To the 'Town' on the Hill

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Re: To the 'Town' on the Hill

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:31 pm

"Maybe we should head back to the inn," Risa suggested softly as she glanced at Reed.

Risa was also surprised that Aeris took the first offer, but now that she was looking she realized Aeris was also wearing very fine clothing, which was not good for adventuring. Or being in a large city now that she thought about it. Perhaps after this request she would take Aeris around shopping, either in any of the towns they would stay in, or back at Oak Glen.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:25 pm

Aeris nodded, agreeing with Risa's suggestion.

"I think I'm up for a good meal," she said warmly. "Come on, let's go."
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:34 pm

When they got back Allen was having a conversation with Melrik over a drink and there was smells of things both savory and sweet coming from the kitchen. The common room was also a bit fuller, primarily of merchants coming in from a day of shopping or selling.

"Hey!" Allen waved at them, "Did you all have fun out there?"

He grinned at them expectantly, because he knew it was their first time in this village for all of them.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:57 pm

"Oh, lots of fun," Aeris beamed at Allen, moving to join him and Melrick. "We got to meet a few people, picked up a few healer's kits, and I traded in the weapons from those poachers for a shortsword that I can use and some gold, besides."

She was quite proud of herself and her first trade.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:17 pm

"Healer kits?" Allen was surprised, "Well, that does make sense since we don't have a healer with us."

Not all groups can be exactly balanced, that was just the way life was.

"Good to hear you had a good time looking around town, I wish I could say to look around more, but after tonight we'll be on our way again," Allen murmured, "Perhaps coming back..."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:23 pm

"Oh, I would definitely like to look around more," Aeris nodded. "But it is time to eat. May we join you? Or would we be intruding?"

She gestured towards the table, which looked to have room for the rest of the group.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:38 pm

"No, no," Melrik replied, "Sit! It's always good to meet new people, I was just having Allen here try my latest wine, it's been aging since last summer and I wanted to get his opinion on it. Do you want some? I always like feedback."

He then leaned back in his seat and motioned for the serving girl to get some more cups.

Allen grinned as he sipped a drink that was of a deep red colour.

"Sure?" Reed almost wasn't sure but the dwarf seemed enthused.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:46 pm

"I must admit, I'm not much for wine," Aeris admitted, taking a seat next to Allen, "but I'm willing to give it a try."

She set her bag between her feet so that she could feel its presence but not worry about it.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:52 pm

"Ah... are you more of ale person?" Melrik asked as he waited for the glasses, "You strike me as more of a spirit person though."

The waitstaff set down a set of very fine glasses for Melrik to use, took the tall bottle that was beside him and began to pour the wine.

"This is a cherry wine, the fruit comes from a farm across the border, normally used for baking because they're so tart, but I figured, probably good for wine making too."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:54 pm

"Actually, neither," Aeris replied, a bit bemused by his comment. "I tend not to drink alcohol. I prefer water more than any other drink."

She watched him pour out the wine.

"Still, I do like to try new things," she added cheerfully.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:23 pm

"Really now?" Melrik sounded interested, "Your home has a constant source of pure water? Or do are there are a lot mages where you live?"

It could be one or the other really, there were places where people drank primarily water because they could, it wasn't like it was unheard of, but he was curious. He poured her a small bit and passed it over to her, while pouring the others a larger portion.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:51 am

"Well, there are quite a number of mages, I suppose," Aeris mused, reaching for her drink, "but I come from the far north, up in the mountains. Not high in the mountains, but high enough, so most of our water actually comes from mountain springs. Very cold, and very clear. Absolutely delicious."

She waited for the others to have their drinks before she took a sip. She let it roll around in her mouth for a moment, pondering its taste, before she swallowed it down.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:24 pm

The drink wasn't as sweet as one would think it would be for being made out of cherries, but Melrik had said it was made using tart cherries normally used for cooking. Which made it a good drinking wine, something recognizable to most people.

"Ah... this is tasty, not as sweet as I thought it would be, it reminds me a lot like the wines back home, but the flavour is just... different," Risa commented, but she didn't know how to explain it.

"Aye, tart cherries just give that right about of kick that certain wine grapes do. I do have sweeter, but they're made from different fruits."

Reed inquired as he drank his share, "Do you often make your own wine?"

"Among other drinks," the dwarf admitted before turning to Aeris, "Would you like more?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:40 pm

Aeris swallowed down the mouthful she'd taken and shook her head.

"I admit, for wine, it is rather pleasant," she smiled at him, "but thank you, no, once I've finished this glass I'll go back to water."

As she spoke, Zoltan entered the inn via the front door. He looked sweaty, but none the worse for wear, and he had his greataxe over his shoulder. He spotted the group and gave them a brief nod. For a moment, it seemed as though he was going to continue without stopping, but then he turned and headed towards them.

"Ev'nin'," he grunted. "Didn'e think I'd be seein' ye all tegether ye' t'night," he said without greeting them, dropping his greataxe to the floor, blunt side down, with a clunk. "Somethin' goin' on I need te know aboot?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:45 pm

"Of course there is," Melrik replied waving down for another glass, "I was just showing off some of my homebrewed wine. Come! Sit, have a glass."

Melrik seemed especially warm, perhaps because Zoltan was a fellow dwarf, but that would be guessing on a stranger's part.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:56 pm

There was a moment while Zoltan considered the invitation that Aeris worried that he might just walk away; but then he sat down, sliding his axe between his feet as Aeris had done with her bag.

"Thank ye," he nodded at Melrick, his tone flat, his eyes cold. "Prefer some ale, if ye've got any."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:05 pm

Reed paused mid-sip, he was able to sense the coldness in Zoltan, but he didn't know why the dwarf was acting like that. The bard carefully continue to drink his wine as he watched Allen and Melrik.

Melrik also didn't know where this attitude was coming from, he raised a brow and the jolly demeanor he had fell away. However he did not bite back at Zoltan, instead he nodded and looked thoughtful.

"Always of course, bread and butter around here, I'll go get it," he offered trying to continue to be a good host, he hopped off his chair and went into the kitchen to get the ale.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:12 pm

As soon as Melrick was gone, Aeris turned to Zoltan and looked at him sadly.

"He's a friendly host, you could at least be civil," she told him quietly.

Zoltan shrugged. "I don' know 'im."

"Nor does he know us, yet he is treating us as friends," she replied evenly.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:40 pm

"You've never treated anyone that coldly even if you didn't know them," Reed commented softly.

That was beyond the usual coldness that Zoltan sometimes had. Allen and Risa were uncomfortable with this, though Allen felt that he should speak up, but he didn't.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:53 pm

"I'm no' bein' cold, I jes' don' know 'im an' I don' treat strangers li' ol' friends," Zoltan replied calmly.

Aeris wondered what might be going on. It seemed to her that Zoltan was different when there were other dwarfs around.

Suddenly it dawned on her ... Zoltan was not a very dwarfish sounding name ... and to her knowledge, there would be only one reason for him taking a name that was not dwarfish.

"I think," she said, rather softly, "tomorrow, when we're traveling again, we need to have a serious talk. All of us." Her eyes were fixed on Zoltan. "But for now, don't make enemies out of friends. All right?"

Zoltan looked at her evenly for a moment, and then he sighed, his face softening slightly. "Aye, all righ'," he murmured. "I'll do my best."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:02 pm

By this point Melrik had come back and as he promised with a large tankard of ale which he set in front of Zoltan.

"Here you go," the innkeeper set it down in front of Zoltan, "The best ale I have."

With that the dwarf took a seat once more and began to ask the others about themselves, wanting to hear their stories.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:06 pm

Zoltan thanked Melrick warmly and sincerely, and while he didn't offer much information about himself besides that he had been a soldier, he did stick around as the others swapped stories until they were all ready to go to bed.

After a comfortable and solid night's sleep, the best they'd had in a while, they prepared once more to leave the village.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:00 pm

The next morning proved to be a good sunny and slightly hot day. Melrik saw the travelers off, despite the incident the night before.

"When you come back after your request, stay a while," the dwarf told the group, "Take in our lovely village before going on your way again."

"We'll see," Allen chuckled, "See you in a few weeks."

"And keep safe," the dwarf nodded as Allen got the cart going and they were on their way.

They would exit on the other side of town and towards the border.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:15 pm

Aeris bid Melrick a fond farewell, and even Zoltan gave a (half) smile and a wave.

Once they were clear of the town, Aeris turned to Zoltan and said, in a tone that disallowed any sort of argument, "I think there's something you need to explain to the group. You're never very social, but last night was beyond not being social."

Zoltan looked past her out the back of the cart. "Uh-huh."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:17 pm

Allen looked over his shoulder for a moment and sighed before turning his eyes back to the road. Risa had warned him about Zoltan's tendency for pushing people away, but he didn't think it was this bad.

"Zoltan, an explanation would be nice," Allen spoke up, but continued to keep his eyes on the road, "Melrik is a good host and he was only being friendly."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next