Newcomers to Oak Glen

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Go down

Re: Newcomers to Oak Glen

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:33 pm

"Huh...." Reed peered over at the corpse, "How odd, poor guy, but what was he doing all the way out here. Looks like he was more interested in nature drawing. I mean..."

He looked up at the trees around them, the oak trees were majestic, as they towered above even the walls of Oak Glen.

"This place is amazing, but with Asim's warning I wouldn't come out here on my own."

As he said this, he noticed out of the corner of his eye as small creature in the grass 40 feet in front of him. It looked like something between a naked mole with a really long nose, and a naked bat. It was a very ugly creature and it peered up at Reed curiously. Then, it screeched and four more popped out of the grass around the area of the first creature. Then without warning they lunged towards the party.

"Guysss!" Reed called out grabbing his rapier.

If they had looked beyond the corpse, and beyond the creatures that were now attacking them, they would small egg like pulsing things on the ground. For the poor man had apparently decided to stop near the rumoured Stirge nest that Asim had figured was in the western part of the forest.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:33 pm

Zoltan reacted, perhaps a little too quickly: he threw a javelin at the nearest of the creatures, but it whooshed past the thing without hitting it and stuck into the ground, quivering at the impact.
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:41 pm

With hand on his rapier, Reed rush forward and realized he wouldn't be able to cover the distance in time before the creatures would attack his friends. He pointed to one creature and shouted.

"You look like a naked mole rat!"

It was such a bizarre sight to see a half elf fling insults at bat like creatures and then seeing one shudder and fall over dead. This however, did not prevent the other four Stirges from taking flight and flying towards the party.

Because Reed was the closest, the a Stirge landed on him and stabbed him with it's beak/nose thing right around his collar where his leathers didn't cover him and began to take long gulps. The rest flew past him towards the others, two of which settled upon Zoltan who had tried to attack them. However, despite the fact he was armoured, they couldn't figure out where they wanted to suck from.

The final one though landed on Aeris and stabbed her arm before it began to suck blood from her greedily.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:14 pm

With a growl, Zoltan whipped out his handaxes and slashed at the two creatures that had settled on him. The first one took a hit to the middle of its body and let out a squeak before it fell to the ground, dead, and the second took an axe to the middle of its head, dead before it could make a sound.

The thing landing on Aeris' arm startled her, and she reacted strongly. She raised her staff and set off a round of magic missiles: the first two she aimed at the creature on her arm, killing it but injuring herself in the process as well. The third, she aimed at the one on Reed's arm, hitting it off him and knocking it into a tree, killing it as well.

Then she fell to one knee. Weakened by her blood loss, and then the blow from her own spell, she was slightly dizzy.

"I'm not feeling so well," she murmured, holding tightly to her staff for balance.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:35 am

Reed barely managed to prevent himself getting hit by Aeris' spell, but it still hit the creature that was on him. Rubbing his chest (despite the fact it was bleeding from there), he considered what had happened. however, upon hearing that Aeris was not well, he quickly went over to her.

She looked pale if that was possible through her scales (or maybe he just thought this), and had probably lost too much blood from the attack. He reached out and touched her arm and began to sing softly in Elvish. As he did so, she began to glow softly until the wound on her arm completely healed.

"Here, better?" he asked.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:42 pm

It was a night and day difference for Aeris. She felt as fresh and new as when they had first left the town.

"Much better, thank you so very much," she smiled widely at Reed. "I feel as if I've just woken this morning."

She checked herself over and was very happy to see that she had no more injuries left. No marks, no sore spots, nothing.

She looked over at Zoltan. He had taken a hit earlier, with the Twig Blights, after all. "Are you all right?"

"Fine te keep goin'," he grunted back with a nod.

Aeris smiled and turned back to Reed. "Then if you're also ready," she nodded, gesturing for them to continue forward.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:53 pm

Before Reed would move though he thumbed behind him. Behind him in the grass it looked like it had been infected with a fungus, but on closer inspection, one could see it was covered in tiny bumps. Eggs that seemed to be flesh coloured and have tiny veins on them.

"Should we maybe do Asim a solid and burn that nest? I know it's not from our request, but it is dangerous and we're here anyways."

Not that he had a fire spell, but he knew that Aeris had one.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Zoltan was annoyed with himself that he hadn't seen the nest there, and he folded his arms across his chest and nodded.

"Aye, we were told that was somethin' else that'd need te be done," he grunted. He looked over at Aeris. "Ye could burn it, easy enough."

"Of course." Aeris stepped forward and repeated the incantation and hand movement of earlier, casting a Bonfire in the middle of the nest.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:03 pm

Stirge nests, despite the problems they caused weren't very big as they weren't big creatures themselves. The 5 foot radius of the bonfire was more than enough to engulf the nest and all the eggs burned, including what little grass was left. There was an unpleasant smell of burning flesh as the eggs burned.

Reed wrinkled his nose at it, nasty stuff that was. It seemed this forest attracted all kinds of things.

"At least we now know how that poor chap went," Reed commented.

Once the nest had been burnt, Reed made the recommendation that it be put before they continued on.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:10 pm

Aeris again used Prestidigitation to put out the fire, and once it was out, they continued.

"Do you think we should report the body to anyone in the town?" she asked the others as they started off. "Perhaps he has family that need to be notified of his passing. Or maybe he belongs to a guild, and they're looking for word of him."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:14 pm

"We can report it to Asim when we get back, and mark it on the map," Reed reached into his compound pouch and pulled out a bit of charcoal used to write on the floor and the like.

He handed it off to Zoltan has he recalled the dwarf was the one with the map.

"Did you find a tag on him?" he asked Zoltan curiously.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:38 pm

"No tag," Zoltan affirmed as he took the charcoal from Reed. He pulled the map out of his bag and marked the spot with the charcoal. "There."

He handed the charcoal back to Reed, folded the map again, and then put the map back into his bag.

"Are we goin' te need any proof that we took care of the stirge nest?" he asked as they kept going.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:41 pm

They hadn't gotten far from the nest, and Zoltan had a good point. Reed nodded as he darted back to grab some of the burnt encrusted eggs. He wrapped them up in a cloth that came from his disguise kit. It was what he normally used to wipe make up off. He would have to clean it well afterwards. Or he could just use prestidigitation.

Once it had the proof and put it into his pack, he went to join the others. It took him a bit, but once he was back he waved cheerily.

"Now we do."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:55 pm

"Good," Zoltan nodded his approval. "I like getting paid."

Aeris frowned. "What do you mean by that?" she asked, confused.

"Simple," Zoltan growled. "Some people don' like payin' out more'n they have te, an' they refuse te' pay anyone without proof that they've done what they said. So, proof."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:00 pm

"And besides that we didn't officially take that request before we left," Reed added, "So there's even more incentive to prove that we had done it."

Besides, not all adventurers were honest, so it was as much of an issue of the people being hired as it was the people doing the hiring.

"It's easier when you're doing a job for the Mage Guild," Reed continued, "Because the effect is right there in front of the client. So no one can't say you didn't do the work."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Aeris nodded. "I have to say, I know I sometimes talk too much and not everyone likes listening to me, but no one has ever, you know, not trusted what I've said, at least not that I know of."

"Thet's because ye're tae innocent te know how te lie effectively," Zoltan chuckled.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:28 pm

"I don't know... that innocence can go the other way too," Reed commented, meaning that Aeris could be quite deceptive if she wanted to be.

The group came up to the western road and then passed it as they cut through as per their patrol route had indicated.

"In seriousness though, there will be people out there who won't trust as easily and shouldn't. You never know what sort of people you'll come across."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:32 pm

"But I am looking forward to finding out," Aeris beamed. "Until I left home, I had never known anyone but Dragonborn, so when I met the two of you, it was already an adventure in itself. And I'm sure there must be other good people out there that we can have fun with, too!"

"Jes' don' be so eager to find 'em that ye trust everyone ye meet," Zoltan warned her.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Reed was silent for a moment, because he had never considered the idea of adventuring fun, even though he could kind of see where she was coming from.

"I really need to introduce you to the Bard Guild, I know you were too tired yesterday, but if you're not today we should go, and we can get a good meal."

He said this, mainly because the head of the Bard Guild would be another person to look out for Aeris, and she might enjoy library, and the people...

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:48 pm

"I would really like that," Aeris nodded eagerly. "I really wanted to go there with you yesterday, but I was just so tired, you know, what with all the traveling and such, and then the excitement of going to the two guilds that I could be a part of, and ... well ... everything."

She took a deep breath and laughed softly.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:17 pm

As they continued on their journey the group saw about 20 feet ahead of the three giant rats. They stared back at the party. It seemed the forest had a habit of enlarging creatures as well. Though not huge (despite their name) they could easily be mistaken for a dog, if they weren't rats. The rats were clustered together in a group and watched the group carefully.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:41 pm

As soon as Aeris saw the rats, she attacked. Even if the rats weren't hostile at the moment, they could attack the group at any moment - and if not, then any group or individual that would come after them.

Again she murmured the words of incantation, and in the middle of the group of three, a bonfire appeared. Two of the rats scrambled out of the way, but the third rat let out a squeal of pain and waddled a few steps before it fell over, dead.

Zoltan was right behind her. He threw his handaxes, one after the other, at the two rats that had escaped the fire. The first one whirled through the air and buried itself deep in the first rat's back. The rat hissed angrily and began to weave, its steps unstable, but it was still moving.

The second axe whooshed past the other rat, burying itself into the ground behind it.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:52 pm

The first rat wanted to get back at Zoltan for the handaxe, however, once it made it up to him, it couldn't lift its head to bite him at all. It's teeth didn't even manage to scrap him.

Reed rushed forward drawing his rapier and stabbing it into the top of the skull of the rat that had managed to dodge two attacks so far. This time the rat was not lucky, it let out a squeal before flopping to the ground dead. Once he was sure it wouldn't move again he withdrew his weapon from it's skull.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:05 pm

Aeris moved over to Zoltan and the last remaining rat, pulling out her two daggers as she did so. She she slashed at the rat with the first one, but misjudged the distance and missed it completely. The second dagger buried itself in the base of the rat's skull. It didn't even have the time to squeal before it fell to the ground, dead.

"I had tha'," Zoltan said after a second. But when he looked at Aeris, his expression was one of respect.

Aeris smiled back at him. "Perhaps next time I'll leave it for you, then," she winked at him.

She looked over at Reed. "You're all right?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:14 pm

"I'm fine, it didn't touch me," Reed assured Aeris.

Though he was still having a bit of minor blood loss from earlier, he was feeling better than before. At least the rates were not too hard to deal with. So they might actually make it through the whole patrol.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum