The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revisiting Garnelia - 120 4A

2 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Revisiting Garnelia - 120 4A - Page 11 Empty Re: Revisiting Garnelia - 120 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Daijiro nodded gratefully at Hikaru's words, knowing it was true. The General had destroyed so many lives, and so many more peoples' happiness.

"When Shalandra discovered that she was pregnant," he went on, "she became even more distraught. She struggled to survive, and with no one helping her, it was a miracle that she survived. Yet after Ava was born, things became even more difficult for her. It was clear from a single look at Ava that she was not like the other elves here. By the time Ava was old enough to walk and to talk, they were both very near to starvation. Shalandra was desperate. For her own survival - though she doubted even that - and especially for Ava's survival, she sold Ava to the castle as a servant girl."

He closed his eyes. "Weeks later, she starved to death."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:24 pm

There was a grim silence, everyone there knew what life was often harsh towards those who were not like everyone else. A child of mixed blood (and by extension the family) would have been looked down upon greatly.

It was a miracle no violence occurred in all that time, but Hikaru supposed everyone in the country was so hard pressed themselves, that simply ignoring others in need was the most they were willing to do.

Lin nodded at this, but didn't say a word, there wasn't anything one could say to make it better because it would never take away what had happened.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:29 pm

Kaito, unlike Lin, wasn't the most tactful of people, and he had the curiosity of a cat - the one whose curiosity killed it, too.

"Did you get to see her after she died?" he asked in a soft tone. "I mean, she's not with you now, so-"

"Kaito!" Shiro hissed at his brother through clenched teeth.

But Daijiro just smiled softly. "It's all right. Anyone would wonder. Yes, I did get to speak with her. She offered to stay with me. But I encouraged her to move on. To allow herself the chance of a happier life, in another life. And so she did. I couldn't go with her. I'm not from here. So here I remain."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:49 pm

"That's actually a good point," Lin murmured.

While she didn't appreciate Kaito's ill timed question, it had brought up a set of questions about the fate of Gaians who would die in this world.

"A lot of Gaians do believe in reincarnation as well," Hikaru understood where Lin was coming from, "But in this world, humans who die do not get reincarnated, while elves do because they're connected to the earth itself. Does that mean this world has ghosts of Gaians wandering around?"

It was a rhetorical question, he didn't expect anyone to answer it, but he knew deep down that these two worlds must have been connected for a long time, and not everyone could be as lucky as he, or the others who he had come to know. Daijiro was proof of that.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 pm

"I have seen one other that I know of," Daijiro offered, "but I don't know what became of him."

"Twig would not know the difference," Ava added, stroking her son's hair. "I'm still not sure he believes that we are dead."

Twig's eyes were closed, but he frowned darkly at his mother's comment.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:56 pm

That actually seemed kind of sad to Lin, to be always in limbo because you died in a world not your own.

"And your story?" Hikaru asked softly, "What happened after you became a servant of this place?"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:05 pm

"My story, I'm afraid, is similar to many others'," Ava murmured, her eyes downcast. "I grew up, a servant in the palace, spending most of my time helping in the kitchen. Being kitchen staff meant I was able to eat well enough. The General mostly ignored his staff, though he did enjoy having, as he said, beautiful things around him. One day he saw me and decided that I would become his personal wait staff."

Cael knew firsthand what she was talking about, and he watched her carefully, his heart in his throat. But she seemed almost devoid of emotion, speaking of her experiences, and he didn't know if that frightened him even more than what he knew she had gone through.

Still calm, she went on. "The time came when he decided I would be not only his wait staff, but his personal servant. One night he took me into his bed. It changed me. No longer satisfied with me, he put me back on kitchen duty, and when he learned that I was carrying his child, he had me thrown into the streets."

Cael winced visibly at that, and he wasn't the only one. Dae'er especially had turned very pale.

"Like my mother, I died of starvation," Ava finished simply. "But my son was rejected by all."

It was at this point that she looked around at everyone, and suddenly her eyes were bright, her smile wide. "Until all of you found him." Once again, she bowed low, pressing her forehead to the floor. "I cannot thank you all enough for what you have done for him!"

While many of the group were moved by the dead woman's story and were looking at her with pity, Mari pushed herself to her feet and began to pace, clearly agitated.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:17 pm

"Mari? Are you going to be alright?" Lin asked.

She imagined there was a lot for her to take in, but Lin wasn't quite sure which part of the story bothered Mari the most.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:25 pm

Mari looked at Lin, and her face was troubled. "I must admit, I had thought of perhaps having Twig stay here," she said, her frown seeming contrary to the positive suggestion she had made. "But if he is the General's son, it will not be safe for him - or for me."

Cael knew exactly what she meant. "You think there may be some of the General's supporters left who might try to put Twig in your place," he said quietly.

Mari sat down and sighed, spreading her hands in a helpless gesture. "How can I not?" she questioned in reply. "The General was in power for a long time, and he killed a good many people. There are many people in this very city who had never heard the Ruavia name until I returned to the throne."

She looked again at Twig. "Of mixed blood or not, there may be those who will seek to use him against me."

"Would they not do the same for Prince Caelamondorian?" asked Ava, glancing at the mage.

"Fat lot of good it would do them," Cael said flatly. "Considering I'm the one who killed the General."

At that tidbit of information, Daijiro and Ava both seemed very surprised.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:40 pm

"Nevermind the fact you remember all your past lives?" Miyuki asked rhetorically, "You're like... mentally, really really old, even for an elf. No one is going to make you do what they want. Not that you act it."

She would know by now, the way Cael acted it was sometimes easy to forget he had been around for a very long time, at least in soul.

Hikaru coughed at that statement from Miyuki, trying not to snicker because it was true.

Lin brought the conversation back to the point, "And it doesn't help that it sounds like there are people who had taken advantage or worked the system that the General created. It's not fair to either of you. You should not have to watch your back, and Twig deserves a real childhood, not to be some piece in someone else's power play."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:49 pm

"What does that mean for my grandson?" Daijiro asked, raising his voice slightly. "What will become of him?"

"Peace, Daijiro," Earendil spoke up, holding out one hand to calm the man. "As my wife said, your grandson deserves to have a real childhood. To live somewhere he can have enough to eat and the leisure to play with others his age, without stigma or fear."

"The catch is, it won't be here," Kaito said flatly. He folded his arms across his chest. "It's starting to sound like we might have another one traveling with us."

"To bring him where?" Kyrie asked calmly. She looked around at the others. "Caras Galadhon would be the safest place for him, I admit. But without someone to care for him, his fate would be little different than here. Would any of you take him for your own? To accompany you back to your world? It isn't his world."

"It could be," Daijiro murmured.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:10 pm

"Really, a this point, bringing him back with us to Gaia would be no different than bringing Andarien or Miyuki back," Lin replied, "They haven't seen Gaia since they were very young. Heck, Andarien was originally 'born' if one could put it that way in this world, and I pretty much took Miyuki with me when she was only days old."

In other words, she didn't see any issue with bringing Twig into Gaia, now the question was, was she really thinking about taking him in. A part of her said yes, that was just a knee jerk reaction to that question. She blamed her mother for that reaction, but her mother was the other reason why she wasn't that certain. She wasn't her mother, and Twig was a normal growing child. Oh sure, Andarien and Miyuki turned out fine, but there were days Lin wasn't sure if she had anything to do with that. Besides, she needed to ask Earendil how he felt before reacting on any gut feelings. She looked over to him to see what he was thinking.

For the only other people who could take Twig in, where Lin thought it made sense was Kaito or Shiro.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:17 pm

Earendil caught Lin's glance, and he had a feeling he knew what she was thinking. Still, it wasn't like Amir, who had been too young to know anything before they had found him; or like the vases or other things that the family had adopted children from. Twig was old enough to have thoughts of his own. Would it really be fair of any of them to lay claim to him without giving him any input?

"I think we should ask Twig what he thinks," he said evenly, looking around at the others. He focused his gaze on Twig's mother and grandfather. "And of course, we would honour anything you have to say as well."

"One of the problems is that once Gion and Nadya return home, we won't have direct communication with Daijiro or Ava," Cael pointed out. He eyed Gion. "Would you be willing to teach me the Dreamscape technique?"

Gion nodded. "It shouldn't take long, if you are as magically talented as your wife."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:11 pm

Lin nodded at this, that would only be fair to ask what Twig would want in this case.

"It's a really neat technique," Miyuki agreed, her eyes sparkled a bit as she said this.

Hikaru nodded, "That's good, because open communication will be key... because you know... from what I managed to gather from Shiro, and Eron, it's only been around 30 years in Gaia time since I've been gone, and I've been here for a few centuries. Daijiro-san, I don't know if anyone here has mentioned this, but time flows differently between this world and Gaia. If you've left behind parents or siblings, there's a good chance they will still be living in Gaia. Twig will have relatives, and it's only fair to ask if he wants to wait and see them before talking about final living arrangements."

If Daijiro's family was anything like his and many Eastern families. Blood relations were important, it was Twig's heritage and right to get to know the clan in which his grandfather came from.

"Ah... that's true, I forgot this,"
Lin admitted, "And Daijiro-san, you said you lived on clan grounds, so you have family or at least extended family back in Gaia?"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:30 pm

"I do," Daijiro nodded. "But can ghosts cross worlds?" He shook his head. "If I have been here almost twenty five years, then it could have been as little as one year back home. How could Twig arrive there in the first place? And if he should manage it, how could he explain that he is my grandson, when he is five years old and I have been gone but a year?"

"No decision need be made today, either," his daughter pointed out calmly. "If we we can communicate with each other, the decision can be made when the time is right. From what we have overheard, it seems your group has quite a time of travel before you before returning to my father's world."

She stroked Twig's head gently. "He is so very young. We must be sure that he understands the implications of his decision before he makes it."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:30 pm

"Yes," Lin confirmed, "It'll be a very long time yet, so there is no rush."

Which was good, besides, who knew how many years it would be before they would return to Gaia. So it was just for the best they shelf that idea for now.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:28 pm

Ava smiled and lifted her son's head to speak to him directly. "What do you think, my love?" she asked him softly. "Would you like to travel with these people for a while?"

Twig frowned at her. "You'll be with me, too, right?"

"Yes." She wrapped her arms around him and held him close, rocking him back and forth ever so slightly. "Every step of the way."

He smiled and snuggled into her. "Then yes, I want to go with them. They're nice."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:37 pm

"And we would be happy to have you," Miyuki replied happily.

Lin, who had been writing about their journey commented to Earendil softly, "You know... after all of this, I kind of want to travel around the Four Lands and see if there are signs of any Gaians there, whether in the past or present."

After all, it happened so often here it seems, there must be cases back in the Four Lands.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Earendil nodded half-absently to Lin, though he had heard her words quite clearly. He was lost in his own thoughts, though she had echoed them aloud without realizing it.

"We have met quite a few people in our travels," he murmured. "One would think that if any were Gaian, they might have said something ... as Holly did."

Unless they had simply grown comfortable enough in their new home, which was always possible. As for past Gaians, of course no one in their traveling group had the ability to see ghosts, so it was quite possible - or even probable, since there were, as Lin said, so many here in Arkandia, and Daemon had ended up in the Southland - that there were others who had arrived and passed on. Especially with the Four Lands' past being what it was, a history of violence towards foreign races.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:28 pm

Lin nodded, "But Holly was on a bit of a time line, being immortal and not human to boot would make it dangerous to stay in one place for long. So she had to take a leap of faith, but other Gaians... it does make one wonder.."

After all, the diversity in races among Gaians meant that someone who was human or elf ending up in this world would have been rare. Just the variety they had among themselves was telling.

"But that's a mystery for another time."

Or they would just continue to stumble upon it more, it would be just their luck.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:46 am

"Before we dispel the Dreamscape," Gion spoke up, interrupting the various smaller conversations that had begun, "does anyone have any other questions for Daijiro or Ava?"

He looked around at everyone who was present, waiting for an indication either way. No one spoke up, so Gion terminated the Dreamscape. When everyone opened their eyes again, they were still sitting around the long table in the palace's conference room. Gion and a were brought to a room where they could rest, and those who would help them return home later went to do the same.

Over the course of the next week, there was a slight change about the castle. There was a sense of rising excitement from everyone - Mari, her friends, the servants, the guards, and everyone who came in from the city - though nothing was said aloud about it for a while ... until one morning at breakfast, Mari had an invitation for everyone.

"I don't know how long you were all planning on visiting here," she began, her eyes bright, "but if you stay another week, you'll be here for the anniversary of the retaking of the kingdom. There are plans for a huge celebration in the city, and I would like to invite all of you to accompany me as my personal guests. It would never have happened without you, after all."

Kyrie was taken by surprise. "Next week?" she questioned. "But we're half a year off from when the General was overthrown."

Mari shook her head. "The anniversary of the kingdom being completely retaken and reunited. It took a while after Quileth's death, and that's the more memorable occasion."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:52 pm

"That does make more sense," Miyuki had to agree.

But she looked to the others, specifically Kyrie to see if they would be staying longer. It would be nice to do so, but she wasn't sure if there were other plans.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:23 am

Kyrie's eyes shone brightly as she looked around at her traveling companions. "If no one has a reason to rush back, I would love to stay," she admitted. "I would love to see the city in celebration again after two centuries of destitution."

"I assure you it will be something to see," Mari smiled warmly.

Kaito swished his tail and ruffled his wing feathers lightly. "Gotta admit, I'm always up for a good celebration," he grinned.

"If anyone has any concerns, we could always use a mirror to speak with those back in Makshim," Shiro pointed out. "Or do so first, to find out if they need us back for any reason."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:25 pm

"I would like to stay too, but Shiro is right, we should probably call the others first," Lin agreed with a nod.

But she was interested in seeing this celebration and what it would be like. She couldn't help but wonder if it would be anything like the celebrations that happened on Amon Darthir.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:36 pm

"Well, whoever does the calling," Kyrie smiled, "I'd love to have an opportunity to speak with Ahkshi when they do."

"I can do that for you," Cael offered. He looked around. "Anyone else have someone specific they want to talk to?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next