Newcomers to Oak Glen

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

Re: Newcomers to Oak Glen

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:05 pm

"I'm good," Reed called back.

In the nest, as Aeris had suspected were skeletons, the bones were picked clean and the scratches on them suggested that they were eaten. Some of the bones were even cracked and the inside of the bones were hallowed out. Scattered about the nest were coins from where pouches were ripped, though there was a pouch or two in tact. In total there were 41 gp, 27 sp, 18 ep, and 65 cp. One of the skeletons wore a silver bracelet and another wore a locket with a painted portrait of a lovely lady.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:11 pm

Zoltan didn't bother describing exactly what he saw to the others, instead opting for brevity.

"Coin and skeletons," he called down to them. "Bit o' jew'lry."

He collected it all, putting the coins in one of the undamaged pouches to make it easier to split with the others. Finders keepers, after all - and if the others didn't want it, he would keep it himself.
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:20 pm

"So probably whatever the victims had on them," Reed concluded, "Hopefully now the disappearances will stop."

It seemed like there was only one harpy out here, and seeing as it was only recently reported it probably hadn't been nesting out here long.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:28 pm

"Think mebbe we ought'r look around a bit more?" Zoltan asked as he climbed back down into the cart.

Aeris looked at Reed. "Are harpies solitary hunters?" she asked him, figuring he would know best, as he had given the most information about the creature so far.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:34 pm

"Not normally, but we also shouldn't be seen a solitary nest. I wonder if it may have gotten separated from it's kin, granted after that it gets a bit fuzzy. Most of what I have are tales, and we shouldn't have just met one," Reed scratched the back of his head thinking, "So I guess it safe to say that was the only one out here."

There actually weren't any other places large enough around here to have a nest high up like that one. They had long since left the oak woods so the trees weren't as full as back in Oak Glen. They also didn't seem large enough to support a harpy's nest.

"There weren't any eggs in there right?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:37 pm

"None thet I saw," Zoltan shook his head. "An' before I ferget ..."

He pulled out the pouch he had taken from the nest and counted out some coins for the others: 13 gp, 6 ep, 9 sp and 21 cp each to Aeris and Reed.

Aeris took the coins and tucked them away safely. "Thank you."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:44 pm

"Thanks," Reed replied, "Anything other interesting things?"

Since one never knew what someone might bring up with them, but he wasn't so morbid as to ask if the bodies had anything else on them other than coin.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:48 pm

Zoltan reached into his bag and pulled out the two pieces of jewelry he'd taken from the skeletons.

"Bracelet, locket," he grunted. "Tha's it. Unless someone's go' a better idea, I figger we cou' sell 'em an' split the profit."

"Or we could see if anyone can identify them so that a few families could be notified of their loved ones' fates," Aeris countered.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:57 pm

"I don't know if we would be able to get anything from the bracelet, but we might be able to get something from the locket," Reed admitted.

The bracelet wasn't anything fancy, a single band of silver that would fit a wrist. So finding anything connected to that would be far more difficult.

"Well... I guess unless we think there are more, we should be heading back yes?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:59 pm

"Drivin' horses ain't like settin' in the back of a cart," Zoltan replied, putting the jewelry back into his backpack. "I'd like te rest a bit before we set off again, if ye don' mind. No' long, an hour or so."

Aeris nodded. "That seems doable to me," she agreed. She turned to their bard companion. "Reed?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:12 pm

"Sure, it's not like we're in a hurry to get back," Reed agreed.

And Zoltan knew horses better than any of them, so he would know better.

"Shall we rest on the main road?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:14 pm

Zoltan nodded. "Aye, bu' of te the side, so we're no' blockin' anyone else who mi' be comin' past," he suggested. "No sense in gettin' in an'one else's way."

He sat in the driver's seat again and waited for Reed and Aeris to hop back onto the cart before he directed the horse back to the roadside. There, they sat on the grass to rest.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:25 pm

Reed didn't bother getting out a string instrument as the only person that got hurt was Zoltan and it looked like not that badly too. They were all quite lucky in that regard.

"Well, that was certainly an interesting trip," Reed murmured, "I guess Warren was right at least that it would take us under a week."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:30 pm

"As long as nothing else happens before we get home," Aeris pointed out. "Still, aside from the harpy's music getting us at first, it wasn't as frightening as I thought it would be. I mean, yes, it was a strange and ... admittedly frightening creature, but ... I mean, we came out all right."

Zoltan grunted his agreement, but said nothing.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:47 pm

"I think it helps that there is only one... I think, I'm not sure how that song works," Reed admitted.

He did wonder if it had been a flock (what was a group of harpies called?) if they would have been in trouble then.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:17 pm

After resting, they began the journey back to Oak Glen. After stopping for the night, they traveled all throughout the next day, arriving at the town at dusk. They returned the horse and cart (none the worse for wear) to the guards at the gate, and despite the hour, headed back to the Lord Protector's house to report on their mission.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:02 pm

The group was made to wait in Asim's office as he was in the training yard. The maid had shown them in and offered them some wine while they waited.

It was 30 minutes later before Asim came into the office, wiping sweat off his brow with a towel and tossing it onto an empty chair.

"Sorry for the wait, had to finish up the training session," he told them, "How did the trip go?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:51 pm

"Not quite as expected," Aeris murmured, tired from the trip.

Zoltan actually smiled, a self-satisfied sort of smile. "No bandits," he told Asim, "A harpy, if ye can believe thet. Still, the road ough' te be safe, a' least a' tha' spot. We dinnae fin' anethin' else."

He held out the request sheet.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:58 pm

Asim took it and took a quill making a note on it, "I'll make a request to have that area patrolled by the soldiers at the nearest keep. At least make sure nothing else is there."

That would be the best way to go about it he supposed. Once he made that note to himself, he filed it away where he could find it easily in tomorrow's work pile.

"Now, payment," he murmured, "More than usual since you did have to travel out."

Anytime anyone had to travel out it meant they weren't earning anything during that travel. At least it was under a week. Asim set down three small lidless wooden boxes in front of them so they could grab their prize. It was 10 gp, 45 sp, 50 cp and a healing potion.

"That should cover it."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:48 pm

"Thank ye," Zoltan said, taking his box. He opened it took inside, smiled at what he saw, and put it into his bag.

"Yes, thank you," Aeris agreed, taking her box. She d put it directly into her bag without looking into it. She would look into it the next day, when she had rested. "And I think we've also earned a day off," she added with a smile. "I am rather tired, I have to say."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:52 pm

"Even maybe two if we're interested," Reed added, "It hasn't been that long since we first got here, but it's different traveling with a general direction but no purpose in mind, than to be on a request like that and travel."

Asim gave a small smile at that, "Well, the time is yours again."

"Indeed it is, thank you for the request and hope to see you again," Reed told Asim before the group left.

He looked forward to not sleeping on the ground or in the cart, it was always good to come back to a bed.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:55 pm

After a good night's sleep - a bit longer than usual, truth be told, but a very good night's sleep - and a hearty breakfast paid for with a wooden token, Aeris headed to the Mage Guild. She was looking forward to finally spending some time in the library with the books on magic that she had been anticipating for a long time (at least it felt like a long time), and admittedly, she was looking forward to seeing Anna again, if only for a short time (because she really did want to get to studying, which was her entire purpose in being here).

Upon entering the Mage Guild, she looked around for Kevan. She hadn't yet had a tour of the place, and she wasn't sure what the protocol was for looking at the books - or where they were, for that matter. She hadn't been beyond the first room of the place.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:01 pm

Anna was at her table... with an orc... having tea. The orc, wasn't as tall as Aeris, but certainly taller than most humans. The two were having a tea party, with Anna chatting about her morning while pouring (what was most likely juice) into children sized tea cups. The orc very carefully picked it up between his fingers and took a sip while nodding.

Kevan was behind the desk putting some files away using mage hand to reach the higher shelves. He waved to Aeris when he spotted her.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:04 pm

It looked like Anna was occupied ... pity. Aeris smiled and waved at her when the child was glancing in her direction, but then she made her way over to Kevan rather than interrupt the tea party.

"Good morning," she greeted him cheerfully. "How are you today?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:07 pm

Anna saw and waved excitedly, the orc looked at the direction the little girl was looking at and gave a small wave before turning his attention back to the little girl.

"I'm well thank you," Kevan replied with a nod, "And what brings you here today?"

Since he assumed that Aeris had some business to conduct, he was aware that she was looking to further her education.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next