Newcomers to Oak Glen

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

Re: Newcomers to Oak Glen

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:45 pm

Selene laughed softly at that, "Well that sparkle in your eyes for one, but also I know just about every person in town. My memory is one of the few things that hasn't left me yet."

Though she supposed it was only a matter of time, but that was something else completely.

"Come sit," Selene motioned to the couch on the other side of the table, "I'm Selene, the owner of Trinkets and Baubles, the magic shop right across from this guild. If you ever need of components, or some other thing, feel free to come by."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:22 pm

"Thank you!" Aeris beamed, carefully tucking her tail to the side as she sat on the couch across from Selene. "It's so nice to meet you, Selene. My name is Aeris Frosthorn. I've come to Oak Glen to learn more about magic. We actually just came from the Adventurer's guild, we registered there, too, so I'm hoping to learn about magic here while we're in the city, and then of course to work because that's a good way to learn about magic, too, and to get experience and get stronger and all that ..."

She took a deep breath and let it out again, trying to catch up with her words.

"And we were supposed to ask you about Pax, a paladin," she added, almost sheepishly, as an afterthought.
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:33 pm

"Pax? Are you going on a quest with him?" Selene asked with a raised eye brow.

Reed laughed at that and shook his head, "No, it's just Aeris has a room next to his and she's several rooms away from mine and Zoltan, and Zoltan was a bit.. nervous. By the way, I'm Reed."

"About Pax?" Selena asked in disbelief and a more than a bit of amusement, she covered her mouth as her body shook in laughter, "Why ever for?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:36 pm

"I really don't know," Aeris admitted, and for the first time her smile faltered as it was replaced with an expression of true confusion. "At first, Risa was going to put me in the same room as Pax, I think, but then Zoltan - he's the third member of our group, he's a bit gruff but once you get used to that he's really nice - anyways, he really wasn't happy with that, so then Risa said to ask you about him, but then she put me in a different room, anyways."

She turned to Reed. "And I still don't see what the problem would have been. By all accounts, this Pax fellow seems fine enough. Everyone we've spoken with only has good things to say about him."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:46 pm

Selene's lips were pressed into a tight line as she kept herself from laughing at that common. She then took a deep breath and replied, "I think you and Pax will get along just fine dear. In fact I think you two shall have some things in common."

She looked utterly amused at the whole situation.

While they were talking another person had been listening in on them. Both Reed and Aeris were completely unaware until small human fingers grabbed the side of the couch. A little girl of no more than five years with wavey white hair kept in check by braids and ribbons heaved herself over the couch arm and then tumbled head over heel onto Aeris' lap. For a moment all one could was the fluff of her fancy dress until the girl righted herself up and sat square on Aeris' lap.

"Anna!" Kevan called over the counter, "Don't bother the guild members!"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:53 pm

Aeris was taken by surprise by the sudden appearance of the small human girl in her lap, but she recovered very quickly.

"Oh, you're so cute!" she squee'ed. "Where did you come from? Are you a little mage, too? Learning about magic?"

What else would anyone be doing in the Mage Guild, after all?

She didn't even hear Kevan chastising the child, but even if she had, she wouldn't have paid it any mind. She was quite social, after all.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:03 am

"Yup!" Anna popped the p on her response, "I'm going to do magic like daddy!"

She announced this to the group. Reed, who knew that mages didn't come that young leaned over and asked Selene.

"So... her father is a guild member?"

Selene grinned and pointed to Kevan who was looking a bit embarrassed but did nothing to stop Anna since it seemed Reed and Aeris didn't mind at all. Like this was a normal act to charm everyone who came into the guild.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:27 am

Aeris looked at the little girl in her lap, looked at Kevan, and then looked back at the little girl.

He was a white dragonborn, like Aeris herself was. The little girl was human.

She looked at Selene. "So ... I'm guessing Kevan's wife is human?" she guessed, without thinking whether it was a socially appropriate question to ask. "Or is she adopted?"

Only once the words had passed her lips did she realize that what she had said might not have been very tactful.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" she exclaimed. "I know, it's really none of my business, and if it's something that I really don't need to know, just tell me so. I'm really quite terrible for speaking before thinking about what I'm going to say, I'm so sorry, it's something I've always done, and back home my family would try to stop me, but of course they're not here with me ..."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:47 am

"What's a-doped mean?"

The little girl looked up at Aeris with wide eyes as if expecting the answer of the universe to come from the adult. Reed had a moment of panic because if the child was adopted then he didn't want him or Aeris to explain that to a child.

"Uh..." he trailed off trying to think.

He was saved by Anna being lifted off Aeris lap by Kevan who almost seemed to have a teleported over to where they were. He didn't seem angry but his scales bristled with anxiety.

"Sorry about that," Kevan apologized before hurrying away, "Anna, sweetie, come help daddy with some scrolls."

When the two disappeared into the back, Selena just shook her head in exasperation, more at Kevan than anything else.

"It's fine," the old woman replied, "But it might be best not to mention it again in the future, at least wait until she's a bit older."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:13 pm

Aeris' face was burning with embarrassment, though her scales did not change colour.

"I'm so very, very sorry," she said in a quieter tone now. "I had no idea - I mean, I never know, I just - my mouth keeps going and I don't know what I'm saying sometimes - and sometimes I just don't think - I'm so, so sorry ..."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:22 pm

Selene waved Aeris off, not because she didn't want to hear excuses but because she was old and knew youth well enough. And knew other races well.

"It is fine, I doubt Kevan is even angry, it's just a touchy topic at the moment," she then added with a bit of exasperation, "Even though she'll grow quickly and ask anyways. Just because she's human doesn't mean she won't grow quickly, as all human children do. Though, not as much as Dragonborn admittedly, I am to take a guess you only just reached adulthood?"

The old wizard chuckled at this a bit.

"I always found it strange that the Dragonborn, aged quickly and have the same lifespan as a human while dragons age much slower and can will only hit their prime after their first thousand year or two. Granted, the dragon's legacy is far more complicated than that and far more ancient."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 pm

"Well, the Dragonborn's dragon ancestry is far removed from us," Aeris recited as if from a textbook. "But yes, my reaching adulthood is the reason my family allowed me to come and study magic so far from home. It was my adulthood ritual request."

She took a closer look at Selene. "But you, you said you're retired ... I suppose you've been studying and using magic for a very long time, yes? And you will be the one who contacts us when people would like us to perform a spell for them?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:08 pm

"Yes, call it my retirement job," Selene explained, "When I tell people I'm retired, really, what I'm telling people is, I am far too old to be romping around defeating various creatures, and people with delusions of grandeur."

Reed snorted at that, because she looked as sharp as a tack, but he couldn't imagine there were that many people of that kind of villainy.

"You laugh young man, but I'll have you know, the more magic there is around anywhere, the more likely trouble will follow. All those tales bards tell always have a grain of truth to them and sometimes those grains are the size of chicken eggs, and if you're very unlucky the size of a roc egg."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:10 pm

"I've never seen a roc egg," Aeris observed, taking entirely the wrong thing out of Selene's warning. "For that matter, I've never seen a roc. I've heard of them, though. They're quite large, I think, so I suppose their eggs would be quite large as well, wouldn't they? Well, they must be, if you're using them as a comparison to chicken eggs."

Still, she wouldn't question the fact that there were villains out there. After all, if there weren't, then there wouldn't be half the evil in the world that there was.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Reed shoved his fist into his mouth to keep from laughing his ass off, because it was hilarious. Even though he knew that wasn't what Selene meant at all.

"I wonder if Kevan was ever this young..." Selene murmured with a twitch of her lips

She coughed a bit and forced her emotions under control.

"But yes, roc eggs are big," she added, "Now, I'm sure you both have many errands to still do..."

"Well, I need to drop by the Bard's Guild," Reed admitted, "Aeris, will you be coming as well?"

Since she didn't need to come.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:19 pm

Aeris considered Reed's question. She wanted to see the guild, as she wanted to see just about everything in the city; but she was tired, and she knew that there would be other opportunities to see the guild and what was in it.

"I think I'll go back to my room and rest, actually," she decided. "Thank you for the invitation, though."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 pm

The next day, after the group was well rested and had broken their fast at an eating place around town, they agreed to go back to the Adventurer's Guild to see if there were any requests. Risa, who had been there that morning to greet them with a cheery smile and a wave, was no longer behind the counter. Instead it was an unusually tall human who was built like a football player. He had a full beard of redish-brown hair, and only enough hair on his head for a really short ponytail. He wore an undyed shirt and brown traveling pants.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:47 pm

Zoltan was in much better spirits after a good night's sleep and a hearty meal, and he was even being a bit less harsh with Aeris - though to be fair, she wasn't giving him as much reason to be paranoid today. So far.

This time when he approached the counter, he didn't hesitate to step up on the stool so that he could see over the top.

"Good day to ye," he greeted the man behind the counter. "We three are lookin' fer work. How do we go aboot checking fer work here? Is there a board te check or do we ask here?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:52 pm

"Ask here," the man replied, "Tis safer that way, but you look like you've been around a few skirmishes yourself. I'm Warren, the guild master here. And you are?"

Before he could get an answer Risa appeared from the training grounds in the back. Seeing her father and the group from yesterday, she put something away on the other side of the door leading to the training ground before stepping in fully.

"Mr. Zoltan! Good morning!" she waved happily, "Father, these are the new adventurers I spoke about yesterday, remember?"

"Hey," Reed waved, "All good things I hope."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:04 pm

"No mister, jes' Zoltan," the battle-hardened dwarf grunted at Risa, though he was smiling beneath his long mustache. "An' I hope we weren' teh much trooble fer ye, lass."

Aeris stood next to Reed and Zoltan and smiled widely at Risa and her father. "My name is Aeris Frosthorn," she introduced herself to the large human. "It's a pleasure to meet you. Your daughter is very helpful, she did such a wonderful job in getting us some rooms yesterday and answering our questions."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:14 pm

Warren smiled, "Good to hear. Risa tells me you're new adventurers to these parts."

He rummaged under the counter and pulled out a large book. It was a strange hallow looking book with a leather covering. It had metal rings inside and paper that had holes cut into them. Reed leaned forward to get a better look as the guild master opened it.

"Gnomish work," Warren explained, "Griffing's specifically, made this for the guild. Useful for requests."

He flipped through the pages, studying them before moving on.

"Asim has put in a few requests," Warren finally spoke up, "He always asks for people to help patrol the oak forest, it frees up his men, and apparently there is a Stirge nest in the western part of the forest."

He looked up at the group, thoughtfully.

"You can take one, or take both," he told them, "Depending on how experienced it's unlikely you'll make a full lap around the town, and if you don't, don't worry about it, but any bit of patrolling helps. What say you?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:22 pm

Zoltan glanced over at Aeris, and a flicker of doubt registered on his face very briefly before it was gone again.

"Le's star' with the patrollin', maybe," he started to say; but Aeris spoke up at almost the same time, a bit louder than him, and definitely more excitedly, "How about both?"

She looked from Zoltan to Reed expectantly.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:31 pm

"Well... maybe we should just patrol first?" Reed suggested.

He wasn't sure about taking on both neither for different reasons.

"It'll give us a chance to, take in the sights outside," he added, "If there is still a nest we can take it later."

Warren looked between the three thoughtfully before snapping the clasps open and taking out the page, "It's pretty much standard for new adventurers. Talk with Asim, he's the Lord Protector, the building right across from us. Even if the nest has already been burned, there will probably be something else the next day anyways."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:44 pm

Aeris reached for the paper, but Zoltan was both closer and faster.

"Thank ye," he said, glancing over the sheet before folding it carefully and tucking it into his bag.

Aeris hardly seemed to notice Zoltan's eagerness to take the paper before her, and instead of trying to get it away from him or look at it, she simply beamed at Warren.

"Yes, thank you very much," she said warmly. "You really are very helpful people, both of you. It's so nice, I know not everyone will be, and Zoltan keeps warning me that not everyone is kind, but you have been very kind to us."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:50 pm

"You won't find many bad folk around Oak Glen," Warren told her, "But it's true to be careful, never know who you'll meet."

He nodded as if to agree with Zoltan, even as Risa sort of rolled her eyes when her father wasn't looking.

"Good luck," Risa chirped.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum