A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:35 am

When one really thought about it, the second question wasn't that unusual. Daenis probably had never seen other elves, nevermind the non-elves that were in the group.

Lin decided to start, "Well first we have..."

She started with the elves, going by those in a family group. So that was Dareon, Iorlas and Amir, along with Lancerial and Cael. Fortunately Daenis had already met Mailon, Kyrie and Shoneah. Andarien was the last elf to be introduced, and he was introduced as her and Earendil's son. Then she went to the nekos since they were brothers, and technically her nephews (but she wasn't going to get into that part). Finally was Eron, but she wasn't sure what Daenis would make of the Gaian races.

Angels didn't exist in the vocabulary of the world, nor did nekos, and demons had a completely different meaning here.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:06 am

Daenis had never seen any race but White Elves until she had met these people, and so the introduction of the other races, including the Gaians, and despite the number of people that she was being introduced to for the first time she was able to recite all of their names without faltering.

Of course, while all of this was happening, they had started off around the mountain towards the west and were well on their way. By the time the introductions were done, Uruloki was ready to offer some blood for Daenis to receive the gift of languages. Daenis accepted it without hesitation or question, as if the idea of drinking blood didn't bother her in the least.
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:06 am

Soon they were off again, setting a quick pace. While the plan was supposed to give them a good few weeks of travel in advance, there wasn't a point in risking it.

Off to the next country, there was little point in staying around here longer than absolutely necessary. Despite the seriousness of it all, there was a bit of amusement among those who had been traveling for a long time. Finding Daenis was only another in a long line of incredible events that seemed to plague them after all.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:52 am

Two days after leaving the safety of the mountains, Daenis was still rather shy and quiet with most of the group, though she enjoyed listening to their conversations. Occasionally, when she was encouraged, she would ask question after question about anything and everything.

As calm as their travel was, they did have to watch what was around them and make sure to give any settlements a wide berth. Mailon, ever vigilant, also made sure to watch where they had been, and shortly past lunch time on their second day out of the mountains, he spotted something disturbing.

"We need to pick up our pace, find a way to hide our trail," he told the others abruptly, his expression grim. "They're following us, and far more quickly than I would have expected."

Kyrie cursed softly. It was one of the difficulties of traveling in snow. It didn't matter how hard they tried, they would never be able to completely hide their trail.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:25 pm

That was probably an understatement, but it couldn't be helped, they had expected to be followed. As they picked up their pace, Lin asked.

"How do we hide our trail?"

The problem with snow was, it was there like flour on a floor. It was pretty hard not to leave prints.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:42 pm

"We could fly out," Wren suggested. "Uruloki could handle all of us, couldn't he?"

"Most of us could go into the tent and Uruloki can fly out the others," Andarien added. "We've done that before!"

Kyrie shook her head. "No. A dragon in this area would only attract more attention. And by the time we got the tent out and put away again, they'd be too close."

Daenis looked up at the sky. It was slightly cloudy, but the sun was shining through.

"Not enough cover, no matter how high we fly," Kyrie said, catching her glance.

"No," Daenis murmured softly, lifting one hand, palm up, as if she were feeling for raindrops. "No ... that is not what I was thinking ..."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:01 pm

"What are you thinking?" Lin asked softly.

She seemed to be thinking of something and it was best to hear her out. They were running out of choices at this point.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:07 pm

Daenis' eyes were still on the sky. "A good snowstorm would cover our tracks," she murmured.

"And if we changed direction, they would assume we were still heading west," Mailon added with a nod.

"But what hope is there of that?" Kaito pointed out. "The sun is shining, there are hardly any clouds ..."

He trailed off as he looked up and noticed that the sky was indeed growing overcast - and far more quickly than could possibly be deemed normal. "What ..."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:23 pm

"Cool... a snowstorm," Miyuki commented as if this was perfectly normal.

Though she had kind of guessed that perhaps Daenis might have something to do with said storm.

Miyuki tilted her head at Daenis, "Did you..."

She left the question hanging, she was sure it was Daenis work and while she knew that white elves did have ice and snow magic, she didn't know to what extent.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:29 pm

By the time Miyuki had asked her question, the sky was completely overcast. Daenis nodded.

"Bundle up," Mailon cautioned the others, though he himself made no move to put more layers on. "It's about to get cold for you."

Snowflakes began to fall, light and soft. Daenis twirled her finger, and a wind picked up. The snow began to fall harder, swirling around them.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:35 pm

Pulling her cloak closer to her, Miyuki watched with interest as the snow gathered around them. Talk about pulling a disappearing act she thought to herself. She also tied her hood tighter so the wind wouldn't whip at her ears.

It was so unnatural, she wondered what the group going after them thought. Granted, she figured they probably would blame Mailon for it or something.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:14 pm

Iorlas picked up Amir and held him close, and she looked a bit panicky as the snow continued to thicken. "How will we keep our bearings?"

"Just stay with me," Mailon replied grimly. "Actually - Daenis, how bad is this going to get?"

"As strong as I can make it," Daenis replied, her eyes on the sky.

Mailon turned to the others. "We should tie ourselves together so that we don't get separated or lost. Who has some rope?"

"I do," Kyrie said, already digging through her bag.

Last edited by Nara-pyon on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:59 pm

Which could mean anything, but Miyuki thought it was pretty strong already. Daenis must have quite the talent for ice magic, even when considering it was a thing for her people.

The moment that the rope was out, they began to tie each other together so they wouldn't get lost. It was a good thing the Pokemon were in their balls, so no small creatures to worry about.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:36 pm

By the time the rope was tied, the wind and snow were so fierce that anything further than an arm's length away from anyone was invisible to them - and sometimes even their hands, at that distance. The wind was bitingly cold, and it tore at their hoods and cloaks.

All conversation became impossible. Even screaming at the tops of their voices, there was no way they would be able to make themselves heard. And the hardest part of it was that they would have to continue like this long enough to get out of the range of sight of the elves who were following them - and that was no mean feat.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:58 pm

It was a bit disconcerning because they were dependent on whoever was leading out front to get them to the right location and away from their pursuers.

All they could do was keep walking and make sure their cloaks didn't get ripped off of them.

Miyuki had taken to pulling her hood down and keeping her hand there to prevent the hood from being blown off. Since wind was more unpleasant for her ears.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:12 pm

Suddenly there was a jerk on the rope as the person at the rear halted. Then, with a suddenness that left most of them blinking, the group was surrounded by a protective barrier that kept the wind and the snow at bay.

Startled, Kyrie looked around. It took a moment, but she noticed Cael holding one hand aloft, and his hand was glowing faintly.

Cael looked at the others sheepishly. "Sorry," he apologized. "I just remembered I could do this."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:18 pm

"Oh hey... I can hear again...." Miyuki grinned.

Not at all bothered by the fact Cael could have done that earlier, but he did forget to be fair.

"To be fair, it's probably been a while," Lin replied though very grateful for the protection from the wind and snow.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:28 pm

Daenis was also very impressed. "Now I can really stop my father's men," she murmured, looking up at the storm outside the barrier.

Suddenly with the wind and snow came ice pellets, so hard that they could hear them like rain on a tin roof when they hit the barrier and bounced off.

Iorlas was still holding Amir close, and she looked around at the storm that was raging around them. "I don't know that I've ever met anyone so desperate to leave their past behind them," she murmured, her tone filled with awe.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:37 pm

"I didn't know someone could summon that much hail and snow," Miyuki replied off handily.

Granted she had never seen Yue, Yukito or even Miyu work their snow magic. Though she heard that Miyu was quite good at it.

"I wonder what they'll do now..."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:40 pm

"Neither did I," Mailon murmured, looking at Daenis appreciatively. Then again, who else present could appreciate what she was doing?

"I'm hoping they will stop and wait out the storm, if not turn back entirely," Daenis answered Miyuki's question as if she hadn't heard Mailon's comment. "I must be honest ... I did not think my father would be this set on getting me back." Her brow furrowed ruefully. "I am sorry to bring this on all of you."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:05 pm

"Don't be sorry, we knew there was a risk when we took you with us," Miyuki replied, "And knowing that we still agreed to it."

How could they not? Just hopefully they wouldn't have to end up fighting them, though they had enough creators of fire on them to maybe make them back off.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:33 pm

Daenis turned to look at Miyuki and shook her head slowly in disbelief.

"It is so strange to me to know that there are people like all of you," she murmured.

"Feel free to count yourself as one of us," Shiro grinned at her. "We didn't start out with so many."

"Come," Mailon chided them all. "We must continue. This storm and the barrier will continue to require energy from Daenis and Cael. The further we get before they must stop, the better."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Miyuki giggled at that, despite the seriousness of it all. They continued on their way, picking up their pace once more since the snow and wind wasn't buffering them. In fact it was a lot easier to move now that they weren't fighting against the storm.

Though it was hard to tell how far they were traveling, the snow made everything look the same.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:57 pm

And on they trudged. Despite the barrier, the snow kept getting deeper, and while most of them were able simply to walk on top of it, Kaito did have to pull out snowshoes for himself and Shiro. Andarien and Shoneah on the other hand had no choice but to struggle forward, knee-deep in the snow.

At length, Cael called out to everyone, "I need to rest." And it was clear by looking at him, too: his face was pale, and he looked ready to collapse. How he had managed to keep the barrier up for so long was anyone's guess.

"I think we've come several miles," Mailon said crisply. "If we set up the tent to rest, we should be safe from anyone who was following us - we're far more north than we were before the storm."

"And the storm will go until it blows itself out now," Daenis added, also sounding rather tired. She was leaning on Mailon to stay upright. "I wouldn't know how to stop it."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:06 pm

Which was just as well, Lin, Miyuki and Eron also couldn't stand on top of the snow. As such they were trudging through the snow and that in itself was tiring.

"Wherever we set up tent, I"ll need a bit of help," Miyuki murmured.

She wasn't even sure how to set up the tent in all this snow.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum