The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A)

2 posters

Page 15 of 26 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20 ... 26  Next

Go down

Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A) - Page 15 Empty Re: Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A)

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:00 pm

"Ooh, that's pretty," Gwen cooed, her eyes alight. "And you do that for all your stories? What do you base your stories on? The things you've seen, the places you've been?"

She waved to another woman, who waved back but didn't approach them.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A) - Page 15 Empty Re: Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A)

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:33 pm

"Yes," Miyuki nodded, "They're all places I've been to or seen. Much easier to base an illusion on what you know than what you make up. Besides, that is the whole point..."

And there were a lot of places out there that were interesting.. and dangerous, and interestingly dangerous.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:41 pm

"Point?" Gwen blinked, not entirely sure she understood. "I mean, I know you want to share different cultures with people, you know, with the food and such ... but ... what is the point of the stories?"

She thought it was just a fun thing to do, not something with a point.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:18 pm

"Yes, but in order to do that, I have to be talking about places I know. To tell people of places they haven't seen is part of doing this, and they have be places that do exist," Miyuki paused.

She thought about it and then laughed.

"Granted there are people who would never believe those things are real anyways!"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:02 am

"Oh, come now," Gwen giggled, her eyes dancing. "Kyrie has been telling us tales of her travels for centuries. I'm sure there's nothing you could add that would be unbelievable."

After Uruloki had joined the family and she had learned about all that Kyrie and the dragon could do together, she was certain that there could be nothing more crazy or more difficult to believe. Granted, she had never traveled far from the city herself, except to other cities in the nation ...
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:25 pm

"But you know Kyrie," Miyuki pointed out, "How many people here really bothered to get to know Kyrie and her interesting stories?"

It was a bit sad, but she imagined most people didn't know Kyrie all that well.

"Besides," the kitsune winked, "I might know a story or two that is unbelievable."

Though that might actually stray into the realm of Gaian stories, and unless she was going to talk about Haven, Miyuki would like to avoid those stories. Most people, would never get to see Gaia.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:33 pm

"No one," Gwen admitted reluctantly, her smile fading slightly. "As much as I love my home, it is not kind to outsiders."

Well, she supposed that meant that she would have no trouble believing the stories Miyuki would tell, even if others would be incredulous.

A few blocks ahead, the market was visible, and the noise of the people there was audible. The crowds were thick, mostly women and childen, most of them smiling and laughing with a group of others.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:01 pm

"Ah... there's the sounds of the market," Miyuki grinned as the crowds came up.

Quite a busy day, but she expected that of a marketplace.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:05 pm

Gwen smiled. "Yes. A bit noisy, sure, but that never hurt anyone. You should see it in the spring, when the first crops are harvested - it gets pretty crazy then. You're lucky it's market day - it only happens twice a week at this time of year. There's not much left to sell by this point, most of the fields have been hit by frost already. I mean sure, the bakery is open year-round, and the spice merchants, and the butcher ... things like that can be sold all the time. But there's not going to be an awful lot of fresh produce anymore."

Despite the cold, most of the vendors were still outdoors, and the first stall that became clearly visible as they approached was a man and a boy - presumably his son - selling milk and milk products: butter, cream, and more.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:23 pm

That reminded her, they might need milk, and she might need butter. Milk, like all of their food stuffs was something they could preserve, but one could only carry so much milk. So milk and it's other products was something they didn't have a lot of.

But Miyuki had planned to use the spices, grains and nuts she had to make different kinds of bread. Bread was a pretty good vehicle for different spices and bread was pretty universal. She also couldn't help but wonder if this was a country that made yogurt (it was one diary product she didn't see in all countries for whatever reason).

"Remind me to do an exchange for proper currency," Miyuki murmured to Gwen, "I forgot to do that earlier... and I might want some butter."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:34 pm

"Sure," Gwen agreed. "Though if you're interested, you could always see if the merchants are willing to take items in trade instead of coin. Some may, I don't know."

She waved at someone up the street but led Miyuki towards the milk stall. The man was helping another customer, but the boy hurried over to help the two customers.

"Lady Gwen! Hi!" he beamed, his eyes gleaming. "Did you bring cookies today?"

Gwen laughed and reached over and ruffled the boy's hair. "Sorry, Connor. Not today. Maybe next time, all right?"

A look of disappointment briefly passed over the boy's face, but as quickly as it came up it was gone, replaced once more with his bright smile. "Okay. I'm gonna hold you to it though!"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Miyuki chuckled a bit, she didn't know Gwen liked to bake cookies.

"I take it Gwen bakes some really tasty cookies?" she asked.

As she did so, Miyuki thought about what she did have to trade, she did sometimes keep small runed pouches of things for trade just in case she needed to trade and didn't have currency.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:24 pm

The boy looked at Miyuki suspiciously, but Gwen smiled and put one hand on the kitsune's shoulder. "This is my friend, Miyuki," she introduced her warmly. "She's staying in the city for about two weeks with her family."

Connor eyed Miyuki doubtfully and pursed his lips. "What are you?" he asked her bluntly.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:34 pm

"I'm a kitsune," Miyuki replied with good humour, "Which is anyone with fox ears and one or more fox tails. We can have up to nine, or so I've heard, but I'm a bit on the young side."

She didn't mind the look he was giving her, at least he asked what race she was instead of assuming she was a magical mishap.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:43 pm

The boy continued to look at Miyuki through narrow eyes as if he was having difficulties processing what she had told him. He was silent for several moments, his jaw muscles tensing and untensing repeatedly.

Finally he blinked and licked his lips slowly. "Where you from, anyhow?" he asked cautiously. "Cos I never heard of anyone like you before and that's kinda weird."

Gwen had to stifle a giggle.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:50 pm

"Oh you know... far away, across a vast ocean," Miyuki replied, "My birth land is a place called Gaia, which is very very far away. Not many people travel away from there, and even fewer people visit it."

Which was true, since Gaia was another world completely but she wasn't going to get into that.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:52 pm

Gwen smiled once more and clasped her hands behind her back. "If you're interested," she said to the boy, making him look at her again, "Miyuki will be telling stories tomorrow about where she is from and the places she has seen on her travels."

Connor blinked again and looked at Miyuki once more. "Really? Can I come?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:55 pm

"Of course, the more the merrier," Miyuki agreed.

She was always happy for at least some audience to listen.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:58 pm

Connor beamed, and Gwen grinned widely.

"Now," she said, getting down to business, "I believe Miyuki was in search of some things here. Miyuki?"

She turned to the kitsune and nodded. While she was there to help Miyuki, she didn't want to take over for her. Simply help to prevent her from being ostracised, attacked, or taken advantage of.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:26 pm

"I'm actually looking to buy some butter for some bread I'll be baking," Miyuki explained.

She glanced over the diary products to see if she could ask for yogurt as well. Mixed in with some fruits would be good, and could be used to make drinks if she recalled correctly.

"And yogurt," she added.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:14 pm

The boy nodded and straightened, his demeanor changing instantly from that of an excited child to a serious businessman.

"And how much of each would you like?" he asked professionally, his dark eyes gazing up at Miyuki with a maturity that was far beyond his years.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:07 pm

Miyuki made a quick estimate of what it was she was going to make before giving off the qualities that she wanted.

"I only have things to trade though, so I will have to determine first if what I have to trade will be worth the goods I need," Miyuki added.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:16 pm

At that, Connor's brow furrowed slightly and he turned towards his father. The man was just finishing up with his previous customer, and turned to see how his son was doing. When he saw Miyuki and Gwen, he blinked slowly and his expression became completely neutral.

"Papa, she has only items to trade," Connor explained to his father hesitantly. "Is that all right?"

The man eyed Miyuki. "How much do you want, and what items do you have for trade?" he asked, his tone a bit gruff.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:39 pm

Miyuki once again repeated the amounts she would like to trade before reaching into her bag.

"For trade, I have refined sugar, sticks of cinnamon, some chili powder, curry powder and a few star anise,"
Miyuki paused and wondered if this country was familiar with tea, and decided it couldn't hurt, "And one brick of black tea."

She sounded like a spice merchant, but Miyuki found for trading spices were the easiest things to trade with so she always brought along some of her wares in case she needed to trade.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:42 pm

The man shook his head. "Sorry, no," he said, not sounding sorry at all. "Those things are no good to me. You have no coin at all?"

Gwen put one hand on Miyuki's arm, then leaned over and murmured softly into her ear. "If necessary I will pay for your purchases, and when we visit the currency exchanger you can repay me."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 26 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20 ... 26  Next