The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To the 'Town' on the Hill

2 posters

Page 19 of 22 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down

To the 'Town' on the Hill - Page 19 Empty Re: To the 'Town' on the Hill

Post by Kara Winters Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:14 pm

Reed read it and frowned at that, it was quite sad. The person said they fought, he wondered then if this person had been a solider or a servant. Since it seemed like the lord here had kept his own soldiers as well.

"I wonder this person had been one of the zombies we came across..."

Though there appeared to be more zombies than one would find people up here, but it was always possible. He didn't quite know how the whole zombie thing worked.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:06 am

"Well, we mi' as well keep goin'," Zoltan grunted, heading out of the building once more when he saw that there would be nothing more to find there. "On te the next 'un."

He opened the door to the next building and saw what was by now very typical for these buildings: a bed, a night table, a desk to write at, and a chair.

"Nothin' here," he called to the others, leaving the place immediately.

Aeris was immediately suspicious. "There's been something in every place," she told him. "I'll look."

She headed into the room and checked around. The drawers, the floorboards, the corners, all seemed clear of anything interesting. She was about to leave when she remembered that one of the houses had had something hidden in a mattress. She checked the mattress of this place as well, just in case. Sure enough, underneath it was a pouch. Inside the pouch she found more coins: 46 cp, 29 sp, and 10 gp. She tucked it into her bag.

"Some coins," she told the others, emerging from the house once again. "Nothing more."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:09 am

"I guess if all these homes were of the hired help, it must be their life savings," Risa commented, "Normally in houses like these, housing and food and to an extent clothing is paid for already."

Which was why some people went to work for a large house. The group backed away from the house and made their way towards the largest house on the east side. Though it was hard to tell from the front how large it was.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Aeris opened the door to the next house and looked inside. It was indeed larger than the others had been, and had the usual bed and chair, and the desk in this house was a proper writing desk, with the slanted surface and drawers along the top of the desk itself.

She stepped into the room and stopped at the desk, as it drew her curiosity the most. She began to rummage through the drawers. Whoever had lived here had been quite well off, for not having lived in the manor. In one drawer she found 8 pp; in another 3 unused black ink blocks (why when this person could clearly have afforded to have bought premade ink?), 2 glass pens, 20 sheets of still-undegraded parchement, a small stone mortar and pestle, and a small vial of sparkling, slightly iridescent dust that looked as if it were some kind of gem dust.

"It makes you wonder what we'll find in the manor itself," she murmured as she tucked it all away into her bag.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:53 pm

Reed stepped into the home, followed by Risa, as the place was big enough to fit them all comfortably. It was oddly spacy for being so sparse.

Risa joined Aeris by the desk and looked at it with curiousity, "I wonder if the person living here was a scribe of some sort?"

It wasn't unusual for lords to keep a scribe, and the desk looked like the kind a scribe would use.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:15 pm

"To be honest, I don't know who else would use so many writing tools," Aeris admitted. "Though this parchment is untouched after so many years ... I wonder if it might be more than regular paper."

Still, they couldn't know that unless they got someone knowledgeable to look at it.

"Well, shall we move on?" she asked the others, nodding once more towards the door.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:19 pm

Reed nodded and tried the door that was at the eastern wall. He noted this place was also more roomy than most of the standard buildings.

He jigged the handle and found it lock.

"This door is locked," he let the others know, since he didn't have the strength to knock it down.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:08 pm

"Allo' me," Zoltan said, ushering the others away from the door.

He stood back and took a running start, turning his shoulder to the door. He bashed right through it, and, still running, tripped over a scorched corpse. He hit the ground with a soft grunt.

Aeris followed after him and looked around.

Clearly the room had been some kind of a study or workroom. The walls were lined with shelves of books, scrolls and bottles. The floor was stone, which was probably why it didn't burn when the body in the middle of the floor so obviously had. There were burn marks around the body, in a circular shape, and inside the circle were remains of herbs, stone and parchment. Beyond the circle were two books: one that was plain brown, thin and closed, and a second that was thicker, made of good leather, dyed red, trimmed with gold. For some reason, the second book was in perfect condition, despite being open, with the exception of a page that had been torn from it. East of the body was a small bowl with half an ink block beside it. The bowl itself had long since dried.

"Looks like someone died trying to perform a spell," Aeris murmured, reaching down and picking up the red book.

She could see just by looking that it was a spell book, one a wizard might use to prepare their spells, but it also looked as though someone had been experimenting with new spells, writing down their own experimental magic. She flipped through the book. There was a standard Blade Ward, Guidance (what was that doing in there? That wasn't a Wizard spell.), Minor Evocation, Faerie Fire (another non-wizard spell?), Feather Fall, and one she had never heard of before called Thorn Bind Hostage. She read through it. It seemed that it would conjure five shining vines to capture a target, and if the vines were cut, they would explode and cause damage.

Sounded useful.

She wondered if she would be able to make use of any of this.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:13 pm

Reed carefully slide inside the room, getting around Zoltan as he studied the room around him.

"So this person was a mage huh?" he wondered aloud as he picked up the other book that Aeris left untouched and flipped through it, "What's the other book?"

He asked curiously to Aeris but he didn't take his eyes off the book he was reading.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:28 pm

Aeris closed the red book. "A book of spells, it looks like a Wizard's book," she explained, "but not all of the spells in there are wizard spells ... and it looks like there was some experimenting going on."

She eyed the book in his hands. "And that one?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:38 pm

Reed frowned a bit as he read through, finally flipping through to the very last page of the book and then flipping forward until he seemed to have found something.

"It seems that a traveling... I guess merchant? Sold the local lord here the orb and the wizard tried to warn him that it was unwise in buying it. Which is generally good advice about any magical object unless you have someone trusted checked over."

He kept looking through the book, since it was unsaid that a wizard could have taken care of the orb.

"Ah... here it is, this wizard didn't know the Dispel spell and didn't have the ability to cast magic higher than tier two, but often got around it by making spell scrolls. Still, if he didn't know the spell, he couldn't make a spell scroll. He had been experimenting with barriers though..."

The bard fell silence and there was a bit of sadness in his eyes as he read aloud.

"This is the only thing I can think of doing. It's too late to get near the thing now, but I can at least keep it from spreading. Kind of a reverse Hallow I suppose, all experimental, but if I can at least keep it contained until someone gets rid of that blasted orb, then I would have done my work. This should be beyond my capability to cast, even if made into a scroll, and there isn't time to make something like that into scroll, so I'll just have make do. Probably won't live, but it will have been worth it."

He wondered now if the fog was not a by product of the orb, but then a very complex spell instead.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:53 pm

"Well, tha's a downer," Zoltan said, breaking the silence.

Aeris sighed. "You know, it's quite possible that this wizard saved a good number of lives," she pointed out to the dwarf. "He probably kept the undead curse from spreading, or stopped those that were undead from leaving here and spreading across the area."

She moved to look at the shelves. There were six scrolls that caught her attention, ribboned in orange, purple, red, blue, gray and yellow, as well as three potions of healing and a potion of greater healing. She tucked the potions away first, then examined the scrolls. They were spell scrolls, each one with one of the spells that she had read in the book.

"Spell scrolls," she murmured, showing the others.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:31 pm

"Interesting," Reed murmured as he closed the journal and put it away in his pack.

As a bard, keeping a story like this was important to him, when he was done with it, he would like to give it to the Bard's Guild.

"According to his journal they were his specialty which explains the writing desk."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:50 pm

"It would," Aeris agreed. "I wonder if I should consider it. It would be nice not to always have to worry about reaching my limit of spells when we're in one battle after another like we've been lately."

She had used everything she'd had the day before, and she had been scared by the time they'd decided to turn back to camp. If they'd come across anything, she would have been almost powerless, magically speaking.

"Though on that note, perhaps we should continue onwards," she suggested. "As I recall, there's just one little building before the manor house again, yes? Surely we can finish those both today."

"An' then find tha' mine we were asked te look out fer," Zoltan added. "Tha's aroun' here somewhere, innit?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:57 pm

Reed nodded at this, "Back in the town, if we're willing to stay there for a bit. The mine should hold those fire bugs that the potion maker wanted."

With that he left the room in order to let give a wave to Risa that everything was alright since they were in there for a while.

"We'll be heading to the next home," he told her.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:22 pm

The group made their way to the next building, which was a very tiny home. Aeris opened the door and stepped inside. It hardly seemed large enough for the bed and night table that furnished it. There was a little stool as well, which was good that there was nothing bigger, as the night table was the only place to write anything anyways.

She looked around. Neatly folded but decomposing clothes were in one corner, and she found an unfinished letter that touted the lord of the manor as generous in the wages he gave his staff, despite providing room and board for them. The person who had lived here had managed to save up some money, and had been planning on sending it back home to help out his family. Aeris found the coins in a small metal box near the letter: 28 cp, 22 sp, and 6 gp, which she collected.

"Not much in here," she told the others, coming out again. "Some coin. A partial letter."

She gestured towards the manor house. "Shall we finish up?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:40 pm

Risa looked over to the looming manor, now that they've been through all the other places. The manor seemed larger, now that they knew how small all the other buildings were.

"Are we heading straight to the second floor?" Risa asked as the group made their way towards the manor.

Hopefully, this would be quick, despite the fact the ground floor had a good number of rooms.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:42 pm

"It'd be wise te make sure nothin' from the secon' floor made i's way down te the first floor overnigh'," Zoltan shook his head. "If we end up missin' somethin', i' won' do aneone any good."

He led the way back to the manor house and opened the front door, leading the way inside again.

"An' no fire," he told Aeris pointedly.

She nodded.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:49 pm

The first room, or greeting room (?) was empty and there were no candles, seeing as they had defeated them two days ago. It didn't look like anything else took residence in the room though. Reed carefully side stepped the rest of the party to check out the south door, since he recalled it didn't lead to anymore rooms.

So this should be a quick check he thought as he hoped the door and took a look around. As far as he could tell there wasn't anything in there since they last checked. Though since this room had a door, he supposed it made sense.

"All clear."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:36 pm

Zoltan led the way into the hallway, and Aeris was right behind him. The hallway was no different from the last time they'd been in it, with no new spider webs or anything.

They checked the kitchen, which they hadn't searched before. Zoltan glanced inside and left, but Aeris decided to check the cupboards. She was rewarded with four silver goblets. On a hook near the fireplace was a tiny pouch, so small she almost missed it, and when she opened it and looked inside it was empty. She sniffed it, and smelled spices. She couldn't imagine it would be worth much, but she took it anyways.

Since they had already searched the rooms to the south, they continued to the study to the east, where they had found the orb. Aeris found another scroll closed with a ribbon and a seal, and she picked it up and opened it. She couldn't read it, but perhaps someone else could - someone at the Mage Guild, perhaps. She tucked it away.

She also found a locked cupboard, and called Zoltan's attention to it. He was far stronger than her, and she presumed he would be able to open it. He struck at it with his fist, leaving a dent, but little else.

"Stan' back," he cautioned Aeris, taking out a handaxe. He struck at the cupboard, but still it held firm; and it wasn't until he gave it another firm blow that it splintered open. He used the handle of his axe to knock the splinters away so that it would be safe to put a hand inside.

On the shelf inside, he found a pouch, and when he counted out the coins he found 30 cp, 30 sp, and 15 gp. He pocketed the coins and tossed the pouch.

"Think we're abou' ready te head upstairs," he told the others, gesturing towards the door again.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:46 pm

"I think so too," Risa agreed, "And hopefully it'll be clear."

It was unlikely, but they seem to have had a quiet run so far, much better than yesterday. The group headed back out to the main room and looked up the stairs. Since Zoltan and Aeris had been leading so far, Risa decided she would lead, getting out her long sword, expecting that if they fought it would be in close quarters.

Reed followed her with his own weapon drawn. The stairs brought them into a very roomy hallway, it would still be pretty close quarters attack, but it was much better than the hallway downstairs.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Zoltan and Aeris followed, preparing their own weapons, just in case.

Upstairs was very dark, and Aeris paused a moment at the top of the stairs to light her lamp. It cast light enough that they could see around them.

"All right, off we go," she murmured. She headed towards a door on the west side of the hall and opened it carefully. It appeared to be a bathing room. A metal tub was against one wall, and against another wall were some buckets. They were all empty. A look at the ceiling showed no traces of spiders, spider webs, or anything remotely alarming.

"Nothing here," she told Zoltan, who had come in behind her. "Let's try the other direction."

He nodded and returned to the hallway.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:14 pm

By the time they returned to the hallway, Reed and Risa were already at the other door. Risa's hand was on the doorknob, ready to open it.

"From what we can tell with a walk around the hallway," Reed told them, "This should be the last room, unless there's another room in here."

"Well... let's see," Risa replied and opened the door.

Risa and Reed stepped in and it was clear the upper floor was dedicated just for the couple that lived here, as if they never expected to have children. There was a large four post bed in the north east corner and a large vanity desk in the south west corner. The large windows that were supposed to be in the north and east walls were covered by long thick velvet curtains. What colour they were was difficult to make out in the dark as the curtains were drawn.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:50 pm

Aeris stayed in the doorway while Zoltan moved to open the curtains and let light into the room. The room didn't seem to have any cobwebs in it, and in fact seemed pretty clear.

Aeris made her way to the vanity and checked it out. There was a large mirror on it, and a bottle, and various cosmetic items. She picked up the bottle, as it seemed to be the most curious item there. She realized, when she examined it, that it was a Perfume of Bewitching. She had heard of it, but never seen it before.

She tucked it into her bag, then, as an afterthought, took the rest of the cosmetics, too.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:57 pm

Before Risa or Reed could move to check anything else out something humanoid and black dropped down from the ceiling between the two and let out a piercing shriek. Risa covered her ears in fear and found herself in shock. Reed and Aeris, while they had been surprised by this were not as affected as Risa, unfortunately Zoltan was not so lucky.

The creature whirled around and wildly clawed at Risa, and fortunately missed widely. It kept its face forward, its hair covering it as if it was looking to the ground.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 22 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum