To the 'Town' on the Hill

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Re: To the 'Town' on the Hill

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:36 am

For the foxes that were in a cage on top of a cage, Risa helped them down to the ground. She checked them over, but unlike Allen wasn't sure what she was checking for. The foxes yipped, happy to be out of their confinement.

"I wonder why they were poaching these creatures..." Risa murmured.

Though they were awfully cute, though she was sure that was not why the foxes were being captured.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:55 am

"I don' know," Zoltan replied flatly. "I don' know anethin' abou' these things. Bu' if I had te guess, I'd say they're rare, they're probably magic o' some kind, an' I'd wager some'd fin' 'em cute enough te keep as pets."

He looked down at them. "I wonder where they come from," he murmured with a frown. "If we let 'em loose an' leave 'em, hope they'll be okay ..."
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:08 pm

"Allen might know?" Risa suggested, "Since he realized first what they were."

And it wasn't just because he was perceptive she was sure, you'd have to know such creatures existed. She had wondered if they should pick them up, but there were six of them and that would be an armful. However it did look like the foxes weren't leaving them any time soon. They were quite friendly.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:52 pm

"Migh' as well ask him," Zoltan agreed.

He turned to leave, then looked around. "I wonder if there's anethin' else in here worth lookin' a'," he mused to himself. "Go ahead, Risa, I'll catch up."

He searched the rest of the tower to see what else he could find. There wasn't much at all, the remains of a camp and campfire that gave the impression they had been here a while, some meat that looked like it probably (hopefully) came from an animal, and a letter that he couldn't read. He took the letter and left the rest, wondering if maybe someone else in the group might be able to read it.

Then he headed out to join the others.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:54 pm

"Oh, you found more?" Allen asked as he watched Risa come back out of the ruin with a trail of foxes after her.

It made for a cute scene, pity he was no artist.

Risa nodded, "They were all stuck in cages, Zoltan is seeing if there is anything else back there."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Zoltan was only a few steps behind Risa, since she had the flower foxes with her.

"Naugh' bu' a le'er," he announced, holding it in the air as he left the tower. "I don' know wha' language i's in, bu' I canna read i', so if aneone else wants te take a look a' i', they're welcome."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Reed went over and took the letter from Zoltan and checked it over. It wasn't any language he recognized, but if he were to guess it was probably goblin.

"I think it's Goblin..." Reed trailed off handing it to over to Allen who looked it over.

Allen shook his head, "I have no idea what this says."

And likely it wasn't in any language Risa knew neither.

"It could be they were writing to someone, best to warn the village there by might goblins or creatures similar to goblins roaming the forest."

They were too far now to go back and tell Wisp.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Zoltan nodded. "Somethin' te remember," he agreed. "Anethin' left te do here? Or are we off?"

Aeris had come over to look at the letter as well, but she couldn't read it, either. "If there are goblins and the like in the area," she said, a little nervously, "we should probably get back to the horses and make sure everything is still there."

Who knew what had happened while they had been gone?
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:24 pm

"Don't worry, I'm sure the stuff is safe," Allen assured Aeris, "But we should be heading back. Don't worry about these guys, they know the forest well and technically are fey. So they'll go back where they want to live."

Which meant that the foxes didn't necessarily want to live in the Fey Wilds, but they might be just living in the forest itself. The ranger motioned for the others to head back the path they came through.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Zoltan nodded and started back along the path immediately, tucking the letter into his pocket as he did so. Aeris made sure she had all of her things before following after him.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:07 pm

The group made it back to the cart and as Allen said everything was where they left it. The flower foxes follow the group up the path as well, and once they were back on the main road end up dispersing off the road and back into the forest itself. Their leafy fur making it hard to see them as they traveled further away.

Lifting himself back into the cart, Allen asked, "Back in, which should be there in a few days yet."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Aeris and Zoltan climbed in and sat down in their usual seats, making themselves as comfortable as they could.

"A' least we got a bi' o' exercise," Zoltan murmured appreciatively as he settled in. "I tell ye, by the time we get there, I'm goin' te be a pretzel."

"You'll be fine," Aeris laughed softly at the dwarf. "We'll have our share of excitement soon enough."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:47 pm

"Well the village is just a few more days," Allen commented, "So we can stretch there, at least for a bit, and stay the night before having to go again."

He lightly urged the horses to continue on and the cart began to move again.

"I take it you normally marched everywhere?" Reed asked remembering that Zoltan had been in an army of some sort.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:57 pm

"We used our legs, or horses, or carts, whatever we needed," Zoltan replied, not offering up any further information as he settled into his corner again.

Aeris looked at Zoltan, a little bit sad. If he would open up to people, she thought, he might not always be as bored as he seemed. But despite his seeming worry about her, he still didn't seem to care about people in general.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:18 pm

Reed, opened his mouth, closed it and then shook his head. He wasn't even going to point out how Zoltan just shut down that line of conversation. Even though he understood (sort of) he found it very frustrating.

As promised by Allen, they reached the edge of the forest in three days. As they were nearing the exit they would notice at the side of the road small stone cottage like homes with no doors. They weren't very big, large enough to perhaps fit two cat sized animals. Someone had even created a platform behind the first set of homes to raise up a second pair of these tiny cottages. These things had clearly been here for a while as moss and plants were growing on the stone structures.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Aeris stared at the strange little houses (for lack of a better word to call them). They were unlike anything she had seen before.

"What are they?" she murmured, half to herself. "What would have lived in there?"

And what had happened to whatever had lived in there? They didn't look as though they were currently being lived in ...

"Allen, should we stop and check this out?" she called ahead to their driver. "Or do you know anything about these little house-things?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:30 pm

As she asked this the head out of a flower fox popped out of one of the stone houses, blinked at Aeris and then ducked back inside.

Allen chuckled at the timing of that question, "Does that answer it? They are homes for the flower foxes that live around here."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:33 pm

Aeris nearly jumped out of her skin when the flower fox popped out of the house, and she giggle sheepishly at Allen.

"I didn't know they lived in houses like that," she admitted. "When you talked about them living in a forest, I thought you meant like regular animals ..."

Zoltan chuckled at her.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:42 pm

"Eh...." Allen looked like he was wibbling between two thoughts, "They do, live in the forest that is, but they also have a long history with the village. They're not domesticated, because they are fey creatures, so their intelligence is unlike that of a normal forest animal."

As he was explaining this the trees seemed to part ways as they exited the forest. The cart was now on a road that was wide enough to fit four carts side by side. However the middle of the road that was paved, was only paved wide enough to fit two carts side by side, leaving a large gap on either side. Beyond the side of the road were large fields with rows and rows of what looked to be unbloomed foxglove plants 5 feet tall. The primary leaves were large and a deep healthy green, and the tall stalks were filled with green buds. None of the flowers have yet bloomed, but if one studied them carefully they would see hints of white, pink, orange-yellow, blue and purple.

The road would go on for several miles until at the end of the road they could make out the village over a bridge.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:48 pm

Even Zoltan's face softened slightly at the sight of the village over the bridge. He nudged Aeris' elbow and pointed fowards at it.

She peered over Allen's shoulder and tried to see it for herself.

"What do you know about the village, Allen?" she asked him curiously.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:24 pm

"Well... the village has been here a long time, they're primarily a village of craftsmen and artisans, but they all help look after the flower field here. The flowers have been affected by years being near a forest touched by the Fey Wild, so they're unusual. The pollen is used to make potions, but a lot is needed so a limited amount is made every year," Allen explained, "Every year a representative heads to the capital to sell those potions and then divide the coin among the people who helped that year. A full set is given to the Dragon Lord in lieu of taxes."

Which was an unusual arrangement, but not having to pay actual coin could be a boon to the village, but it said something about the worth of the potions.

"Once the flowers are in bloom, no one is allowed in the fields," he added absently.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:10 pm

"Well, perhaps we should avoid the fields anyways," Aeris murmured, "just in case. I would hate to be responsible for the flowers not blooming as they're supposed to."

She wondered how well off the village would be, then.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:33 pm

As they entered the village it was clear that the village had more wealth than most villages of its size, especially since they didn't appear to have any guild buildings in it. However all the homes were made of a mixture of wood and stone, and had high quality glass in their windows. All the homes were painted in bright colours and the foundation of the village was all paved with stone.

There are also more of the small stone homes that they saw in the forest and in fact it wasn't unusual to see a flower fox napping somewhere, or walking down the street.

The cart stops just before the center of town, in front of a building that has a sign that reads, 'Fox's Den'. Judging by the size and the fact they had their own stables for horses and carriages, it was probably the inn.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:55 pm

Aeris was in awe of the whole village, not least of all by the number of flower foxes that were found here.

"This must be an amazing place if there are so many of these little ones here," she smiled, watching some flower foxes playing in the street. She climbed down from the cart and stretched.

Zoltan just hopped out and leaned as far back as he could, until there was an audible crack and he let out a satisfied sigh. "Much be'er," he murmured.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:02 pm

Reed dismounted from the cart and couldn't help but wonder if anyone had written a song about this place at all, it seemed like it came from a children's tale of sorts.

"Risa, keep watch on the horses, I'm going to take to the inn keeper," Allen explained as he hopped off the cart, "Anyone else want to come in? I'm just going to get us some rooms and make sure we can use the stables."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum