The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A)

2 posters

Page 1 of 26 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 26  Next

Go down

Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A) Empty Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A)

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:58 pm

Four weeks after the group had left the mountains of northern Friesia, they finally reached the border of Dolerum. On their journey, they were generally left alone by the Fire Elves and ignored by what wildlife they encountered, and it was a peaceful trip. Though there was not a lot of wildlife, there was enough that they were never in want of anything to eat, and since the first night Daenis had made dinner for everyone, she had stepped in to help prepare most of the meals - and though Wren had given her an open invitation to spend all the time she wanted in the greenhouses to cultivate the herbs and spices she wanted, Daenis avoided them carefully. During that time, Amir's vocabulary had grown rapidly, though he still wasn't speaking full sentences.

That wasn't the only change that had taken place during those weeks. Andarien no longer practiced with a bow and arrows as his weapons: like Shoneah, he had taken to using a pistol, and both of them were now using a pistol of Andarien's design, capable of firing seven bullets without needing reloading.

Summer had also ended during their weeks of travel, and Autumn had begun. Despite that, the weather had grown warmer as they had traveled south: they were now in an area where there were plenty of trees whose leaves were in the process of turning red and gold, and when there was any precipitation, it came as rain, not snow.

The border, when they reached it, was clearly marked with posts, but was otherwise undefended. Despite that, Mailon did not seem optimistic about their getting in.

"Kyrie, do you have a way for the rest of us to cross the border?" he asked as they trudged forward.

Last edited by Nara-pyon on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A) Empty Re: Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A)

Post by Kara Winters Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:01 pm

Over the four weeks Miyuki worked on the stories she would tell and the illusions that she would use with them. It took a lot of collaboration, taking the knowledge of her mother and Shoneah to shape the stories and Kyrie and Lancerial's input to see how they would be received. She wanted to induce curiousity and wonder in her audience. Keeping in mind the kind of terrain and weather the country had, Miyuki chose places that were very different.

She thought about Amon Darthir with their rocky cliffs, the fierce rocs and mild climate, and Naruos with it's tropical climate, with large flora, and colourful bird. Though Miyuki would never considered herself homesick, she also decided to include the deserts of the Southland of her father. She wanted something from her mother, but since these were Dark Elves she couldn't talk about Barton, so instead with a lot of input from Shiro she made illusions of the bamboo groves from there. Though she secretly wondered if there was anything similar in this world.

Her stories were about travelers who sailed the seas (the country had a coast so it was possible). They would sail, she decided, to see what uncharted waters were out there. There they would see sea serpents and birds large enough to ride on. They would out run dragons they found in a mysterious crystal cave, (though unlike her and Andarien would actually get away). They would come upon an island filled with fruit they had never seen, and at it's center a mountain that belched smoke. When they finally made it to larger lands they would travel on foot to see any number of places.

She practiced these stories, often to her Pokemon and the last remaining Eevee, who she named Ryo, because he really needed a name and it sounded right to her. Miyuki even began to train Ryo, just because it couldn't be put off any longer. By the time they got to the border, Miyuki had her stories in hand, and had become well versed in illusions enough to make them on the fly.

Which was more than what she could say for her plant magic at the moment, though being able to make seeds sprout was something.

"Is there something about the border?" Miyuki asked as she let Ryo chase a bunny illusion as they walked.

Suki was trying to do the same but all she could make was sparkles with her magic.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:39 pm

"It is impossible to cross," Mailon told Miyuki with a frown. "I have met people coming out of it, but never have I been able to enter it."

"I'd forgotten," Kyrie said thoughtfully. They reached the posts that marked the edge of the border, and though Kyrie, Earendil and Daeron were able to cross without any difficulty, the others were held back as if by an invisible barrier, strong enough that there was no way any of them could break through it. Then Kyrie turned back to the others and smiled. "I have only had to bring someone through here once, and that was a very long time ago. The entire country is protected by magic, so that only those with dark elven blood can pass through it."

"And how do the others cross?" Earendil asked, his tone slightly irritated. He went back to stand with his family, refusing to be parted from them even temporarily.

Andarien put his hand forward and was surprised and curious when he felt a wall in front of him, like a massive glass barrier, impossible to see and impossible to penetrate. Kaede, adventurous as always, bounded forward as if there were nothing there and was soon by Kyrie's side.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:57 pm

"Well that's interesting...." Miyuki murmured, "Animals of course don't count, which makes sense."

She touched the barrier as well, but she had a interest in it from a magic standpoint.

"The amount of power though to keep something like this running...."

She wondered if her other form could get through, or if the spell was 'intelligent' enough to know there was a person trying to cross.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:49 am

"And again I ask, how does everyone cross?" Earendil repeated, looking at Kyrie pointedly.

Kyrie smiled. "Believe it or not, it's quite simple," she murmured. "Those of us with Dark Elven blood take responsibility for each of the others, individually."

Earendil looked doubtful, and Kyrie figured that the easiest way to explain would be simply to show them. Since Shoneah was closest behind her, she started with her.

"I, Kyrie, give you, Shoneah, permission to enter the country of Dolerum, and do take all responsibility for your actions while within the Dolerum border," she said clearly. Then she gestured for Shoneah to join her.

Shoneah hesitated a moment, then stepped forward. When she encountered no resistance, she grinned and joined Kyrie on the other side of the posts.

"Simple enough," Daeron murmured.

"Just remember that you are indeed responsible for everything done by the people you allow in," Kyrie cautioned everyone, keeping it general, though her eyes flickered involuntarily towards Mailon. "Everything. If someone is found guilty of a crime, they can and will use it to hold you equally responsible."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:55 pm

"I'm sure we'll be all fine," Lin assured Kyrie.

Though she had to admit that was an interesting way to encourage good behaviour.

Miyuki was more interested in the fact something that complex and large could be powered for a whole country to begin with. While the idea sounded simple, the actual logistics of ensuring only Dark Elves could cross and then allow other people in just by vocal words was very difficult.

It also implied that Dark Elves no matter the country was accepted, which was interesting because her father descended from a different set of Dark Elves compared to the ones here.

Also where was all this energy to power it coming from?

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:09 pm

Kyrie smiled at Lin. "I'm sure you will be," she murmured. One by one, she went through the same process for everyone, until at last, each and every member of their group was able to cross the border into the country.

"Maybe it's just me," Kaito commented as they started deeper into the country, "but isn't a border like that kind of overkill?"

"Depending on how safe you want to be," Wren replied. "Think of it this way. If we had something like that back home, would the elven children have been abducted and made into slaves?"

Kaito shrugged. "I guess not."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:19 pm

"Though it would have made trading really difficult," Lin commented, "Since you would need people to act as vouchers for the trip in."

"How does trading work for this country?" Miyuki asked now that her mother brought it up, "Do they not trade or are there merchants with special permission?"

It wasn't like this place was surrounded by other countries with Dark Elves.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:26 pm

Kyrie shrugged. "I haven't spent enough time here to say. To be honest, I haven't noticed any traders, not from outside the country. Though the way things are here, it wouldn't surprise me if they did any trading outside the country and didn't allow the traders in."

Daenis was confused by the talk of trade. "Do the people not have everything they need in their own country?" she asked curiously. "Are they so reliant on others?"

"Well, they could get by with what they have, rather easily," Kyrie replied thoughtfully, "but ... let's just put it this way. They can get things from other countries that would help them to live more comfortably or more conveniently."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:40 pm

"And some things that are traded are really luxury items," Miyuki added, "You might not necessarily need them, but they're nice to have. Things like spices, wines, fruits and vegetables that might not grow within one country, because of weather or terrain, or just because it didn't originally come from that country, are a luxury to be traded in another country. Same thing with raw goods, like different types of wood, fabric or metals might be found in one place but not the other. There is also made goods, which I like because what a country makes is influenced by their culture, but... to trade that unfortunately it has to be something either pretty special or unreproducible in the country you're trading in."

It was weird about how much Miyuki had come to know about this sort of thing, but she had researched quite a bit about what was trade-able and what wasn't.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:05 pm

Daenis nodded thoughtfully.

"What kind of items are usually good for trade?" she asked. "Things like Andarien makes?"

She knew that Andarien spent a lot of time in that one room, making things, often with Shoneah, but she wasn't sure what the others did. How did they get by, anyways? She knew they could fend for themselves when it came to food, but from the way Miyuki was talking it sounded like they were used to trading for things as well.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Miyuki nodded, "Andarien is a bit of unique case because he makes things that most places do not have, and do not have the expertise to re-create. So he could easily trade for things he makes without worrying about having to compete with local craftsman, or worrying about selling something that an area already has too much of."

It was kind of interesting really how it seemed like Caras Galadhon was the only place that had gears.

"For example, Caras Galadhon has gear technology as well, in fact that's where Andarien had his apprenticeship. So he might not be able to sell his items there or at least not sell them as well as he could in other countries where that profession doesn't exist as far as I can tell."

A gear smith did seem like something unique to that country.

"Normally though, raw goods are best for trade, because they are so dependent on location. Where other things often can be re-created by a master craftsman. Unless the profession or materials don't exist in the country you're trading in. Like..." Miyuki thought about it for a moment, "You mentioned how there were a lot of fruits and vegetables you didn't recognize, because they don't grow far up north. So in a northern country where those plants might not grow, I might trade those types of food and spices. At the same time, there are furs, and meats that are up North that just don't exist further South."

Lin joined in, "Now would also be a good time to point out, Miyuki's plan for trading is based off the fact she can make preservation boxes. So she can plan to trade for things most other people can't because of travel time and shelf life."

Miyuki grinned (if a bit sheepishly), "Well yes... there is that. Not everything we have though degrades. I mean there's the minerals that Eron keeps exacting to help make the gunpowder, and bath salts and I think he's been working on fireworks.... and Andariens gears... and... okay there's not a lot of things we trade that don't require a preservation array."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:14 pm

Daenis nodded. It made sense to her, even if she didn't know what some of the things were that Miyuki was talking about.

"Do you think I would have anything to trade so that I can help out?" she asked thoughtfully. "I haven't many skills, I know, but you've all been so wonderful to me, I would love to help you all out somehow."

She knew there wasn't much she could offer, but she wanted to try anyways.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:57 pm

"How about wait and discover what it is you'd like to do first?" Miyuki asked, "You can spend a bit of time with everyone and learn a new skill or just learn something new. A lot of us are still learning. Eron is learning more about Earth magic and I still have a lot to learn about Plant magic and runes. Andarien is always coming up with new things, and Shiro is always collecting information about where we've been. He studies everything because he wants to know everything."

After all they didn't ask for anything in return for taking Daenis away, and this was a chance for her to do what she wanted as far as Miyuki was concerned.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:05 am

A blush rose in Daenis' cheeks. "Well ... I tried going into the greenhouses with Wren ... did you hear what happened?"

She didn't think Wren was the type of person to spread stories about someone else, but she didn't know for certain. And it wasn't as if it was an embarrassing story about her, or something bad; it was just that she'd not reacted well to the heat of the greenhouses, that was all. Still, if Miyuki didn't know about it, she would explain. It just didn't seem to her as if she should explain if Miyuki already knew.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Miyuki blinked and shook her head, then again Miyuki was often busy with projects and training that she didn't always know what went on. In fact, she was the last person to know about Andarien using pistols and was quite surprised (though delighted) by the fact.

"No... at least, I don't think so."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:55 pm

Daenis's blush deepened, but she smiled widely and stroked Ira's head. The Glaceon was draped around her neck, his tail wrapped around her pale hair.

"Well, Wren thought that since I enjoyed cooking so much, that I might like to see where the herbs come from, where they grow," she explained. "It was all so fascinating ... the plants and the soil and everything ... but it was so warm in there, I'm afraid it made me feel rather ill. That's when Ira changed, I created a small flurry around myself to cool down and he was caught in it."

She shrugged one shoulder, careful not to unseat her companion. "So far it seems that the one thing I know I would like to do is out of my reach. It simply isn't cold enough for me in there."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:06 am

"Ah!" Miyuki nodded and then thought about it.

It did make her wonder though what would happen when they traveled farther south or once spring came in places that had milder weather.

"I see... I wonder how Mailon handles it, I sort of assumed he has traveled all over the place..." Miyuki murmured but since it seemed like White Elves liked the cold, she assumed Mailon would be the same right?

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:52 pm

"Shall we ask him?" Daenis asked, her eyes lighting up with eagerness.

Ira snickered at his mistress and squeaked at her, teasing her for how eager she was to talk to Mailon. Daenis giggled softly, a faint blush rising in her cheeks. "Well, I'd like to be able to handle the heat, too," she pointed out.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:22 pm

Miyuki tilted her head, wondering what Ira knew that she didn't. Pokemon, being close to their owners of course knew more than anyone else.

"We can right now," she agreed, "Maybe he has a trick."

Or maybe he just adapted, there was still a lot about Mailon in this life time that they didn't know about.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:39 pm

"Hopefully one that I can learn," Daenis murmured, looking around for Mailon.

He was, as usual, near the back of the group, and as usual he didn't seem to mind. Since they'd left the white north, he had changed his outfit and now regularly wore clothes of neutral colours - browns and greens - which, though they did nothing to hide his white skin and hair, did help him not to stand out so much, unlike Daenis, who just about glowed in comparison to the colours around them. While he wasn't included in any conversations at the moment, he was far from in his own little world: his eyes were constantly darting this way and that, alert for anything that might happen. One hand was on the handle of a sword, though most of the rest of his weapons were not in sight.

"Come on," Daenis smiled at Miyuki. "He looks available."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:53 pm

Well, at least as available as one could look, while looking like he was ready for a fight. Miyuki didn't know if this was because he was on edge being in this country or if it was because of habit. She knew that Mailon sometimes still had trouble engaging in conversation.

"Mailon!" Miyuki called out to the man once they were close enough for a conversation.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:03 am

Mailon's eyes snapped to Miyuki when she called his name, but he didn't seem to be taken by surprise. He smiled faintly when he saw Miyuki and Daenis coming towards him, and his entire demeanor changed. He relaxed and suddenly seemed much more approachable, even taking his hand off his sword.

"You need something?" he asked softly.

"Well, just a question," Daenis smiled at him.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:37 pm

"Daenis said that she's uncomfortable in warmer temperatures," Miyuki explained, "So we were wondering how you handled the heat."

Especially since they were eventually going to travel to places that had much warmer temperatures than what could be found far North.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:51 pm

Mailon's brow furrowed with concern, and he turned to look at Daenis. "How uncomfortable do the warmer temperatures make you?" he asked her softly.

"I tried going into one of the greenhouses and it was not long before I actually felt ill," the girl replied.

"Which one?"

Daenis thought about that. She hadn't considered that question before, simply because she didn't know the differences between the greenhouses. It had been a few weeks ago by now, and she had to struggle to recall what Wren had told her about it.

"It was ... not the hottest one, I think ... but not the coolest one, either," she murmured thoughtfully. "I ... cannot recall what Wren called it ..."

"Moderate?" Mailon suggested.

Daenis brightened. "Yes, that one. Moderate and dry."

Mailon nodded. "I see. Then your heat tolerance is not very great, I'm afraid." He grew quiet, trying to think of what might be done about it.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 26 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 26  Next