Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:34 am

"Personally, I don't think any of the creatures with us would be accepted," Kyrie frowned. "Dragons are feared by all, and the Pokemon are simply too different, too strange."

"I'm sure I'll be fine on my own," Wren insisted. "If you're that worried about me, just watch me in the mirror. Then you can see if something goes wrong and come to my rescue. I can also give you a signal to attack that way. You can get the layout and numbers by watching me, and when I feel it's a good time-"

"Whatever we choose, someone isn't going to be happy," Daeron pointed out, looking from Kyrie to Khetal and back. "But I think Wren has a good point. She's been invited on specific terms. The safest way for her to proceed would be for her to follow those terms to the letter."
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:42 am

"Then how about this as a compromise, we come up with a system for watching Wren and signalling everyone if anything happens?" Miyuki suggested, "We sort of all been taking turns when we can to watch the mirrors because there was relative safety where she was. If we have proper shifts, and a way to get a hold of everyone while she's out, then the response time will be faster if we need it to be."

This way it didn't feel like they were going in without a back up plan for Wren.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:49 am

"And what kind of signal would she use?" Daeron asked.

Iorlas reached over and put one hand on her husband's arm. "I think she meant that were something to happen, whoever was watching the mirror would need to signal everyone here to go in for a rescue," she murmured with a gentle smile.

"But do bear in mind that if they're seriously considering hiring me, they'll probably want to test me," Wren added. "So don't just come in at the first sign of anything. Only if it looks really serious."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:58 am

"Maybe," Holly spoke up, "It would be best to have at least one person who is a good judge of danger to help watch the mirrors."

Being a city girl for most of her life, she wouldn't know when it would be too dangerous for Wren and wouldn't want to call in everyone early.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:05 am

"Agreed," Wren nodded. "The last thing we need is to blow it because someone panicked."

"Then Earendil and I are probably the best ones to watch," Daeron interjected. "We're both familiar with your fighting style and abilities."

"I think Jassin, Mailon and I would also qualify, simply from experience," Kyrie pointed out.

Wren smiled. "The rest of you are going to have an even bigger task," she murmured.

"Oh?" asked Rose, arching one eyebrow.

Wren laughed and leaned against Khetal's shoulder. "Making sure this one gets the rest he needs," she grinned.

Khetal blushed and frowned. "Is this the thanks I get for worrying about you?"

"Worrying, yes," Wren nodded smugly. "But caring gets you something else."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:05 pm

Lin chuckled, "I'm sure we can manage...."

It was sweet really, though Khetal was really asking for that.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:22 pm

The following morning, Wren packed up the tent and traveled alone through the forest. Aside from a minor skirmish with a snake (which didn't end well for the snake), her trek passed uneventfully.

At length, just a few hours later, she came upon the place she was meant to go to. She backtracked into the jungle again about ten minutes' distance and set up the tent once more. Before she headed out again, she stepped inside.

"Here goes," she announced, just a single step inside the door. "Any last words of advice?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:35 pm

"I wish I could say I do, but everything I have to say, you already know," Lin replied.

And there wasn't much point in repeating advice.

"Well be careful!" Miyuki called out, "But that was a given."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:40 pm

"Don't get killed?" Daeron offered with a grin.

"Don't worry about Khetal," Kyrie winked at Wren. "I'll take good care of him, if I have to drug him to do it."

"Hey!" Khetal protested.

Wren laughed and kissed Khetal on the cheek. "Behave, and they won't do anything to you," she grinned. "I'll be thinking of you, don't worry."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:54 pm

"And we'll be keeping watch," Lin added, "On the both of you."

So they were good to go then.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:07 pm

Wren chuckled and slapped Khetal's cheek playfully. "So no more inappropriatenesses, you hear?" she winked at him.

Khetal smiled faintly. "You just worry about yourself," he murmured. "Now go on, get this all over with."

"See you all soon," Wren smiled; and she left again.

Once she was gone, Lancaeriel went outside to reactivate the security runes, and then they settled in to take turns watching the mirror. It took Wren only about ten minutes to reach the location once more. It was huge: surrounded by a fence made of metal spikes, there were fields, streams, fruit trees and animals visible through the fence, and there were a few men working in the fields. The house, beyond all that, was like a miniature palace itself.

Notably absent was any visible security, aside from the spiked fence.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:15 pm

"You know.... Alph talked about this guy, he only referred to him as a stranger who just happens to have a lot of money, but someone with a set up like that must have had a lot of money to start out with and then be in the business of selling or trading something of great value. I haven't seen an operation like that since Haven, and the ranch house doesn't look like that!"

Miyuki tilted her head curiously to her mother, it did look very self sustaining like Haven, but Haven seemed to her, more inviting.

"How did Haven start? You said it was an operation too?" the kitsune asked.

"A group of slavers had the poor idea of attacking your grandparents, uncles and aunt. Your grandfather never forgot that and took whatever coin he could find off of their bodies to fund an operation to hunt down more slavers," Lin explained, "It's a story you'll have to get from your grandfather as I don't think Dareon remembers the full details of that attack. Horses by the way, was the business that kept Haven going when they weren't hunting slavers."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:32 pm

"And it's what keeps them going still," Daeron added. "Not that they need it anymore, I suppo-"

He cut himself off when, in the mirror, Wren whirled around suddenly as if something behind her had startled her. Then, moving so fast he could barely follow her movements, she let off two shots with her bow, drew her two blades, and ran towards two dogs who were running towards her, snarling and barking at her. The next thing he knew, the dogs were dead on the ground, and Wren was looking back away from the mansion again.

The whole thing had taken only two or three seconds.

Daeron stared, shocked. "What ... was that?"

Kyrie, who had also seen it, was completely speechless.

Kaito was staring, wide-eyed, grinning. "Wow," he breathed. "If only this thing had instant replay!"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:37 pm

"Were those attack dogs?" Lin asked.

It was something that she never questioned about this continent, and that was the fact they domesticated cats and dogs (well more dogs than cats at any rate). Back in Arda, it wasn't something she ever saw.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:43 pm

"It sure looked like it," Kaito grinned.

"But did you see how fast she was moving?" Daeron said incredulously.

Kyrie shook her head slowly. "I've never seen anyone move so fast," she murmured.

As they watched, Wren was approached by two unarmed men. She held out the letter, and one of the men read it. The other man spoke with Wren until the first had finished the letter, and then they brought Wren to the front gate and opened it to lead her inside.

"So far so good," Khetal sighed quietly with relief.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:04 pm

Miyuki nodded slowly as she leaned forward in her seat. She wanted to see if they would be able to see the man behind it all.

It was a pity there wasn't any sound, then they could eavesdrop but that would take a lot more power and was more complicated.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:45 pm

Wren was led through the property towards the mansion. It turned out that there were more than just two men working the grounds, but considering how far she had to walk to reach the mansion, it was not surprising that the others hadn't been visible in the mirror before. At the door, one of her guides held the door while the other led her inside. Only one went in with her, and he led her through the mansion, talking all the time.

The inside of the mansion was even more ornate than the outside, with dark wooden walls and floors, intricately carved. Tapestries hung on the walls, but the angle of their view didn't give the travelers a good look at what was on them.

Wren was brought up two flights of stairs and then down another hallway. This hall was carpeted, and rather than dark walls, the walls were painted in bright colours. Light filtered into the hall from various doorways, giving the place a warm glow.

Once they reached the end of the hallway, Wren was left alone for a moment as her guide stepped through a doorway out onto a balcony.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:53 pm

Holly would have been able to judge better than Lin the cost of every single item in that mansion that they could glimpse, but Lin had lived in this world long enough to know this went above and beyond being wealthy. This could easily give any royalty a run for their money.

Frankly, it made her uncomfortable.

It was Miyuki who voiced it though, "This person has got to have people they show off to on a regular basis. Every single thing in there just shouts of wealth. The carving would have taken huge amounts of time, he has both tapestries and carpets. Can't see them from here, but I bet anything they're very elaborate and might even have gold. Proper glass windows are expensive too, and bright dyes cost quite a bit."

Of course Miyuki, who liked to browse the market would know about this sort of thing.

"I bet the person who owns this place is probably wearing something richly coloured, most likely red, blue or even purple if this person likes to show off."

Well... not purple, Miyuki admitted. She had once asked Holly why she had so much purple cloth, to which the neko had admitted that no one in town could afford purple cloth, but Holly could as a maker of clothing, but she admitted that what she had, had the cloth for years and would never be able to get hold of such a thing again. It was that hard to get.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:15 am

"Well, perhaps we'll see in a moment," Kyrie murmured as Wren's guide returned.

He said something to Wren, waited for her to nod in response, and then led her out onto the balcony as well. The moment Wren stepped out, her eyes widened in shock for a moment before she seemed to regain control of herself. A moment later, the reason why became apparent.

The hand that reached for Wren's was slim and smooth, and it was attached to a very attractive young woman. Her golden hair was pulled up in a loose knot, with flyaway strands blowing gently in the breeze. She was wearing a full-body sarong, dyed bright blue with golden embroidery. Around her neck were several thin strands of gold, looping around in what could be either one very long or a great many shorter necklaces. There were also a few strands around both wrists and ankles, and gold and sapphire earrings shaped like birds hung from each ear.

Kaito blinked and stared. "You're ... kidding," he breathed.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:18 am

"I'm... so glad I did not put a gender pronoun to that person," Miyuki finally announced.

Lin shrugged a bit, but was also surprised. She wasn't quite sure why, after all it took all kinds of people.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:25 am

Khetal frowned deeply. "Why?" he murmured. "Not that it would make sense were it a man, either, but ... this is somehow even more shocking."

The woman in the mirror laughed at Wren and gestured for her to sit on one of the chairs that were out there. She took the chair next to Wren and began to speak with her.

"I'd love to know what she's saying," Kyrie sighed.

"And who she is," Kaito added. "And what her setup is."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:29 am

"I think there's a lot of things about this that doesn't make sense," Miyuki spoke up, "But until I saw her, I don't think I thought about them at all."

It was weird thought, but just seeing that the person was a woman and not a man, made Miyuki think about how weird this all was.

"Oh?" Lin inquired.

"Well... look at where we are, we're on the other side of the country, far away from where it all started for us," Miyuki pointed out, "We were told by Alph that... she... wanted the land, that's why they were getting rid of the people who lived there, but that's really far. Why would you want land, so far away from where you are? And it's not like this country is crowded, or even this area that we're in, if it's just a pure land grab. Unless there was something special about where we were..."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:37 am

"Nothing, so far as I know," Kyrie frowned, sounding confused. "I've been there many times, and I've never noticed anything ..."

"What about littinum?" Kaito suggested. "Eron found that vein in Eaulir, would there be any in Eausin?"

Kyrie looked at him, both surprised and intrigued by his idea. "I ... suppose ... it's possible ..."

"Pity we didn't ask Killian when we had the chance," Kaito quipped with a shrug.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:42 am

"The Water Elves in Eausin knew about littinum, I don't know if that's what they called it, but they knew of it. Apparently they find the stuff on occasion," Miyuki commented absently remembering the reaction to the chunk of littinum in Eron's room.

It was all a guess though, who knew if there was something as valuable as littinum in an area like that?

"Though, now I really, really want to know what they're talking about..." Lin murmured.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:00 am

Unfortunately, as they had already discussed, there was no sound through the mirror, so there was no way to know what they were talking about. After a while, the guide left the two of them alone, and they talked for a long time.

Eventually, the two of them rose, and at the snap of the woman's finger, the guide appeared once more. He brought Wren down the hall once more to the last room before the stairs and led her inside. They spoke briefly before Wren was left alone. She closed the door behind him, dropped her bag on the floor, unstrapped her weapons and lay down on the bed.

"Looks like she's got a good room," Kaito grinned.

He had a point. The room she was in was just as ornately decorated as the rest of the upper floor: a carpeted floor, quilted bed with several pillows on it; a folding paper screen, painted with ocean scenes; a padded chair at a writing desk; and tapestries on two of the walls. And that was just what was visible in the mirror.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top