To the 'Town' on the Hill

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Re: To the 'Town' on the Hill

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:05 am

"Hmmm..." Wisp hummed thoughtfully, I suppose... the village is well protected against bandits and the like, you'd have to be pretty foolish to attack it, but if you're talking about the political problems. Well, that's out of my depth, not just in politics but in war. I know nothing about the reasoning that might cause a country to invade in one spot over another, but at the same time I know nothing about the politics that might make someone do something like that."

"And right now, it's just some difficulties on the other side of the border," Allen explained to Aeris, "It's not an issue of creatures, or bandits or anything like that. It's purely political at this time and way over our heads and the heads of small villages like this one."

"Well... not over your head," Wisp replied, "But over your pay grade."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:06 pm

"Ah," Aeris nodded. "I see. That's actually quite a relief to know - though I admit, I am still a little nervous about crossing the border and going into a place like that. Any idea what we might expect once we arrive there?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:35 pm

"You mean once your cross the border or once you get to the village?" Wisp inquired, "Both have things that might be useful to know. Granted this close to the border, the places really aren't that different. A lot of things sort of bleed over into each other, so it's not like you're stepping into a new world or anything."

The halfling grinned like she had made a grand joke about stepping into places.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:37 pm

"Well, yes," Aeris admitted, "having information about both places would be very helpful. So whatever you could tell us would be greatly appreciated."

Zoltan, recalling that Allan came here from time to time, looked to him, wondering how much he knew of the village and the place they were going as well. Of course, more information was better, so he was quite willing to listen to Wisp as well.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:41 pm

Wisp motioned to the forest, "Well, before I tell you about the village, since you're heading that way, I might as well start by giving you my speel about the Mirror Forest."

"Your speel?" Reed asked with a bit of bemusement, "You tell people often?"

"It's my job, of sorts, like not a job, job, but it's part of my duties," Wisp explained, "Tell me, are you all familiar with the Fey Wilds? And Allen doesn't count because he should know by now."

There was a bit of exasperation in her voice when she spoke of how Allen should know.

"I promise I won't be doing any wandering, we're being expected," Allen assured Wisp.

"A bit..." Reed admitted, "There have always been tales of the Fey Wilds."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:45 pm

"I've heard tell o' the Fey Wilds," Zoltan spoke up with a serious nod, "bu' I've nae come inteh contac' wi' 'em before."

Aeris tipped her head slightly to one side. "I've heard the name, but little else," she confessed.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:58 pm

"The Fey Wilds is plane of existence that exists on top of our own. It is, most of the time, a mirror image of our world. That is certain landmarks, locations are exactly the same, even if the nature of that location or landmark is not," Wisp explained, "In the Fey Wilds, it is where the fey live, home of the Summer and Winter courts, it is also where other magical creatures can live. Elves, are said to have some origins in the Fey Wilds."

Not that most ever paid attention to that these days, Elven kingdoms and people had been written in the history of many places since probably written history started, very few people were aware that elves could have origins from a different plane of existence.

"The reason why I'm telling you this, is because the barrier between the Material plane, our plane and the Fey Wilds is thin. Most of the time, it's fine, you may find some interesting creatures and most of the time they're pretty harmless.. minus the occasional elemental and the like. What is important to note, is if you travel through that woods, don't go off the paths, don't go into the circle of stones near the entrance, and if you suddenly find yourself in a place that looks... brighter, despite being in twilight, turn around and head back the way you came until everything looks normal again. Once it looks normal, you can continue forward again and it shouldn't happen again."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Aeris blinked in surprise. "You're saying we could end up in the Fey Wilds without realizing it?" she asked. "And what if we were to end up in there somehow, how would we get back here?"

That was a frightening thought to her, to somehow unexpectedly end up in another plane of existence!
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:05 pm

"Like I said, if you find yourself there just turn straight back around and you'll come right on back. Those tears seem to be polite enough to wait until the person goes back the way they came before disappearing. If you're not sure, just let him drive."

Wisp pointed to Allen who grinned back, he didn't seem at all worried but he had traveled through the forest many times before.

"He knows how to get back."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:08 pm

Aeris looked at Allen.

"You've been there and back, then?" she asked him. "And you've never gotten stuck there? I mean, clearly you've never gotten stuck there, because you're back, but even for a little bit?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Allen shook his head, "Never, the tears really do stay where they are until you leave, and once they take in a group of travelers, another group cannot follow, but you can still return. It's weird, and doesn't make sense, but very little about the Fey Wilds tend to make sense. It's all the magic on that plane I suppose."

"The only problem really comes if you don't head straight back, because the further you go the less likely you'll remember how to get back," Wisp explained, "That's why I tell people to head straight back."

"Well, I guess that part makes sense at least," Reed murmured, "And you've wandered the place?"

"Yee.... yes," Allen admitted, "I took a lot of precautions and told my brother I wouldn't be around for three months. It's not something to do unless you plan for it."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:22 pm

"And I presume then that you wrote down where you would have to go to come back home again," Aeris mused, "so that if you forgot, you wouldn't be trapped there?"

She had to admit, it sounded tempting to go there herself someday - it sounded like there was plenty of magic there, and where there was magic, there was learning to be had.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:29 pm

Allen nodded, "And I have the advantage of Sugar."

He pointed to the patchy cream and light brown horse with a cream mane that was hitched to the cart.

"Sugar is my horse, and as a beast master we have this bond of sorts. So she guards the area where we would enter from. I don't really stay long, despite Wisp's exasperation, you really shouldn't, cause it makes coming back a bit stranger."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:31 pm

"Stranger?" Aeris couldn't help her curiosity. "What do you mean by that?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:36 pm

"If you really want to travel through the Fey Wilds," Wisp explained, "It's best you get a guide."

Allen pointed to Wisp as she said this and Wisp gave him a look but then she rolled her eyes and grinned at the half elf.

"There is always a chance that if you stay a day or longer, you might not exit out of the Fey Wilds exactly at the right time you entered. Time holds very little meaning on that plane, it only holds enough meaning so the rules of arcane magic doesn't fall apart. Otherwise you could come back exactly at the same time you left, or hours later, or days later, if you're very unlucky years later. So finding someone who can navigate you back through that tear without causing a time jump if you want to stay there longer than a day is a better idea."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:45 pm

Aeris nodded. "I think I'll keep that in mind," she smiled. "It sounds like it would be quite the experience. But as Allen said, we're on a schedule at the moment, so it would have to be another time."

It was a pity.

"Do you live here to warn people about the forest, then?" she asked Wisp.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:52 pm

"I also act as a mediator between the fey and the locals living in Fox Grove," Wisp explains, "I'm a druid you see, and I have a connection to the Fey Wilds. On occasion I do act as a guide, though not particularly often."

Which would make sense, not many people would want to visit a place like the Fey Wilds.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Aeris smiled widely at Wisp. "Then perhaps someday, I might ask you to guide me," she murmured. "But I shouldn't be holding us up."

She looked over at Allan. "Are we going to stay here for a bit? Or are we going to continue forward?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Allen looked to the sky, carefully noting where the sun was, and since they were in the beginning of summer the days were starting to get uncomfortably warm.

"Let's give the horses a rest, if you don't mind us camped out in your front yard?" Allen asked Wisp.

"I don't mind at all, in fact I'll go get some finger food, how about that?" Wisp replied in turn.

"That would be great," Reed smiled and gave a small nod to Wisp, "Thank you for your generosity."

"You're welcome lad, besides, food is always better with company."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:35 pm

"An' be'er when i's been prepared properly an' no' on the road," Zoltan murmured, his face softening slightly.

"I know I'm hungry," Aeris agreed.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:51 pm

After the lunch was over, Wisp sent them on their way with a basket of fiddlehead ferns, onions, potatoes, mushrooms and jerked rabbit meat, along with instructions on how to cook it for a stew later on. So at least later that night they would have something good to it.

It was because of this lovely gift that the next day they were traveling in good spirits through the forest. The forest, while more crowded than Oak Glen (due to the smaller trees) didn't make them feel like they were caged in, and the shade felt good as the summer weather was starting to set in full force.

Reed was sitting in the cart with the others, strumming his lute, and Risa was on outlook duty beside Allen, which allowed him to keep his eyes on the road.

"So, three days more of travel before we reach this village?" the bard asked.

"That's right, it's not really that long of a trip through the forest," Allen explained, "And, for at least one night, we can sleep in a bed. Unfortunately we can't stay there long, maybe on the way back."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Aeris was sitting at the very back of the cart, watching out the back as they passed through the trees.

"And once we pass through the village, how much further to the border, and then to the location we're to check out?" she asked, halfway thinking about her question, and halfway thinking about how beautiful the trees were.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:14 pm

Allen had to think about it, and it was quiet for a moment or two.

"It is only a day to the border," he finally replied, "After that it is nine days to the Glimmer Quarry where our request is located. Actually, technically our request is outside the town up on a large hill that has quite a bit of flat land on top. But I figured we might want to stay in an inn a night before taking on the request."

"Before the long haul?" Risa asked her teacher.

There was a chuckle at that as Allen nodded at this.

"Before the long haul, it might take us two or three days to get through the town. It might take us shorter to find what we're looking for, but remember our pay is from whatever we find in that place, so it's to our advantage to search it completely."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:16 pm

"Then I don' mind if we stay there for as long as it takes," Zoltan grinned.

Aeris smiled at that. It was rare to see Zoltan do anything but scowl.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:26 pm

The cart continued to travel the forest road, off of the side of the road on the left was a large flat rock. Some of the tree branches looked like they had been culled to allow some sun through, and on that rock slept a dragon like creature. It wasn't very big when one thought of dragons,, but it was as big as a very large dog. If it weren't for the sunlight it could have been missed, as it's body was made of wisps of blue and silver magic. It barely looked solid at all, in fact more like it had been made out of spun sugar, but it was alive and real, judging by the breathing.

Allen continued to drive the cart on, not paying the creature any mind.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum