A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:29 pm

Daenis looked at Miyuki for a moment, then took a step into her doorway and looked into her room.

While there were some things that couldn't be changed, Mailon had done his best to make her room look as much like what she was used to as possible. The floor was covered in furs, like a dozen soft rugs, and in one corner a pile of furs made up a bed, even the pillow and blankets. At the moment, Daenis' clothes were folded neatly in one corner, as they didn't have furniture for her yet. There were a few furs hung up on the walls as well, to give the room a tent-like feel, and floating just below the ceiling in the middle of the room was a light orb - probably the contribution of Lancaeriel, though there were some others who knew how to make their own.

It was to this orb that Daenis' eyes were eventually drawn, and she furrowed her brow and looked back at Miyuki. "You have the power of creating a small sun for light?" she questioned, clearly confused.
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:37 pm

"It's actually an orb of light," Miyuki motioned for Daenis attention to the spot beside the door.

A rune, large enough to be seen but small enough to not be obvious was there.

"Tap this rune to turn off the light, it's like a magic version of a.. an oil lamp really."

Since the sun was something else completely, if what little she remembered of her Aunt Kali, there was no one who could create the power of the sun. Not when you'd use that to power other things.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:40 pm

"An oil lamp?" Daenis blinked ignorantly, but reached out to touch the rune just to try it out. The light went out, and she touched it again, and once again the orb lit up the room.

Daenis was impressed, and she took a step into the room. Feeling the fur under her feet, she smiled, then went to her bed and set down her instrument case.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:46 pm

"Well... I was going to use candle to compare, but... candles burn through pretty quickly and they're not as bright," Miyuki murmured.

She had seen an oil lamp a few times, especially ones that used a round glass top so it was brighter and the light traveled further. Though now that she thought about it, the only oil up there would be animal fat oil, same thing for candles. It would have to be fat based wouldn't it?

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:52 pm

Daenis turned to look at Miyuki again. "So ... an oil lamp is something you use to see by?" she asked for clarification. "We don't have anything like that. I mean, I know it's possible to burn oil and fat, that's what we use for cooking ... but we have to conserve it when we can so we don't use it for seeing."

She rubbed the small cut on the back of her hand gently. "But ... we see very well in the dark," she murmured, almost absently. "We live half the year in darkness, after all."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:58 pm

"Ah... that would explain it," Miyuki murmured, "Most of us can't actually see well in the dark. Well, I'm not bad, as long as there's a bit of light to reflect."

Her eyes (like the nekos) could reflect small amounts of light back to allow them to see better, but she figured that was now how elven sight worked.

"Do you need someone to look at that cut?" she asked absently.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:04 pm

Daenis looked down at the cut on her hand as if she had just noticed it was there. Staring at it, she pursed her lips thoughtfully as she considered the idea.

"It will be fine," she decided at last. "It's not big. Just an itch, really."

She took a deep breath and looked around again. "So ... now we go, yes?" she asked, looking back at Miyuki.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:08 pm

"Yes," Miyuki nodded, "As soon as everyone gets what they needs we'll be on our way."

She actually didn't take her Pokemon with her when they went to meet up with Daenis and they were all lounging around in her room. Except for Ai, Ai was wherever she made her nest this time.

"That being said, I have to grab a few things myself, so feel free to head back to the kitchen once you're settled."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:24 pm

Daenis nodded. "Thank you. I will come right away."

It wasn't as if she had things to do in her room after all: she had next to nothing in it. So when Miyuki headed back to her own room, Daenis touched the rune to dim the light orb and headed down the hallway to the kitchen.

It was still a bustle of activity there, even more so than it had been before since, now that Daenis had arrived, everyone was preparing to travel. Most people were putting on their cloaks and boots.

"Last chance for hot cider," Earendil was calling out, holding up the steaming pitcher and looking around.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:39 pm

Lin already had her cup and was sipping it while waiting for everyone else to finish putting on their boots and cloak.

"I'll take a cup," Eron said as he finished putting his boots on.

He hadn't been out since yesterday so the boots were dry and weren't going to track any water into the kitchen.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:43 pm

Earendil poured some cider for Eron and held the mug out to him, then looked around to see if anyone else would want any. He spotted Daenis coming into the room and smiled at her. "Hello again," he greeted her with a warm smile. "All settled?"

Daenis shrugged one shoulder, not really sure how settled she could be. "It's not like I have much to put away," she murmured.

"True." Earendil chuckled and held up the pitcher. "Some cider before we go?"

She blinked at him. "Cider?" she repeated, clearly unaware of what cider was.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Since they were unable to go to any of the towns, no one in the group was aware (with the exception of Mailon) what the White Elves ate or drank.

"It is a drink of fermented apples, normally it's apples, along with some spices," Lin explained, "And often served warm."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:52 pm

Daenis blinked again and turned her attention to Lin. "Apples?" she repeated blankly.

Lancaeriel chuckled and helped Cael pull on his cloak and fasten it. "Daenis, I think we're going to have a lot to teach you," she smiled. "And I think once we're on the move, the first thing would be languages."

Earendil poured some cider into a mug and held it out to Daenis. "Give it a try, anyways," he smiled. "See if you like it."

Daenis took the cup and took a sip.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:26 pm

When Lin really thought about it, it wasn't a surprise Daenis wouldn't know. So little grew up here that everything they took as staples wouldn't be common where she came from at all.

Waiting until Daenis at a good try of the drink, Lin asked.

"What do you think?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:20 pm

Daenis let her first sip stay in her mouth for a while so that she could savour it, and then she swallowed. There was a faint smile on her face, and she kept drinking it slowly but steadily. When Lin asked her question, she lowered her mug and turned towards her.

"I like it," she replied softly. "It's sweet ... and ... well, I'm not certain how to describe it. It really is quite wonderful."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:54 pm

"I'm glad," Lin smiled, "I don't know how long we'll be traveling through these northern terrains, but maybe you could show us some of your tribe's cuisine sometime."

She figured with the way the tribes were, the food was probably different from place to place. Though it did make her wonder how different they might be in terms of traditions.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:06 am

Daenis smiled and was about to reply when Mailon spoke up, grinning broadly, "I would highly recommend that. The meal she prepared for last night was the best food I have ever tasted, in this life or my first."

Daenis blushed brightly and lifted her mug to finish off her cider.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:32 am

Around this time, Miyuki came wandering back into the kitchen. Tsuki and Yasu's pokeballs on her waist, her staff in her hands and her bag around her shoulder.

"Hey, is there any cider left?" she asked, figuring to get a drink before they left.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:51 am

Earendil chuckled at Daenis' reaction, but he was distracted by Miyuki's arrival.

"Yes, last bit," he grinned, emptying the pitcher into a mug for Miyuki. "Quickly though, it will need rinsing before we leave."

He held the mug out to her.

Daenis looked back and forth between the two of them, her face still a bright shade of red, vivid against the paleness of her face, though her eyes will filled with curiosity.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:06 am

"Thanks," Miyuki smiled as she took the mug.

She took a careful test sip to see how hot it was before downing the rest of it. Once it was gone she approached the sink.

"Here, let me help rinse them," she told her father as she set her staff aside.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:35 am

Earendil let Miyuki help him rinse the dishes, making sure to get the empty mug from Daenis as well, and once that was ready he set them aside and got ready to leave.

In the flurry of people preparing for departure, Daenis got lost in the shuffle, and it wasn't until they were all outside and Cael was packing up the tent that Kyrie suddenly realized how lost and anxious Daenis looked. Of course there were a lot more people than she had seen inside, and she still hadn't been introduced to most of them.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:43 pm

"Before we go..." Lin murmured as she looked around for Daenis.

Being the shortest adult in the group, she had to look a bit.

"We should probably all introduce ourselves to Daenis, I don't think she's met everyone..."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:04 am

Daenis was subconsciously grateful that she was again able to understand the words that were being spoken, but it wasn't until she heard Lin say her name that she actually started to pay attention. She blinked and looked around.

"We should also give her some dragons' blood," Kyrie added as Uruloki crawled out of her sleeve.

Mailon appeared next to Daenis and put one hand on her shoulder. She looked up at him, and he directed her attention towards the others.

"We will have to make this short so that we can continue on our journey," he said quietly. Nodding at the others as he said their names, he went on. "You already know a good number of us. Miyuki, Lin, Earendil, Kyrie and Silverbirch ..."

Daenis blinked at that last one. "Silverbirch?" she repeated blankly. "I don't know a Silverbirch ... but you missed Shoneah ..."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:11 am

"A lot of us call her Silverbirch because we can't pronounce Shone-ah without mis-saying it," Miyuki explained, "It's actually a translation of her name."

Though sometimes they did use it and didn't say it too badly.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:15 am

"Though you pronounced it very well," Shoneah grinned, impressed.

Daenis smiled self-consciously. "Thank you." Then she looked around at the others who hadn't yet been introduced. "But who are the rest of you? And ... what ... are you?"

With her eyes, she included even the regular-looking elves in her question.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum