A Long Awaited Vacation - 119 4A

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Long Awaited Vacation - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:52 pm

Elrohir gestured towards the stables. "Why not there?" he suggested. "Elberon is as inquisitive as ever, but he's also very busy - if not distracted entirely. And if it's our first stop and we have the entire rest of the ranch left to see, then perhaps we can get through quickly enough."

Haradhel chuckled softly and started to lead the others in the direction of the stable door. It was wide open and showed the aisle down the middle of the building, wth horse stalls on either side and straw all over the floor.
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:32 pm

Donovan chuckled, "Sure why not? Is he still the go-to person for any gossip around here?"

It had tickled him pink to hear about how fast stories about Lin, Earendil and the existence of Miyuki had spread and he was told it was because of Elberon.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:10 am

"Of course he is," Elrohir grinned. "But if you ask him too much, there won't be any other surprises."

"The only bigger gossip around is Ulrich, but he made it quite clear last night that he has no interest in spoiling any surprises," Haradhel added.

They entered the stable. Immediately they were greeted with the scent of horses, straw and manure, though none of the horses were actually in their stalls. The only movement (aside from bits of dust floating through the air) was some people tossing straw in a pen halfway down the stable. Elberon was working hard, and he wasn't alone. With him was a woman, golden-haired, and though she was dressed for working in the barn, her awkward movements showed that she wasn't used to this kind of work.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:24 am

It was a strange place, and it smelled to the twins. Faith just wrinkled her nose and pressed her face so firmly against Donovan's coat he thought she was going to suffocate herself.

"Keep taking breaths, you'll get use to it," he told her, but didn't bother to pry her away.

Especially since she was pretty much hugging him and pressing her face into his thigh like he was a pillow.

Meanwhile, Kara called out for Elberon and waved.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:49 am

Elberon lowered his pitchfork and looked to see who was calling him, and when he saw Donovan and Kara and the kids, he beamed.

"Well, hello!" he called warmly. "If it isn't our original employers! Welcome, welcome, it's been quite a long time! What brings you all the way out to the stables? You don't usually come out here."

The woman next to him lowered her pitchfork as well and leaned on it, staring openly at the Gaians.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:55 am

"Considering how long it's been since we've managed to visit, we just had to visit everywhere," Kara replied, "Especially with all the changes going on. Lin is going to be so surprised when she gets back."

And then probably spend several months in the Borderlands exploring. Which was fine, after all, Lin now lived in this world, Kara just hoped she would visit Gaia first though.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:10 am

"That is true," Elberon admitted with a chuckle. "There have been many changes here. More buildings, new buildings, redone buildings, more people, new people - not redone people, though some people have changed."

He grinned and gestured for the woman next to him to step forward, which she did. Turning back to the others, he introduced her.

"Kara, Donovan, this is Ava," he said, his grin widening. "Ava, this is Kara and Donovan and some of their many children."

Ava held a hand out to Donovan and Kara. "Nice to meet you," she greeted them. "You're the ones who know my father, I think ... I've heard your names before."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:49 am

Donovan shook her head first, "Really? Who is your father?"

He sort of figured it might be one of the long time workers on the ranch. Even one of the fighters, as Donovan knew those men the best.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:04 am

"Beregond," Ava replied with a slight smile. "Amara and Fletcher are my grandparents."

"Ava's family came to visit during the summer," Elberon explained, grinning widely. "The idea was to check out the ranch for a few days and then stay with Amara and Fletcher for a few weeks, but-"

"-but I decided that I wanted to stay here on the ranch instead," Ava interrupted, her smile widening. "And, when Ada and Mother went back to Chansond'eau, I decided to stay here on my own."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:15 am

"Oh yes!" Kara smiled brightly, "I haven't seen your father since he was a boy."

That was a very long time ago, and really Kara had only met Beregond twice her life.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:23 am

"Well, it's the first time we ever came here," Ava pointed out. "It was even Mother's first time coming here."

"I have to say, it was a surprise to hear that Ava was going to stay," Elberon added. "Hard to believe now, but she certainly hated it here when she first arrived."

Ava blushed. "I was born and raised in the city, never touched a horse until I came here," she murmured. "It just ... wasn't my thing."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:55 pm

"Fair enough," Kara nodded, "Donovan and I currently live around the outskirts of a city. Though his family does keep horses, and I use to live further out so am a bit familiar with them. Hope and Faith though have never seen a horse in person."

They had seen pictures of course, but beyond that...

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:09 pm

"Well, the horses are outside, if you want to see them," Elberon offered. "Ava can take you-"

"Or we could," Elrohir smiled. "If the two of you want to keep working together."

Elberon looked at Ava, who looked back at him, blushing. Or maybe it was just the crisp winter air bringing out the colour in her cheeks. Either way, she was smiling pretty widely.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:41 pm

Kara wondered, but she smiled all the same, "It's fine, we can go see the horses with Haradhel and Elrohir."

Besides, seeing the horses was more for the twins' benefit, it would be good for them to see some big animals.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:23 pm

Elberon smiled widely and bowed his head. "Absolutely," he agreed. "Thank you."

Elrohir chuckled and motioned for Donovan and Kara and the others to continue on down the aisle. "If you continue all the way to the other side of the building and outside, we'll see the horses there."

The door at the far end of the building was wide open, as the first one had been, and that was what was allowing a breeze to blow gently through the building and clearing the air.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:39 pm

The group continued down the aisle, though Donovan had to pick Faith up since she was clinging to him so badly. Once she felt the wind though, she lifted her head and wanted back down once they were outside.

"There we all," he finally set her down, "Much better right?"

Faith nodded eagerly.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Haradhel pulled her cloak tighter around herself as they stepped outside, but Elrohir didn't seem bothered by the wind. They were now in a small corral, and on the far side of it was a gate leading to the larger pasture where the horses were at the moment.

"Do you want to see them up close and personal, or from a distance?" Elrohir asked the others. "I don't know how comfortable the girls will be with them, so it's up to you."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:19 pm

"What do you think?" Kara asked the two girls.

Since only they would know their comfort level. Hope though looked torn between wanting to hide and wanting to ask to pet them. She kept staring at the horses and then looking back at her mom. Finally, Hope pattered over to Donovan and held her arms up.

"Da-dee... let's pet the orses," she told him, with the restriction that he hold her while she did so because that made things so much better.

Faith didn't need such a thing and made her way over to her mother and nodded in agreement.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:55 pm

"Probably safest to hold them both," Elrohir cautioned them, heading towards the gate to the pasture. "Come."

Haradhel let Donovan and Kara go after Elrohir and then took up the rear, closing the gate behind them.

The pasture was enormous - it had to be, for so many horses - and there was no guarantee that they would walk in the fastest direction to find the horses, but Elrohir led them in the most likely direction.

"Hope you're up for a walk," he grinned at the others.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:17 am

Taking Elrohir's advice, Kara picked up Faith and carried her along.

"Fortunately we still try to stay active," Kara chuckled, "Though I think Donovan does a better job at that than I do."

Once Triton managed to wiggle out of his teaching obligation at the public school, Donovan took advantage of this and spent time at the dojo sparring with the neko. In fact, Triton found himself teaching quite a bit, or being someone's sparring partner. It was a drastic change of pace for the guy who spent his first career cooking for a living, and his second career teaching non-committed teenagers.

Not that it was a bad thing, it gave Triton a chance to go back to focusing on the martial arts. It also allowed him to be a stay a home parent, which brought great leaps in improvement for Iris.

"It helps Triton is now actually running the dojo."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:33 am

"Being a full-time mother is plenty of activity," Haradhel pointed out, grinning. "It was for me, anyways, and for everyone else I've spoken with."

Elrohir spotted some horses to the north and changed their direction accordingly.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:39 am

"Yes but living close to a city meant I didn't have to walk or spend as much time preparing as some mothers," Kara added wryly, "And I am greatly blessed to have children living close by who are not yet married or have children and like to stop by."

Then again, Triton had a child, and still at times dropped by.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:45 am

Haradhel smiled. "All the more to keep you busy," she shrugged.

Not that she understood what it meant to be close to a city in Gaia. Here in Arda, it didn't mean much different from being out in the middle of nowhere, except that their food came from the market instead of having to grow it themselves.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:43 am

Kara nodded that was true, and the twins certainly kept her busy.

"Orse! Look!" Faith pointed out the obvious, but her mommy was being distracted and clearly needed this to be pointed out to her, "They're pretty!"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:00 am

"Just remember to keep your voices down as we get closer," Elrohir cautioned the child. "If you're too loud, you'll frighten them away."

He had to agree with her, though: they were very pretty horses. He didn't have anything to do with it, unfortunately, but that didn't mean that he couldn't enjoy their beauty, too.

"The horses are worth more than they've ever been before," he grinned. "We have some excellent people working here, and Aliya and Amdir's eye for horses is unsurpassed."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top