To the 'Town' on the Hill

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Re: To the 'Town' on the Hill

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Zoltan's stomach rumbled at the mention of a hot meal, and he couldn't stop the hint of a smile that played about the corners of his mouth.

"I have te admi' i', tha' sounds good," he grinned. "An' honestly, a floor is a fair sight be'er than the ground we've been sleepin' on."

And if Allen knew Red well enough to simply drop in like this, then Zoltan would trust him enough to stay there.
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:46 pm

"Traveling always puts things in perspective doesn't it?" Reed asked rhetorically.

They would see the glow of light coming from the cabin, and smell the smell of burning wood before they even saw it. The cabin was roomier than what Allen had indicated, though it did look like someone had added on a an extra cabin to the back of the back original. Despite the rain clouds one could quite see there had been a new addition added as the wood logs, and stone work did not look worn by weather. It was an odd sight though to see three chimneys though. One near the front of the cabin on the right wall, one in the back of the cabin on the left wall and one chimney sticking out from the middle.

"Huh... he must have add additions made," Allen commented as he jumped down from the cart, nearly missing his footing in the mud.

As he promised, there was a small stable near the cabin with the doors wide open and a sign that read, "Feel free to stay, knock if you need anything."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:47 pm

"I see he's used te people stoppin' in wi'out warnin'," Zoltan quipped when he saw the sign.

"Some people are just friendly," Aeris pointed out, leaning forward and looking over the dwarf's head. "It looks cozy. Busy."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:08 pm

"Part of it is him being friendly," Allen agreed as he walked the horses and cart into the stable, "He is on a relatively well traveled road, but also people come to him for his works as well."

Once they were in, Allen began to unhook the horses, he would have to tend to them first before they could knock on the door of the cabin. Though it was clear that if it was just one or two people, people could sleep in the stable as well.

"Also, I think he just likes the company, he says it's refreshing."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:35 pm

"Does he live alone, then?" Aeris asked as she climbed out of the cart. She stretched and began to pace back and forth. All of the sitting she had done in the past eight days had more than caught up to her: she was incredibly stiff and beginning to find it difficult to sleep at nights.

"Hope he's go' some way te watch ou' a' nights," Zoltan quipped, stretching and cracking his back. "T'ain't e'zactly safe te go wi'out protection of a kind."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:42 pm

"From my understanding yes," Allen replied as he brushed down the horses, "He moved to this country about... I think two decades ago? Somewhere around there, but he came alone."

He cooed at the horses to get them to settle down as he continued to tend to them. Once he was sure they were brushed well he went to get some food for them.

"I'm sure it's fine," Reed replied, "He's been living out here since?"

"About so, did spend some time in Oak Glen, but Red said he would like to do experiments without causing a ruckus next door."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:46 pm

"A ruckus?" Aeris blinked, understanding the word but not the reason for it. "Why a ruckus? What kind of ruckus? Did he have bad neighbours or something?"

Zoltan snickered. "He's an alchemist, lass. Playin' wi' stuff an' no' knowin' wha's gonna happen ... things sometimes go boom."

he made a little exploding sound and made a motion with his hands like a bomb exploding.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:11 pm

Risa chuckled, "I've heard of that, it is a problem. I think the alchemists in the town have sigils on their walls and windows to prevent too damage and noise, but I hear it's really expensive to do especially since we're so far from the capitol."

"It is," Allen confirmed as he motioned for the others to follow up, "Red just figured he could put that money into getting a bigger place instead of having magic sigils done."

Though clearly judging by the amount of light from the windows, the alchemist was not a stranger to magic. That much light without paying a fortune in candles could only be done by some sort of magic light.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:26 pm

"A' any rate," Zoltan sighed tiredly as he followed after Allen, "i's goo' fer us tha' he's ou' here so we can have a decen' place te sleep fer a night.""

"I certainly won't disagree with that," Aeris murmured sheepishly.

She wasn't accustomed to sleeping outdoors at all, though she'd had experience with it since leaving her home. Back home, she had lived, she would freely admit, a very comfortable life, bordering, perhaps, on luxurious. Her clothes, intricately embroidered with gems inlaid along the collar, were evidence of it.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:57 pm

Allen knocked on the door firmly and waited to see if anyone would answer. There was some shuffling far off inside the cabin and a muffled voice called back, "Coming! Coming!"

The door opened a crack and a black eye peered at them, "Yes? Oh... Oh! Allen!"

The door swung open to reveal a thin old tiefling with red skin, long gray hair and dark horns that curled around like a ram (which was pretty common among tieflings it seemed). He had brass trimmed glasses on, and he adjusted it as he peered up at the half elf ranger.

"Allen! Is it time for mail already?" he peered behind Allen to see the others, "But you brought visitors this time?"
"Yes, I'm actually on an assignment, but I did bring mail since I knew I was coming out this way, may we stay the night?"
"Oh yes! Of course, sorry about that, come in, come in," the old man backed up and let the travelers in, "Take off your wet things, and let them dry by the door. Allen, since you're on assignment I won't ask you to bring my packages back to Oak Glen, you can't be bogged down with extra things. Perhaps on the way back when you're done."

Allen chuckled as he took off his cloak and hung it up by the door.

"Of course, finished with those orders already?"
"Basic healing potions are child's play," Red replied, "Now Alchemist's Fire, that is a challenge."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:19 pm

"Oh, you make potions!" Aeris breathed, her eyes lighting up. "Do you teach others how to make potions too? I would love to learn!"

She pulled off her cloak and hung it up next to Allen's and stepped further into the room. "By the way, my name is Aeris Frosthorn. I'm studying magic, specifically sorcery, but I'd like to learn as much as I can, even about alchemy and such!"

Zoltan rolled his eyes as he removed his cloak and shook it off before hanging it up.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:29 pm

Red laughed heartily at this, "And what an eager learner too."

He grinned, allowing his sharp teeth to show as he gestured to the inside of his cabin, "And I am Red, the owner of this place, I do teach, well..." he paused and tilted his head as he pushed his glasses up his nose, "I would if anyone asked, but I believe you have a request to see through, but if your fellows don't mind me stealing you away for a few months I would be happy to teach you later."

There was a bit of a chuckle at that as he motioned for them to follow him further into his cabin. He took a right which led into a room that acted as the kitchen. The table was large enough to fit several people, and the stone hearth roared with a well stoked fire.

"Take a seat, I'm sure you're all cold and something hot would be better," he told them as he pulled out what looked like the insides of an oil lantern and placed it on a counter normally used to prepare food.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:42 pm

"Now tha's a welcome sight," Zoltan muttered under his breath, and he moved close to the fire and stood in front of it, holding his hands out to it to warm them.

Aeris beamed at Red. "Well, if the opportunity ever arises, I would indeed be pleased to learn from you. Thank you."

She moved to take a seat. "Well, I would have to make sure I would have enough to pay you for your time first. Time to start saving up!"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Red chuckled, "Well, that is certainly refreshing, not many young folks are as a go-getter as you. Allen, introduce the rest of your companions to me while I warm up some wine. The old alchemist moved to get a few things that he would need as Allen spoke.

"Well, Aeris has already introduced herself," Allen grinned at his friend, "The gentleman by the fire is Zoltan, and this here is Reed."

"Hi!" Reed waved as he sat down at the table.

The bard watched in interest as Red took out a bottle of wine, and what looked like a strangely shaped glass flask with a wide flat bottom. Red set both down on the counter before reaching into a drawer under the counter top and pulling out a metal box.

"And this is Risa, my student."

"Thank you for having us," Risa replied.

"Ah... the same student that you're sharing," Red commented as he opened the box, inside was a tiny flask and a glass tube with a small beak like end on it.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:42 pm

Zoltan gave a small nod when he was introduced and then gave his attention back to the fire.

"Sharing?" Aeris blinked, not quite understanding. "Sharing with whom?"

She watched what Red was doing, curious to see what he was going to do.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:56 pm

"With other teachers," Risa explained, "Lovrick is my primary teacher, Allen and Asim help with archery and some fighting when they can. Kevan also likes to share knowledge, as well, but he leaves most of it up to Allen and Lovrick."

"I'm a ranger," Allen shrugged, "Lovrick is more well rounded in the martial arts than I am, but I can certainly pass on a lot of skills in the archery area."

Red nodded along to this conversation as he carefully opened an inner compartment in the flash and put the glass tube's beak into an opening to carefully fill it.

"Red... please tell me you're not using alchemy for daily tasks again..."

"Don't worry, it's perfectly safe, that's why I had my counter top made out of stone," the tiefling replied, he quickly pulled the glass tube out and poured the contents into the lantern burner.

As he did so the group could see the liquid already catching on fire and burning as it poured into the burner creating a hot flame.

"There, now to heat the wine," Red commented cheerfully as he began to pour the wine into the glass flask he got out earlier and placed it on a stand over the lantern burner.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:54 pm

"I wish I knew more ways to use magic for everyday tasks," Aeris murmured as she watched Red, fascinated by what he was doing. "I mean, I can use Mage Hand, and it is handy - no pun intended - but as many uses as it has, I really do wish I could do more."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:08 pm

"The trick with magic, and it goes the same with alchemy, and pretty much anything you know, is to think about what you know, and then how you can apply it to things other than what it was intended to be used for," Red explained as if he was telling a grand secret.

He didn't move from his spot, instead kept a careful eye on the now warming wine. The old man did however reached over in his cupboard and pulled out some spices, and dried citrus fruit, as well as a jar of honey. There was a cupboard under the counter, which he reached into and pulled out some cups.

"I once spoke to a cleric who used the Mending spell to mend a broken tooth, and well, it was a tooth," Red threw up his hands a bit before going back to the spices, adding a bit to the wine, "I asked, how does that work, surely a healing spell would be needed, not a spell meant to mend objects."

Reed thought about it, he had heard of the mend spell, and he too thought it was weird too.

"The reasoning, she told me was that only the inside of the teeth was living, the outside was like a shell, you'd find on the beach, and you can mend shells she said. If the inside of the tooth had been damaged, she said it would have needed a Regeneration spell instead, but it was just the outside, which was not technically living, so she used the Mend spell instead. She also admitted that a healing spell would have worked just as well, if the tooth she was trying to fix didn't belong to a dragon. Hah! Imagine that?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:22 pm

Aeris' eyes widened slightly.

"I hadn't ever thought of that," she said, her voice filled with wonder. "I know Mending, too ..."

She frowned suddenly. "Why wouldn't a healing spell work on a dragon's tooth? Are they different from other teeth?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:31 pm

Red shrugged at that, "You would have to ask someone who specializes in healing, I only know the story I'm afraid."

"Actually, I do know the answer to that," Reed spoke up, being a bit familiar with healing himself, "The bigger the creature the more energy it takes to heal wounds. I have heard of clerics who specialize in healing able to direct a spell like Cure Wounds to a specific area but that takes training and not everyone has that ability even if they can use the spell. So I can see mending a tooth like that an easier fix, and on a dragon Cure Wounds wouldn't cut it unless you knew how to direct the spell."

"Ah... interesting, I hadn't thought of that," Red admitted.

The wine began to bubble a bit and he took it off the flame, pouring the wine into the cups before handing it out to everyone.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:05 pm

Zoltan accepted his cup with a nod of thanks and sat where he was, next to the fire, and began to sip at it.

Aeris smiled and murmured a soft "thank you" when she took her cup, and she let it warm her hands a bit before she began to drink it.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Once the drinks were handed out, Red made sure to carefully put out the small flame that he had used to warm the wine. When the flame was out, and he was sure it wouldn't start up again, he began to clean it out. Despite Allen's worries about Red using his alchemy to do daily tasks, Red was clearly very careful with what he did.

"Now, it's a bit late in the night, but I can cook up some eggs and smoked meats if everyone wants a hot meal, also have some bread leftover from the other day. It's an unconventional meal, but it'll be hot," Red offered the travelers.

"That sounds wonderful," Risa admitted, even though she associated those foods with a fancy first meal used to break fast.

"A gracious host as always," Allen added with a nod that he would be up for it.

Red waved it off, "Nonsense, I live alone out here after all. I don't get visitors very often."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:54 pm

"I think it sounds delightful," Aeris beamed. "Thank you very much."

She had a feeling she was going to enjoy her stay here, and sincerely hoped that she would have the opportunity to come back and learn from him.

She looked over at Zoltan to see if he was enjoying the place as much as she and the others were, but he was still sitting alone by the fire, his back to the room.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:07 pm

"I'll be right back then," Red held up a finger as he went into his pantry to get some foodstuffs.

"Zoltan," Allen spoke up softly, "Are you still cold from earlier?"

He too had noted that the dwarf hadn't left his spot since they entered the kitchen. It seemed kind of lonely to be all out there by himself.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:21 pm

Zoltan was not startled by the question, despite not really expecting it. He had been listening in to the conversation, just keeping to himself.

"Warmin' nicely, thank ye," he replied evenly, without moving.

Aeris felt a bit of sadness inside, seeing him keeping to himself, but at the same time, she was well aware that he preferred to be alone. Even if she didn't fully know the reason for it.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum