To the 'Town' on the Hill

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Re: To the 'Town' on the Hill

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:30 pm

Allen was bemused, but he didn't take offense since they had been traveling eight days together, he knew that Zoltan was kind of introvert. So he suspected he would have done this regardless (well he wasn't sure if he would have done this with Aeris or Reed).

"So Allen," Risa pipped up, "How long have you known Mr. Red?"

"Hmmm...." Allen murmured, "Probably since he came to Oak Glen about 30 years back, around there anyways. Quite getting on in years, hard to believe it's been that long."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:35 pm

"And how long has he been out here?" Aeris asked curiously, letting her concern for Zoltan fade slightly so that she could focus on those who were interacting.

The thirty years was already twice as long as she had been alive, or nearly, so she was really curious to know how long he had been out here alone.
Nara-pyon
Admin

View user profile http://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:45 pm

"25?" Allen seemed to guess, "He didn't live very long in town, only spent a few years before using his savings to have a home built out here. Granted, the kingdom helped with that."

"It did?" Risa frowned and wondered how Red would get the help of the kingdom for something like that.

"It's a precautionary measure," Allen explained, "Having large swaths of land unoccupied near the border means if trouble happens it takes a while before anyone finds out. There's the military of course, but it costs a lot to maintain an army, and they're also busy ensuring the laws are followed this far out. It is much cheaper to interview and carefully pick citizens who want to live out in the wilds, and then provide them with the tools needed to inform the nearest settlement quickly if something were to happen. The border guards come by to check on him once a month. Red's interview was the one and only time I saw anyone from the court before this far out."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:49 pm

"That's impressive," Aeris blinked. "I've never heard of a kingdom helping anyone to make a home anywhere before. I mean, it's not like I know much about most kingdoms, or like I have much experience. I mean, wow ... twenty five years, that's still very impressive ... I mean, that's much longer than I've even been alive ..."

She shook her head. "I'll stop now. I'm just rambling."

It was of course because she was surprised and impressed, but it was rambling nonetheless.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:55 pm

"Not that impressive, I'll be 63 this coming winter I believe," Red's voice interrupted.

He came back with a basket full of eggs, and large chunk of smoked meat and a large loaf of bread. Setting it down on the counter, his tail curled into a loop out of amusement of someone being amazed of 25 years of living out here. Though he suspected now that she must be quite young to say such a thing.

Red chuckled as he grabbed a large frying pan from the wall and went over to the fireplace to place it.

"As much as I love this kingdom, I won't deny my home was purely out of practicality."

"Though the expansion..." Allen noted.

"No, I paid for it on my own," Red explained as he set the basket down near the fireplace, "But the guards helped find the builders. I am hoping my daughter and what children she has left will join me here."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:13 pm

"Has left?" Aeris repeated, confused. "Did they leave home to go do their own thing? Or did something happen to them?"

Again, it wasn't until after the question was out of her mouth that she realized that it might be an insensitive question, and was actually none of her business, but it was too late to take it back.

She waved one hand back and forth quickly. "No, no, that's not my business, never mind, you don't need to tell me."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:16 pm

"No, no, it's fine," Red assured her, "Nothing bad has happened to him, at least I hope not?"

Red looked a bit lost at the moment, but he wasn't insulted by Aeris question. Perhaps a bit surprised, he paused a bit and took the time to hover his hand over the pan to check the heat coming from it before turning back to her.

"I take it you haven't been out in the world that long, perhaps from what of the isolated communities in another country? Or even this one? Not at lot of those out here, but they do happen on occasion like any place."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Aeris blushed slightly. "Well ... I suppose you could call it that. I come from a place about the size of Oak Glen, but it's different because it's only Dragonborn there. It's really rare that anyone leaves, I think I'm only the second or third to do so during my lifetime. Granted, I am young, but ..."

Since he hadn't been bothered by her question, she felt it safe to press a bit further.

"So do your daughter and her children live far away from here?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:53 pm

"My daughter is a traveling performer," Red explains, "She's always had musical talent, it was very difficult to give her the education she deserved. So she and troupe travel around, they're a good troupe, treats her and the children well from my understanding."

He began to crack eggs over the frying pan, and then taking a knife began to cut slabs of the smoked meat to add to the pan as well.

"She was already an adult by the time I came to this country, I had children late in my life, and she had her own life. If she had stayed in one place I would have tried to send money home, but now that I think about it, it probably wouldn't have ended well. Someone might have accused her of stealing it."

"Because she's in a traveling troupe?" Risa asked knowing that they sometimes didn't have the best reputation.

Red chuckled, "And I know from Allen you were born and raised here so I know where that question is coming from."

He gently shook the pan to make sure nothing was going to stick to it.

"Tieflings have a reputation," the alchemist explained, "For... being untrustworthy, it's the Infernal legacy left to us by whatever created us it seems. We don't have a country of our own, and are often outsiders wherever we go. And admittedly if people tell you, you're the unsavory lot enough, you come to believe it."

While the eggs and meat were cooking he took the bread and began to slice it.

"That's apparently what happened to my grandson, he decided out of spite to become the very thing people accused him of being, a thief. It's been a few years, but it has left it's mark, I asked her to come live in this country, I think a change of... environment would be good for the children that are left."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:49 pm

Aeris was briefly surprised by the idea of Tieflings being naturally and widely mistrusted, but then she recalled some stories she had heard as a child.

"I suppose even back home we've heard a few tales of Tieflings," she murmured sadly. "I always thought they were just stories, though. It's sad that an entire race is so mistrusted."

"A lot o' folk don' trust Dragonborn, either," Zoltan spoke up from his place by the fire. "Don' be surprised if ye go somewhere an' people don' want te talk te you, either."

Aeris blinked, totally surprised now. "What?"
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:58 pm

Red also expressed surprised at this, perhaps because he hadn't met many Dragonborn or he thought they were more respectable than his kind in the eyes of others. However, Allen and Reed were not actually surprised by this.

"Dragonborn are hard to read emotionally," Allen offered to Aeris, "Most people can't read your scales, and therefore can't read your emotions. In fact some find Kevan kind of intimidating, especially if that person isn't local to Oak Glen."

"It also has to do with the fact Dragonborn are supposed to be descendants from dragons," Reed added, "But most dragon stories are of them causing chaos, destruction, and even there's a story or two of them hunting down generations of an adventurer's line for some slight centuries ago."

Getting the plates, because the food would be done soon, Red commented wryly.

"So in other words, similar to Tieflings, a past that has little influence on our present causing the distrust."

"Pretty much, I assume it's not that bad in this country because of the Dragon Lord, I mean you can't have that kind of mentality when your ruler is supposed have Dragonborn blood in him?"

Reed looked over to Allen for confirmation and the half-elf nodded.

"This kingdom also has stories about good dragons, in fact it's in the founding mythos of the country itself."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:13 pm

"Well, then, I'm glad we came here," Aeris said, feeling a bit sour on the inside for the first time since leaving home. "It shouldn't matter where our races originated."

"Ye're right, lass," Zoltan said, turning away from the fire, a serious but almost angry expression on his face. "It shouldn' ma'er wha' race ye are, or where ye came from. All tha' shoul' ma'er is wha' ye do an' wha' ye've done."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:17 pm

Red took the pan off the fire and began to dole out portions of food onto the plates. He gave each person a slice of bread to go with it before handing out the food. There was a grim silence all around at the thought of distrust among the races.

Risa, who was breaking off a piece of her bread slice so she could dip it into the egg yolk paused, "Hey Aeris, do you want to hear the legend of the country's founding?"

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:15 am

Aeris nodded eagerly. "Yes, please! I know so little about it ..."

And especially if it had something to do with Dragonborn and dragons, she was very interested to know what it was!
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:12 am

Risa took a bite of her bread, chewed and swallowed a bit before starting her tale, "They say a long time ago the lands of this kingdom and beyond once belonged to a great empire that stretched from coast to coast. Like all empires though, it eventually crumbled and the lands became divided. Lords fought each other for each other's lands and power."

Reed paid close attention to this story, since it was one he did not know. Risa took a few more bites as she continued her story.

"One of these lands had a power hungry lord, it wasn't large, a person could ride across it in a day by horse, but he had visions of power, and in his service a powerful wizard. This wizard was cruel, and the common folk suffered under him as he used his magic to make life difficult for them. Then one day, a band of adventurers came into the town in which the lord and wizard lived, and with them was a dragon."

She motioned with her hands to make a very small creature, as if it could fit on her shoulder.

"They all saw the suffering of the town decided they would help the town by getting rid of the wizard. Now there's a whole story behind that, but I won't get into it right now, but they did defeat the wizard and drive off the lord. And while the people were happy that they wouldn't be tormented any longer they feared without the lord they would be sieged by the other lords surrounding this small piece of land. So the dragon, not understanding why people would want to attack a helpless place offered to stay and protect the town. As the people feared, others would come and try to invade the land but the adventurers and dragon held them off, and to prevent it from happening again took over the territory of any lord that attacked. Each time they did, the dragon would offer to protect those in those lands. This would become the basis for the kingdom that exists now. Now what happened to that dragon is anyone's guess, but most believe the Dragon Lord is a descendant of that dragon."

Risa shrugged as if to say who knows.

"You don't seem to believe it," Reed commented with a chuckle.

"There's a lot of holes in that story, that's why it's more of a fairy tale than anything else," Allen admitted, "It's more likely that our current Lord is descendant from a Dragonborn, and someone inflated that tale to a dragon."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:16 am

"But the Dragonborn are indeed descended from dragons," Aeris pointed out, feeling the need to defend the origin of her race despite her fascination with the tale. "So it could still be said that he is descended from a dragon, if only from further back in his family history."

She liked the idea of the tale, though, that the place was under the protection of a dragon and that it would take over and put under its protection anyone who tried to attack it.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:39 am

"That is true," Risa giggled, "But it's just... no one ever said how the dragon ended up having children. Then again, I don't know how the Dragonborn came to be beyond being from dragons. I think Kevan knows though..."

Which would make sense since he was a Dragonborn, but it still sounded kind of unbelievable in a way.

"It's a sweet tale," Allen agreed as he finished off his meal, "I think the main reason why people think it's just a fairy tale is that no one said what happened to that dragon. They just faded from the history books."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:35 pm

"The same might be said of many things," Aeris murmured sadly. "It's a pity, how much knowledge is lost over time."

She wished there was a way to find the lost knowledge, but aside from finding someone who had lived through it - unlikely - she wasn't sure how.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:43 pm

There was a silence that descended over the table, it was more of a thoughtful one than anything else.

"Yes, even elves, who are the longest lived race I believe," Allen commented, "Would lose a bit of their history after a while, but certainly not as much as humans and most other races, and certainly not like orcs."

"At any rate, it is getting late in the night," their host told them, "If you'd like, you can camp out in the sitting room. It's fairly roomy, there are spare rooms but I haven't had time to get the furniture yet for them so it's all bare, where at least there's a couch and the floor is covered by rugs in the sitting room."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:48 pm

"Thank you," Aeris smiled. "I'm sure it will be fine."

It was already better than what they'd been sleeping on for the past several nights.

So they cleaned up and brought their bags over and prepared to spend the night in the sitting room.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:59 pm

The next morning the group was awoken by the smell of oats cooking. The sun was already up, and since they were just starting the beginning of the summer months it meant that they had been asleep for longer than they normally would have been. It perhaps spoke to how tired they were all last night, probably the result of the cold and the rain from the night before.

In fact Risa tried to cover her face from the sunlight, but at this point she was awake enough that she knew she had to get up and get ready for the day. Whereas the smell of food is what woke Reed up.

Red was already in the kitchen, he was cooking oats (a porridge no doubt) over the fire. On the counter top was a potion bottles full of white liquid, there were six in total. In addition there was a small basket full of apricots, and strawberries, with about three small apples beside the basket.

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Zoltan was awake at the first sign of movement, but he remained lying quietly on the floor until others began to get up.

When Aeris woke, she smelled the oats cooking, and though it wasn't her favourite food, she found her stomach rumbling at the idea of a warm, home-cooked meal.
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Allen stretched like a cat and ran his fingers through his hair to get the knots out of his long locks. Getting up, he sniffed the air and could smell the oats. A good way to start a day he thought to himself with a nod.

Risa scrambled to her feet, paused and began to fold up her sleeping bag so it was ready to go when they were ready to leave.

"We've been out for a while," Reed commented as he looked through the window, "At least it's not raining."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon on Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:38 pm

"It'll still be a slow start," Zoltan growled as he cleaned up his area. "The way i' was rainin' las' night, the ground's goin' te be soft, which means some hard pullin' fer the horses."

Aeris looked out the window and just about had to squint as how bright it was outside. "Well, hopefully the sun will dry the ground quickly and help us along," she said optimistically. "And on the bright side, we've had a good night's rest. Better than we've had in a while."
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters on Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:53 pm

"Well, that's what happens when you travel in spring," Allen replied as he packed up his things, "Not that summer is going to be any better, it will probably very hot, or we'll get thunder storms."

So it was going to be a hard trip either way from the sounds of it.

"Fortunately there are a lot of farms along this stretch. So if we really have to, we could probably stay in someone's barn."

"Hopefully it won't come to that," Reed replied.

Allen chuckled and shrugged, "The joys of having all four seasons."

Kara Winters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next