The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 8 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A - Page 8 Empty Re: A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:18 pm

Lin shook her head, "I'll stay indoors."

She didn't mind the cold, but she had gotten the impression it was even older than what she was use to. So she would rather not go out unless she absolutely had to.

Of course, Miyuki was going to be working, so she wasn't going anywhere today.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A - Page 8 Empty Re: A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Wren was the only other person who showed interest, and by the time she and Eron had dressed themselves warmly enough, Kaito was ready with his bag by the door. Since Shoneah had been the one who had already been out, she led the way.

"It's actually rather pleasant out," Wren smiled as she looked around, squinting at the brightness of the snow around them. "Like late Winter back home."

Of course, her home was the northernmost elven settlement in the Four Lands.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:53 pm

That sounded about right to Eron, Gaia was somewhat similar in that regard. Still, it was good he was wearing winter clothes, otherwise it would be much harder to bare. He had lived in a city after all, most snow had been shoveled or moved off the sidewalks and roads. Unless there was more snow than the city could handle of course.

"And it's sunny out..." he added.

Though he personally found it warmer when it was cloudy.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:04 pm

"It's good to feel the sun after being cooped up for over a day," Wren smiled at Eron.

Kaito was eager to get going. "Which way, Silverbirch?" he asked her, his bag on his shoulder.

Shoneah figured that up would be better, so that they could finish down by the tent rather than have to climb back up to it afterwards. "Follow me," she told the others, and set off leading the way up the mountain with the fewest obstacles.

It wasn't a terribly steep or long climb, though the lack of obstacles almost made it more difficult because there were no trees or rocks to grab and help haul themselves up, but they made it without too much difficulty, even if they were all - Wren and Kaito included - a bit winded by the time they got to a point where Kaito said they could stop.

"All right, now if someone would be so good as to explain to me, what is a snowboard?" Wren asked, sitting on the snow, making sure that her cloak was giving her a good, dry cushion.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:58 pm

"It's better that Kaito shows you, otherwise it would be hard to imagine how it works," Eron admitted.

After all the name sort of said it all, but who would have thought using a board to ride down a hill of snow?

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:15 pm

Kaito grinned and put his bag down. "It's more or less what it sounds like," he shrugged. "A board you stand on and ride down snow hills. You could make them out of wood, mine's got a wooden center and then fiberglass around it for protection and speed. Then you wax the bottom to make it slide better."

He pulled his out of his bag, and though Wren and Shoneah were used to the sight of things coming endlessly out of their bags, it was strange to see the board that was almost as long as Kaito was tall coming out of it. Most of the things that were put into the bags were things that would have fit in on their own, without the rune.

"And here it is," Kaito grinned, digging the tip of the board into the snow and holding it up beside himself. He held up a finger. "Right. If anyone else wants to try anything, I've got skis and a toboggan. The toboggan is probably the safest for people who have never done this before."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:46 pm

"I'm not much for skiing," Eron admitted, "But I wouldn't mind tobogganing."

It was something he hadn't done in years, it was kind of hard to in the city unless you went to the park, and even then he wasn't inclined to do so. Never knew when a student might be watching, but here he could and the environment was perfect for it.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:51 pm

"I think I'll watch a few times first to see what it's all about," Shoneah giggled. "You two have fun, though."

"I'll stay with Silverbirch for now," Wren agreed. "Perhaps afterward."

Kaito grinned. "Suit yourselves."

He pulled out a six-foot wooden toboggan and held the rope out to Eron. "You go ahead," he grinned. "I'll meet you down at the bottom!"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:04 pm

Eron was impressed, it was a large one (though it had to be to fit a full grown adult). Taking the rope, he dragged it to a good spot. Where you set up was always important, he had grown up in a city. Getting run over by traffic was not a good thing.

Mounting the toy, he carefully nudged it so it would go over the hill and down the slope.

He forgot what a rush it was to ride on one of these things and the fact that the hills in Barton had nothing on this place added to that. Before he knew it, the wind was in his hair and ripping the hood off his head. Waving along like a flag.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:11 pm

Wren and Shoneah were laughing as they watched Eron zip away down the mountainside.

"I've never seen anything move so fast!" Wren giggled. "It's amazing!"

Kaito just grinned as he strapped his feet onto the snowboard. "Just wait til you see this," he winked at her. Rather than struggling to his feet and hopping to where he wanted to start, he spread his wings and flew there. Once he was in place, he folded his wings tightly. No point in injuring himself or slowing himself down, after all.

"Here I go!" he grinned, pushing himself forward by jerking his feet. He tipped over the edge of a small snow mound, and then off he went.

"Woo!" he cheered as he picked up speed, arms out, knees slightly bent for balance. The wind whipped past him, but he had made sure to put on his his special winter hat to protect his ears. His eyes watered from the sharpness of the wind, though, and he had to squint to see properly.

Suddenly he saw to his left another mound of snow, and he changed direction slightly, aiming for it. He hit it and sailed into the air. "Booyah!" he cried gleefully, grabbing the tip of his board with one hand before straightening out to land again. He continued his way down the mountain, zig-zagging to keep from going too fast, until at last he reached the place where Eron had finally come to a stop. He slid past him, arms triumphantly in the air, and then turned to stop himself.

"Man, that was awesome!" he cheered, turning towards the chemistry teacher. "We don't have slopes like that in Gaia!"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:17 pm

"Not in the city, you'd have to go to a ski resort for that and that takes time and money," Eron replied.

He had heard of such resorts, but had never been to one. After all, ski season was still during the school year, he had things to mark, assignments to make up, a class room to keep in check, there was no time to get a season's pass to something like that.

Maybe when he retired... though as an immortal, there was no retirement age so... that was a moot point.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:20 pm

"Bah, they still have too many trees," Kaito grinned. "And too many people, come to think of it. But come on, I want to do that again!"

Only this time he would wear his goggles, he promised himself. He spread his wings and took to the air. He had long ago decided that being able to fly made this kind of stuff all the more fun. Faster to get back to the top of the hill - and no dishing out money for ski lifts.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:35 pm

Eron blinked before picking up the toboggan and taking flight as well. Otherwise Kaito would be down the hill again several times over if Eron had to trek back up there. There were advantages to having wings, even if most winged beings inside of a city didn't get to use them as much unless they were part of a flying club or something.

"What do you think?" Eron asked once he was back to where Wren and Shoneah were.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:43 pm

"That looks like a lot of fun," Shoneah grinned. "I'd love to give it a try!"

"Climb on with Eron," Kaito chuckled. "I'll race you to the bottom."

"That hardly seems fair," Wren pointed out. "You got there in half the time it took Eron to get down there."

Kaito grinned cattily as he took his goggles out of his bag and put them over his eyes. "Yeah, well, the toboggan goes faster with more weight on it," he pointed out. "And I'll even give them a head start - and you can give them a push to start them off if you want."

Shoneah grinned at Eron. "What do you think?" she asked him.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:49 pm

"Sure," Eron laughed, "Easier than nudging it down the hill."

He looked over to Wren.

"Do you want to be in the front or in the back?"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:53 pm

"Me?" Wren blinked at him. "I'm going to give you a push this time around, maybe I'll join you next time."

"It looks big enough to hold all three of us," Shoneah mused, looking at the toboggan.

"It is," Kaito grinned. "Now quit stalling, you guys."

Shoneah chuckled. "Talk about impatient." She turned back to Eron. "You go in the front, I'll sit behind you."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:14 pm

"Okay," Eron nodded as he sat up front and took the reins of the toboggan.

He looked over his shoulder to watch Shoneah get on. This would also prevent him from startling, since she would have to grab onto something or someone.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:01 pm

Shoneah sat down carefully, sitting on her feet and holding Eron by the shoulders for balance.

"Oh, you're going to want to hold on better than that," Kaito grinned. "Sit down, put your legs around him, and hold on tight."

Shoneah blinked. "Um ... okay ..."

She shuffled her feet out from under herself and sat as Kaito told her to, blushing uncomfortably as she did so. It was an awkward position, she had to admit as she wrapped her arms around Eron's stomach.

"S-sorry," she stuttered awkwardly into his ear.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:13 am

"No, it's fine," Eron replied a bit embarrassed by the fact she was embarrassed, "I figured we would end up like this. Otherwise you'll fall off when we go down."

The slope was pretty high up so there was going to be a bit of that pull of gravity taking them up as they went down. He should know, he had already done this once.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:17 am

"I've never done anything like this before," Shoneah murmured. "I don't really know what to expect ..."

"Just hold on tight and lean into the turns," Kaito grinned. "Send them off, Wren!"

Wren knelt down, put her hands to Shoneah's back, dug in her feet, and pushed as hard as she could.

Shoneah let out a bit of a gasp when she felt the toboggan begin to move, and her arms tightened instinctively around Eron. Then they began to gain momentum, sliding forward down the mountain.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:08 pm

Kaito was right about the toboggan going faster with more weight. The turns as it went down the slope seemed to be quicker this time around. He also had more trouble keeping his eyes open, but he was smiling all the way down.

It wasn't until they reached the bottom did he check to see where Kaito was.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:22 pm

Kaito was barely half a second behind Eron and Shoneah. His ride down had been even more fun than his first - he'd been wearing his goggles, so his eyes weren't burning, and he had warmed up a bit, so he did a few more jumps and stunts on his way down.

"Ha!" he grinned at Shoneah and Eron as he passed them. He circled to a stop and raised his goggles. "So?"

Shoneah was laughing, and her muscles were so tense from holding on and keeping her balance that she had to roll off the toboggan. "That was insane!" she giggled. "I've never moved so fast in my life!"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:00 pm

Eron chuckled at that, it was perhaps a bit more extreme than when he was a child. Though as Kaito said, there weren't hills like this back in Barton.

"But did you have fun?" he asked.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:11 pm

"Yes!" Shoneah laughed. "I can't wait to do it again!"

Since she couldn't fly, it took a while to trudge back up the mountain, and she let Wren go down while she rested. Kaito, being Kaito, didn't wait, but took several more runs while the rest of them were making their way back up. Eventually, they were all tired, and they made their way back to the tent. Iorlas fixed them all some hot cider to warm up, and they spent the rest of the day relaxing.

The following morning, Kyrie was once again the first one in the kitchen, and once again she had breakfast for everyone. Once several of the others were up, she asked them all who would like to come with her to meet Daenis once more.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:34 pm

"I would like to go back," Miyuki replied from where she was sitting.

She had finished the room in good time and had gotten help moving the extra furs into the room for a bed.

"I'll come too," Lin added.

She was curious about this girl after all.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next