Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A)

Page 2 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 26  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A)

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:35 pm

"Was that something you also had to build up over time?" Miyuki asked.

If that was the case, they might have to do something about that, otherwise Daenis was going to be stuck in the tent and not really enjoy the travel.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:47 pm

"It is possible, but only to a degree," Mailon cautioned the girls before they could get too excited. "There is a reason White Elven countries are only found to the north. Though no White Elves feel the cold, they all react to heat differently. When I first left Jielam, I was able to travel around the mid-latitudes of the continent, and over time I was able to go further south. I still need to use magic to handle the southernmost areas, however."

"What kind of magic do you use for that?" Daenis asked curiously, hoping it was something she could do, but simpler than having to have a flurry of snow around her all the time.

"Ice," Mailon replied; and Daenis' heart sunk. That was not in her power. Mailon went on, "I coat myself with ice. It is constantly melting - sometimes even just evaporating in those temperatures - but it keeps me cool enough to avoid falling ill."
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:02 pm

"I wonder...." Miyuki murmured glancing at Ira, "If Ira could help in some way. Glaceons also produce ice, it's their element..."

She had actually never petted Ira since his transformation, so she didn't even know how the Pokemon felt temperature wise.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:11 pm

Ira's ears perked up when he heard his name, and he yipped back that whenever he felt warm, he made the air around him colder.

"And I can't do that without making it snow," Daenis said ruefully, patting the Glaceon on the head.

Mailon was looking at Ira thoughtfully. "Ira, how much air can you make cooler around you?" he asked.

Ira blinked at Mailon, cocked its head thoughtfully, then yipped back that it didn't know.

Mailon looked at Daenis again. "Perhaps if he is on your shoulders - as he is now," he suggested, "he could make the air around both of you cool enough to make you comfortable."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:10 pm

"I would say give it a go, Pokemon tend to be really strong in their element naturally," Miyuki added thoughtfully.

Since Daenis wasn't interested in fighting it was hard to tell how strong Ira was, but if he was anything like his parents, siblings and PonyDash, even untrained he was pretty strong.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:19 pm

Daenis smiled and nuzzled Ira's cheek with her own. "What do you think, Ira?" she murmured. "Give it a try?"

Ira squeaked his agreement, then lowered his head to Daenis' shoulder and relaxed. For a moment, it seemed he had just gone to sleep: but a moment later Daenis also closed her eyes and smiled warmly.

"That feels good," she said softly.

"And we're still in a cool area," Mailon murmured, his brow furrowing again. Then he blinked. Even though he was a few steps away from Daenis and Ira, he also could feel the drop in temperature around him.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:58 pm

"I can feel that," Miyuki commented.

Though, when she thought about it, she shouldn't be surprised. Ira was a Pokemon and they tended to be quite strong in whatever element they had.

Still she had to ask.

"How are you feeling Ira? Is holding that temperature okay for you?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Ira opened his eyes a crack and looked at Miyuki thoughtfully. After a moment it squeaked that it felt fine, but that it had also just started so he didn't know how long he could keep it up.

"I also wonder," Mailon mused aloud, "if something might be done to Daenis' room, to make it cold, like your boxes, Miyuki. What do you think? The boxes you store your food in, I mean."

Daenis blinked. "Make it like outside, like the greenhouse rooms?" she asked.

Mailon smiled and nodded. "That way if Ira does get tired, you can simply go to your room to recuperate," he said gently. "And you would not have to worry about the nights in hot places. Or anywhere, for that matter."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:14 pm

Miyuki was about to explain that while they called it the cold box, it was only because they separated foods that were meant to keep cold, colder and hot. However, she paused to think about the actual request first.

"Yes, I will need help with that though because even though we call them cold boxes they're not actually cold, they sort of hold things in stasis, but the idea of making a room cold, completely do-able. The tent technically has rooms of different temperature with the gardens, I could add something to Daenis room to make it colder."

After all it was nothing more than a separate space within a space.

"I'll just need Lancerial's advice. She did teach me the theory when she made the gardens, but she was the one who made the gardens..."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:26 pm

Daenis hesitated. "Would it be easier if I were to just ask Lancaeriel instead?" she asked, tryng to be tactful. She didn't want to burden Miyuki - the kitsune already seemed so busy all the time - but she didn't want to make it sound as if she didn't believe Miyuki could do it. She had confidence in the girl, after all. She just didn't want Miyuki to have to go too much out of her way ...
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:17 pm

"It really doesn't matter," Miyuki replied, "One of us will have to do it, it's just for me it'll be a learning opportunity."

Though it was true she could have just created a room randomly for practice or even chose a specific temperature for her room, but she didn't think there was much point to that. It did Miyuki wonder if there was a way a person could adjust the temperature in their own room though.

That was a thought.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:24 pm

Daenis smiled and relaxed. "I see. Then I would appreciate it greatly."

Suddenly she blinked, then turned and looked at Mailon. "Would it not be more comfortable for you to have such a room as well?" she asked him.

Mailon smiled warmly at her. "Well, yes, but ... I can do fine without it as well. And I haven't the right to ask anything of anyone."

A puzzled expression crossed Daenis' face. She had heard such comments before, but she had no idea why he would say things like that.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:56 pm

Miyuki resisted the urge to roll her eyes, he was worse than Shoneah. Really, she would not hold it against him if he wanted his room colder, after all he did have to sleep in there!

Once she was sure she could add it to Daenis' room without fail, Miyuki was just going to go ahead and add it to Mailon's as well.

"I'll get to work on that between stops then, it should only take a few days," Miyuki told Daenis.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:06 pm

Daenis looked back at Miyuki, and her puzzled expression disappeared, quickly replaced with a grateful smile.

"Thank you," she said warmly. She nuzzled Ira's cheek. "At least it's not too warm here, Ira won't have to expend too much energy for a while yet."

"And we are heading into Winter," Mailon reminded her.

"Right." Daenis smiled. Then she looked thoughtful. "I wonder when we'll reach our destination," she mused. "Where are we going, anyways?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:36 pm

Miyuki blinked, "I knew the name, but now it escapes me. It's where Kyrie's brother lives.."

At least that's what Miyuki assumed, and she knew Kyrie had told her at one point what city that was, but she just couldn't remember at the moment.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Daenis pursed her lips thoughtfully. "So ... she has a brother, and a husband, but she doesn't live with either of them," she murmured. She shook her head. "I don't think I understand."

"Kyrie is a traveler," Mailon replied simply.

Daenis cocked her head slightly to one side. "Still ... I mean, if the situation at home is terrible, I understand leaving ... I know I did just that ... but ... if you love someone enough to marry them ... how could anyone stand to be away from them? Especially for long enough to travel as far as she's traveling?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:35 pm

"The thing is, Kyrie has been traveling like this long before she ever met Ahkshi," Miyuki explained, "Even when you love someone, habits are hard to break. That and Kyrie tends to feel responsible for other people," Miyuki added the last bit thinking about the adventures they had been on so far.

That part though, Miyuki wasn't sure if she could explain well. It was just something Miyuki accepted about Kyrie, because she always assumed there were people who went out their way to help or save other people.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:07 pm

Daenis wasn't sure about that, but then, she didn't have the sort of experiences that the others had had, so she would be the first to admit that she wouldn't know. It still seemed so strange to her.

It was a little over a week later when Kyrie cautioned the group that they were getting close to Winum, the capital city of Dolerum, where Kyrie's brother lived.

"I would strongly advise against having any weapons visible," she told them seriously. "We've been fortunate not to run into anyone yet - though they've probably been around and just avoided us - but there are more people in the city than the forests, and these people take offense quite easily. And most of them detest foreigners."

"You're so cheery about this place," Shiro said dryly.

Kyrie smiled. "If my family weren't here, I wouldn't bother coming here. But this is their home, so I put up with everything."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:51 pm

"Well it could be worse," Lin pointed out to Shiro with the unspoken point that at least they're not being killed on sight.

So being detested was a bit of an improvement, though Lin had to admit after this trip, it made certain people they've met while traveling the Four Lands not seem that bad.

"Come on, cheer up," Miyuki grinned at Shiro, "We're back at a city! It's been a while."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:19 pm

Shiro chuckled softly. "Sure, sure. I must say, I am starting to miss cities like Caras Galadhon and Barton, now. Lots friendlier than the places out here."

"Not as if you'd notice," Kaito teased his brother. "You spend all your time on your tablet anyways."

"Not always," Shiro protested; but his protest was a weak one because he knew it was true.

"What is the city like, anyways?" Wren asked curiously. "I mean, is it rock, like Makshim?"

"Not in the least," Kyrie smiled. "Houses built of wood. Lots of trees. A nice city, if you're looking at the city alone." She pointed at a copse of trees ahead of them. "Just past there, actually."

It being midday, most people would probably be at their homes, eating, for which Kyrie was grateful. It meant they wouldn't see as many people in their way in. For herself, she didn't mind the attitudes of the people there. Or rather, she didn't let them get to her. But she didn't want it to be harder for her companions than she already knew it would be.

"And it may be best to ignore anyone being rude," she added as an afterthought. "They stop the fastest then."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:06 am

"They do?" Lin didn't ask because it sounded like old childhood advice for bullies.

At least bullies who didn't resort of physical attacks, but that had been a completely different talk all together.

"Any advice in case we have to do business here?" Miyuki asked.

If she couldn't do any buying here, that was fine, she wasn't even expecting to earn anything here anyways. She would still tell the stories she had help making, but she wasn't going to hold out her breath for being paid for it this time around.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:27 am

Kyrie shrugged one shoulder. "Don't let them get to you," she replied. "That's about it. They won't be dishonest with you, but they may be rude. Try to get you to leave their shop, something like that."

She chuckled softly. "I'm afraid I'm not going to be terribly helpful here. I've never really dealt with the tradesmen or shopkeepers myself. What time I spent here, I spent it more or less on my own, with Lara's family. They dealt with all the business stuff for me so that I wouldn't have to. I never asked them to, they just did."

They came around the copse of trees, and suddenly the city lay before them. As Kyrie had promised, the houses were built of wood: thick planks with glass windows, curtains pulled back to let in the late Autumn sunshine. There were trees at regular intervals, and spacious yards surrounding each of the houses. Many yards also had a garden, most of them partially harvested. Smoke rose from chimneys, barely visible even in the cool air.

Shiro's first thought was that such a scene would make a beautiful postcard.

There were a few black-haired elves in the streets, wrapped warmly against the cold, and for a few minutes, no one noticed the approaching group. But once they actually entered the city and started up the street, they attracted all kinds of looks. Some were the looks of curious onlookers while others were glares or looks of disdain. Comments followed them up the street, remarks such as, "Rifraff," "Tresspassers," and "Filth." They spoke in their own language, either not expecting or not caring if the group understood them. Still, no one stopped them as Kyrie led them onwards.

"If my old training building is still open, you can all stay in there," she told them in the Common Tongue. "Otherwise you'll probably have to stay in the tent outside the city."

"Would that be safe?" Daenis asked in a small voice. She was walking close to Mailon's side, afraid of the people around them and the hostility they were exuding.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:31 am

"Kyrie wouldn't suggest it if it wasn't safe, and don't forget they'll have to find the tent first," Miyuki reminded Daenis, "Besides, the impression I'm getting is that while they don't like us, it'll probably be beneath them to deal with us in anyway."

While Miyuki had never experienced this kind of disdain before, she wasn't unfamiliar with the idea of being called names based on her race. There had been that little boy when she was a child, though that was a long time ago.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:44 am

"That about sums it up," Kyrie agreed. "I probably had more problems because I lived here. As long as you look like you're passing through, it probably won't be too-"

She was interrupted by an ear-piercing squeal of excitement and a female voice calling out Kyrie's name. From out of the people on the street, a woman appeared, her black eyes bright with excitement, and pounced on Kyrie, throwing her arms around her and hugging her tightly.

"You're back!" she squealed, dancing around while still hugging Kyrie. "And it hasn't even been a decade yet! Well it has but only a decade, that has to be a new record for you!"

"Gwen-" Kyrie tried to choke out; but the woman just kept right on going as if she hadn't heard.

"And Mother and Father will be so happy to see you! And Khetal- Khetal has been waiting for you and waiting for you-"

"Gwen-"

"-and he's still been helping Mother at the clinic but he stopped his research a few years ago already and-"

"GWEN!" Kyrie burst out, laughing and squirming out of the woman's grasp. "Breathe! Shades, Gwen, you're still like a child!"

Gwen giggled and took a half-step back, holding Kyrie's hands in her own. "Come on, Kyrie, you know we all miss you when you're gone! Come on, everyone will be so happy to see you!"

"I'm not alone, Gwen," Kyrie chuckled. "Do they have room for all of us?"

"All of ..." The woman blinked and looked past Kyrie at the others, noticing them for the first time. Her eyes widened and her mouth opened slightly into a surprised 'O'. A bright blush rose in her cheeks, and she giggled and pushed her long, black hair away from her face. "Well, there I go again. Well, we haven't rooms for everyone, but we've room for them to sit at least."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:39 pm

Lin chuckled a bit, Gwen certainly brought back memories.

"At least we can all sit and have a nice chat," she replied wryly.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 26  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top