The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A Empty Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Mon May 18, 2015 11:45 pm

So say that Holly was bored with her life was perhaps an understatement worth stating again.

She was BORED with her life.

The irony of this statement was that her life wasn't completely normal at the moment. In fact she was (from what she could gathered) worlds away from her own home where the only two races to exist were humans and elves. Not only that, but these two races seemed to have taken a great dislike of each other, strangers, people different from themselves... This thought made Holly thump her head softly upon the counter top she was standing behind several times before she pulled out a small red leather book. Opening it to a fresh page, and taking out an ink bottle, she carefully dipped her quill into the ink before writing.

I miss having other nekos around...

She paused, studied in, and then added, angels, demons, other types of elves, humans, centaurs, fairies, dwarves, and kept on writing until her quill needed to be dipped into ink again. The young woman glared at the quill, dipped it into the inkwell again and wrote.

I miss ballpoint pens.

This, had been Holly's routine for nearly ten years since she had arrived in this strange world that was not Gaia. Whenever she thought of something, anything that she use to take for granted back in Gaia, she would write it down in her little leather book. It held, everything she ever missed about being back in Gaia. Top of her list, was being able to walk around with ears and tail showing.

Adjusting her bonnet once more, Holly looked out the window warily. It was a slow day, no one was in the shop, but she was always worried that someone would glance through the window and see a glimpse of tail from under her hoop skirt.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A Empty Re: Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Tue May 19, 2015 12:31 am

The bell above the door tinkled as a young woman with dark brown hair and green eyes entered. The dress she wore matched her eyes, her blouse a faded white. She wore a blood-red cloak, the hood pulled up but so far back on her head that it was a miracle that it stayed there. There was a glint in her eye and one corner of her mouth was turned up in a partial smile.

"Good morning, Holly," she greeted the shopkeeper cordially. "I know I'm not one to speak, but I have no idea how you keep that bonnet on your head all year round."

Gemia was a country located on the southern edge of Arkandia, and was incredibly hot all year round. There were wet and dry seasons, humid and not-so-humid, but despite that, Rose always insisted on wearing her cloak. She had met Holly many years ago when the woman had come to the town, and despite her being the first to accept Holly's strange ways and clothes, she still didn't feel like she really knew her.

"Anyways, I finally convinced Florence to try one of your dresses," she went on. "What do you think would work for her?"

Florence was Rose's younger sister, and looked very different from her. While Rose was brunette, Florence was blonde, and had fairer skin. She also had a bit of attitude - not too different from Rose, truth be told, but that was a truth Rose refused to admit.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A Empty Re: Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Tue May 19, 2015 12:47 am

Holly gave a small, polite smile before curtsying to Rose, "Indeed, but then again I don't know how you wear your cloak all the time..."

Like little Red Riding Hood, she didn't add, because she doubted that Rose would understand the reference. The designs on her clothing was always exotic, because no one here had heard of fairy tales or Alice in Wonderland. There were so much thing as pocket watches or tea parties. Well... there hadn't been such thing as tea parties until Holly came along. When Holly first arrived in this world she only had two things. The clothes on her back and the skills of her trade, both which turned out to be very useful to her. No one here had heard of lolita wear before Holly came along. Holly, who had been a student of textiles at a local university, proved her worth as a seamstress and accidentally started a fashion fad.

This though, suited her quite well, as it gave her wealth, and helped her to blend in better as her clothes became more widely accepted.

"As for Florence..." Holly paused and thought about it.

Such blonde hair and fair skin, the idea sweet lolita.

"I believe a jumper dress will suit her well, a blue one..." Holly turned a bit to pick out a book and turned the page to show Rose the design, "With crawling roses in stencil on it in a darker blue. I have lace that looks like hearts up close that it can be trimmed with..."

Because for some reason, Holly imagined Florence to be like Alice.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue May 19, 2015 1:00 am

Rose leaned on the counter to look at the design. She was grinning, her eyes sparkling. She was obsessive about her cloak, she knew, and Holly's comment was only fair.

"Looks good," she agreed. "I'm not sure she'd like the roses - she'd probably accuse me of picking them so that I could claim the dress for myself eventually - but aside from that, I think it's great. Just don't add a bonnet."

She winked at Holly. "She's the only one of the three of us who has any sense about the heat."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue May 19, 2015 9:11 pm

Holly wished she could tell Rose that she didn't care for the heat, but she didn't have a choice but to keep the bonnet on. Instead she gave a small pout before smiling, it made her look cute and child-like despite the fact she had a reputation for being quite the business woman.

"At least she should wear a hairclip of some sort..." Holly murmured as she re-thought about the design.

She would love to put Florance in something out of Alice and Wonderland, but only her bravest (or fashion forward) customers would wear anything with clocks, tea cups or even chess pieces and suits. These things meant nothing to the people here, except maybe tea cups. It was odd to a lot of people, why wear clothes that had food on them? The neko mentally sighed to herself before looking back to Rose.

"How about something a bit more tame then..." Holly suggested.

Which, anyone who knew her knew, when Holly said tame, she meant no complicated prints.

"I have this lovely fabric that is two shades of blue, very thin stripes. Drapes very well, and when sewn right..."

She showed Rose how the stripes would be pointing towards the middle of the torso on a slate which made the torso look thinner.

"Looks flattering on the torso. Then, the skirt will come in three parts. The top layer will be large scallop like edges with a white ribbon trim sewed in, white transparent bows and edged with white lace. Under that is another blue tier that will be somewhat pleated and under that will be the standard white netting under coat that gives it the fluff without having to use a hoop skirt."

Of course there would be more lace around the neckline and probably a few more bows, but Rose should know by now how this tended to work.

"Otherwise I just put her into something checkered with a suits pattern, but that happens to be my more exotic designs..."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue May 19, 2015 9:45 pm

Rose leaned forward to inspect the material and nodded smartly before smiling. "Yes. I think she'll like that. And she could use the flattery." She snickered a bit. It was no secret that her sister loved sweets far more than was healthy for most people, and hated work nearly as much.

She looked up at Holly. "What kind of hair clip?" she asked. "I don't suppose you've got anything with ivy on it. Or maybe some birds, I don't know."

Her sister was a bit difficult at times. She liked certain plants and hated others. She loved birds, but hated most four-legged animals. The only thing she really seemed to enjoy no matter what was food, either making or consuming it.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue May 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Holly looked thoughtful, if she had designed an ivy dress, she would have agreed to an ivy hair clip, however she was not going to do that when her customer was decked out in a vivid shade of blue.

"Well... I was going to say a multi-petal bow set onto lace with streamers... but I guess I could add feathers to that..."

She forgot how picky Florence could be, honestly despite her looks, Holly would have put her in a theme sweets dress if she could get away with it.

"How did you convince her to try a dress?" Holly had to ask.

Lolita wear (despite Holly having tweaked it for a hotter climate) it was all about modesty, and so wasn't quite practical for hot weather. This was probably why she also sold a lot of parasols during her time here. In fact, despite the name "jumper dress" she didn't expect Florence to wear a shirt under that, maybe a short sleeve one, but never a long sleeve one like traditional wear.

Holly also missed coats... there were a lot of cute lolita coats, but no one needed a coat here.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue May 19, 2015 10:25 pm

"Reverse psychology," Rose grinned. Her eyes sparkled brightly. "Just told her that she wouldn't be able to pull it off."

She tapped her chin thoughtfully. "I like the idea of the streamers ... don't worry about the feathers then."

She was rather enjoying this. She wasn't exactly the most fashion-savvy person around, but she did like to dress people up - especially her sister.

"How much do you think we could get away with?" she asked bemusedly.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue May 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Holly couldn't help but give a wryly grin, there was something about Rose that always did that to her. Perhaps because Rose was the first to accept her, despite all her strangeness.

"If you can get her to at least wear the dress and the hair clip, I would consider ourselves quite lucky," Holly told her, "If she wasn't a new customer and she would trust me completely. I'd just put her into something blue, with card suits on the skirt, and maybe a frilly apron to match, white stockings and shiny black leather shoes."

Holly could say that she had an obsession with getting people to wear familiar fairytale things. She even had made Rose a whole Red Riding Hood outfit once to match her red cloak, complete with a wicker bag that had lace and red ribbon trim. For some reason, Holly found that amusing.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue May 19, 2015 11:21 pm

"Baby steps," Rose reminded Holly. "If we can get her into the dress and clip, the rest just might come eventually."

Suddenly the bell above the door tinkled again, and this time it was a young gentleman who entered. Peter was also a client of Holly's, and was very well dressed. Dark green was his colour of choice, and it went well with his dark hair. He had on a white dress shirt and jabot, and a green vest, pants and jacket, with a golden yellow cummerbund.

"Well, look who's here!" he exclaimed, acting as if he'd had no idea that either woman was in there. "Two of my favourite girls!" He grinned at Holly and sauntered up to the counter, leaning against it next to Rose.

Rose rolled her eyes and straightened up. "Hello, Peter," she said somewhat emotionlessly.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue May 19, 2015 11:37 pm

Holly did a better job hiding her disdain and curtsy to him like she had done with Rose.

"Good afternoon Peter," Holly replied.

Ignoring the fact he had talked to them so fondly, like he knew them. It was probably worse than if Peter had just gone after one of them, rather than equally shower attention upon them. It didn't endear him at all.

"What brings you into the shop today?"

Perhaps new clothes? He was very well dressed, but also, Holly thought, a bit vain.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue May 19, 2015 11:52 pm

Peter smiled slyly and reached two fingers into his two breast pockets. "Just thought I'd bring a little sunshine to two lovely ladies."

With a flick of his wrists, a flower appeared in each of his hands, and he held them out, one to each of the girls. Rose arched one eyebrow at him, the kind of expression that said Are you kidding me?
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed May 20, 2015 12:14 am

Holly blinked, she didn't blush (there was no reason to) and didn't swoon (this was stupid), but she took the flower all the same and thanked him for it. She wasn't sure why Peter would try for both of them, clearly he wasn't interested in marriage (Holly prayed he wasn't).

"Did you just get off from work?" Holly inquired softly.

The question really was, why wasn't he at work?

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed May 20, 2015 11:00 am

"Father closed the shop early today to get ready for a dinner party at the mayor's," Peter answered, waving his hand dismissively. "But then I thought that since he and Mother are going to be gone for the evening, that perhaps I ought to hold a party of my own. Father agreed, and the servants are already preparing, so here I am, personally inviting my guests."

His eyes twinkled as he added, "I find they are far less likely to refuse me in person than they are by note."

"You do realize that most people will already have plans for the evening, right?" Rose pointed out, putting her chin in her hand and looking at him expectantly.

Peter straightened proudly and faced Rose head-on. "Rose, miller's daughter, do you have any plans for this evening?" he asked her so formally that it was almost foppish. "For if not, then I pray you grace me with your presence this night at my dinner party, and save at least one dance for me." He bowed low, one arm sweeping out to the side.

Rose couldn't help herself. She actually burst out laughing. "Oh, stand up," she giggled at him, swatting his shoulder playfully. "As it happens, I had plans to chase my sister with a rat this evening, but I suppose I could change my plans."

While her tone was teasing, everyone in the room knew that it was actually a real possibility.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed May 20, 2015 10:31 pm

Some boys never change, no matter what world she was in. Holly had to smile a bit at Rose's admission, poor Florence. Though at least he did ask permission before throwing his own party. That was the other thing about Peter, he was... very well off, and that was saying something because Holly wasn't too shabby in terms of income herself.

Holly even had a property other than her shop, but that was for her apprentices, under the guise that young women should know how to keep house properly. Truth was, Holly didn't want to risk anyone from the village knowing her secret. She needed apprentices though, to keep up with the demand, and one day she would give her most talented of apprentices her shop when she finally moved on.

That reminded her, she was going to have to do that soon, she wasn't getting any younger (supposedly). Taking her head out of those thoughts, Holly shook her head.

"Really Rose, your poor sister," Holly smiled with a soft tease, "Wouldn't it be more fun to join me in a lacing lessons with my girls?"

While Holly took on apprentices on out of demand for her clothing, she was determined to make them students of textiles like herself. She taught lacing, dying, felting, embroidery, sewing, knitting and more. She taught them how to sketch out designs and determine size and fit... unfortunately she couldn't teach reading or writing for those who didn't know it because of the language different.

Not all of her apprentices went on to make clothes, because what she taught could be applied to other textile crafts. Some went onto make bags, leather goods, and others made toys or hatting. Those that went on to apprentice or work in other fields were given designs by Holly because she simply could not make everything herself.

Not bad for a nearly decade of work...

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed May 20, 2015 10:45 pm

Rose made a face. "Thanks, Holly, but honestly I'd rather go to Peter's party. You can put me in all the lace you want, I won't complain, but don't ask me to do any of the work myself."

Despite enjoying dressing up, Rose was a tomboy at heart, and well she knew it.

"Besides," she added, "you know Florence deserves it. Little prat, always disappearing and leaving her work for me to do."

Last edited by Nara-pyon on Fri May 22, 2015 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed May 20, 2015 10:57 pm

This was why Holly liked being around Rose, Rose was always speaking her mind and saying things like this.

"I don't know why, your sister just doesn't apprentice with someone," Holly admitted, "The baker could use some help, or goodness knows the sweet shop could. Especially since they've been experimenting with different types of treats... and she would like that sort of thing."

Which might have been the result of the fact Holly's only indulgence was commissioning certain sweets that she missed and didn't have time to make herself. Holly didn't have servants, she had sweets. Her last request was cookies made into spoons, because why not.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed May 20, 2015 11:11 pm

"She would like it too much," Rose agreed. "That's probably why they won't take her. They'd go out of business."

"Oh, come now, Rose," Peter chided her. "Florence isn't that bad. She likes her sweets, I'll admit it - but she wouldn't go that far. She can control herself."

Rose blinked at Peter. "You think so?" she asked him. "Invite her to your party tonight, see how many guests go home hungry."

Peter shook his head. "Selective guest list tonight because it's such short notice. But you are coming, right? Both of you?" He looked between the two women, looking for their answers.

Rose tilted her head to one side and looked at Holly. "What do you think?" she asked her softly. "Think we can make it?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed May 20, 2015 11:26 pm

Holly sighed, she would much rather do lacing with the girls, being in close quarters with so many people... She would have to wear a floor length dress to be safe and then she would have to mingle with other men... and then there was Peter.

The boy should just go off and get married to someone already!

"I'm sure the girls would like a day off from lessons," Holly said slowly, "I can make arrangements, but."

She held up a finger to Peter.

"Tell your servants to not insist on taking my bonnet or Rose's cloak."

Holly had always dressed it up as a modesty issue, even though there was nothing in the lolita guidelines saying she couldn't go without a bonnet. It was just easier that way, and in fact Holly often did up her hair and hid it under her bonnet. The padding gave her ears a bit more room.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed May 20, 2015 11:52 pm

Peter held up both hands defensively. "I'll give the instruction," he promised. "Don't worry."

He, like everyone else, was completely perplexed by Holly's obsession with her bonnets, but as long as Rose kept up her obsession with her cloak and stood up in defense of Holly, one would have to be borderline suicidal to try to mess with either of them.

"I look forward to seeing both of you this evening then," he said, sounding formal again. "Half past twenty-two. But now I need to deliver the rest of my invitations."

"If such you call it," Rose quipped. She nodded her head to him. "See you later, Peter."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu May 21, 2015 12:13 am

"See you at the party Peter," Holly nodded.

She hoped he would leave soon, otherwise she just might get a headache. Her tail twitched under her skirt, because she was kind of annoyed at him. Granted she could have turned down the invite for tonight, but Peter was so.... determined.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu May 21, 2015 9:54 am

On his way out the door, Peter bowed low and murmured, "Fare well, ladies, and I look forward to your presences this evening."

And then he was gone.

The moment the door was closed behind him, Rose sighed audibly and rolled her eyes as she looked back towards Holly.

"He just doesn't give up, does he?" she murmured. "What do you think the ratio of girls to boys will be this time? Two to one? Three?"

Perhaps it was an exaggeration, but Peter did tend to invite more girls than boys to his parties so that the boys were guaranteed dance partners. It was easier to hide the shame of being turned down when it happened - and it did happen on occasion, especially when Rose was the one being asked. She liked dressing up and looking pretty, but dancing - like sewing - was not her thing.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu May 21, 2015 9:32 pm

"At the very least there will be more boys than women as usual," Holly had to sigh.

She had no trouble calling anyone Peter invited boys, but knew very well that all the 'girls' their age was expected to marry. Goodness knows, Holly had been pestered about that enough over the past two or three years.

"Really, his family only agrees to this in hopes that he will marry. While not necessary at his age," Holly frowned, that was another truth, "He's not going to make a good marriage at this rate."

Anyone who married Peter would be in it for the stability his status could provide, there wasn't really much else Peter had to offer at this point. Most would consider that fine, as long as the girl was of good standing, but Holly would like to have at least respect there if she couldn't have romance.

Really, she was still a Gaian, she would prefer romance.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu May 21, 2015 9:55 pm

Rose blew a raspberry. "He can marry a toad for all I care," she muttered. While she shared many of Holly's views, she didn't care about being proper about expressing herself. "Still, he's better than some, you've got to admit that much."

She sighed and leaned her head on her hand. "So. A party tonight. We need a way to make this interesting. Got any ideas?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu May 21, 2015 10:11 pm

"I'm assuming you're not asking me for fashion advice?" Holly replied dryly.

One had to be careful around Rose, for she could easily undo all of Holly's attempts to remain nothing more than a demure woman. Granted, Holly always suspected Rose knew she was acting, but never called her out on it.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next