The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newcomers to Oak Glen

2 posters

Page 7 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

Newcomers to Oak Glen - Page 7 Empty Re: Newcomers to Oak Glen

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:11 pm

"Poor man probably didn't see it, they're small and the small eggs hide pretty easily in a forest setting," Asim replied, "And as unnatural as giant rats and spiders are, it's what happens when there is arcane magic feeding into the environment. I'm going to guess he didn't have a tag?"

Even though Asim was sure it wasn't anyone sent out on a request, it was always good to double check.

Reed shook his head, "Zoltan checked, no tag from any guild."

"Anything to identify him?" Asim grabbed a piece of paper and began to write, he was going to have his men go out themselves to get the body.

This way they could ensure it could be identified properly. He would also have them ask around to see if anyone had noticed anyone missing. With so many people going in and out it might be unlikely.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:14 pm

Zoltan reached into his bag again and pulled out the documents that he had taken from the corpse.

"Foun' these on 'im," he told Asim. "Map wi' markings, bunch er other papers we dinnae really look a'."

He handed them all over to Asim.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Asim look the papers and looked through them while the others watched on. It was quick through the documents as he didn't want to take up people's time too much. From a glance, it looked like just normal letters about the happenings in the town and nothing more. The kind of gossip that was around the town anyways. The map had some writing on it like Zoltan said, and when Asim spread it out everyone could see it.

There were two sentences not part of the map, one was an arrow pointing to the walls questioning how it was possible something made out of wood was still in such good condition, and two, over the lake noting it was just a normal lake.

"Huh... strange, sounds like this person was a traveler, I'll send a question over to Ms. Clover of the Resting Place."

He then looked up at the group.

"And I will let the Adventurer's Guild know you also fulfilled my other request then as well."

As he said this he went over to a large bureau drawer and unlocked the middle drawer. Inside the drawer was divided up into compartments and had labels. He reached into one compartment which had a large pouch and began counting something as he added it to another compartment. Then there were a few clinks, before he pulled one of these compartments (it turns out he had wooden boxes all in that drawer for easy storage) and brought it back to his desk.

"So payment, both of those were 5 gold pieces for each party member for each request. So that is 10 gold pieces to each of you. In addition, one healing potion for each request, for the each of you."

In total, he handed to each party member 10 gold pieces and two healing potions.

"Also," he added holding up a metal flask, "I was originally going to give this to the party who was going to clean out the Stirge for me. It's holds Alchemist Fire, sometimes people who take these requests do not have a mage with them, so it was a way to quickly destroy the nest. Since it would have been originally given to you, I'll just hand it to you and you can decide among yourselves what you'd like to do with it."

He placed the flask down on his desk.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Zoltan picked up the flask and put it into his bag.

"We've more te split up," he said to Reed and Aeris. "Migh' as well add this te the lot."

That made sense to Aeris. They could do that back at the Adventurer's Guild, or somewhere, so that they didn't have to take up all of the Lord Protector's time.

Zoltan looked back at Asim and the other man. "Anethin' else?" he asked.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:33 pm

"Actually yes," Asim then looked to Aeris, "Kevan is looking for you. Something about making sure you had everything you need?"

He wasn't so certain what that was about, but he didn't know mages that well. Certainly he knew how to use magic, but it wasn't his bread and butter like the way some others worked.

"So drop by the Mage's Guild when you can."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Aeris was surprised by the message, but she nodded and smiled. "Thank you, I'll make sure to do that," she assured him.

She glanced at Zoltan and Reed. "Then unless anyone has anything else, I think we're ready to go back."

Zoltan shook his head and looked at Reed.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Reed shook his head, this seemed like a clear cut case.

"I don't think there's anything else, we can get out and grab a bite to eat. Unless you wanted to head to the Mage Guild first?"

He wasn't sure what Aeris wanted to do first.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:37 pm

Aeris looked at Zoltan. "If Zoltan doesn't mind," she smiled at him.

Zoltan shrugged. "Why no'," he said noncommittally. "Probably the on'y time I'll ever have a reason te go see how the mages live."

They bid farewell to Asim and the other man and left the office behind.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:44 pm

As they traveled through the town towards the Mage Guild, the town was as crowded as usual. Though not so much so that one would feel squeezed or too overwhelmed. From the snatches of conversation it sounded like there were goods that had arrived from the West. Though there were complaints that some travelers had to go further up the border to get across because of some Duke or whatnot being too controlling of his borders where most would prefer to cross.

When they finally arrived at the guild, it was relatively full. Though Selene was no where in sight, probably back at her shop since she did own it. Kevan was behind the desk was usual, but he was talking to Risa who was letting Anna play with her hands.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Aeris' eyes lit up when she saw Anna again. The little girl was adorable, and Aeris felt a little bad about having had her ushered away so quickly the last time they'd met. She resolved not to mention anything about adoption or wives or mothers while she was in Anna's presence, and refused to let it ruin her chance now.

"Hello!" she beamed, hurrying over to where the three were together. "Kevan, I got your message! And Risa, we finished our assignment for the day! And Anna! I'm so excited to see you again! Are you having a fun day?"

Zoltan blinked at Aeris, then looked at Reed, arching one eyebrow.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:22 pm

Anna whirled around and looked positively excited upon seeing Aeris.

"Air-is! Air-is!" she spoke up, "Daddy has someting for you and I picked it out!"

The little girl spoke of this proudly like she had done an especially big girl thing. Which as far as she was concerned she had done a very big girl thing.

Reed coughed a bit and mouthed to Zoltan 'daughter' and pointed subtly to Kevan. Kevan looked quite amused at his daughter's antics to say the least.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Aeris was surprised by Anna's announcement, and excited.

"Really? You chose it out for me? Wow! Then I'm sure it will be especially wonderful!" Her eyes gleamed brightly, and she smiled widely at Kevan. "What is it? I was told it was something I would need ..."

Zoltan nodded his understanding, then looked at Aeris again and shook his head slightly.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:58 pm

Kevan chuckled at this, "Forgive me for assuming, especially if I'm wrong, but I do remember what it was like leaving home for the first time."

He reached under the counter and brought out a crystal that could fit comfortably into the palm of a hand without being too small. It was a clear white with a spiderlike pattern fogging up the clarity as if it had been ice instead of crystal.

"I forgot my arcane focus when I first left home," Kevan explained, "And from your excitement I thought that you might have as well. Where you are starting out, you might not need it at the moment, but as you get further on in your studies you will. Unlike like mage classes, we often use an arcane focus instead of components, which I believe your friend Reed does. You have a component pouch?"

He glanced over at Reed, for some reason he had trusted that the man had.

Reed bowed and padded his hip where his pouch was kept, "Absolutely! Can't say I have much though..."

"Indeed," Kevan agreed, "You have some very expensive spells in your skill set."

Turning his attention back onto Aeris, Kevan continued to explain.

"Your focus will cover everything except spells that require a object of a certain cost. Those you will need components for, and if you have any questions just feel free to ask."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:20 pm

Aeris' eyes widened when she saw the crystal that was being offered to her.

"Wow, it's so beautiful!" she breathed, reaching out and stroking it gently with one finger, careful not to scratch it with her thick, long claw. "And it's like ice, like me! Thank you, thank you so very much!"

She took it gently and cupped it in her hands. "It would be perfect to make into a necklace," she murmured, thinking ahead already. "Then I could have my hands free, too!"

She beamed down at Anna. "You made a very special choice, indeed!" she giggled. "I'm amazed at how well you know me, even though you met me just yesterday!"

She knelt down to Anna's eye height and asked her, "Can I give you a hug?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:28 pm

"Yes!" and Anna threw her arms open wide for that hug that Aeris had asked about.

Risa giggled at that as she watched the going-ons, "So cute..."

"I guess maybe after lunch we should drop by the Crafter's Guild then," Reed told Zoltan, "If you don't mind."

Since they were new to town and didn't know where all the artisans were.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Aeris giggled and hugged Anna, giving her a squeeze and swinging her back and forth lightly.

Zoltan nodded at Reed. "Migh' as well. We can a'ways rest later, andit would be good te know the toon we're livin' in."

After all, who knew how long they would still be there?
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:39 pm

Anna laughed at this as she allowed Aeris to swing her back and forth.

"That was fun!" the little girl exclaimed.

Reed looked thoughtful, because they still hadn't eaten yet. He wanted to show Aeris the Bard's Guild, but that guild and the Crafter's Guild were on opposite sides of the town.

"Maybe we can grab something to eat at the... what did they call it now? Wobbly Stool? It's right across from the Crafter's Guild, and then we wouldn't have to go so far..."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Aeris giggled again and put Anna back on the floor. "I think we're going to be very good friends," she confided in the girl with a wink. "At least, I hope we will be."

She straightened up again and tucked her new arcane focus into a pocket of her robe so that it wouldn't be damaged by anything in her bag.

She patted Anna on the head. "I think it's time for us to go eat, though, because we just finished a patrol so we're pretty hungry. I'll be back, though, perhaps this evening and perhaps tomorrow."

Zoltan nodded at Reed. "Makes sense te me," he agreed. "So ef Aeris is ready ..." He looked over at the dragonborn girl.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:55 pm

"Yes please!" Anna nodded, "Then we can play!"

"Hey Aeris, we're going to head over to the Wobbly Stool, and then to the Crafter's Guild," Reed interrupted before they went off on a tangent or something.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:59 pm

"Study and play," Aeris winked at Anna. "I am here to learn, after all."

She looked over at Reed when he called out to her, and nodded at him. "I'll be right there!" she promised.

Then, to Anna, she said, "I have to go now. But thank you again for picking out such a beautiful item for me! I'll be sure to let you know how it works!" She smiled widely. "See you later!"

And with a wave, she headed out with Zoltan and Reed.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:11 pm

The area that the Wobbly Stool and the Crafter's Guild was on, was on the South Road where the group had originally come into town. The overhanging sign was a cute sign with a stool looking like it was about to tip over and off the sign itself. Technically judging by the name, one would think it was a tavern that specialized more in ale than it did in food. However it did look like many people (judging by the occupied tables on the outside of the business), were there for the food as much as the alcohol.

Inside was brightly lit by mage lights suggesting that the tavern had done very well for itself. Among the smell of hops (associated with beer and ale), was also the smell of spices and cooking meat. Some of the cooking was being done at the counter, as there was a stone stove with a large ceramic pot that looked like it would take an orc to lift it. Which was probably true because the person manning counter was a 6 foot something half-orc with gray-ish skin and dark brown hair done up in a bun. He wore no shirt, allowing everyone to see his swirling tattoos along his arm and chest.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:25 pm

Zoltan inhaled deeply as they entered the tavern, and immediately his stomach rumbled.

"I'm lookin' forward te this," he grinned at the others, making his way to a table and sitting down.

Aeris followed after him, careful not to run into anything. "It does smell good in here," she agreed cheerily. "I have to admit, I'm hungrier than I thought I was, though I do find sometimes that that happens when I smell something particularly good."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:33 pm

The others took a seat at the table Zoltan chose, and they didn't have to wait very long. The half-orc left his counter with a small chalkboard. One could see he was wearing a waist apron at least with many pockets in it.

"Hullo," the half-orc greeted them, "I'm Brack, welcome to the Wobbly Stool. Would you like a drink, a meal or both."

He looked between the newcomers, he was use to new people coming in so didn't bother to comment on the fact they were new to his place.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:37 pm

"Just a meal for me," Aeris smiled at Brack.

"Both," Zoltan grunted. "Ale." Very typical for a dwarf, choosing ale over beer. "What food do you have here?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:53 pm

"It changes, I always make two stews to go with rice, something grilled, and two sweet things. On the tenth day there is always a special meal set. If you want take out, there is filled rice patties using whatever is being made today as the filling to go," Brack spoke plainly.

Though he was polite, and seemed like he wanted to be kind, he (like many orcs) weren't the most charismatic people ever. It weirdly sounded like rice was a common staple in his place, which was unusual compared to other places that the group might have been to.

"Today, there is cow stew and sheep stew, the sheep stew is spicy if you like that sort of thing. The grilled food is grilled offals from the cow. If you'd like something sweet later, there are the ginger cookies and melon cake."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum