The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going through Gemia - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

Going through Gemia - 119 4A - Page 5 Empty Re: Going through Gemia - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:04 pm

Amir held Iorlas' hand and toddled along next to her as the four of them (plus Kaede) headed out for their little trip.

They had to ask directions to Holly's shop, and an early morning gardener pointed it out for them. When they arrived, Kaede bounded ahead and butted her head lightly against the door.

"Don't hurt yourself, Kaede," Iorlas giggled, reaching for the door handle with her free hand and pushing it open. She led the way inside with Amir and the energetic Leafeon, and Shoneah allowed Miyuki to enter before her as well before she went in and closed the door.

"Morning!" she called out brightly, deliberately sticking to English.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:23 pm

Holly looked up from her tatting. Perhaps a few years ago she would have replied back without thinking but it had been years since she spoke English. It was second nature as it use to be.

Setting her lace aside she came out from behind the counter and curtsied to the group.

"Welcome to my shop." she greeted the group.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:32 pm

Once more, Shoneah was disappointed. This time, there hadn't even been an indication that Holly had understood her.

"Thank you," Iorlas smiled warmly at her. "My name is Iorlas, and this is my son, Amir. I understand we missed a visit from you and a friend last night."

Amir slipped his hand out of his mother's and toddled up to Holly. He stared up at her curiously and hooked one finger on his lip; and after a moment, he broke into a wide smile and waved slowly to her with his other hand.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:53 pm

Holly smiled wide and waved back to Amir. He was to cute to her, and clearly no fear. Looking back to Iorlas she nodded.

"My friend Rose wanted to visit late last night. It's not normally appropriate for young women to go visit complete strangers, so it had to be late night." she explained to the group.

She motioned for the group to come to the counter so she could grab her catalogs.

"So my understanding you'd like some clothing from here...

Miyuki nodded, "I saw a lot of different styles yesterday, so I'm not sure what would be good."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:19 pm

"I am also learning to tailor," Iorlas added softly, following Miyuki towards the counter. "I know we're only going to be here a few days, and that's not enough time to really do much, but do you suppose I might spend some time with you, learning some techniques or patterns? I'm rather new to it myself, to be honest."

Shoneah hung back a bit to watch and listen, hoping to learn more about the girl.

Kaede was sniffing a circle around Holly, looked up at her and cocked her head curiously, then started sniffing a bit at the air.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:25 pm

"Of course," Holly smiled, "If you're comfortable, you're free to sit in on some of the lessons I give the apprentices, though I would understand if you'd like some private lessons instead."

She reached for one catalog as she said this to only stop herself from grabbing it. It was a catalog that she had never shown other clients because she felt it was too different for those around to her to understand where the style was coming from. For Miyuki though, she thought it would suit.

However, she wouldn't be able to do a full dye job on such a design in a few days. She moved her hand back to the standard classic lolita catalog. Those designs she could finish in a few days because they didn't require prints. It would also not raise any questions. Taking her classic catalog she went back to the counter.

"This is a standard catalog, they're simple designs but they can be made in a few days," Holly explained as she opened the book.

They were all pretty standard skirts, and long sleeve shirts.

"At the most basic, you wear a colour a skirt and then a white or off white long sleeve shirt. Often there's lace at the bottom of the skirt but for clients who can't afford it they have frills instead."

As lace was expensive, it required extra work.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:40 pm

Shoneah saw how Holly had been about to reach for one catalog and had changed her mind and taken another, and though she reasoned that it could be possible that it simply contained more complicated patterns that would take too long to make, it still reminded her of her suspicions again.

"Holly, I have to ask," she said abruptly, crossing her arms over her chest. "No, I have to state. You were surprised but not shocked to see us when we arrived, your eyes showed hope instead of fear or suspicion. Our races are not surprising to you. Yes, Rose wasn't suspicious either, but she was amazed by what she saw. You weren't."

"Shoneah," Iorlas frowned at her, putting one hand out to try to stop her. "What are you-"

Shoneah took a deep breath. "Sorry, Iorlas, I couldn't wait. It's been bugging me since we first saw her at the plantation. And I wanted to get it out before someone else showed up here."

She looked back at Holly. She had been able to tell how badly Holly had wanted to keep her secret - at least around others. She hoped it was just around others and that she wouldn't be too upset by Shoneah's accusation.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:51 pm

Miyuki was also wincing because that was a bit too blunt for her liking and didn't want to offend the few people who actually wasn't suspicious of them.

Much to the kitsune's surprise though Holly just laughed. Normally Holly wouldn't think it funny but since Shoneah had pulled that English stunt last night she figured it was only a matter of time before she was called out on it.

Instead she leaned over on the counter, placing her elbows on it and smiled at the elf cattily.

"Yes well not everyone asks if one can speak English," Holly replied in English, though hers was accented from years of disuse, "And for the record I also speak French and a bit of Italian."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:02 pm

Shoneah wanted to shout triumphantly, but she refrained herself and simply grinned and nodded.

"Sounds like it's been a while since you've used English," she commented, still grinning. "What's your story? Clearly you're Gaian. Fell through a tear between worlds and happened to land in a country where you're like the people who live there? You've managed to settle in nicely."

Kaede trotted back to Amir and nuzzled his side and yipped something about a different smell about Holly, something that the other humans didn't have. Almost like Shiro and Kaito, that kind of smell.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:11 pm

Holly smiled sheepishly, "Actually about that..."

Miyuki happened to over hear what Kaede was saying and now that Kaede mention it, Holly's posture was very much like Kaito's when he got into something and was pleased about it.

"I would like to tell you, but I would actually like to tell your whole group," Holly admitted, "See, I'm not mortal, and have already been here for nearly ten years. In fact I've known Rose since she was about 14, I can't actually stay here for much longer. Also... I need a place less... she tilted her head to the window, "Public."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:20 pm

"Then you are welcome to come to the tent whenever you have the opportunity," Iorlas invited her. "If you need a pretense to come on your own, you could always say you need to take measurements. There are people watching over us, so I'm sure no one would talk. You seem a respectable businesswoman."

"We'll make sure everyone's around," Shoneah added. "Just let us know an approximate time."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:30 pm

"I can go later in the early afternoon," Holly replied, "I just need to leave before Rose gets off work, or gets out of work."

Rose tended to hang around Holly a lot, but she needed to do this without Rose. Poor girl, she would be the only regret Holly would leave behind. Though Holly had always intended to leave Rose with enough so she wouldn't have to worry about marriage provided it was invested correctly.

"You two seem quite close," Miyuki couldn't help but comment.

Holly smiled a bit wistfully, "This town doesn't do well with foreigners even those who appear to be human. While I'm respectable now, I wasn't when I first arrived and it took a lot of work to get to this point, but Rose was the first person who accepted my presence. In turn I accepted her quirks, granted I see no issues with her quirks as a Gaian but she's not a very proper person in terms of the society."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:43 pm

"So I presume that it was her idea to come visit us so late at night?" Shoneah laughed. "Sounds like a friend from back home."

Her smile turned wistful. "Wow, I miss them. It's been ... about a year now. I guess it's been getting easier, but I still miss everyone awfully. How long have you been here?"

She couldn't imagine starting a life here. Her one and only goal was to return home. To simply find a place where she could blend in and to bide her time - she could have done that in Wolsic, easily. Or Illsbruic. But the thought hadn't even occurred to her.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:59 pm

"It's been..." Holly paused and thought about it, "Ten years since I arrived in this world. At first I thought I would find a way back home, but... I was just a student of textiles back home, and not even finished my undergrad. So it's not like I would have gotten very far..."

Holly knew no magic, had no martial art or weapon skills. Her family was pretty ordinary, doing ordinary work like being a chef, or a mechanic, or in her case a seamstress.

"A student of textiles?" Miyuki had never heard of that study.

Holly laughed, "Yea, next to my preference of clothes it was the only reason why I settled here so well. I already knew how to knit, tat, crochet, sew, felt, so on... I handled all sorts of fabrics, and learned different dye methods. I even learned how to make kanzashi, really when I say I hadn't graduated, I hadn't finished my graduation project. I was in the middle of that when I came here."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:10 am

Suddenly the bell above the door tinkled and Celia walked in.

"Oh!" she exclaimed in surprise when she saw the foreigners in the shop. "I ... ah ..."

"We're so many people, you should probably just come to where we're staying to measure us all," Iorlas told Holly, making the switch in language and topic of conversation smoothly. "And if you could bring your catalogs, I'm sure they would like to see what kind of options you have. My nephew, especially, I think."

Kaede trotted over to sniff at Celia, to determine whether or not she was a threat to her young master. Celia looked down at her, frozen in surprise.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:13 am

"Of course," Holly replied with a nod, "I'll come later on in the day when I have less customers."

And can leave an apprentice to run the shop, perhaps the one she intended to hand the shop over to. Holly then turned to Celia, only to see the woman frozen in place.

"Kaede, stop bothering her," Miyuki told the Pokemon.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:21 am

Kaede turned her head to look at Miyuki, and she yipped back that she wasn't bothering the woman, she was just checking her out.

Iorlas nudged Amir, who was watching the whole thing, and Amir looked up at Iorlas, then over at Kaede, and called his Pokemon to his side. Kaede obeyed, but she kept looking at Celia over her shoulder until Amir sat down against the counter and hugged the Leafeon to his chest.

Celia swallowed hard, her eyes on Kaede, then cleared her throat and took a hesitant step forward.

"I ... I was just going to ask if you had some time to make another set of work clothes for Rolph," she said hesitantly, "but ... it can wait ... if it's easier ..."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:25 am

Holly shook her head, "I can take you now."

She looked at the group a bit apologetically, but Kaede was scaring Celia and Celia was a long time customer.

"We can discuss further about clothing later," she told Miyuki.

"Of course," Miyuki agreed, "Come on, let's look around a bit more before heading back."

When Miyuki said a bit more, she meant around town of course. Holly mused that maybe she would bring that other catalog with her when she went to do measurements.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:39 am

"I'm all for that," Iorlas agreed. She reached one hand out towards Amir. "Come, Amir, time to go," she smiled at him.

Amir pouted up at his mother and hugged Kaede tighter. He had just gotten comfortable!

Iorlas raised one eyebrow and kept her hand out. "Amir," she said firmly, calmly.

Kaede nosed Amir's cheek, and the boy pouted again and let the Leafeon pull him to his feet. Iorlas reached for his hand right away, and then the group bid Holly a warm farewell and left the shop.

"So that was interesting," Shoneah commented thoughtfully as they headed down the street again. "So she is Gaian. She has even more to tell us. She's been here ten years."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:41 am

"I can't imagine just being in one place for ten years," Miyuki admitted.

That had been a surprised, though sadly it might explain for Holly's warm welcome when they arrived. Not to mention, what did she have to do to fit in a place like this? Assume she came from a place similar to Barton, the difference between here and Gaia was really stark.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:53 pm

"I've done it," Iorlas murmured sadly. "I can't say it was a good experience for me ... but then, I was alone, more or less, and Ioreth made it ... rather difficult ..."

Shoneah tilted her head curiously at Iorlas. "Ioreth?" she asked, fully aware of how similar the name was to Iorlas' own.

"My sister," Iorlas smiled faintly. "It's a rather long story."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:24 pm

Miyuki nodded, she only remembered a bit from when she was little having met both sisters.

"Come on," Miyuki urged them, "Let's see what else this town has so we can tell Kyrie. Besides... I want Holly's appearance and story to be a surprise for everyone else..."

Because she thought that would be funny.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:37 pm

The four of them (plus Kaede) explored the rest of the town for the remainder of the morning. They found all kinds of shops: clothing, fruit and vegetables, butcher, carpenter, tanner, blacksmith, candle shop, and on and on they went. For a quote unquote "small" town, it seemed to have everything the people would need.

Including an entire area of town that was nothing but massive mansions.

And of course, on the far end of the town, an area of huts and lean-tos where the poorest of the people lived.

At length, however, it was time for them to return to the tent, and they could only hope that Holly had not arrived there ahead of them.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:49 pm

Holly hadn't, only because she had to bring on the appearance of taking all her measurement tools and catalogs with her. On a whim, she also grabbed the catalog she avoided earlier, even if she couldn't do the dye job she could at least make the clothes.

Though it would annoy her sensibilities if it had to remain plain.

Grabbing her over the shoulder bag, Holly trekked back out to where the group was staying. It was strange going during the day, but she had an excuse at least.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:12 pm

"Oh, there she is!" Iorlas beamed as they approached.

Amir waved his free hand, as his other hand was still tucked into his mother's. She had carried him off and on, but now that they were heading back, he was quite happily back on his feet. Kaede bounded ahead to greet Holly, who was approaching from the opposite direction. She ran a circle around her, yipping her excitement to see her again.

Shoneah giggled. "Well, it looks like we're not the only ones looking forward to seeing her again." She waved.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next