To the 'Town' on the Hill

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

Re: To the 'Town' on the Hill

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:41 pm

"It sounds like you've done some real studying on the subject," Aeris smiled at Risa. "But then, you have been preparing to take over your father's guild, haven't you?"

She couldn't remember who had said as much to her, but it made sense in that light that Risa would be studying all she could to help the adventurers who would be using the guild.
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:53 pm

Risa chuckled, "Yes, but it's also the class I chose. Fighters are supposed to know the martial arts including tactics, I'm not Lovrick, but I at least know the basics."

It was at this point Sara came back with four more boxes of healer kits.

"Here you go, four more kits to go with the first one," Sara set them down on the table in front of them.

"Thank you," Risa smiled brightly.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:30 pm

"Yes, thank you," Aeris smiled at Sara as she took the boxes she had purchased and put them into her bag.

Then she paused and thought a bit more. She had collected some weapons as well from the hobgoblins and such in the forest, and she couldn't use most of them well. But as Reed had said, they would probably need weapons, in case they didn't have the opportunity to recover from using spells, and she wondered if there was a place where she could trade what she had found.

"Would you know of a place where we might be able to purchase or trade in weapons?" she asked the apothecary.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:12 pm

"Hmmm..." Sara thought about it carefully, "You might want to check Bertha's place, hers is a few doors down. She converted an old stable beside her home into a shop of sorts. We have a metal smith, but he doesn't make weapons. Bertha however will buy things travelers find, but be aware she often resells to merchants passing through so she might not pay a great deal for an item at all, but she knows weapons."

"What do you think?" Reed asked Aeris, "Would you like to sell them now or wait until we get back to Oak Glen where we can sell directly to the merchants?"

It depended if Aeris thought it was important for them to have more coin now rather than later he supposed, and he wasn't sure of what Aeris was thinking.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:16 pm

Aeris looked at Reed. "Well, if there's a shortsword I could trade for, then I would be able to do more than just spells. I have a few longswords, and a few longbows, but I ... don't really know how to use them very well, I'd prefer something I'm more familiar with. That's all."

Her bag wasn't heavy yet, either, but if she kept collecting things, it would soon. If she could have only useful things, or convert items to coin, then it would be helpful. Of course, she could pass things off to others to hold onto as well, or simply store things in the cart, but at any rate she did want a weapon she could use better.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:32 pm

"Oh... you mean from the poachers?" Risa asked thoughtfully, "Does this mean you also found arrows?"

She and Allen had used about two to three arrows in the last fight and were missing one that they couldn't find from that last battle.

"I forgot, you both use long bows," Reed commented.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Aeris nodded. "You're welcome to them, and Allen too," she told Risa, "but perhaps we should do this outside, so that we don't take more of Sara's valuable time?"

She turned to their hostess and nodded respectfully. "I'm sure you have better things to do with your time than listen to us discuss our proceeds and who needs what. Thank you again for your time and your knowledge. I wish you all the best from here forward."

She rose from her seat, preparing to leave, and looked to the others.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:46 pm

"Actually if you don't mind," Sara spoke up, "If I may have a bit of your time as well."

"Oh?" Reed asked, a bit surprised by this.

Sara reached into her pocket and pulled out a small vial, she then shook it and when she did it began to emit light that filled the room for 20 feet and dim light for another 20 feet.

"This is a potion I make called a Glow Potion," Sara replied, "Useful to anyone who doesn't have darkvision or a light giving spell. It lasts for eight hours, it's a bit of an uncommon potion that uses the glands of the Giant Fire Beetle. They can be found in dark places like mines, and if I provide the cage and instructions to care for them I was wondering if you'd be willing to catch some for me after your current assignment is over. You'll be paid full price of course."

Risa nodded, her eyes sharpened as she realized what Sara means and explains, "Because this isn't going through the guild, it means whatever fee cost Miss. Sara would have to pay would go to us instead. What were you thinking?"

"Five gold pieces per beetle, I have a cage that can fit twenty, they're about the size of a chicken's egg so not that big, and as per tradition I will also provide each of your party with a standard healing potion. If you get all twenty, I will provide you with a Glow Potion from my stock."

"There five of us, are you sure?" Risa asked.

"Absolutely, I can make quite a large batch with twenty beetles."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:55 pm

Aeris smiled widely. "I think we would be quite happy to help you out with this, Sara. And is there anything else you would like us to watch out for?"

She counted this as learning about magic - weren't potions a form of magic, after all? - and she wanted to learn all she could about it.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:03 pm

"If you can ask permission to get into the mines of Glimmer Quarry where the fire beetles live and catch them for me. They're about the size of an egg like I said, and their under belly glows in the dark, like fire. They're not actually fire aligned creatures, they only bite, but it looks like they have fire in their bellies."

"And you want them alive?" Reed asked, not being familiar with the creatures at all.

"Once the beetle dies it only lasts for a few days, and you won't be able to make it back in time, so they have to be alive when caught," Sara explains, "It's the reason why making the potion is a bit difficult is because they have to be alive, and mines tend to house other creatures so adventurers are often have to be the ones to look for them. Miners will on occasion while they're working, but with the festivities coming up it's not on anyone's mind to look for them at the moment."

"And what do they eat?" Risa asked.

"If you mush up jerky and water, they can survive on that pretty well."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:11 pm

Aeris nodded. "We will keep that in mind," she promised Sara.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:17 pm

"I guess we're taking it," Reed replied.

Risa, who was more familiar in how to start dealings like these asked, "You said you had a cage?"

"Yes, let me get it."

Sara went back out of the room to grab the cage she had spoken of. Much to the surprise of the group when she came back the cage turned out to be a glass box with wooden frames keeping it together and a wire grid at the top.

"Oh, I haven't seen anything like this," Risa commented.

"The advantage of having one of the finest glass smiths living in the village," Sara replied, "Actually, this is heavy, how about I have this delivered to the inn? I assume you're staying at the Fox's Den and not with friends or family?"

"Yes, and please do, I don't think we'll be able to carry that with us," Risa agreed, "We can keep this in the cart. Is there something lighter we can take with us into the mines?"

"I have a large wicker basket with a cover that can be worn like a pack. They do bite, but if they're only in there for a few hours they won't bite out of the basket."

"Let's have that as well then," Risa agreed.

Once the agreement was made the group left the shop/house ready to their next stop.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:23 pm

Outside, Aeris stopped them before they went to Bertha's place.

"Before we go further," she said, looking at Risa, "Risa, you said that you could use arrows. Here. I have forty you can have, I have no use for them. And I have two longbows and two longswords that I also can't use well, so do you need any of them? Or Reed, do you want any of that?"

If not, she knew what she could trade or sell.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Reed shook his head at that, "I'm best trained on my rapier, but thank you for the offer Aeris."

"I would like to take the arrows for Allen and myself," Risa admitted, "They'll be useful as long as we're not in close quarters, and... well I'm not sure about Allen, but he does have blades on him already. Weapon wise, we should both be fine."

Since it was troublesome to switch between weapons, so having too many wasn't really a boon for her.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:40 pm

Aeris pulled her bag off her back and opened it, pulling out a quiver of 40 arrows.

"Here you are," she said, handing it over to Risa. "All yours."

And then she slung her bag on her back once more and prepared to go. "So which way to Bertha's, did Sara say?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:56 pm

"She said it was about two doors down, and that the shop was out of an old stable," Reed replied.

He pointed down one street and as he did so Risa put the arrows away, with the intention of splitting them between herself and her teacher. Once she had everything packed away the group headed down towards the shop that Sara had pointed out to them. To call it a stable was probably just describing what it had once done, and not the size of it. The building was only big enough to fit one horse, it was made of simple stone and wood with a thatched roof. The barn door, which had been one of those two part doors that opened at the bottom and the top had the top missing and with the door closed it was clear the bottom door acted as a counter for Bertha.

Bertha herself was a half-orc woman with brown hair that was tied up in a high ponytail that allowed people to see the undershave underneath. She was busy whittling wood into something and there was a sign hung on the wall next to the door that read "Bertha's Goods, Open". Like Sara, it seemed Bertha worked out of her own home.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:15 pm

The stable was easy to find, and Aeris was pleased to see Bertha (she presumed it was Bertha anyways) present and apparently ready to do business, despite her busyness.

"Hello!" she greeted the half-orc woman cheerfully. "My name is Aeris Frosthorn, and these are my companions, Reed and Risa! You must be Bertha! We were recommended to talk to you regarding possibly trading or selling some weapons we're not in need of, is that correct?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:22 pm

The woman seemed to have been caught off guard by Aeris' introduction, "Eh? Yes, I am she."

She set down her wood and tools on a table that was out of sight from the counter and leaned over.

"I resell weapons, that is true," she spoke plainly in a way that suggests she wasn't use to conversing with people despite her work, "You have something you want to sell?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:34 pm

"Potentially," Aeris nodded, not at all taken aback by the woman's less than cheerful tone. "I have two longswords and two longbows that I don't need, but I'm looking for one shortsword in exchange for an item, and coin for the rest, if that's possible."

She knelt and pulled the four weapons from her bag. "What say you?" she asked, looking back at the half-orc woman.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:53 pm

Bertha considered the weapons carefully, "They seem in fairly good condition, considering they have seen use."

Which was to be expected considering they had belonged to someone else. Bertha carefully studied each of the weapons.

"Decent make... have seen better."

But they were standard weapons, so it wasn't a surprise.

"I'll give you a short sword for the two long swords, and 40 gold pieces in total for the long bows."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:55 pm

It was more than Aeris had dared hope for, and she was happy to agree.

"Deal," she beamed, handing over the weapons without hesitation.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:28 pm

Bertha gathered up the weapons and disappeared deeper into the stable. There was sounds of rustling for a bit before she came back out and handed Aeris a short sword. This sword looked like it either hadn't been used or recently repaired. The hilt was made out of sturdy wood and wrapped in leather to prevent the grip from slipping.

"Here," she told Aeris and then handed her the 40 pieces of gold as well, "This should do you well."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:32 pm

Aeris put the coins in her pouch, then took the sword by the handle and stepped away from the others. She held it out directly in front of her, took a few swings with it, and then sheathed it and tied it to her waist. It felt quite good in her hand.

"Thank you," she said warmly to Bertha. "I believe it will."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:03 pm

Reed didn't say anything but he was pretty sure that Aeris could have gotten more from that exchange, but he didn't know the price of those pieces of equipment and they were used.

"Have everything?" Reed asked as Bertha went back to what she was doing.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:18 pm

Aeris nodded at Reed, quite pleased with her exchange. "Yes, I feel much better now," she beamed at him. "Which I suppose brings me to the end of what I wanted to accomplish. Does anyone else have anywhere they want to check out?"

At this point, she was just looking forward to a properly cooked meal - something not cooked over a campfire, enjoyed at a table and followed by a warm bed.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next