A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A

Page 2 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:17 am

"Woah!" Hikaru hurried over to the mirror and peered here, "Where are you?"

Everything was recognizable to him, and that was a new thing for him. He didn't even have to pretend to be in awe.

"I mean, sure, I'm never in a hurry, but seriously where are you?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:19 am

"Poleria, though with Uruloki's help we hope to be back home in a day or two," Kyrie replied. "I'll explain more when Ahkshi is there."

Even as she spoke, Ahkshi returned to the room, a bottle of wine in his hand. He looked at Huron, perplexed, when he saw him looking into the mirror.

"Huron?" he said hesitantly. "Something wrong?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:23 am

"Wait... what? You're where?" because Hikaru had heard of that country but avoided it as he deemed not even being human would save him ass over there.

Huron waved Ahkshi over to the bathing room the moment he heard the man spoke.

"Ahkshi! Come see this!"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:28 am

Kyrie's face flooded with relief, and the moment Ahkshi appeared in front of the mirror she clasped her hands together, wringing them anxiously.

"Ahkshi," she said, her voice filled with emotion.

Ahkshi was as shocked as Huron to see Kyrie in his mirror, though her surroundings were familiar to him. It was the room in the tent she was staying in while traveling. He had even visited it once.

"K-Kyrie?" He blinked. He didn't understand.

Kyrie closed her eyes tightly, pressing her fists to her mouth, and her shoulders were shaking slightly. Ahkshi was immediately concerned, and he reached out towards the mirror instinctively, stopping short just before coming into contact with it when he realized that he wouldn't be able to comfort his wife from where he was. "What's happening?"

Kyrie opened her eyes, lowered her hands, and took a deep breath. "We're in Poleria," she told him, repeating what she had already told Huron. "We need your help, and Huron's, if he's up for it. We'll be coming tomorrow, or the day after. How much space do you have available in the clinic?"

Ahkshi blinked again, still too surprised to really comprehend what was going on.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:31 am

Hikaru was surprised too, but he was familiar enough with this kind of magic to not be caught completely off guard. While Huron probably should have also been speechless, Hikaru's (relative) knowledge of Poleria kicked his healer's side into gear.

"How many of you are hurt?" he asked.

Though he wasn't sure how he could help, he could do basic first aid, he could diagnosis people but his field was not surgery if that was what was required.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:36 am

"Unknown," Kyrie replied quickly. "But there will be quite a few. We may need to use the runed tents for more space in the clinic, or even the clinic we're setting up here in our tent."

She exhaled loudly and took a deep breath. "All right, let me start at the beginning, as much as we have time for." Her dark eyes shifted to her husband. "Ahkshi, you remember the experiments I told you about in Poleria, the ones I was a part of when I was young?"

Ahkshi nodded dumbly, and Kyrie went on.

"They're back at it, and worse than I've ever seen. They've done a lot in the past two centuries. We're going to try to get out as many people as we can - and I have to warn you, there are a lot of subjects this time. More than I've ever seen before. Eight facilities' worth."

Once more, Ahkshi was stricken dumb before he could say anything at all.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:43 am

Hikaru was trying to wrack his brain on what exactly that country was doing. He wasn't sure if it was bio or chemical. Deciding it was best to ask (Huron shouldn't have known this information anyways), Hikaru spoke up.

"What were they experimenting with?"

He really hoped it wasn't medical procedures, like seeing how the body worked because there was very little he could do in that case. Actually, most probably wouldn't be able to be rescued if that was the case.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:09 pm

"Poison," Kyrie replied. "Khetal can tell you more when we come, I don't know yet exactly what it is or what stages they're at or ... anything, really. We're working on creating a new room, a sort of informal clinic here in the tent, but as soon as it's ready we're going to make a raid and rescue as many as we can and then we'll be coming to you as soon as we can. The clinic will probably be too small, but we can use the smaller tents - or just keep them in the one we're making, if we have the right tools and medicines here."

Ahkshi nodded. "That might be best," he agreed. "I'll make sure to have as much as I can ready. When you come, set up the tent where it was last year and send Uruloki for me, no matter the time of day or night."

"Don't be daft," Kyrie said crossly. "I will come and get you myself."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:20 pm

Hikaru opened his mouth and closed it again. There was something about her plan or explanation that didn't make any sense. However his brain was stuck on the fact there were patients in need that were poisoned.

"I have some activated charcoal pressed into tablets. They are probably too far gone by the time they arrive to be of use but it's worth a try," Hikaru replied, "If Arkshi doesn't mind I can stay here and wait as well."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:30 pm

"Please do," Ahkshi nodded. "If there are as many patients as Kyrie makes it sound like there may be, I would appreciate the help."

Relief flashed across Kyrie's face, and she sighed softly. "Thank you. Both of you. And as much as I wish I could continue this conversation, Ahkshi ... I miss you so much ... but there's so much to do." She kissed her fingers and blew it towards him. "I'll see you in a few days."

Ahkshi smiled and nodded again. "We'll be r-ready," he promised.

In the mirror, Kyrie looked to one side and nodded, and a hand appeared in front of the mirror as if someone were reaching for it from one side. Then Kyrie's image vanished, replaced with the mirror's usual reflective glass.

Ahkshi turned to Huron. "If I h-hadn't already m-met some of her c-c-companions," he said dryly, "I'd q-q-q-question how that was p-p-possible."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:35 pm

"I confess I think my brain was purposely skipping over everything that doesn't make sense," Hikaru admitted honestly, "Otherwise I would have been very distracted."

Even though the old Gaian part of himself said it was magic, what else could it be? But at the same time this wasn't Gaia and that shouldn't have been possible.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:45 pm

Ahkshi chuckled. "I c-confess that it t-t-took a while for me to f-fully understand it all the f-f-first time they came here, too," he assured his friend. "Of c-course, the fact that they n-n-needed m-medical help the first t-time they came m-made it easier n-not to question them. At least, n-not right away."

He gestured for Huron to come back to the table so that they could eat, making a small detour for the bottle opener so that he could open the bottle of wine that was still in his hand.

"I should p-probably warn you," he added, popping the cork, "m-many of Kyrie's t-traveling c-companions are ... unusual. I think I c-can safely say that you've n-n-never s-seen anyone like them b-before."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:12 pm

"Why do I feel like you're not talking about their personalities or clothing?" Hikaru chuckled.

He was going to have to prepare himself then. Even after a few centuries here, Hikaru noticed he still had some Gaian reactions to weird things (such as ignoring the fact he should be in awe and shock). So he was going to have to work around those then, whatever those surprises maybe.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:16 pm

Ahkshi chuckled. "B-because you know that thanks to my m-m-marriage to Kyrie, p-personalities and c-c-clothing don't c-c-count as unusual to me."

He poured each of them some wine and then served the food.

"That b-being s-s-said," he added, "I f-find myself c-curious to see wh-who else they m-might have p-p-picked up since they were last h-here. It s-seems the g-group Kyrie is g-g-guiding has a h-habit of p-picking people up."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:24 pm

"Is that so?" Hikaru's interest piqued at that, "That sounds like a nice change."

Being picked up to go traveling than being on the run, he felt a slightly envious. Granted, he was able to meet so many great people, even if it was as other people.

"Well... I'll keep that in mind, or at least I'll try not to stare too much," Hikaru winked at Ahkshi, "Onto more somber topics, after dinner, should I just grab my stuff and come over?"

Just so they could prepare.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:34 pm

Ahkshi nodded. "Yes. I d-don't know exactly what we will need, b-but we will have to prepare what we c-can."

Still, they had time, which meant that they could enjoy a leisurely dinner and keep catching up on the years that had passed since their last visit together.

They spent the entire next day preparing, but no one showed up. Nor did they show up the day after.

In fact, when they did finally hear from anyone, it was the middle of the night, coming on towards daybreak. Ahkshi's sleep was not deep, due to his worry, so when the knock at the door came, he was awake before the door opened and Kyrie stepped inside. She was alone (at least, so it seemed), but the way she stepped around Huron (whom Ahkshi had given a space on the floor to sleep) showed that she was bonded with Uruloki and could see as clearly in the pitch blackness as during the day.

"Ahkshi," she breathed, throwing her arms around him.

He hugged her back just as tightly. "They're here?" he asked, his stutter vanishing as it always did when there was a medical emergency.

"Same place as last time," she affirmed. "We should wake Huron."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:48 pm

Hikaru had (despite his doubts) gone out the next day after that dinner to get more active charcoal. Thankfully, it was an ingredient that blacksmiths used to get their fires very hot. Though he got weird looks for buying it, as most couldn't imagine why you'd want to ingest the stuff. He also helped Ahkshi to get the ingredients needed to help with pain, fever, and aches. There wasn't much they could do for spasms, and there was some worries of it conflicting with anything these possible patients were already given.

When Hikaru wasn't prepping medicine, he was also boiling and storing water for drinking. One of the downsides of charcoal was that it could make a person dehydrated if not managed properly.

Which was why by the time Kyrie showed up, Hikaru was sleeping like a log on the floor.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:54 pm

Ahkshi hugged Kyrie again before releasing her. "You go," he told her. "We'll be there shortly."

Kyrie leaned in for a kiss and then turned and left as abruptly as she had arrived. Ahkshi wasted no time. He knelt next to Huron on the floor and shook his shoulder firmly.

"Huron," he said, hopefully loudly enough to wake him without startling hi too badly. "Huron, it's time. Come."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Hikaru jerked up for a moment, not quite thinking where he was until he heard Ahkshi said it was time.

"They're here?" Hikaru blinked as he ran his fingers through his hair.

It was probably a mess (it had been for a few days as it was hard to brush his real hair around Ahkshi).

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:04 pm

"Kyrie's been and gone," Ahkshi informed him. "Come on, grab your bag."

He held out one hand, palm upwards, and used a ball of magical fire to light the room just enough for them to see and reached for his bag. He was only half dressed, but it was not the first time, and would not be the last, that he went to a medical emergency not fully dressed.

As ready as he could be, he stood by the door and waited for Huron to join him.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:08 pm

Heaving himself into a full sitting position, Hikaru took a deep breath before getting up from the floor and grabbing his pack. He followed Ahkshi to where they would be treating the patients. He had everything he needed, and did a mental double check as he went with his friend to see about these patients that they would be treating.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:15 pm

It was a quiet walk through the streets, and they met no one on the way. The moon was only at its first quarter, but it was bright, and they could see their way easily using only the moonlight. They moved beyond the town's border, and there, in an open grove surrounded by trees, was a single tent that looked big enough for only one or two people.

"Ignore what you see and just follow me," Ahkshi told Huron crisply, heading straight for it. He pulled the tent flap aside and stepped inside.

Kyrie was in the foyer to meet him. "This way," she said, turning him towards the newest room of the tent. The door was open, so the room was visible from the tent door, and already from there, several people of various races could be seen - and heard. Many of them were lying motionless, but several others were moaning in pain. Some were already vomiting into buckets that some of the travelers were holding in place for them.

Among the travelers helping out were Khetal (of course), Wren, Earendil, Daeron, Rose, Shiro, Kaito, Geran, Mirania and Lamruil, Lancaeriel, Cael, and Makaela. Even with so many people helping out, though, there were far more patients than helpers. Nearly two dozen men, women and children in various states of illness and injury lay on the futons that he been prepared for them.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:24 pm

It was a good thing that Ahkshi had given Huron that order, because otherwise he might have gaped. It also gave his brain an excuse to just file it all away under weird things he would need to talk about later.

The patients helped too, because the moment that Hikaru saw them he was already thinking (and wincing) about what they would need. The vomiting both was a good and bad sign. Good, because their bodies were trying to get rid of what was making them ill, bad because it was going to make them very dehydrated. They would not be able to stomach any water. Even if they could, just giving them water alone wouldn't do any good.

He filed that for later, noting which patients could stomach something to take, and which couldn't.

Among the helpers were also Lin, Eron and Miyuki.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:38 pm

There was no time for introductions, but when Huron needed things, his orders were followed as swiftly and as obediently as if he were as well known to them as Khetal or Cael.

Hours passed, and when some of the helpers grew tired, others stepped in for them while they rested. Night turned into day. Treatments continued. Daenis and Iorlas prepared breakfast for everyone and brought it to those who were working, allowing those who were ready for a break to serve themselves.

It wasn't until nearly noon that things were settled enough for real conversation to take place.

Khetal finished with the last of the patients and made his way over to Ahkshi.

"Ahkshi," he smiled, clasping his hand tightly. "It's good to see you again. Thanks for your help."

Ahkshi smiled and two-handed the shake. "L-likewise," he murmured. "I'm j-just glad I could be of help." He turned to Huron and beckoned for him to come closer. "Let me introd-duce our friend, Huron. A wandering healer. Huron, this is K-Khetal, my b-b-brother-in-law."

Khetal held a hand out to Huron. "Pleasure to meet you," he said. "Thanks for your help. I'm also a physician ... and I've had far more experience with this specific thing than I care to admit. I can't tell you how invaluable your help has been."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:48 pm

Hikaru shook Khetal's hand, though admittedly not as strongly as he would like. He was exhausted, and it reminded him why he never became a hospital doctor.

"I'm just glad I happened into be in town," Hikaru replied, "I just ran into Ahkshi hours before Kyrie even..."

He paused, the Gaian part wanted to say 'call' in but that was only a reference that a Gaian would understand.

"Did whatever that thing was that she did, with the mirror," he finished.

Hoping it sounded as confused as he was.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top