Newcomers to Oak Glen

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

Re: Newcomers to Oak Glen

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:12 pm

Aeris went straight to the point.

"I'd like to begin looking through the library," she said, probably the most serious that Kevan would have seen her. "But I haven't seen any more of this guild than this room, and I don't know anything about the procedures or anything ..."
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:33 pm

"Ah, of course, come," Kevan motioned her to follow him as he went for the door close to the counter, "The library is through here in the back. The only procedure I have is that I ask that you talk to me first before coming in here. First, because I need to keep track of who uses the library, but also..."

And as he did so the mage lights around the library became lit. The library in terms of floor space was clearly smaller than the guild itself. The library was only about 30 by 60 feet with shelving all along the walls, and a single long table in the middle with several chairs. What was most noticeable was that the shelving went from the ground all the way up to the ceiling which was two stories high. Everything was just packed with books.

"People can find the amount of works overwhelming," he finished, "It is possible to use mage hand to get up there using sorcery."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:57 pm

Aeris stopped dead in her tracks when she saw the sheer quantity of books in the mage library.. She was stunned speechless. Her mouth gaped for a moment, then opened and closed, like a fish trying to breathe out of water, and then, finally, she found her voice back.

"How ... how many books are there?" she asked breathlessly. "I mean ... wow! And how do you know where to find them all? And - wow ..."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:03 pm

"Hmmm..." Kevan had to think about it, rubbing his chin thoughtfully, "I lost count to be honest. I just learned roughly where everything is, and knowing exactly what I'm looking for helps as well."

Since mage hand moved by mental commands, so if he had a good idea of what he was looking for he could generally find it. If he couldn't, well, a location spell of some sort generally solved that problem.

"So, anything specific you're looking for?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:28 pm

It took Aeris another moment to get her thoughts together. She shook her head to clear it.

"Ah ... yes," she murmured. "Yes. Okay. So. Yes. I know it will be a long process, but I want to learn as much as I can about sorcery, to reach my full potential, to become the best that I can be. Like you, the blood of my Dragonborn ancestor is strong in me and my family, and I would like to look into how that affects my magic, and how I can grow in that as well."

She frowned slightly. "Does that make sense?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:42 pm

"Ah..." Kevan was quiet for a bit, a slight furrow of his brow as he thought, "Well, you are young and everything is new..."

He took a few steps deeper in to the library as he thought about her request. Then, he cast mage hand, to grab three books off the shelf for Aeris. Then with an absentminded thought grabbed one more book as well. Once they were in his hands he set them on the long table.

"I think these will get you started," he told her softly, "They are specific to sorcery, the dragonborn blood line and there's a thesis on dragonborn origins in here as well. Among other things. Sorcery, unlike say wizardry is often intuitive, where experience is the best teacher, but there are always things on the arcane that one can expand their knowledge on."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Being given four books at once was overwhelming for Aeris.

"I ... Wow ... it would take me at least a month to go through these, and that's for just a cursory reading!" she exclaimed.

She knew she wouldn't be allowed to take any of the books with her, but she wondered if there would be a way for her to find them herself the next time she came in. And were there specific hours when she would be allowed to be in here?

"How much time can I spend in here?" she asked Kevan, looking at him sidewise.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:50 pm

"Just take it one at a time," Kevan replied, "Besides, you might surprise yourself."

He set the books down on the table.

"If you don't manage to finish them, I will set them aside for you for next time. You'll be able to stay here until dusk, it's probably still not wise to be out in the dark even in a place like Oak Glen."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:58 am

Aeris took the books and sat at the table. She began with a book about the uses of sorcery. It was a fascinating, if challenging, read: she learned that she could use sorcery to augment her spells to do more than what they were capable of doing: but she couldn't quite understand the explanation of what exactly that meant for the individual spells, or how to do it.

It was after all a rather challenging book.

When dusk fell, she returned the books to Kevan and hurried back to the Adventurer's Guild for the night, stopping only briefly to use a token to pick up some food on her way home.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:15 pm

The next day the party parted ways for the day. Reed and Aeris were not yet ready to take on another request, and had other things to do around town. Aeris went back to the Mage Guild for more study at the private library, while Reed went to the public library as he realized he didn't know much about the country they were staying in, none of them being natives. Reed had heard some stories, but hearing stories and knowing the laws and culture of the country were two different things.

The town (it was still weird this place called themselves a town) was still as busy as ever, though there did seem to be an influx of merchants from a large caravan today. Perhaps going to the Merchant Guild to sell their wares at the marketplace.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:25 pm

Zoltan wasn't much for studying, and he had trained all the day before. At breakfast he had recalled the bracelet and locket that he had found in the harpy's nest, however, and he decided to find somewhere to sell them.

He left the Adventurer's Guild and headed towards the Merchant's Guild, figuring it would be the place to start.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:31 pm

The Merchant Guilds were created to be both a place for merchants (and depending on the location locals) to sell their wares, as well as act as a bank. Because of the latter, most places didn't have a Merchants Guild, and smaller places the did were often scaled down. The fact Oak Glen had a full functioning guild spoke a lot about the  amount of business that came through the town.

From the Adventuer's Guild into the center of town, Zoltan was able to see the massive doors that led into the marketplace of the Merchant's Guild. There were merchants who had unloaded their carts and carried their goods into the building. If he walked into those doors, he would find a stall set up with a sign that read "Buyer's Table". It was the stall that the young boy Kali had mentioned when they first arrived.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:40 pm

It was a bit more crowded than Zoltan had remembered it being, and he didn't particularly like it. But who knew where they would be tomorrow? So he adjusted his pouch, making it harder for thieves and pickpockets to get to it, and headed into the marketplace, alert.

He saw the buyer's table almost immediately, and was glad that he didn't have to go any deeper inside. He looked around for the person who was in charge of it.

"'Lo?" he grunted, looking around.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:44 pm

"Oy! Hello again mister!"

A familiar dusky brown skinned boy leaned over the stall's counter, his braids tinkling softly as the clasps clinked together. It looked like he had been reading a very large tome before Zoltan came around.

"I don't think I had received your name last time we met, I'm Kali Chant, we met about...half a tenday ago?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:51 pm

"Near abou'," Zoltan nodded, one hand on his pouch, one resting almost lazily on the handle of a handaxe. "Zoltan. This yer stall? The buyer's table?"

In his opinion, the lad was far too young to be in business for himself, but then, life could be strange, and who knew what the boy's life had been.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:00 pm

"The Merchant's Guild stall," Kali explained, "So technically my father's. We're here when adventurers find it too troublesome to go searching for a particular merchant or shop keep to sell to. One stop sell, we are."

Kali grinned at Zoltan, there was pride in his voice on what he had to say next.

"And if you don't want that, for a fee I can identify what you have. Make sure what you brought back from the field ain't curse or anything like that. Write up a slip of paper for you guaranteeing it's clean. If you sell it to me, I still have to identify by the way, don't want any questionable items coming into the family home. I have siblings, got to look out for them."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:06 pm

Zoltan eyed the boy and grunted, taking in and mulling over what he had said.

"Soooo," he said slowly, drawing out the word, "ef I've go' things te sell ye, I'll 'ave te pay ye te iden'ify 'em, an' if they're worth less tha' what I paid te iden'ify 'em, I don' get back what I paid, an' I cou' still be out more'n wha' I come in wi'."

He paused briefly for effect, caught the boy's eye, and added, "Yeah?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:12 pm

Kali shook his head, "If you sell them to me, I identify them for free, just because I won't buy things that aren't identified. If you sell them to someone else, but want them identified, you pay me a fee."

The boy's smile dropped a bit and he looked serious.

"Same goes if you buy merchant, if you want it identified, you can come to me. You have to understand, I'm not looking at their worth, I'm looking to see if they're magical, and to make sure it's not the dangerous kind. Most merchants around here are pretty good, but every once in a while, you get someone who is stupid, or greedy and buys without checking, or knowing who the artisan is. Lady Selena has told me enough stories about that sort of thing."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:15 pm

A smile lit Zoltan's ruddy face, brightening it considerably. "Ah, I see!" he beamed. "Well, i' tha' case ..."

He opened his pouch and pulled out only the silver bracelet. One thing at a time. If this went well, then he would bring out the locket.

"We foun' this ou' on a mission," he said, holding the delicate creation in one calloused hand. "Lookin' tae sell."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:19 pm

Kali pushed with his foot a wooden box that he used as make shift stool. He sat cross legged on it, getting as close to the table as possible.

"If you have anything else, just set it on the table, this spell takes ten minutes to cast. Well.. it doesn't, but as a ritual, it doesn't take as much energy, so I can cast it more often than I can if i just used it normally. Also I can do several pieces at once as a ritual."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:27 pm

Ten minutes to cast?

... he set the bracelet on the table, then reached into his pouch once more and pulled out the locket with the portrait inside it.

"Tha's it," he grunted, taking a half-step back to give the boy room and then crossing his burly arms to wait. He wasn't going to go anywhere - he had seen too many con artists in his time, people who would switch out the goods while the customer wasn't looking and replacing them with lower-quality items.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:33 pm

Kali reached into a pouch at his side and pulled out an owl's feather with one hand, and reached under his shirt with his other hand. On a silver chain was a single drop pearl of milky white and clearly of high quality. He then closed his eyes and began to chant softly. At the end of his ten minutes he brushed the feather over each object and the pearl began to glow.

"They're clean, not a drop of magic," Kali finally said as he put his feather back and slipped the pearl back under his shirt, "They are what they appear to be, pieces of jewelry. So, would you like to bargain here with me?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:52 pm

"Aye, I would," Zoltan nodded. "I've go' some numbers in mind. Suppose we begin wi' you tellin' me wha' numbers ye have in mind, an' we can go from there."

He watched the boy and waited.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:56 pm

Kali checked the locket, and wasn't surprised to see a picture in there before setting it back down. He looked back to Zoltan and hummed a bit.

"5 gold pieces for the bracelet and.. 12 gold pieces for the locket."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:01 pm

Zoltan smiled inwardly. Oh, this boy was well trained.

"Don' waste my time, lad," he said aloud. "I'm a dwarf. I know metal an' I know metal work. An' these 'ere pieces are worth far more'n that. Try again."

He narrowed one eye ever so slightly, making him look more serious.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum