A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Kyrie laughed. "Well, if Lancaeriel doesn't mind, we can get this out of the way right away and then I can take you to see, if you wish," she grinned.

"And me," Shoneah protested.

This time it was Uruloki who snickered.
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:06 pm

Miyuki couldn't help but giggle at that but nodded in agreement to this arrangement.

"Okay, that works for me."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:11 pm

A curious expression crept over Lancaeriel's face, and she nodded at Kyrie. "Yes, I'm quite willing to talk right away," she agreed. "Where shall we go?"

"The living room will be fine," Kyrie grinned. She took Lancaeriel by the arm and ushered her away from the others. The two women spoke quietly together in the living room while the others looked on, not knowing what was going on but wanting - in some cases desperately - to know and to understand.

At length, the women returned to the kitchen, and while Lancaeriel joined Cael for breakfast, Kyrie nodded at Miyuki and Shoneah. "Dress warmly," she cautioned them. "It's barely above freezing out there, if even that."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:16 pm

"I'll go put on some more layers," Miyuki murmured before finishing her breakfast and slipping back to her room.

Because of her tails, it made pant wearing impossible, so she had to deal with thick stockings instead. Though, she could, she thought on occasion, morphed into her elven form, but it always felt 'not right' to her. Probably for the same reason why her mother kept her wings out.

At least, Miyuki thought clipping up the backside to her clothing, the fur would keep the tails warm.

Once done, she headed back to the kitchen with her cloak.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:29 pm

By the time Miyuki was back, Shoneah also had gotten ready: she was wearing thick, warm clothes, fur-lined boots and gloves, and a thick cloak. Overkill, perhaps, if it was only about the freezing mark, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

Kyrie also had on the same white cloak that she'd worn the night before, and had dressed a bit more warmly this time, too.

"Make sure your ears are covered," she cautioned Shoneah, putting her own hood up. "It may be windy."

Shoneah nodded and pulled up her hood as well, tying it under her chin to keep it in place. With her long ears, it was not a comfortable fit, but she knew the wisdom in protecting them.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:30 pm

For Miyuki, there was also the issue of her losing a lot of her hearing when she put her hood up, since her ears were on the top of her head. Still, she imagined having them cold wouldn't be great neither, even with the soft fur up there.

Putting up her hood and tying it into place, she hoped it wouldn't be too windy.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Kyrie led the way outside, pausing in the doorway just long enough to look around outside before letting Shoneah and Miyuki out after herself.

Had they been further south, the sun would have been bright; but as far north as they were, it was barely over the horizon, and as they were tucked into the cleft of a cliff, surrounded on three sides by mountains, they were in shadow, and so it was quite cold. It did also mean, however, that they were protected from wind, and so the air was rather calm when they emerged.

Shoneah was amazed when she looked around to see where the tent was located. "Wow," she murmured, her tone filled with awe. "How did Mailon even find this place?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:40 pm

"That's a good question," Miyuki murmured, "Did he climb in order to get here then?"

It was clear he had, but it amazed Miyuki all the same. No wondered why he was so tired when he came back yesterday. It also probably explained why it took him so long.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:58 pm

"I have no idea," Kyrie admitted. "I would assume he came from the south, over the plain ... but that's just my assumption."

Shoneah looked around, her breath appearing in white puffs every time she exhaled. "It's hard to believe we're already several weeks into Spring," she commented thoughtfully. "I mean, back home this would be like ... the middle of May. I live pretty far north, in the mountains, but we would have warmer weather than this."

Kyrie smiled. "Welcome to the far north."

She cast one more look around them, then gestured for the girls to follow her and started off towards one of the mountains.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:40 pm

Miyuki had to admit, she had never felt so cold before. Though her tails were thankfully fine, but still somewhat on the cold side. Following Kyrie, she hoped moving about will make her forget the cold.

"At least it's spring and not winter," Miyuki murmured, wondering what it was like in winter.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:46 pm

"Well, the idea was that we would travel this area in Spring and Summer, hopefully be out by Autumn, and that way we avoid the worst of it," Kyrie smiled. "Now, I do have to warn you, as we come around the mountain we're going to have to be very quiet and move slowly. Shoneah, do you have Xipil with you?"

Shoneah shook her head. "He didn't fit under the cloak so I convinced him to stay back."

"Good." Kyrie nodded, satisfied. "Probably safer that way."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:29 pm

Miyuki blinked and nodded slowly, though she had to wonder why Kyrie requested this. Besides the fact it was probably something to do with danger.

"Okay..."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:36 pm

Shoneah was confused. "Safer for whom? Him, or us?"

"Us." Kyrie smiled and put one hand on Shoneah's shoulder. "You'll understand shortly. We should be there in a half hour or so."

She continued to lead them around the mountain, and after a few minutes she cautioned them not to speak anymore. On the other side of the mountain, the terrain became more rocky than snowy, and the sun, no longer blocked by the mountain, made the air a bit warmer as well.

"Now, if Uruloki was accurate in his directions," she murmured quietly to Miyuki and Shoneah, "we should be very nearly there."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:52 pm

Miyuki wanted to ask, where is there, but since it was supposed to be a surprised, all she could do was wait as she followed along. It was strange how when it was cold, something like sunlight can noticeably raise the temperature.

There wasn't much to look at, rocky ground, a bit of snow... a lot of land and very little plant life.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:03 am

When the three of them came around a large rock, Kyrie stopped them, pointing down below, her eyes bright with excitement.

"There," she whispered.

The ground below the mountain was white, but there was little snow in sight. It was a glory of unicorns. Every one of them was white as the snow, the sun gleaming on their spiral horns. There were hundreds of them, perhaps thousands, innumerable. Some were asleep, but most of them were awake and active. Several of the smaller ones were frolicking around, some racing and others chasing each other.

Shoneah's eyes grew wide, and she pressed her fingers to her lips to keep from speaking.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:27 am

Miyuki was in awe, but kept quiet. She had heard stories of unicorns quick to stampede from her mother. It wasn't the first time she had seen a unicorn, but she was pretty sure they weren't that white back in the Four Lands. Granted she was really young the last time she saw a unicorn so her memory was a bit fuzzy.

She was pretty sure the last one she met 'talked', though she couldn't remember how.

Though she had to wonder what they were living on while they were here, what did unicorns eat anyways? Or did they eat?

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:35 am

Despite her awe at the sight of so many unicorns, Shoneah couldn't help but glance at Kyrie. The woman's eyes were shining brightly, and her smile was wide, amazed.

"This is the reason I know we're safe here," she said quietly, barely loud enough for the other two to hear her. "Unicorns are the flightiest creatures that exist. Only the pure of heart can be in their vicinity with no danger. There's no way the White Elves could get through them to us."

"Mailon did," Shoneah couldn't help but point out.

The gleam in Kyrie's eyes faded slightly, but she didn't turn her eyes away from the sight below them. She remained silent.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:14 am

"But it might say more about him than it does about the unicorns," Miyuki murmured.

After all, pure of heart was a bit tricky. If you were not pure of heart at one time, could you be later on in life? Or if you were pure of heart originally, did it mean you could lose it? What did it mean to be of pure of heart anyways?

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:25 am

"You had questions for Lancaeriel before you would take us out here," Shoneah added, changing her tact slightly when she saw that Kyrie didn't want to talk about Mailon. "What did you ask her?"

It was still a moment before Kyrie replied.

"If what I'd heard in legends was true," she said quietly at last. "I am nearly a thousand years old, and I have spent most of my lifetime traveling this continent, and I have never before seen a unicorn. I didn't know what to expect. I had, of course, heard just about every legend about unicorns - I say just about, because I have heard a great many, and would never dream of claiming to have heard every one. Some stories are ridiculous, of course, and can safely be dismissed out of hand. But others ..."

She hesitated a moment, as if trying to think of how to put her thoughts into words.

"Miyuki, I'm afraid - I think you are right when it says quite a bit about Mailon that he was able to travel near the unicorns safely," she said reluctantly. "I know the phrase 'pure of heart' seems a bit ... wishy-washy, as I have heard it aforetimes described. Where unicorns are concerned, it means that the person traveling by them has no malice in his or her heart, no ill will. No ... no evil intentions or desires. That Mailon was judged safe by their standards tells me more than any amount of time spent with him could tell me."

She shook her head slowly. "I'm afraid that ... as I am now, I would be the one in danger around them."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:26 am

For that Miyuki was surprised, but when she thought about it, it shouldn't surprise her that much.

"Because of your feelings about Mailon?" she asked quietly.

Kyrie was only a person after all, and there were still a lot of negative emotions tied up with Mailon. She also got the impression had it been anyone else with the tent, she might not have been as antsy yesterday.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:34 am

A warm red flush filled Kyrie's cheeks, and she nodded.

Shoneah hesitated. Her curiosity about what had happened between Kyrie and Mailon was stronger than ever. She didn't want to pry, but she was starting to feel that it was important for the safety of the group that everyone know. And the way people mentioned it, it seemed that most of the group knew already anyways.

"Kyrie, what happened between you and Mailon?" she asked, sounding braver than she felt. "I mean ... from what I know of him, he seems a pretty good person, but the way you speak of him, it's like ..."

She trailed off, not sure how to finish the sentence, and afraid that Kyrie would become angry with her. She was pleasantly surprised when Kyrie showed no anger at all.

"When I was young, in my teenage years, Mailon trained me in the use of weapons," she replied simply. "I was horribly abused, and killed him in order to escape. I'm still coming to terms with him being back. I don't know if I'll ever really accept him, but ... at least I don't want to kill him every time I see him now."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:21 pm

Miyuki could only imagine how hard it has been for Kyrie so far.

"That's good at least... and at least you are aware..." she trailed off.

After all, Kyrie was trying, and to Miyuki that had to count for something.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:38 pm

Kyrie nodded. She was indeed trying. It still confused her, but she was trying.

"Hey," Shoneah said, frowning suddenly. "There's someone coming."

She pointed off towards the north, where a solitary figure was approaching, so white it was barely visible against the snowy ground. After what Kyrie had said about the unicorns, it surprised her to see that this person was heading directly towards them.

One of the unicorns noticed the White Elf's presence and alerted the others. Most of them ignored the figure, but a few of the young unicorns skipped towards it. The figure reached out to pat one of them on its head, careful not to touch its horn, and then continued into the midst of the group.

Kyrie watched in silence, her brow furrowing in confusion.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:47 pm

"I think the person must visit them quite often," Miyuki commented softly.

If anyone was comfortable enough to visit, it had to be someone who did it often, but she was surprised by the reaction of the unicorns. Granted, she supposed no one would go into a herd of them without knowing they could make it away unscathed.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:58 pm

"Unless Lancaeriel was wrong in what she told me," Kyrie murmured, "which I doubt. Miyuki, I think you must be right."

As they spoke, the figure came to a stop and sat down on a rock roughly in the middle of the unicorns. Something was taken out, something long and slightly curved, and the figure put it to its mouth. A moment later, the soft, gentle notes of music began to play.

Kyrie's brow furrowed deeper. This was not what she would expect from any White Elf, even Mailon.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum