapped package.

“Good morning,” he greeted her warmly.

“Good morning,” Aranxia replied, smiling widely. “What do you have there?”

“You’ll find out in good time,” he grinned back at her. “Don’t be nosy. Come, let’s go to the park. It will be quiet at this time of day.” He tucked the package under one arm and offered the other to Aranxia. She slipped her arm into the crook of his elbow, blushing lightly, and they started off.

The park was large, a few acres in size, and already the grass was beginning to turn a bright, lively shade of green. There were large trees all through it, and already flowers were sprouting in large flowerbeds. A small stream trickled through it, a path nearby, and here and there were wooden benches for people to rest on.

As early as it was, there were some children playing in the park, and Aranxia saw some games that she recognized and some that she didn’t. She felt very relaxed, very peaceful, and as usual, she was very comfortable with Aennan at her side.

“Here,” Aennan murmured, nodding at a bench close to the stream.

Aranxia sat and made herself comfortable. She was curious about the package, but she had refrained from asking about it, knowing that Aennan wasn’t going to tell her until he was good and ready for it. He sat next to her and leaned against the back of the bench, ignoring those around them, and smiled at her.

“Nice day, eh?” he said softly.

“Lovely,” Aranxia agreed. “But then, every day has been like this since we arrived. Of course, the days are warmer, but, aside from that, I don’t even think I’ve seen any clouds.”

Aennan chuckled. “Oh, it will rain eventually. It always does. It’s just been a nice stretch of sunshine.”

“It has.” Aranxia smiled and leaned back, clasping her hands in her lap to keep from fidgeting. She couldn’t help but eye the package that Aennan was still holding, and Aennan chuckled and set it beside him on the bench.

“All in good time,” he grinned, his eyes sparkling brightly.

Aranxia pouted. “You’re doing that on purpose, aren’t you?” she asked him, feigning exasperation.

Aennan laughed. “Yes.”

“Tease.”

He chuckled again. “Yes. I wanted to ask you something first, though. Then I’ll show you, I promise.”

Aranxia looked at him through narrow eyes, and he held up one hand, putting the other over his heart. “I, Aennan, do solemnly swear to show you what is in here directly after getting your answer to one question,” he said, indeed sounding very solemn.

It made Aranxia laugh, and she turned and put one arm over the back of the bench so that she could face her friend directly. “All right, I believe you,” she giggled. “What’s your question?”

Aennan imitated her actions, turning to face her as well, and grinned at her. “What would you like to do to celebrate the completion and sale of our first book?”

Aranxia blinked at him, stunned by both the simplicity and the complexity of the question.

“Completed?” she repeated.

Aennan chuckled and reached for the package behind him. He set it on Aranxia’s lap and nodded at it. “Open it.”

Silently, Aranxia pulled back the cloth wrapping, revealing a dark leather bound book, the cover etched in gold. The runes of the title glittered in the sunlight, and after all her time working with them, she was happy to be able to read it: Child of the Moon. Stunned, she opened the cover slowly. Inside, she saw the neat and elegant script of the story, and each page had one of her ink paintings in it. But something was different about them …

She looked up at Aennan, still unable to speak, and he smiled at her. “I treated the page so that the images would not lose their colour and so that they would be safe from damages.”

Aranxia nodded and turned back to the book. It had turned out far more beautifully than she had imagined it would.

“And it’s already sold?” she asked at last, looking up at Aennan once more. “How …”

He chuckled softly. “A couple in the city with a young daughter. They saw me leaving the library with the book and they made me an offer.”

Aranxia bit her lower lip anxiously. “I don’t know if I dare ask … but … how much?”

Aennan grinned and leaned close to whisper the amount in her ear. Her eyes grew wide and one hand flew to her mouth.

What?!” she gasped.

Aennan laughed. “And half of that is yours.”

Aranxia felt somewhat light-headed, and she had to lean back against the back of the bench again. “But … that’s … unbelievable,” she murmured. “That’s more than a month’s rent at the inn …”

“And plenty of canvases and paint supplies,” Aennan chuckled. He took Aranxia’s hands in his own. “And you still haven’t answered my question. What would you like to do to celebrate?”

Aranxia’s head was still spinning. “I … I don’t know,” she admitted. “I – I’m afraid you haven’t given me much of a chance to consider it.”

Aennan re-wrapped the book and tucked it under one arm again, then stood and held one hand out to Aranxia. “Then come with me,” he smiled at her. “I may have just the thing.”
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

After returning the book to his home, Aennan took Aranxia back into the city. He first brought her to the tailor’s where she was measured, and then she took her time and looked around at some of the materials while Aennan ordered something for her that afterwards he refused to tell her about. Then he brought her to the market and bought her a fresh raspberry pastry. From there, it was a new portfolio from the tanner; brushes, paints and canvases from the supply shop; and a new carrying case for her supplies. Aennan paid for it all, since he hadn’t yet given Aranxia her half of the money from the sale of the book, but she had no doubt that it would come out of her cut.

“Shall we deliver the book together?” Aennan asked her after they’d visited all the shops they could think of.

“After we bring all of this back to the inn?” Aranxia suggested in turn.

“Agreed.” Aennan chuckled and helped her to carry her purchases back to the inn.

After that they headed back to his home and picked up the book, and then once again they made their way into the city. Aranxia had no idea where they were going, though clearly Aennan did. It was a long walk, but eventually they arrived at a cozy looking house with smoke rising from its marble chimney. Aennan smiled at Aranxia and knocked at the door.

The door was opened by a brown-haired human who smiled broadly when he saw the two of them standing there.

“Welcome,” he said warmly. “Come in, come in. You have the book, yes? Come, we have your payment in the other room.”

“Thank you.” Aennan smiled and let Aranxia enter first, then stepped in after her.

Before the door was even closed, a little girl, maybe three or four years old, ran into the room. She had brown skin and sandy hair, and her eyes were a matching shade of brown.

“Papa, Papa!” she exclaimed excitedly. “Is that the story, Papa?”

The man chuckled and scooped her up. “It certainly is, sweetie. And these are the people who made it. This is Aennan, he wrote the story, and …”

He trailed off and looked at Aranxia, who blushed.

Aennan chuckled. “Aranxia. She did the pictures.”

“Pictures!” the little girl squealed, clapping her hands together.

Aranxia laughed softly. Aennan passed over the wrapped book, and the man put it down on a nearby table.

“I’ll be right back,” he promised, setting his daughter down and going through a doorway.

The little girl made a beeline for the book and pulled the cloth away. “Shiny,” she oohed, running her hands over the front cover. She opened it and flipped to the first page of the story. Her eyes lit up brightly, and she reached her elbows over the table and pushed herself up so that her toes were dangling and she was able to see the pages better. Aennan and Aranxia exchanged a glance and grinned.

“Here you are,” said the man, coming back into the room with two bulky coin pouches. “Three hundred.”

Aennan bowed as he accepted the pouches. “Thank you, sir. I hope you enjoy the book.”

“Trust me, I shall,” the man chuckled. “We all will.” He grinned at Aranxia. “It truly is a work of art. Thank you both.”

Aranxia smiled and bowed her head. She wasn’t sure what to say, so she kept silent.

When they left the house, Aennan passed one of the pouches to Aranxia. “Yours,” he grinned at her.

Aranxia blinked at him in surprise. “You’re not going to take out the cost of the things you bought for me today?”

“I hope I didn’t give you the impression I was going to ask for that money back,” he replied, equally surprised. “No … that was all a gift from me.”

Aranxia was astonished. “But … there was so much!” she exclaimed. “Why?”

Aennan stopped in his tracks and stared at her. He seemed confused about something. “Why?” he repeated. “Why? Aranxia, isn’t it obvious?”

The heat rose in Aranxia’s cheeks, and she lowered her gaze self-consciously. “I … um …”

Aennan took her chin in his hand and raised it so that her eyes met his. He smiled softly, and she blushed hotly. He chuckled quietly. “Still need a hint?”

Aranxia’s face grew even warmer, and she shook her head, keeping her eyes fixed on his. His grin widened, and he pressed his lips gently to her forehead. “Come on,” he murmured softly. “Let’s take a walk before I take you back to the inn for the night.”
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:06 pm

It was another week before Aranxia discovered exactly what Aennan had ordered for her at the tailor’s, though truth be told she had been so preoccupied that week that she had nearly forgotten about the surprise in the first place.

She had been a bit surprised the night before when Aennan had apologized upon returning her to the inn for the night, saying that he would be a few hours later picking her up the next morning, as he had a necessary errand to run. When she protested that she would be more than happy to go with him, he simply smiled and shook his head, explaining that she deserved to sleep in for once. Confused and slightly disappointed, she had agreed reluctantly, and that night she’d had difficulty falling asleep, to the point where Wren (half asleep and not really realizing what she was doing) had thrown a pillow at her and threatened to toss her out into the hallway.

In the morning, she was up and about very early. She didn’t want to bother Wren and Lancaeriel any further, so she dressed silently, had a quick breakfast in the dining room, and brought her painting supplies outside. This time the inn itself was her subject, though she kept looking over her shoulder, eager for Aennan’s arrival.

Eventually, Wren joined Aranxia outside. She still seemed tired, and she had to cover a yawn as she headed towards her young friend.

“What are you doing here?” she asked Aranxia, coming to stand beside her.

“Painting,” Aranxia replied with a shrug.

Wren massaged her forehead with her thumb and forefinger. “Well, I can see that … but why are you here alone, I guess is what I wanted to ask.”

Aranxia shrugged again, trying to appear nonchalant. “Aennan said he would be a few hours late today,” she answered softly. “He has something to do on his own.”

“Ah.” Wren’s eyes filled with pity, and she smiled faintly at Aranxia. “No wonder you couldn’t sleep last night.”

Aranxia blushed. “Sorry.”

Wren waved the apology aside. “Don’t worry about it. You’ve got enough on your mind.” She smiled and gestured towards a small table in the inn yard. “Game of chess while you’re waiting?” she asked.

Aranxia bit her lower lip thoughtfully, glancing back and forth between the table and her painting. “Well …”

Wren chuckled and tilted her head bemusedly. “Look, if you’re spending all your time looking over your shoulder, you’re never going to get that painting finished anyways,” she pointed out. “At least chess is something you can stop any time and not need another quarter hour to clean up once he does arrive.”

Aranxia laughed. “All right, you’ve convinced me. Help me clean this up, and it won’t take a quarter hour.”

“Deal.” Wren grinned.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

It was noon before Aranxia had word from Aennan. Even Wren had grown tired of chess by that time and gone off into the city, and Lancaeriel had long since disappeared. Daeron and Iorlas had spent a bit of time chatting with her, and then she had once again been left alone. She’d finished her painting of the inn and had a light lunch, then returned outside to paint again. This time, she painted herself and Wren playing chess at the small table. She had just finished painting in herself when a young man, his hair streaked with black and gold, approached her.

“Princess Aranxia Aldrich?” he said hesitantly.

She lowered her brush and looked at him. “Yes?”

He smiled at her. “I have a delivery for you,” he told her, opening a bag that hung from one of his shoulders.

Aranxia blinked at him and set her brush down. “For me?” she repeated in surprise. “From whom?”

“There’s a letter here,” he said, taking out a sealed letter. “He said to read that first.”

“First?” Aranxia took the letter from him and turned it over in her hands. There was nothing on the outside, and she wondered again who might have sent it. Aennan would surely have come himself if he could, wouldn’t he?

A sudden fear gripped her. What if something had happened, and he couldn’t?

“And there are also these,” the messenger added, pulling out some wrapped packages. He looked at her. “Would you like some help with carrying anything?”

Aranxia looked at the packages. There were four of them, each of them a different size, ranging from the size of a fist to the size of several books wrapped together. She nodded. “Please.”

The man bowed his head and smiled, and Aranxia led the way into the inn. She trusted that her paints would be safe until she could put them away, which she told herself she would do as soon as the messenger had gone. She showed him to her room, and he set the packages on her bed and bowed to her.

“Thank you,” she told him.

“Most welcome,” he replied with a smile. “Have a lovely day.”

And then he was gone.

Aranxia didn’t feel as if she was having a lovely day, but she didn’t say anything. She was too intrigued. She set the letter on top of one of the packages, then headed out to pack up her painting things again.

The first thing she did after putting her paints away was open the letter that was still sitting atop one of the packages. She wasn’t sure what she would find, but she was reassured by the thought that at least now she would be able to read the local script.

To her surprise, when she opened the letter, it was written in her own runes, as perfectly as if done by a scribe who had been using them his entire life.

A scribe …

She couldn’t hold back a small laugh. Aennan must have taught himself her runes, just as she had learned to read his script.

Excitement growing within her, she read the letter eagerly.

Aranxia,
Forgive me for being unable to meet you as I promised. An emergency
has arisen with my sister-in-law, and I must take care of her while my
brother is gone. He hopes to be back sometime this afternoon, however,
and then I shall be yours again. Until then, please open the packages that
I sent to you. I had hoped to give them to you myself, but alas, fate is not
on our side. Please open the second largest package first; it goes by itself.
Do not worry if it fits tightly, it is meant to be worn for swimming, and is
designed to be so. As for the rest, it all goes together, and if you would be
so kind as to wear it this evening and await me just outside the inn at
sundown, I would be honoured.
Until then, I remain,
Your humble servant.

It was unsigned, but Aranxia had no doubt that it was indeed Aennan who had sent her the letter and the parcels. She read the letter through a few more times, and each time her smile grew wider, until it actually began to hurt. He hadn’t abandoned her. He was helping out his family during an emergency. And it was clear now what his morning errand had been.

At length, she forced herself to set the letter aside, and turned her attention to the packages. The one she had been directed to open first was soft and floppy, and she sat on the edge of the bed as she opened it. Inside were two separate items: a pair of short leggings, and a short dress. It looked almost like underclothes, she mused, and she wondered if they would fit as closely as a chemise. Flowers, swirls and bubbles in eight different shades of blue, it was fascinating to look at - and, if she was being honest, it was far removed from anything she had ever seen before.

She smiled bemusedly and folded the items again, setting them aside so that she could open the other packages. Here she was faced with a choice: largest to smallest? Or smallest to largest? Well, it made no difference, she supposed.

She reached for the largest parcel and opened it up. Inside was a mass of shimmering material. When she pulled it out, she gasped with delight. It was a dress: crushed velvet – burgundy – accented with golden satin trim around the waist and arms. The overskirt was the same crushed velvet, and an opening in the front displayed the golden satin beneath it. From each arm hung a tippet, burgundy velvet on the outside, gold satin on the inside; showy, but not impractical.

Aranxia was stunned. She had grown up in a palace, been given anything she had ever needed, much that she had merely wanted … and this was both the most beautiful and the most precious article of clothing that she had ever received.

She laid the dress across the bed and, dazed, reached for the next package. Inside of that was a pair of shoes, but they were shoes unlike any she had seen before. Only the bottoms were leather, and that part was invisible when she put them on. The rest was more slipper than shoe: comfortable and exactly her size, they were made of the same crushed velvet as the dress was.

She was about to reach for the final package when the door opened and Lancaeriel stepped inside. She stopped in surprise when she saw Aranxia, not even fully through the door.

“Aranxia,” she murmured softly, “correct me if I’m wrong … but … oughtn’t you be out at this time of day?”

Aranxia’s eyes sparkled, and she held up the shoes. “Aennan has sent me gifts in place of himself today,” she replied with a grin. “He had an emergency, but he sent me some clothes and asked me to wear them tonight when he picks me up at sundown.”

“Clothes?” Lancaeriel closed the door and stepped closer. “May I see?”

Aranxia grinned and set the shoes down so that she could pick up the dress. She held it in front of herself.

Lancaeriel gasped, and her eyes grew wide. “It’s beautiful!” she exclaimed. “And the shoes as well?”

Aranxia laughed and laid the dress down again carefully. “Yes. And something else I haven’t opened yet. Care to open it with me?”

“I’d love to watch, anyways,” Lancaeriel grinned. “Come on, you’ve got me excited now.”

Aranxia giggled and picked up the final package, the smallest one. She opened it and found a small black box. Inside, she saw the same burgundy material that the dress was made of. The box had three compartments in it: in one was a necklace; in the second, a bracelet; in the third, a pair of earrings. Each was made of silver – the real thing, she knew how to tell – and each item had a ruby set into it.

Aranxia and Lancaeriel stared at the items in the box, then at each other, both of them stunned into silence.

Lancaeriel was the first to find her voice back.

“Do you think he has feelings for you?’ she asked faintly.

Aranxia smiled widely, blushing hotly. Lancaeriel laughed and hugged Aranxia, then held her at arm’s length. “Now don’t you waste any time,” she grinned. “You go take a nice hot bath and then get back here so that I can help you dress. Understand?”

Aranxia laughed and nodded. “I’ll go now!”

“Good!” Lancaeriel laughed again. “And don’t you waste any time.”
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Aranxia was already outside and waiting for Aennan before the sun set that evening. She was wearing the clothes that he had sent her. The dress and shoes fit her perfectly and were very comfortable, and she couldn’t help but smile at Aennan’s foresight. Lancaeriel had taken care of Aranxia’s hair, brushing it until it was soft and pinning it up for her. Then she’d put on the jewelry, which complemented her skin and the dress perfectly.

The only thing she took outside with her was a small book, tiny enough to fit into an inside pocket of her cloak (which she wore because it was quite cool outside by this time), and a small coin pouch which she tied to her waist. She didn’t know what Aennan was planning, and she wanted to be prepared for anything.

For the first while that she waited, she couldn’t concentrate on her book, however. She kept looking up every few seconds to see if Aennan was on his way yet. But after a while, she settled down, and eventually she became engrossed.

She hadn’t even realized that the sun was setting when suddenly she felt a light touch on her shoulder. She started and nearly dropped the book, and when she looked up, she was looking into Aennan’s watery teal eyes.

“Don’t you apologize for startling me,” she grinned at him before he could speak. “Or for not making it out here earlier.”

“You leave me apology-less,” Aennan chuckled softly.

Aranxia giggled and tucked her book away. “At last.” She took his proffered hand and stood, and Aennan grinned and took a step back.

“I never thought it possible,” he murmured quietly, “but you’re even more beautiful than I remembered.”

Aranxia blushed hotly, but she laughed. “Flatterer.” She took the opportunity to give him a good look, though, too: he was wearing a hunter green tunic with gold and burgundy accents and black leggings. It suited him very well, offsetting the blues and greens of his hair and the paleness of his skin.

“So,” Aranxia smiled, stepping closer to him and taking his hand again, “where are we going? I presume somewhere very fancy, considering your gifts.” She squeezed his hand tightly. “Thank you for all of it. I think I’ve never been so speechless in my life.”

Aennan smiled widely and leaned over to kiss her on the cheek. “You’re very welcome,” he murmured softly. “I have to admit, considering that I’ve never bought clothes for a female before, I don’t think I did too badly.”

“Not in the least,” Aranxia giggled. “Now, where are we going? I’m curious.”

“You’ll find out,” he grinned.

Aranxia sighed in mock exasperation, but inside she was only growing more excited. He was leading her into the city – but where else would they go? That told her nothing.

“How is your sister-in-law?” she asked him, suddenly remembering the reason he had been able to meet her earlier at the inn. “Is she all right?”

“She’s doing much better, thanks,” Aennan smiled. “She was not feeling well this morning. Very ill, I ought to say. But she’s doing much better now. She and my brother have invited us to dinner an evening this week. I took the liberty of accepting, though without setting a specific day. I hope you don’t mind.”

“Not at all!” Aranxia assured him. “I must admit, I’m looking forward to meeting them. But if your sister-in-law isn’t feeling well, perhaps we should wait a few days … I wouldn’t want to overtax her, after all.”

“Isilya?” he suggested.

Aranxia smiled. “Sounds good to me. And you know, I think it’s about time you told me their names.”

Aennan chuckled. “My brother’s name is Lykor. He’s eighteen years my senior, which is why I was so young when he married and moved here. His wife is human, her name is Galanna.”

Aranxia nodded. “And your brother is …”

“The city’s best fisherman,” he explained. “When he’s out, there’s no way to contact him until he’s back. That’s why I had to stay with Galanna until he returned.”

“I see,” Aranxia murmured. She walked a bit closer to him and rested her head on his shoulder. He was a scholar, but he was not a typical scholar. He was very well built from keeping himself in shape with swimming. He was a water elf, after all.

Aennan smiled and put his arm around her, pulling her close. “Galanna does needlework, usually for clothing or pouches or something. She’s very good at what she does … but then, most people tend to be, I find.”

“To be fair, I find that most people tend to settle into an occupation that they have a talent with,” Aranxia pointed out.

Aennan chuckled softly. “True.” He hugged her gently before releasing her, turning her towards the building they had just reached. “Here. This is our destination.”

Aranxia looked up at the sign and sounded out the script. “The … Galley?”

“It’s nicer than it sounds,” Aennan assured her. He took her hand again. “Come.”

He opened the door for her and let her lead the way inside. The interior of the place was indeed much more beautiful than the name made it sound. It was a fairly large restaurant, its tables set neatly with white tablecloths, a flower in a vase, and two tall candles. Only those with customers had lit candles, as the rest were kept fresh for when customers did come.

Two men came to greet them as they entered.

“May I take your cloaks?” one of them offered, bowing to the two of them.

Aranxia reached up to unclasp her cloak, but she was too slow: Aennan had already reached around her to remove it for her. She blushed and smiled at him, and he winked at her before passing her cloak and his to the man who had asked for them.

The other man smiled warmly at them. “Come, this way.”

He brought them to a table near the back of the room, away from others, and Aennan pulled out Aranxia’s chair for her before sitting across from her. The man proceeded to light their candles, then handed each of them a menu.

“Something to drink while you decide what you would like to eat?” he asked them with a smile.

Aennan looked across the table at Aranxia. “What do you think?”

Aranxia folded her hands on the table. “I would ask after your wines, but I’m afraid I would know nothing about the wines here,” she admitted.

“That’s fine,” he smiled. “Do you prefer white or red?”

“Why don’t you order something?” Aranxia suggested.

Aennan nodded and turned back to their waiter. “Do you have any white Orim Butturwyr?”

“Fourth Age 5 and older,” the man replied with a smile.

Aennan smiled. “That will be fine, thank you. Two glasses, please, and leave the bottle.”

The waiter bowed and left them, and Aranxia fixed her attention on Aennan. “Are we planning on being here a while?” she asked him with a smile.

He smiled back at her and reached across the table, setting his hand on hers. “Well, there’s no point in rushing, is there?” he asked her in reply.

Aranxia blushed, but this time she didn’t look away. “No point at all,” she murmured contentedly.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:07 pm

It wasn’t until the wee hours of the morning that Aranxia returned to the inn, when the night was far closer to dawn than the previous sunset. She slipped into the room she shared with Lancaeriel and Wren as silently as she could, but it was no use: both women were awake and waiting for her, sitting up and playing a silent game of fanorona. When Aranxia stepped into the room, both women looked up at her.

“You’re back,” Lancaeriel sighed with relief, leaning back tiredly against the back of her chair.

Wren was looking Aranxia over. “You were out for a very long time,” she said softly. “Most of the night, in fact.”

“We were worried,” Lancaeriel put in gently, clearly trying to make up for Wren’s suspicious tone.

“You bet we were worried,” Wren frowned. “It’s been hours, Aranxia. Where were you?”

“I’m sorry,” Aranxia said anxiously, closing the door gently behind herself. “I didn’t know I would be gone that long.”

Lancaeriel smiled softly. “Where did you go?” she asked, giving Wren a look that clearly said Be quiet.

Aranxia smiled widely and pulled off her cloak. “He first took me to a restaurant for dinner,” she said softly, savouring the memory just as she had the experience. She laid her cloak across her bed, and in doing so she completely missed the look of surprise and awe that appeared on Wren’s face. It was Wren’s first time seeing Aranxia’s new clothes, as she had not been around before Aranxia had left.

“It was wonderful,” Aranxia went on obliviously. She clasped her hands together and turned back to her roommates. “The dinner was delicious, and we talked for ever so long … and there were musicians there, and when we had finished eating we danced and danced and danced …”

Her eyes sparkled brightly, and she began to twirl herself across the floor, humming softly. Wren and Lancaeriel caught each other’s eye and grinned.

“And then when the restaurant closed for the night,” Aranxia went on, still twirling, “we went for a walk along the beach … oh, it was so beautiful, with the moonlight on the water, and the stars – I’ve never seen them so clearly!”

Lancaeriel laughed and rose from her seat and, catching Aranxia by the hands, stopped her from twirling. “Well, the night is far gone … you’d best get some rest if you’re going to go back to work in the morning.”

Aranxia laughed and hugged the older woman. “I know. But I don’t know if I’ll be able to! I’ve never felt this way before!”

Lancaeriel giggled. “You’re in love, dear. I recognize the signs. But trust me, you’ll regret it if you don’t sleep. Here, I’ll help you undress.”

She turned Aranxia around and began to unlace the dress. Wren watched in silence. She of course had no experience with love, but from watching Aranxia, it looked like a wonderful thing. She also suddenly had a feeling that she knew how her father must feel, with her being so far away from him and him having no idea what she was doing.

She smiled and rose to get Aranxia’s night clothes for her. She would try harder not to be hard on Aranxia if she came home late again.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Despite the lateness of the hour when Aranxia and Aennan had returned to their respective homes, neither of them was late the following morning. They were a few minutes late at the library, though, and the two quickly went about their own jobs.

Aranxia had been working only a short while when she had a visitor. She felt a shadow over her, though no light was blocked, and she looked up to see Amanya, the half-light elf, half-dark elf librarian whom she had come to know fairly well in the past few weeks. She blinked at her. It was the first time she’d come to talk to Aranxia in her time there, and it was unexpected.

“Good morning,” she greeted her. “Can I help you with anything?”

Amanya hesitated a moment, her brow furrowing slightly. “Yes,” she said at last. “I … would like to speak with you, if you have some time …”

“Oh?” Aranxia blinked at her again, and rather than putting more ink on her brush, she dipped it into the water. “Now is fine, if it works for you.”

Amanya nodded, just once, and turned slightly. “Come. Please.”

Intrigued and slightly uneasy, Aranxia prepared her work so that she could leave it for a while and then followed after Amanya. Amanya took her to the children’s reading room of the library and let the curtain fall loose to cover the doorway.

“Is something wrong?” Aranxia asked, folding her arms in an attempt to calm her nerves.

Amanya turned to her, still looking as if she were searching for the right words to say.

“I … wanted to talk to you about Aennan,” she said finally. “I … could not help but notice that the two of you are growing very close …”

Aranxia nodded, her heart pounding in her chest.

“I don’t wish to alarm you,” Amanya assured her swiftly, “but … I just wish to speak with you about him. Aennan is very dear to me. When he first arrived here with his brother, his brother struggled to support him and his wife. It was I who stepped in to help out. I taught Aennan to read, to write, told him stories, taught him his lessons … and he has always been very good. A model student, a model worker … a model person.”

Aranxia nodded again. She didn’t know what she was expected to say – or how she should feel.

Amanya sighed. “I don’t wish to make you feel bad, but … Aennan has not been doing his work as well since he brought you here. He has been late, left off his duties …”

Now Aranxia was puzzled. “Please, was today not the first time he was late?” she interrupted. “And he has been doing his work … I don’t even see him here except at lunch.”

“He barely finishes the half of what he used to,” the librarian said firmly. “He’s been spending more time daydreaming than working.”

“Then is that not something of which you should speak with him, rather than me?” Aranxia pointed out.

“I will,” Amanya replied quickly, “have no doubt of it. But before I speak with him, I must ask you … and please bear in mind that I do this with his best interests in mind … how serious are you about your relationship with him? Because if this is serious, then I can excuse his distraction; but if he’s only going to be hurt, then I must intervene.”

Aranxia blinked at her. Words failed her, she was so shocked by Amanya’s bluntness. On the one hand, she was glad to know that Aennan was not just amazing to her, but all around; but on the other hand, the implication that she might be toying with him was downright insulting.

“I … forgive me,” she apologized, feeling somewhat lightheaded. “I must admit, I’m rather stunned by what you’re saying. The idea that anyone at all would lead someone on, pretend to be sincere when in fact they are not, is unthinkable, but to suggest that I might be doing just that is … it’s just …”

She stuttered to a halt, feeling angrier than she ever had before.

Amanya sighed sadly. “I didn’t mean that you would be doing something like that, I simply meant that you are only visiting here. You are young, and my understanding is that your parents are still in the place where you are from. When your ship sails … what happens then? Do you stay here and have your family despair of seeing you again? Do you leave, and leave him behind, alone?”

Aranxia set her lips tightly to keep her temper from flaring. “What kind of a person do you think I am? Do you not think that I would rather tear my own heart out than do such a thing to him? I may be young, but I do know what love is. I have seen love that boggles the mind, that transcends millennia, and goes against all that society and culture hold dear. I have seen it change monsters into the most caring and docile people that exist. I know people who have crossed worlds to be with the one they love. I am not a fool.”

She swallowed, fighting to control herself.

“I know that it has not been so long since I met Aennan,” she told Amanya angrily but calmly, “but he has changed me in a way that I would never have imagined possible. You have described him as a model student and worker, but I must go beyond that and say that he is beyond a doubt the most amazing person that I have ever met. I can no longer imagine myself without him, and if it his wish that we remain together for all of time, then with all my heart, that is what we shall do.”

She glared at Amanya, breathing deeply to calm herself, though she wasn’t entirely certain it was working. She was the one who had helped to seal the rift between her grandparents, but even her grandmother had not been as angry as she herself felt at this moment, she was sure. In fact, she couldn’t remember ever seeing anyone as angry as she felt at this moment.

Her only consolation at this time was that she had at least maintained her decorum, kept her voice down, and said nothing personal or insulting. She had lived up to her position and her training. She was an Aldrich, and she had not shamed her name.

Amanya’s bi-coloured eyes were shining, but she stood proudly and did not turn away. She simply stared at Aranxia for several long moments before giving her a single, slight nod.

“I can respect that,” she said quietly. “And I apologize for seeming so insensitive. I could not otherwise have been so certain of you. Aennan is like a son to me, and now I can rest assured that I needn’t worry about him.”

Once again Aranxia was stunned, and this time she truly could not find words to express … anything.

Amanya smiled softly and put one hand on Aranxia’s shoulder. “Thank you,” she murmured.

And with that she was gone, leaving Aranxia alone with her confused thoughts.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Aennan was working upstairs in the library, writing out a transcription of one of the texts from another country, when he saw an unfamiliar rune. He had been working on transcriptions for several years now, and the fact that most of the books in the library were written in the Caras Galadhonian script was primarily thanks to him. But occasionally, he still found something new, and whenever that happened he would simply go down to Amanya, get her to tell him how to transcribe it, add it to his personal lexicon, and continue on with his work.

He rose from his chair and stretched. Well, there was no sense in wasting any time. He needed that rune, and he might as well get it right away. He rummaged through his bag for his lexicon, turned to the page for the language from which he was transcribing, and added the rune to the page; then he tucked the lexicon into a pocket and headed for the stairs.

Most people were unaware of the fact that the library had a second floor, and this was done intentionally by Amanya, who had helped to design it, with the intention of having a safe place to keep the rarest or most precious of books as well as some private rooms in which to work in peace. The stairway was located in the smaller children’s reading room behind a thick floor-to-ceiling tapestry. It kept most of the sound out, and also worked as a bit of an insulator.

He headed down the stairs, and he was about to pull aside the tapestry when he heard a voice in the room on the other side. He lowered his hand. He knew it wasn’t reading time for the children, but he didn’t want to interrupt whatever was going on in there. He was about to return upstairs when he realized it was Aranxia speaking, and he couldn’t help himself: he stopped to listen.

“… is unthinkable, but to suggest that I might be doing just that is … it’s just …”

Something prickled inside Aennan, and without realizing it he clenched his fists tightly. Someone was bothering Aranxia …

To his surprise, it was Amanya’s voice that responded, though it was so soft that he had trouble hearing what she said.

“… you would do … simply meant … you are only visiting … your parents … when your ship sails … leave him behind …”

He blinked. They were discussing him!

He couldn’t help himself. He took half a step closer to the tapestry to listen in.

“What kind of person do you think I am?” came Aranxia’s voice. He could tell that she was angry, but her voice was very quiet. He could barely hear her through the thick tapestry. “Do you not think that I would rather tear my heart out than do such a thing to him? I may be young, but I know what love is.”

Aennan’s heart skipped a beat, and he missed the next bit. Did she mean what he thought she meant?

When his thoughts finally cleared, it had gone quiet in the next room. He rubbed the back of his neck and took a deep breath, and was about to go through when he heard Amanya’s voice again, barely audible.

“I … respect … insensitive … could not … you … rest assured …”

And then everything went silent.

Aennan waited for a few moments, and was about to reach for the tapestry once more when he heard a soft sob. He didn’t know who it was, and he wasn’t sure what to do. He hesitated for a moment, then, intent on pretending he hadn’t heard anything, he pulled back the tapestry and stepped into the other room. It was empty, but the curtain over the door was waving as if someone had just left. He gave it another minute before pulling back the curtain himself and heading out to the front desk.

As he walked across the wide room, he glanced at the booth where Aranxia always worked. She was there, but she wasn’t working: she had her face in her hands and had pushed her work away. A cold wave swept over Aennan, but he kept his face impassive and continued over to ask Amanya about the unidentified rune.

“Amanya,” he said softly, stopping in front of her desk.

She looked up at him and smiled. “Yes?”

He reached into his pocket and pulled out his lexicon. “I’ve come across another new rune. Do you recognize it?”

The librarian leaned forward to look at it. “Yes … it’s the same as both our ath and our ay. The exact transcription depends on the word.”

Aennan nodded and wrote in the proper transcription. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Amanya smiled. “Anything else?”

Aennan nodded and leaned on his knuckles on the desk, leaning forward so that he was closer to his employer.

“One more thing,” he said quietly, fighting to keep control of himself. He couldn’t control his eyes, though, and they were blazing with anger. “If you have a concern about me, you ask me. You leave Aranxia alone.”

He tucked his lexicon back into his pocket and turned and walked away.

He started back towards the reading room so that he could return upstairs to his work, but after only a few steps, he changed direction and instead headed towards Aranxia.

“Hey,” he said softly, standing next to her. His eyes were filled with concern, and he put one hand tenderly on her shoulder. “Are you all right?”

She looked up at him, and when he saw how red her eyes were, he didn’t hesitate, but slid onto the bench beside her and put one arm around her. She laid her head on his shoulder, and he held her close.

“Ignore her,” he murmured softly. “She won’t bother you again. I promise.”
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:15 pm

“I feel like I’m coming to meet your parents,” Aranxia confided nervously to Aennan. They were on their way to his brother and sister-in-law’s house for dinner, and though Aranxia had been fine while she’d been working that day, the moment they’d packed up and left the library, she had begun to become somewhat nervous.

Aennan smiled and squeezed her hand reassuringly. “It will be fine,” he told her warmly. “It’s not as if you’re obligated to impress them. I’m sure you will, but that’s not the point of this. Yes, they’ve been the only parents I have ever known, but they aren’t my parents. Lykor is my brother. So don’t worry too much about it.”

Aranxia nodded, but it still didn’t help her nerves.

Despite the fact that Lykor was a water elf and a fisherman, his house was located near the center of the city, and due to this fact it was a relatively short walk from the library. It was a cozy little white-bricked house with some small bushes in front. The yard was neat, but nothing special. There was a rocking chair on the front porch, but it was empty.

“They don’t spend much effort on the property,” Aennan explained, seeing Aranxia’s glance around, “but inside is beautiful.”

Aranxia just nodded as they stepped up onto the porch.

Aennan knocked, and a voice from inside called, “Come on in.”

With another reassuring smile at Aranxia, Aennan opened the door and motioned for her to enter. As she did so, he called in, “Hi, Galanna, it’s me. I’ve got Aranxia with me.”

“Oh, good!” came a voice from through a doorway. “Come into the living room, let me meet her!”

“Be right there!” Aennan set his bag on the floor next to the door and directed Aranxia to do the same, then took her cloak and hung it on a hook and did the same with his own. With a smile, he ushered her through the doorway to the living room, where his sister-in-law was waiting for them.

Aranxia was surprised by what she saw. The living room was, as Aennan has promised, quite beautiful, with tapestries covering most of the walls and intricate embroidery on just about every fabric surface – pillows, cushions, curtains, rugs, and even the doilies under the potted flowers around the room. But what surprised Aranxia was Aennan’s sister-in-law herself.

She was human, which Aranxia had known ahead of time; and under other conditions she might have been very pretty. She was small, very thin, and nearly as pale as a water elf. Her brown hair was pulled back in a low braid, and despite the fact that Aranxia knew she was not old at all, even in human terms, her hair was streaked with gray. Her brown eyes were bright, but that was the only thing that looked lively about her. If Aranxia had to choose only one word to describe her appearance, it would be frail.

She was lying on a couch, a blanket covering most of her body, and she had an embroidery hoop in one hand and a needle in the other. She lowered them both when Aennan and Aranxia entered the room, and smiled broadly at both of them.

“Welcome, welcome,” she said warmly, holding out her two empty hands to greet them. “It’s about time you came!”

“Well, we wanted to give you a chance to recover from Valenya,” Aennan protested, taking both her hands and giving them a light squeeze. “You weren’t doing so well then.”

Galanna laughed softly. “Well, thanks, I guess. Now come, come, I want to meet your friend!”

Aranxia blushed as Aennan put one arm around her shoulders and drew her closer. “Galanna, this is Aranxia Aldrich. Aranxia, my brother’s wife, Galanna.”

“I’m so glad to finally meet you, Aranxia,” Galanna said warmly, holding one hand out to her. “Aennan’s told me so much about you.”

Aranxia took the woman’s hand and smiled shyly. “I’m afraid he hasn’t told me an awful lot about you,” she said apologetically. “I hope it didn’t turn out to be a bad time to visit … perhaps we should have given you a few more days to recover …”

“Oh, nonsense,” Galanna beamed. “I feel better than I have in a long time.” At Aranxia’s doubtful look, she turned her attention back to Aennan. “You really didn’t tell her much, did you?” she asked him in an accusatory tone.

Aennan rubbed the back of his neck. “Well … I suppose I thought it was your place to tell her,” he said sheepishly.

Galanna pushed herself into a sitting position and leaned against the back of the couch. “It’s not like it’s a private matter.” Turning back to Aranxia, she explained. “When we were on our way here from our homelands, we were attacked. We never did find out exactly who did it. Fortunately, I was the only one hit … but it was poisoned. There’s no cure, exactly, but there is medication that can put off most of the poison’s effects. I need to take the medication every day, and it’s keeping me here.”

“I’m sorry,” Aranxia said softly, her eyes filled with pity.

Galanna waved one hand as if waving the comment away. “I’m here, I’m with the man I love, and I’m happy. I could ask for nothing more. It’s not as if I’m ever bored.”

Aranxia giggled softly, looking around at all of the embroidery. “So I see. It’s very beautiful. You have a wonderful talent.”

“Thank you.” Galanna’s eyes glimmered. “I’m fortunate enough to be able to still do the work I love. Many are not so lucky.” She turned to Aennan. “Hey, Aennan, can you do me a favour? Go to the kitchen and light the oven? Once it’s hot, put in the bread pan? It’s been rising since yesterday so it’s ready.”

“And take off the cloth, I know,” Aennan chuckled. “Sure.” He grinned and winked at Aranxia, then headed back through the doorway.

Aranxia bit her lip nervously. She still didn’t feel as if she knew Galanna well enough to be left alone with her, but clearly she wasn’t going to be given much of a choice.

“So, Aranxia,” Galanna said amiably, gesturing for the princess to sit in a nearby chair, “Aennan tells me that you paint. What kinds of things do you paint?”

Aranxia slid into the chair and smiled softly, then began to tell Galanna about herself.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Aennan had long since finished lighting the oven and putting the bread in, but he had not yet returned to the living room with Aranxia and Galanna. Instead, he was leaning against the wall next to the doorway, just out of sight, and listening in. He had a smile on his face: it seemed that the two of them were getting along very well.

Suddenly the front door opened again, and Aennan’s older brother, Lykor, stepped in. The two of them looked very much the same, but Lykor was slightly taller and more muscular. Their hair had the same streaks of blue and green, their eyes the same watery teal, and even their skin was the same shade of translucent white-blue.

“Evening, Aennan,” he greeted his brother warmly. “Conversation that boring?”

Aennan chuckled. “I thought I’d give them time to get to know each other. Like I told you, Aranxia’s a bit shy.”

Lykor grinned. “Looking forward to meeting her. Lead the way.”

Aennan’s eyes gleamed, and he returned to the living room, where Galanna and Aranxia were talking about the city.

“So you live here because it’s close to the healer?” Aranxia was asking Galanna.

“Physician,” Galanna corrected her. “Medicine, not magic.”

“Hm.”

“It’s better to live close to the physician for her sake than to live near the water for my sake,” Lykor put in with a smile.

Aranxia jumped visibly at the sound of the new voice and turned to look at Lykor.

Aennan smiled and stepped forward. “Aranxia,” he said softly, putting one hand on her shoulder, “this is my brother, Lykor. Lykor, this is Aranxia.”

“Hello,” Aranxia said shyly.

Lykor stepped forward and shook Aranxia’s hand firmly. “Hello, Aranxia,” he grinned widely at her. “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you. Aennan’s spoken of nothing but you since he met you.”

Aranxia blushed warmly. “Thank you. I’m glad to have the chance to finally meet you as well.”

Lykor grinned, then stepped past her to greet his wife with a kiss. “Sorry I’m late,” he murmured.

Galanna smiled and brushed his hair away from his face. “Don’t worry about it,” she assured him. “I was in good company.”

“Bread’s been in the oven about a quarter hour,” Aennan told his brother. “I don’t know what you were planning for dinner, but I can help out if you’d like.”

Lykor chuckled and raised one hand. “Nah, I’ve got it,” he grinned. “I’ll call you all when it’s ready.”

Aranxia blinked in surprise. “You cook?”

“Someone needs to,” Galanna smiled. “I’m afraid I’m not able to stand long enough.”

“Do you need any help?” Aranxia offered to Lykor hesitantly. She didn’t know much about cooking (well, anything, really), but she felt a bit awkward doing nothing to help.

“No, no,” Lykor chuckled. “You’re our guest this evening. I’ll call you when dinner is ready.”

With that, he headed off to the kitchen.

Aranxia looked to Aennan for help, and he grinned at her. “Just relax. Enjoy yourself. We can help clean up afterwards if you like.”

He slid into a chair next to Aranxia and joined in the conversation.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:16 pm

When Aranxia and Aennan left Lykor and Galanna’s house, the sun had long since set. It was a very short walk to the inn – only a few blocks – so they walked slowly to make the walk last as long as possible.

“So?” Aennan asked Aranxia softly as they left the house. “How do you feel now? You were nervous before.”

Aranxia smiled warmly. “They’re such lovely people. I feel as if I’ve known them forever.”

“Good.” Aennan squeezed her hand. “And I thought I heard you and Galanna planning something – what was that about?”

Aranxia chewed her lower lip, a habit she had when she was hesitant about something. “Well … remember Elenya? When … we were late to the library?”

Aennan nodded slowly, and he tensed up slightly, remembering. “The day Amanya was so rude to you,” he said flatly.

“It’s all right,” Aranxia said quietly, putting one hand on his arm to calm him. “She did it out of concern. And you yourself admitted that she did have a point: that you weren’t concentrating as well on your job as you used to.”

Aennan sighed. She was right. “What about it?”

Aranxia smiled softly. “Well … I was talking with Galanna, and we came up with an idea. To keep Amanya from thinking that I’m distracting you when you’re supposed to be working, and to help with Lykor’s peace of mind while he’s working, we thought that instead of me working at the library, I could work at their house. For me, it would be no more difficult to work, and then both she and I would have company during the day. She admitted to me that it does get lonely sometimes. And if something happens to her, I can easily fetch the physician – it would be much safer for her.”

Aennan turned the idea over in his mind. He had to admit, she had raised good points, and he liked the idea, for the most part.

“You do realize,” he pointed out, “that it means that we won’t have the walk to and from the library together.”

Aranxia giggled. “So? You can hurry back here and we can walk anywhere! I know we’ll be spending less time together, but not much. And I know the way to the library on my own well enough by now, I could meet you there for lunch!”

Aennan grinned broadly. “Well, I guess I could live with that,” he agreed. “And you’re right. Galanna does deserve more companionship.” He hugged Aranxia tightly. “Thank you.”
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:17 pm

Year: 116 F.A.

On Yestarë, the last day of the year, Aranxia had returned to the inn after a walk with Aennan to find three packages on her bed and a letter sitting atop them. The letter had read simply, Do not open until morning. It was obvious to her that they were from Aennan, and she laughed to herself at his ability to keep something a surprise, and readily accepted the subsequent teasing from Wren.

When morning came, Aranxia woke early – but she was not the first one awake. Lancaeriel and Wren were both awake and dressed. Wren was sitting at the table and writing in a journal, while Lancaeriel was brushing out her long, pale hair.

“Good morning,” Lancaeriel smiled warmly at Aranxia, seeing that she was awake. “Rest well?”

Aranxia smiled back and stretched. “Good morning,” she replied softly. “Yes. Yesterday was a very busy day.”

“Not half as busy as today is going to be,” Wren chuckled, not looking up from her work. “Mettarë is always the bigger celebration, not to mention is both your and River’s birthdays. That’s going to be one big coming of age celebration, you know.”

Aranxia giggled. “I know.”

“And are you going to open your first gifts right away?” Lancaeriel asked, eying the three packages that were on the floor behind Aranxia’s bed.

“I think I’d better,” Aranxia nodded, throwing back her blanket and sitting up. “Judging by their sizes, I think it might be clothes, and if he wanted me to wait until this morning to open it, then I have a feeling I ought to wear it today.”

“It would be the nice thing to do,” Wren agreed with a grin.

Aranxia picked up the packages and put them back on the bed. As with the last time Aennan had sent her gifts, she began with the largest package. Inside was material, a fuchsia so bright it was unlike anything she had ever seen before, and was embroidered with thread of a shimmering yellow gold. She took it by one edge and pulled it out of the package. The material cascaded like water through her fingers, reminding her of spider silk, but felt even lighter. When she laid it out on the bed, she saw that it was a very different style of clothing than the previous gift had been. She had never seen anything like it before: a long, form-fitting shirt with a modestly low square collar and short, loose sleeves; and rather than a skirt, it had a pair of full-length pants with a drawstring waist and ankles, though the pant legs themselves were made of enough material to be like a skirt.

She wasn’t quite sure what to make of it, other than the fact that it was beautiful. The embroidery covered the entire outfit, and it was so complex that she couldn’t even begin to describe it. But she had never worn pants before (outside of training), and she wondered what that would be like.

“That’s pretty,” Lancaeriel murmured. “I don’t think I’ve seen clothes like that before.”

“I have,” Wren spoke up, her eyes on the outfit as she rose from her chair. “Only once. At the banquet back home, when Jess’s family visited before River and the others left the city. Jacinthe – Jess’s mother – said that those were the clothes that her mother had grown up with. She couldn’t name where that was, but … I wonder now if it might be here. Or one of the countries here.”

“Interesting thought,” Lancaeriel mused. “It seems that there has been more interaction between our land and this one than we realized.” She smiled at Aranxia. “Open the next one, Aranxia.”

Aranxia smiled and did just that, opening a much smaller package. It was also the lightest of the three, though not the very smallest, and had a feeling she might know what was inside. When she opened it, she found that she was right: as suspected, it was a pair of matching slippers, made of the same material as the clothes, also embroidered, and soft leather soles.

“I wonder if his sister-in-law did the embroidery,” she wondered aloud, smiling widely. She set the slippers aside and reached for the third and final package.

Inside was a small box of jewelry, this one containing even more than the first set that Aennan had sent her. It was also a very different style of jewelry: gold rather than silver, and thick and heavy, rather than thin and light. The necklace was made of tiny gold plates that had been threaded together, and along the bottom edge of it, pinky fingernail-sized fuchsia beads dangled. The earrings were the same, and there was also an arm cuff, bracelet and anklet to match.

“He really goes all out,” Wren murmured, greatly impressed.

“He does,” Aranxia replied softly. She was stunned. An outfit like this had to cost a fortune, and she didn’t know how much money he made at the library but she was certain that the sale of two books – especially after he shared the profit with her – could not possibly be enough to cover it.

Lancaeriel finished brushing her hair and put her brush away. “At any rate, Aranxia, if you’d like to go take a bath, I’ll help you with your hair again.”

“Thanks,” Aranxia smiled gratefully. “I’ll be back as quickly as I can.”
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:17 pm

When Aranxia met Aennan in the dining room of the inn for breakfast, she was not wearing the new clothes that he had sent her. She had just felt too guilty, wearing something that fancy and that expensive, and she still couldn’t figure out how he had been able to afford it. Instead, she had chosen to wear some of her regular clothes – nice clothes, but not overly special.

“Good morning,” Aennan greeted her warmly, kissing her hand before giving her a light hug.

Aranxia smiled and hugged him back, though she was slightly confused by his easy going manner. It was as if he hadn’t even noticed that she wasn’t wearing the clothes that he had sent her.

“Good morning,” she murmured softly. She smiled sadly at him as he let her go. “I’m sorry I couldn’t wear the outfit you sent me-”

“What?” Aennan blinked at her.

Aranxia lowered her gaze. “The packages you sent yesterday … and you did such a good job of keeping it secret … but it’s too much, I don’t even know how-”

“No, no,” he interrupted her. He looked at her anxiously. “Aranxia, I didn’t send anything. I don’t even know what you’re talking about. I only wish I did.”

Aranxia stared at him in silence. She didn’t understand. Who else would even care to send her anything, let alone spend that much money on her? And who could possibly have known her exact measurements? And how?

“Was there a note?” Aennan asked quietly.

Aranxia nodded. “But all it said was ‘Do not open until morning’,” she replied in a murmur. “No signature, nothing … that’s why I assumed it was from you.”

Aennan set his jaw. He didn’t like this. No one should be sending her gifts like that except for him.

“Maybe we should take another look at it,” Aranxia suggested softly. She was concerned as well. It was unnerving to get what really was an intimate gift from someone she didn’t even know.

Aennan agreed, and the two of them headed back to Aranxia’s rented room to check out the situation. Wren had already left for the day, but Lancaeriel was meditating. She assured the two of them that they were not intruding, and Aranxia showed Aennan the clothes that had been brought for her the day before. He was very impressed with the clothing, and the jewelry left him speechless, and he had but one comment.

“The embroidery on the clothing looks like Galanna’s work,” he mused. “You’re sure there was nothing else written on the note?”

Aranxia felt her face grow warm, and she rubbed the soft spot behind her ear gently. “I don’t think so,” she murmured, “but I was so sure that you had sent it that I didn’t look further …”

Aennan picked up the note and read it, then flipped the paper over, looking for more. He didn’t see any more writing, but he wasn’t finished. He held the paper up to the window, and what he saw made him smile.

“Look,” he murmured, motioning for Aranxia to take a look. “It’s watermarked,” he showed her. “See the emblem?”

Aranxia looked closely and was surprised to see the image of a sewing needle crossed with a fishing hook embedded within the paper itself. “From Lykor and Galanna?” she guessed, since she knew of no one else who had something to do with both fishing and sewing.

Aennan chuckled softly. “Yes.”

“Did you give them my measurements?” Aranxia asked him suspiciously as he set the paper back onto the bed. “Because it fits perfectly …”

Aennan scratched the top of his head sheepishly. “I might have,” he admitted. “Several weeks ago … though I admit I had forgotten about it until now.”

Aranxia laughed, suddenly feeling very relieved. She was glad they’d gotten it sorted out … now that she knew there was nothing creepy about it, she could relax and enjoy herself – and the clothes themselves, now that she knew Aennan had not spent far more than he ought to have done.

“Come on,” she grinned at him. “Let’s go have some breakfast. The others aren’t due here for lunch for several hours, and I’d like to experience as much as we can of the celebrations before then.”
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:18 pm

Following the directions Lin and Eärendil had given them the night before, Aranxia and Aennan made their way to the house of Senator Cantor and his family. It was in a nice area of the city, surrounded by large beautiful homes, and it was also very large and very beautiful. The yard was well taken care of – flowers and neatly trimmed hedges, lush green grass, and behind the house a fair-sized garden which had already been planted for the season. The house was enormous, made of the same silvery white marble as the rest of the city. Three steps led up from the cobblestone path to a large front porch which had a two-person swing on it, and Aranxia couldn’t help but think that it looked very cozy.

“Come on,” Aennan smiled at Aranxia. He took her hand and led her towards the door.

Aranxia was beginning to feel her old familiar shyness returning, something she hadn’t felt in a long time. She wasn’t quite sure why it was returning now – perhaps because they were there to ask a personal favour of a complete stranger. It was nothing worth being afraid of, but at the same time, she couldn’t help it.

She tightened her grip on Aennan’s hand, and he smiled at her reassuringly. “Don’t worry,” he murmured. “There are no obligations. Let’s just meet her, all right?”

Aranxia nodded and blushed, feeling foolish. What was the big deal?

No, she knew what the big deal was. This painting wasn’t going to be an ordinary painting: it was the painting that she wanted to leave with her family when – and she was certain that it was when and not if – she returned to live with Aennan here in Caras Galadhon. It would have to be worthy of taking her place in her family’s home.

She stepped up onto the porch with Aennan, and he knocked solidly on the door. They didn’t have long to wait: it was only a moment before the door opened and Lily, whom they had both met just the day before, greeted them warmly.

“Hello!” she beamed. “I was told we might expect you two sometime soon. How are you two doing? Do come in.”

“We’re doing well, thank you,” Aennan replied with a smile, ushering Aranxia into the house before following after her. “I’m going to assume, then, that Lin and Eärendil spoke with you?”

“Well, with Mother,” Lily laughed, closing the door behind them. “I’m afraid Mother’s talent in painting people is far superior to my own. She’s just preparing dinner at the moment, but if you’d like to speak with her, she’ll be glad to have you. Come.”

“If you’re certain we won’t be in the way,” Aennan smiled.

Lily giggled. “Not at all.”

She led the two of them through the dining room to the kitchen, where a slim black-haired woman was measuring out ingredients for a recipe. “Mother,” Lily called as they entered the room. “Princess Aranxia and Aennan are here.”

“Show them in,” the woman told her, carefully slicing up an apple.

Lily laughed. “I already did.”

The woman looked up from her work and laughed softly when she saw that Aennan and Aranxia were already in the room. “Forgive me,” she smiled, her black eyes sparkling brightly. “I’m afraid that I’m sometimes so preoccupied with my work that I don’t notice what’s around me.”

“Quite all right,” Aennan assured her with a chuckle. “We’re all like that to a degree.”

The woman laughed softly. “True enough. So, you are Aennan and Aranxia.” She smiled. “I am Lara. I understand you two would like your portrait painted together.”

“Yes,” Aranxia nodded. “I am a painter myself, but I’m not good at painting myself with another person … and I’d like this painting to be a good one because it’s all my- I mean … it’s a gift for my family.”

She had been about to say that it would be all her family would have to remember her by when she returned here with Aennan, but it would be very forward of her to say it when they really hadn’t spoken about that far into their future yet. As far as she was concerned, there was an understanding … but she didn’t want to presume, either, or put Aennan on the spot.

Lara looked at the two of them thoughtfully, but for a moment she kept her thoughts to herself.

“I assume that you work, yes?” she asked finally.

Aennan nodded. “I’m a scribe and translator at the library. I keep regular hours there. I’m afraid my employer doesn’t appreciate it when I miss work.”

“Amanya works herself too hard,” Lara said dryly. “She always has.” She exhaled slowly. “Well, I know there’s not much point in talking to her and asking her to allow you some time off for this. Unfortunately, daytime is the best time to paint portraits.”

“What about Valenya?” Aennan asked, putting one arm around Aranxia’s shoulders. She leaned into him and bit her lower lip anxiously as she waited for the answer. Valenya was the day most people didn’t have to work, and thus ended up with most of their plans.

To her relief, however, Lara simply smiled. “I’m free. So the only question left is where?”

Aennan looked at Aranxia, who shrugged back at him. “I hadn’t thought about it,” she admitted.

“Your family lives in the desert, right?” he asked her. When she nodded, he suggested, “Then why not at my house? Sitting on the porch, with the ocean behind us.”

Aranxia’s eyes twinkled brightly. “I think that would be perfect,” she agreed.

Lara smiled. “Then it’s set. Valenya, first thing in the morning, at Aennan’s house. I need to keep on with dinner, but if you could have Lily write down your address, I’ll see you then.”

They thanked her and did just that, making sure Lily had the right address written down before they left again.

“Aennan,” Aranxia said softly as they left, her arm tucked into his, “I … couldn’t help but think … the pose and the background you suggested for our portrait …” She hesitated.

Colour rose in Aennan’s pale cheeks, and she could see his pulse quicken in the veins in his neck.

“I’m sorry,” he said quietly. “I just felt that … well … when your parents look at this … it will be like they can see us. In our home.”

Aranxia looked up at him sharply, and his blush deepened. “I’m sorry, I’m being presumptive,” he murmured. “But Aranxia, I must be honest. I used to do my work out of a passionate belief that the works I was transcribing was necessary for our people. It was my life. Now I work because when I finish, it means that I can see you again. Spend time with you. You fill my thoughts, waking and sleeping.”

He gazed at her, and even the growing darkness of the evening could not hide the emotion contained in his eyes. “You are a princess of your country, and as such I know that I cannot ask for your hand in marriage before I have met your parents and asked for their approval. But surely you must know already … given their approval, Aranxia, I have every intention of doing just that.”

Aranxia’s own heart was racing, and she was smiling so widely that it actually hurt. She put one hand gently against his cheek and brushed her thumb against it lightly. “I wish we did not have to wait,” she whispered. “If that were not the case, I would gladly marry you today.”

Aennan slipped both of his arms around her and held her close. “That is all the answer I need,” he murmured softly into her ear.

He held her like that for several long minutes, and as he released her he took her hand and pressed his lips to the backs of her fingers.

“Come,” he murmured. “There’s still time enough for a long walk before I have to have you back at the inn for the night.”
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

It was late Spring, and the weather had grown quite warm in the past several weeks. Though summer was still almost three weeks away, every day it was more and more evident that it was coming. The days were growing longer, the sun hotter, and each day after they finished with their work, Aranxia and Aennan found the beach more and more inviting. Still, they kept themselves busy with other things, and so they didn’t have as much opportunity as they would have liked to go swimming. But then, one warm Menelya afternoon, they ran into Jess and River, who were on their way to the beach for a swim. The two of them convinced Aranxia and Aennan to join them, and so they had spent the evening enjoying themselves in the water. They’d played games with Aennan’s water ball; chased each other through the surf; and the three experienced swimmers had given Aranxia swimming lessons.

Come dinner time, Jess and River had bid the others good night and returned to Luk’s house for the evening, and Aennan and Aranxia headed up the beach to Aennan’s house. The nights were still cool, and Aranxia, still soaked from their swim, began to shiver slightly.

“Wait here a moment,” Aennan told her softly, nodding towards the chair on his porch. As Aranxia sat, he headed into the house. He was back very quickly, only a moment later, with a towel in one hand and a blanket in the other.

“Here,” he murmured, passing her the towel. “Dry yourself. Then you can wrap yourself in the blanket.” He set the blanket, folded, on the arm rest of the chair. “I’ll be right back.”

He disappeared into the house once more. Aranxia dried herself as best she could, and when she pulled the blanket over her shoulders, she sighed softly, feeling its warmth immediately. She ought to have brought dry clothes with her to change into, she thought belatedly, but she didn’t want to return to the inn now. If she did, she wouldn’t be able to justify leaving again tonight.

After a few minutes, Aennan returned with an armload of wood and a handful of tinder. He smiled when he saw Aranxia wrapped in the blanket. “Warm enough?” he asked her.

Aranxia smiled back and nodded. “Much better, thanks.” She watched him as he left the porch and began to set up the wood in the sand, preparing a fire. He was also still dressed in his swimming clothes – a simple pair of calf-length pants made of the same material as her swimwear – and even though she knew him quite well, it still amazed her that he was incapable of feeling cold. Through his translucent skin, she could see his veins pulsating gently, something she found fascinating to watch.

Very soon, he had a small blaze going, and he turned around and looked at Aranxia. “You look tired,” he commented quietly, approaching her with silent steps.

Aranxia nodded slowly. “Yes … well, swimming is tiring … and I have to say, we did quite a bit of it this evening.” She giggled.

Aennan chuckled and knelt next to her. “That we did,” he agreed. “Why don’t you rest up a bit, then, and I’ll get some fresh fish for dinner? I have food in the house, but I think fresh is always the best.”

“You’re sure? You don’t mind if I stay here?” she asked anxiously.

Aennan laughed again. “Of course. You just rest, I’ll be back shortly.” He straightened up, pressed a gentle kiss to her brow, and turned back towards the water. Aranxia smiled and watched him until he disappeared beneath the gentle waves, and then until she could no longer keep her eyes open.

When she awoke a while later, she had a crick in her neck from the way she had been sleeping in the chair. She rubbed it gingerly and stretched it the other way, and only then did she become aware of movement just in front of her. She opened her eyes to see Aennan kneeling by the fire, which had died down by now to be mostly coals, his eyes fixed on a frying pan that he was holding.

“How long did I sleep?” she asked groggily, rubbing her eyes and yawning.

Aennan looked up at her over his shoulder and smiled softly. “About an hour and a half,” he replied quietly. “Long enough for me to find and clean the fish. I’d have woken you when they were ready if you hadn’t already woken.”

Aranxia smiled softly and moved to join him by the fire, but when she touched her bare foot to the ground she shivered and drew it back into the warmth of the blanket. The porch was cold, and she could only imagine how cold the sand would also be by now. Still, it was clear that Aennan could not join her on the porch – how would he finish cooking dinner? – so her choices were either to sit alone or to brave the cold so that she could join him.

Well, she could always wrap herself in the blanket again, she mused.

She braced herself for the cold and poked her feet out from the blanket again. Standing, she rewrapped the blanket around herself and tiptoed over to the fireside to join him. There, she sat next to him and adjusted the blanket once again. Aennan smiled at her and shuffled a bit so that he was sitting right up against her, then put one arm around her and pulled her close. “Warm enough?”

Aranxia nodded and closed her eyes again, snuggling into his embrace. Half-naked as he was, he was still emanating warmth, and she welcomed it gladly.

“What kind of fish is it?” she asked, looking down at the four small fish frying in the pan.

“Crappie,” Aennan replied softly. “It should be ready in a bit.”

Aranxia leaned slightly forward. “It … doesn’t look like fish as I’ve seen it prepared before.”

Aennan chuckled softly. “A recipe I found in one of the books I translated. Very simple, but I find it tasty. Flour, some herbs, a pinch of spice …”

“It smells good, anyways,” Aranxia smiled.

Aennan grinned. “Someday I’ll teach you to make it, too.” He shuffled the pan a bit over the fire. “Someday … there are so many things we will be able to do. Someday.” He glanced down at Aranxia and winked at her. “Someday.”

Aranxia blushed softly and smiled back. Yes … someday.

Aennan took his arm from around Aranxia and picked up the pan, lifting it to inspect the food. “Finished,” he murmured. He turned and set the pan in the sand. “Let it cool for a few minutes, else you’ll burn yourself,” he cautioned Aranxia. “Actually … wait here by the fire, keep warm. I’ll be right back.”

“I’ll be here,” Aranxia quipped with a smile.

Aennan chuckled and rose, careful not to get any sand into the pan, and headed once more back up to the house. When he returned, he had another, larger blanket, and two forks. He set the blanket out on the sand (again careful to keep from blowing sand into the pan) and motioned for Aranxia to sit on it. When she had settled, he sat next to her and handed her a fork.

“After you,” he grinned, gesturing towards the pan.

Aranxia hesitated only a moment before she reached with her fork into the pan and used the side of it to break off a piece of the fish. Steam rose from the split, but Aranxia speared it immediately. She did however make sure to blow on it before nibbling at it.

“Wow,” she murmured, her eyes widening with surprise. “That is good!”

Aennan laughed. “Well, I’m glad, but you really needn’t sound so surprised.”

Aranxia giggled and reached for another forkful. “Then don’t think of it as surprised, but impressed,” she teased him. “I just wasn’t sure what to expect, it being so different from anything I’ve seen before.” She grinned up at him. “Then again, I’ve had many such pleasant surprises since arriving here.”

Aennan arched one eyebrow. “Should I take that personally?”

“I wish you would,” Aranxia replied warmly.

Aennan chuckled and leaned over to kiss her on the cheek. “Then I shall strive to keep surprising you,” he murmured.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

It was well past midnight, and Lancaeriel and Wren had long since retired for the evening. The balmy weather had gotten them into the habit of sleeping with the window open, and the fresh air helped them to sleep much better than usual. Lancaeriel was fast asleep, but Wren, on this night, found sleep unattainable. She knew what the time was, and she was concerned about Aranxia’s continued absence. Even on the first night that Aranxia had gone for dinner and dancing with Aennan, she had not been this late in getting back.

Wren knew it wasn’t her place to worry about Aranxia – she was a very distant relation, after all – but she couldn’t help it. She was in the same sort of position as Aranxia, a royal heir indirectly in line for the throne, and she knew what kind of responsibilities were laying on the girl’s shoulders. Unfortunately, it also meant that there were certain proprieties that needed to be followed more closely than for other people. Being out all night in the company of a man would be quite damaging.

These worries were keeping her awake, and she tossed and turned in her bed, longing for sleep but too anxious for Aranxia to find it. Finally, she left her bed and dressed herself. She couldn’t help it: she had to find her cousin.

“Wren?” Lancaeriel murmured, half asleep. She raised her head from her pillow and squinted into the darkness. “Where are you going?”

Wren ran her fingers through her short hair. “Looking for Aranxia. She’s never been this late and I want to make sure that she’s all right.”

Lancaeriel rubbed her eyes. “You’re sure it’s a good idea?”

“Her parents would think so.” Wren grabbed a light cloak and pulled it around her shoulders. “I’ll be back as soon as may be.”

And she left.

She wasn’t entirely certain of where to begin looking for her cousin, but she did have some clues. It was far too late for any restaurants to be open, despite the fact that it was the last day of the week, so she didn’t need to bother checking any of those. What else in the city would be open to them? Nothing that she could imagine. It was past midnight, after all. She knew – or at least, she hoped – that Aranxia would have the sense not to spend the night at Aennan’s house … nevertheless she couldn’t help but wonder if she’d better check there anyways.

She had never been at the man’s house, but she had a general idea of where it was. Somewhere along the beach, if she recalled correctly. They didn’t see Aranxia often nowadays, but when they did see her she often spoke of Aennan, so she was fairly certain that she would be able to find the place without too much difficulty.

The beach seemed deserted in the early morning hours, as well it should, she reasoned. There were no houses along the shoreline near the harbour, but she had known that already, and she pressed on. Up ahead, she could see a faint glow near the silhouette of a building. Like a fly to the ointment, she changed her course to head directly to it. As she drew closer, she could see that it was the remains of a fire, and that there were some shadows just beside it. She considered calling out, but if she was mistaken, it would be rather awkward – not to mention the fact that she didn’t want to disturb anyone else in the area.

As she walked, her thoughts wandered. Who would have thought that she would end up acting so maternally to her cousin while they were on this trip?

“Father,” she said softly, her eyes turning skyward, “I will never do this to you again.”

How her father must be worrying about her now! Halfway across the world … no idea where exactly she was, or what she was doing …

When she came close enough to the fire, she could make out two separate figures: Aennan, lying on his belly on the sand, only half-clothed; and Aranxia, lying on her side on a blanket, a few feet away from Aennan, wrapped in a second blanket. Between the two was a pan and what looked like the remains of dinner: some tiny bones and two forks. Both of them were fast asleep, and neither of them noticed the princess’s approach.

Wren stood and watched them in silence for a few minutes. She ought to wake them, she knew, but … watching them … she knew how in love they were, but she could see how hard they were working at keeping their courtship as proper as they could. And really, in an obscure place like this, who would talk? Ultimately, what did it matter? They weren’t even beside each other.

She mused over the matter for a while longer, and when she finally left, she left them exactly where and as they’d been.

She could always speak with Aranxia the next time she returned to the inn, after all.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:19 pm

It was the day after Luk and Lily’s wedding. Aranxia had spent the day with Galanna just as she had been doing for the past two months, but for the first time she didn’t even break out her paints. It wasn’t that she didn’t have a book to illustrate: on the contrary, Aennan had two more manuscripts ready for her as soon as this one was finished, so there was plenty of work to do. But as soon as she had arrived and Lykor had gone to work, she had shared with her future sister-in-law the news about her and Aennan’s upcoming nuptials.

Galanna was ecstatic.

“I can’t believe it!” she exclaimed excitedly. Her eyes were bright, and she was sitting up and sitting strong for the first time since Aranxia had met her. She grasped Aranxia’s hands in her own. “I mean – I can! But I can’t! I knew it was going to happen eventually – well, I hoped – but I thought – I was certain – he would have to leave, to speak with your parents – seeing as you’re a princess and all – oh, I’m so happy for both of you!”

Aranxia laughed and hugged Galanna. “Thank you. We’re both very excited as well. We’ve been looking forward to it for a while already.”

Galanna giggled. “You elves always know so quickly. Lykor had to work for a while to convince me to go off with him.”

“I wouldn’t know,” Aranxia admitted. “I just know that there can be no mistaking the fact that I know Aennan is the one meant for me.”

“And I’m sure he is.” Galanna smiled widely. “So have you chosen a date yet? Any special plans, aside from the obvious?”

Aranxia sat next to Galanna. “Vague ideas. We’d like to have our close family to witness, so we thought that we would exchange our vows here, so that you can also be present. Next month. As for celebrations … nothing big. Some refreshments, perhaps, but that’s it.”

There were tears in Galanna’s eyes, and for a moment she was at a loss for words. She just looked at Aranxia tenderly, smiling widely, holding her hands and pressing them together. Finally she whispered, “You are more than I could ever have hoped for – for Aennan, and for myself, as my extended family.” She laughed softly. “Are you sure you’re from a place where interracial marriages are unheard of? Because you do realize that you’re about to get a human for a sister-in-law…”

Aranxia laughed. “Yes, I’m fully aware. And to be honest, I can think of nothing that matters less to me than your race.” She squeezed Galanna’s hands gently. “You have been wonderful to me, as both teacher and friend. It’s an honour to have you as family.”

Galanna’s cheeks flushed slightly. “You speak as though we are already family.”

“Well, we’re going to be,” Aranxia giggled. “So why not?”
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:19 pm

Aennan was a little late in picking up Aranxia that afternoon, and when he arrived at Lykor and Galanna’s house, it seemed as though he had been running. He was slightly out of breath, and there were a few droplets of sweat on his pale forehead.

“Are you all right?” Aranxia asked him anxiously as she joined him outside.

“I’m fine,” he assured her with a smile, “I just lost track of time and didn’t want to be later than I had to be.” He chuckled softly. “Really, it’s nothing more than that.”

Aranxia smiled uncertainly. “If you say so,” she said, figuring it wasn’t worth pushing the issue. She had the strangest feeling there was something more to it, but she didn’t want to pry over something that, really, wasn’t a big deal.

“So I was thinking,” Aennan said as they started down the street. “We’re going to be married. We’re going to be living together in my house. Yes?”

Aranxia smiled widely. “Yes,” she said softly. They had already discussed where they would live, and Aranxia had been the one to insist that they remain here. She loved it here, and she was concerned for how Aennan would be treated in her homeland. She also felt that it would be cruel to take Aennan away from the ocean, which she had also come to love. She hadn’t needed to convince him, either: when he had asked her where she would like to live, she had responded immediately, without hesitation, “Right here.”

Aennan grinned down at her. “Well then, you really need to see inside my house so that we can see if there need to be any changes to make it more suitable for our life together,” he told her in a matter-of-fact kind of tone.

Aranxia laughed. “That’s easier said than done, sir,” she teased him.

“Is it really?” His grin widened, and his eyes sparkled. “And what would you say if I told you that River, Jess, Aysu, Ta’neer and Dwr have all been invited this evening for dinner?”

Aranxia’s jaw dropped. “You’re serious?”

“Perfectly.” Aennan chuckled. “They’re our closest circle of friends, are they not? It’s about time we had a dinner together. This way we can tell them about our engagement together, too.”

“How very true,” Aranxia agreed with a grin.

“Besides,” Aennan added, his eyes twinkling mischievously, “how else can I show you my house before we’re married?”

Aranxia laughed, and Aennan chuckled and hugged her with the arm that he had around her shoulders.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top