To the 'Town' on the Hill

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

Re: To the 'Town' on the Hill

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:02 pm

"Really, for us," Reed motioned to Aeris and himself, "We would be depending on the damage Zoltan can inflict. Zombies in particular I hear are difficult to kill because of the magic that animates them, so they make take several attacks. If you have a cantrip that can do damage it's best to stick with it whenever possible and save your energy for larger foes, but I don't know what kind of undead. We might be using our weapons a lot."

Reed understood where Aeris was coming from, but he wasn't sure if they could get anything to help them, and even if they could, they would never be able to afford it.

"Radiant damage is harmful to the undead, magic that is specific to most clerics and paladins, and magic that I don't know. There's nothing we have that could do that, a spell scroll could but they're one use and they're very expensive."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:45 pm

Aeris nodded again.

"I suppose I'm getting a little nervous about this," she smiled sheepishly. "I've never encountered anything undead before."

She thought about it as they walked.

"Perhaps we should consider looking for another few healing items?" she suggested, since there didn't seem much more to look for.
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:50 pm

"We could stop by the apothecary," Reed admitted, "I think we passed by it over along that street?"

He pointed a bit ways back there had been a hanging sign in the shape of a pot with the word 'apothecary' on it. They had only glanced at the window on the way which had colorful looking liquids in bottles on display in the window.

"Healing items are normally potions like the ones we have been given," Reed explained.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:54 pm

"Well, we could always give it a try," Aeris agreed. "At the very least, it won't hurt."

She had no idea if they would be able to afford anything in there, but it cost them nothing to ask.

She turned around to head back the way they'd come from so that they could go back to the apothecary's shop.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:04 pm

The apothecary was a hard shop to miss, with it's hanging sign and large bay windows with its display of potions. The ones at the window looked expensive with their colourful liquids and fancy looking bottles. On closer inspection one would realize the shop was actually a house, and in fact beyond the bay windows was a sitting room which had a large glass window cabinet against the wall which displayed more potions. There was an additional smaller shed/building added onto the side of the house with it's own separate door and wooden shutters that were closed tightly shut.

There were flower pots near the door and there was a sign on the door that said, "Please pull rope", and there was hanging rope on the right of the door.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:19 pm

Aeris moved straight to the rope and, reading the sign, pulled it immediately.

"This place looks well tended," she commented to the others as they waited for a reply.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Bell chimes rang throughout the home, announcing their arrival. There was silence and as the group waited they could hear the pattering of feet. The door opened by a human female with silver rimmed glasses and black hair that was kept away from her face using small braids. She wore a simple undyed dress and a soft brown over dress with pockets in the front.

"Oh... hello," she murmured softy, "Are you here for potions or ingredients?"

"Potions, we're adventurers heading out on a request and would like to see if there's anything we could use on our trip," Reed explained.

"Of course," she smiled and opened the door wide for them, "Please come in, but shoes at the door please."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:41 pm

No wonder the place looked so good, if they were expected to keep their footwear at the door.

Aeris stepped inside and slipped out of her leather shoes. These were not the fancy slippers that she would usually wear back home, but sturdier things, made for travel and the like.

"My name is Aeris Frosthorn," she introduced herself to the woman. "These are my companions, Reed and Risa. We're looking for something you might have for healing or similar, it seems we're to be facing some undead. Unless you have anything that would be specifically useful against the undead, that would be good, too."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:55 pm

"I'm Sara, it's a pleasure to meet you both," the woman then gave a small bow, "As for facing undead... I don't believe I have something for that, but I do have healing potions."

She motioned for them to follow her into the room on the right which was the sitting room they saw earlier.

"Please this way, facing undead... where is this if I may ask? I wasn't aware anywhere close by having undead trouble."

Granted considering the nature of undead, she supposed it could have been a very recent thing.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:00 pm

"Truth be told, I'm not exactly sure," Aeris admitted. "I'm not good with directions and I've never been to this area before. Our driver knows where it is."

A day's journey more?
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:06 pm

"The people who made the request said the location was Glimmer Quarry," Reed explained, "Well technically it's a place just outside of Glimmer Quarry, but I think we'll be staying there the night before camping out here the actual location."

"Ah... that place on the hill right?" Sara asked, "I've heard of it."

She showed them into the sitting room, which had two large plush couches and two plush chairs arranged so everyone could face each other. There was a low table between the places to sit.

"Take a seat and I'll grab what might be useful to you."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:09 pm

Aeris took a seat and made herself comfortable.

"Thank you, Reed, I had forgotten the name," she murmured once Sara had left them alone. "It's been a long few weeks of travel."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:24 pm

"That's fine," Reed assured her, "I think it was only mentioned once in passing."

Taking a key from her belt, Sara unlocked the glass cabinet that was in the sitting room. She took a silver tray and began to put some potions onto it. The potion maker paused in her work and then after some thought reached down and grabbed a small box as well. Leaving the cabinet open, she brought the tray and it's contents over to her guests and set them down on a low table.

"Here we go," Sara knelt down in front of the table and began to set the potions down.

There were four green potions going from a very pale green to a very deep leaf green in colour. They were kept in standard shaped potion bottles. There was a fifth potion that was small, and in the shape of a foxglove flower, it was a white potion that seemed to glow. Finally there was a wooden box that had carved into an oval with spikes around it like a sun and a cross in the middle.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Aeris was intrigued by the variety of bottles and colours before her, and she leaned forward for a better look.

"What are all of these?" she asked, glancing at Sara briefly before looking once more at the potions.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:35 pm

"These are all the different healing potions I currently have in stock," Sara explained. "These four green potions from lightest to darkest colour are healing potions. They will act just like a healing spell will, however the lightest one is the standard most people are familiar with that will heal a bit, while the darkest will heal a lot."

Reed nodded, the lightest coloured one was the one they all had some of thanks to the requests they had done previously. But they didn't own any of the darker coloured healing potions.

"This," Sara held up the tiny bottle shaped like a foxglove flower, "Is the town's specialty. This is the Fox Grove White Potion. This single dose acts like a Lesser Restoration spell, it'll cure any condition or disease, with the exception of exhaustion. Be warned, I only have three of these left and I won't be able to start brewing until close to the end of summer."

Finally her hands went to the small wooden box.

"This isn't a potion, this is actually a healer's kit," she explained, "This allows you to stabilize another person even if you don't have any medical experience should they be dying. Quite useful if you don't have a cleric or anyone with medicine knowledge with you."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Aeris inhaled deeply and let it out slowly.

"I hate to say it, but the healer's kit might be the best idea," she said to the others.

She looked back at Sara. "How much do they all cost?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:54 pm

"The healer's kit is 5 gold pieces," Sara informed the group, "From least powerful to most powerful the potions are worth 50, 200, 2000, and 20,000 gold pieces respectively and the white potion will be 20,000 gold pieces as well."

Reed whistled, he sort of knew that they were being paid quite well by their clients whenever they were being given a standard potion, but he wasn't aware it was worth that much.

"Maybe then a healer's kit or two?" he suggested to the group.

He had decent knowledge in medicine, but he was no healer.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:40 pm

Aeris nodded. If her scales weren't already so white, she might have paled. Or if she didn't have scales, period. Those prices were indeed quite steep.

"At least a few," she agreed. "I'll take ... three, myself."

She opened her money pouch and counted out fifteen gold pieces. Holding them out to Sara, she hoped they would be finding much more coin - or worthwhile items - on this request.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:34 pm

"Let me go get two more," Sara agreed before turning to the others, "Would either of you like a medical kit?"

Risa was hesitant because she didn't have a lot and buying a kit would wipe out most of what she had earned. However, Aeris seemed to think it was important. Reed put a hand on Risa's shoulder.

"I will buy two, you can have one of those Risa," the bard told her.

"Are you sure?" Risa asked.

The bard smiled at her, "The chances we'll need a healer's kit I don't think is very high. I'm just getting one because I'm the one with the healing spell, it's good to have a back up plan if I run out of energy to heal."

"I will get four more then then," Sara rose from her seat and picked up the tray, leaving the healer kit behind.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:08 pm

Aeris tapped her fingers nervously as they waited for Sara.

"I wonder if Zoltan or Allen would want any of these kits," she murmured. "Although, with five of them, we should be all right, right? I mean, it's not like we're going to be reckless or anything, right?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:12 pm

It was only then did Reed realize that Aeris had asked about the undead and items because she was nervous about what was going to happen.

"Aeris, it's more than enough," Reed assured her, "These kits have 10 uses in them, and they're only for if someone gains a life threatening injury on the field and there is no method to heal. The chances of us getting that bad won't be common. Remember, we wouldn't have been assigned this if the guild didn't think we could handle it."

Granted there was always danger, but Aeris was beyond nervous.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:14 pm

Aeris brought her eyes up to meet Reed's gaze, and her body relaxed visibly at his reassurances.

"I suppose you're right," she smiled at him. "I suppose I'm just nervous, as I know so little about undead, and I've never encountered them before ..."

Or really even heard about them until the briefing for this mission.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:19 pm

"Ah... but before you started this, had you ever met Stirges or Harpies?" Reed asked with a smile.

Those were both creatures they had run into and fought with little to no information. Actually both were a surprised unlike here where they more or less knew what they were getting into.

"Or hobgoblins for that matter... goblins I can see, but hobgoblins are a bit rarer."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:22 pm

"True," Aeris admitted, "but they were few in number ... it seems Glimmer Quarry is going to have quite a number of them ..."

The most they'd come up against was four enemies at once, and while it had gone well, it wasn't an entire region.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:33 pm

"The number of enemies is not always necessarily what will cause a great amount of difficulty," Risa spoke up, "Yes, it can be a problem. Fighters call it the action economy, the number of actions your army can take compared to the enemy. If you had say... ten people and your enemy had ten people, the ratio between your actions is 1 to 1. But, there are things that can upset that ratio, such as one group being much stronger than the other, but it's also possible to increase your number of actions."

"You mean like the way fighters can strike more than once?" Reed asked, he had never heard this side of Risa.

Risa gave a wavey motion with her hand, "Yes, but say... for mages like you and Aeris, spells that can affect more than one person, can tip that balance. I don't know much in the ways of battle magic, that wasn't Lovrick's specialty as he's a battle master, but I think Kevan knows a thing or two of how that works."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next