The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going through Gemia - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Going through Gemia - 119 4A - Page 15 Empty Re: Going through Gemia - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:51 pm

"Well, I won't pretend I understand all that," Gerald admitted, "but I think I get the gist."

Christine noticed suddenly that Andarien looked upset, and she wondered what might have caused it.

"I think we've taken up enough of your time," she murmured. "Perhaps we should move on."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:05 pm

"Let's... go check out the gardens," Miyuki offered.

She also noticed Andarien's mood and knew very well it would be difficult to track down as to why he was upset. Andarien at times didn't know himself. The kitsune ushered the two out, and she really hoped they would run into Kyrie soon.

While it was understandable why Gerald was interrogating everyone, it was getting really tiring.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:17 pm

There were six gardens to check out and only one of them was occupied at the moment. In the garden of warmth with only moderate humidity, Mirania and Lamruil were enjoying a conversation with Wren, Khetal and Kyrie. The five of them were standing under the shade of the tree that had been grown for the Light Elves to live in, and their conversation was punctuated with laughter.

By this time, the garden had been well developed: there were rows of vegetables, herbs, spices, fruit trees and more, and all of it was well-tended and flourishing. It was a testimony of Wren's care that it was doing so well. There were even flowers growing in neatly ordered spaces, bunched by type and by colour to look like any nature-lover's garden.

Gerald and Christine were more impressed by the gardens than any other area of the tent they had sen so far: to create the outdoors indoors was rather magnificent, they both agreed.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:36 pm

Miyuki was delighted to enter the moderate warmth garden to find the group chatting there.

"Hey!" she waved at them, "We have guests!"

She was glad to find more people, and Kyrie!

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:40 pm

The five of them turned at the sound of Miyuki's voice, and all of them waved and called greetings.

"Come on over!" Mirania called out brightly.

"This must be Rose's parents," Kyrie grinned. "We were told to expect you this morning."

Gerald introduced himself and his wife, and then added, "And you are?"

Kyrie introduced the five of them, adding in a bit of information about each of them - where they were from and who (if anyone) they were related to.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:50 pm

Miyuki let Kyrie do all the talking in this case. She took a seat beside Wren, because she figured that Rose's parents had questions for Kyrie that would be important.

She had a rough idea of what those questions were, but wasn't sure in what form they would take.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:01 am

"So Kyrie," Gerald said cautiously, "I understand you're the leader of the group?"

Kyrie smiled and shrugged one shoulder. "I wouldn't say leader," she replied amiably, "but rather ... guide. I've been traveling the continent for hundreds of years and I have experience in every country. I also am well able to defend the group in case of ... well, many things."

"Our daughter has expressed a desire to travel with you all, to accompany Holly to ... wherever it is she wants to set up her shop again," Christine spoke up. "I'm sure she's already told you that we're hesitant to let her go."

"Understandable," Kyrie agreed. "She's your daughter. Your eldest, if I'm not mistaken. And it is a dangerous world we live in. That being said, we've yet to encounter any danger we've not been able to handle."

"Yes ... Miyuki did tell us about your ... helping out in a country," Gerald murmured disapprovingly.

Kyrie smiled. "That was an extenuating circumstance. But we've also faced an adult female dragon defending her brood and come away unscathed. If it's the danger you're worried about, I can assure you that we are well equipped to keep Rose quite safe."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:09 am

"There are also protections on this tent to keep it hidden if we're in dangerous territory," Miyuki added, "We try to avoid incidents whenever possible."

It was just, things seemed to happen, big and small but she wasn't going to mention that.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:16 am

"But what about when you reach a destination where Holly decides to stay?" Gerald pressed. "It goes without saying that Rose will stay with her, but what if it's a place that is dangerous for two young women alone?"

He didn't add that just about everywhere would be that kind of place in his eyes.

"Or what if Holly doesn't choose anywhere in Gemia and decides to go on to another country? How will Rose get back to us, or how would we hear from her again?" he went on. "Not to mention, what kind of guarantee do we have that she will be safe from all of you people? There seem to be a fair number of unmarried men among you, from what I understand."

Kyrie had been smiling all throughout his concerns, but at his final comment, she couldn't help but laugh.

"Unmarried men, yes," she agreed, "but none who would pose any kind of threat to any young woman, let alone your daughter."

"That's not what I mean," Gerald countered with a shake of his head. "I mean, you people clearly have no issues with ..." He sniffed. "Intermarriage. What guarantees would we have that Rose wouldn't take part in any of that?"

Mirania coughed to cover a snicker, and Lamruil commented under his breath, too quietly for the humans to hear, "Aside from her following her own set of values?"

Wren's thought was simply that if the parents weren't going to see Rose again - which was quite likely, if Rose was going to with Holly all the way back to Gaia - what did it matter?
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:38 am

Miyuki tilted her head, and while she would like to help Rose and Holly in anyway she could. That was one topic she was going to have to be honest about.

"We can't," Miyuki said simply, "We certainly would never force our own ideals onto her. If she wants to marry another human, then that is her choice, but it would be hypocritical of us to forbid her from marrying someone who is not human. Mother certainly can't say anything, grandmother is an angel, and grandfather is human."

Which might sound suggestive that Lin herself was half human and half angel, but that (probably) wasn't the case.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:57 am

"We won't make choices for anyone," Kyrie agreed. "The one guarantee we can make is that no harm will befall her no matter where we are, and that we will do our utmost to make sure that wherever Holly and Rose end up, they will be safe, and we will not leave them until they are safely on their feet."

She made no promises as to where they might be - Gemia or otherwise; but she had no trouble with promising to look after the girls.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:13 am

Miyuki hoped that would put Gerald at ease, but he seemed so suspicious of everyone she was worried he wouldn't agree at all. What would Rose do then?

Holly still couldn't stay, it would be too dangerous for her here once people figured out she wasn't human.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:24 am

Gerald still didn't look convinced, and Wren smiled and stepped forward.

"Sir," she said softly and respectfully, "I know I've only met your daughter a few times, but she reminds me of myself in many ways. My own father was loath to let me leave home and travel, and that was even with the expectation that I will be returning home after this trip is done. I understand your position - it is much like my father's was. But I would also like to speak to you from the other side, from Rose's side."

She paused a moment to gather her thoughts before she spoke again.

"Fears such as you have are not unfounded, it is true," she began, "but at the same time ... you ought to remember, as my father needed reminding, that there is always risk in everything that we do, even when we are at home. To disallow anything because of fear would leave us bored and alone. Going to work can be dangerous. How many people who work in mills are crushed by their own millstones? Or lose a limb? How many fishermen are drowned when their boat sinks, or when they fall into the water? Marriage can be equally daunting. When a woman marries a man, does she truly know him? There are people who change after they are married - perhaps he begins to drink, or becomes violent, or ceases to take care of his family. That also is a risk."

She smiled at him. "I do understand that travel is quite the risk to take, especially with a group of people that you do not know. But do not think only of yourselves, and of your fears - think of Rose. She understands the risks, I know, and yet she is willing to face them for the sake of supporting her best friend. For the sake of adventure. For the sake of - perhaps - finding someone whom she will wish to marry. Yes, it would be safer for her to remain here, but that would require a great personal cost on her behalf. Her happiness, at the very least. And if you are anything at all like my own father, then her happiness is something that you desire more than almost anything."

She didn't just say 'anything' but 'almost anything' because she was certain that there would be a few things that might come ahead of Rose's happiness for her parents. Her safety for one, perhaps a social position for another. Maybe even marriage. But if those fears could be at least addressed, then perhaps they could see fit to allow her to search for her own happiness.

Both Gerald and Christine looked slightly uncomfortable after Wren's little speech, and then looked at each other thoughtfully.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:46 am

Miyuki remained quiet during this and didn't add anything to the conversation. This was something she had no experience over, and while she was technically old enough to marry, because she and her brother grew so fast no one was in a hurry to have them married off.

That and her mother figured, like the rest of her family, it would come when least expected as it usually did.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:54 am

When the silence stretched on, Khetal decided to add his own little insight.

"It might also be wise to consider how badly Rose wants this," he suggested quietly. "I don't know her at all, but I do know some people who, when denied their hearts' desires, simply disappeared in order to achieve them."

At that, Gerald and Christine looked at each other in alarm. They were both perfectly aware that their daughter was liable to do just that: run off without their blessing.

"I have told Rose," Kyrie spoke up, "that unless she has your permission, we will not allow her to travel with us ... but that does not mean that she will not follow us on her own. She seems rather determined."

"That is true," Christine admitted quietly.

Gerald let out his breath slowly. "It's just so ... sudden," he murmured. "We've not really had a chance to think about it. To let our daughter go, perhaps forever ... it's ... it's not a decision we can make without warning."

"Unfortunately, we are welcome in your town only until tomorrow," Kyrie replied apologetically. She shrugged. "That is all I can offer on the matter."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:50 pm

It was sad they couldn't stay longer, but they were only being allowed in this town on consideration as travelers. Miyuki couldn't offer any other suggestions on the matter.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:55 pm

"But that's why you're here, isn't it?" Lamruil spoke up curiously. "To see whether or not you'd be comfortable letting Rose travel with us."

"Or travel in general," Wren added.

Christine smiled sadly. "She always did want to get out of Valdell," she murmured softly.

"Well," Kyrie said with an encouraging smile, "this is her chance to travel safely. I won't say her only chance to travel safely, I don't know that for sure; but probably her only chance to travel safely, and while she's young enough to start a new life somewhere else."

Rose was human. Unlike the elves, she was limited in what she could do, and when. If she didn't leave now, while she was in her early twenties, then she might as well write it off for good.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:59 pm

This was true, it was a fact that was easy for Miyuki to forget. She was rarely around true mortals for long periods of time. There was her great-grandfather Long, but he was always active and himself that it was hard to remember that he and great-grandfather Daemon would one day grow old and pass on.

She looked back to Christine and Gerald, wondering if they would need to think about it a bit more.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:02 pm

Gerald and Christine were looking at each other in silence, and both of them looked rather sad. Christine arched one eyebrow slightly at her husband and reached for his hand, and Gerald let out a sigh, his shoulders slumping defeatedly.

Turning back to the others, he set his jaw and nodded once, barely perceptibly.

"You've convince me," he murmured, his voice dry. He swallowed hard. "She may go."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Whatever joy there would have been was tempered by their sadness. Miyuki though offered this.

"I make another room and finish it by this evening, it won't be much, but if there's anything you'd like her to keep or take with her, she can then keep it there," the kitsune offered.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:30 pm

Christine smiled faintly. "Thank you," she murmured.

"Perhaps we should find Rose again and let her know so that she can pack," Gerald suggested to his wife. "And then we can spend one last evening with her."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:44 pm

"They might still be back in Holly's room, but we can pop into the sewing workshop on the way to see if they're there instead," Miyuki replied.

The sewing room had been there since Iorlas had taken up the profession, but Miyuki had to expand it for Holly, adding another room for dying fabric and more storage space.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:49 pm

Gerald turned to Miyuki and nodded. "If you would be so kind, then," he said, a little bit gruffly. It was easy to see that he was fighting his emotions, which explained his tone.

Before they went, though, Christine turned back to the others and murmured, "Thank you all ... in advance, for looking after our Rose."

The others all smiled and murmured something the lines of 'you're welcome' or 'it's nothing', and then Gerald and Christine went with Miyuki in search of their daughter.

"Oh," Kyrie called before they left. "If you need any help with carrying anything, just come get us. We'll all be happy to help."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:32 pm

As Miyuki had said, they first peeked into the sewing room to see if the girls were there first. Indeed, the girls had gone from planning Holly's room to planning the sewing room. Mainly because Holly was thinking about what she could make that wasn't fit to order, and could be sold.

Which was really things that weren't clothes (unless they were cloaks).

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Iorlas smiled warmly and welcomed Rose's family into the sewing room. Rose had been listening to Iorlas and Holly talk shop, but now she turned to look at her parents. She bit her lower lip anxiously and held her breath, hardly daring to hope.

Iorlas laughed softly. "Well, it seems Rose is eager to know whether or not she will be accompanying us," she smiled at Gerald and Christine.

Gerald motioned for Rose to come closer, and when she did, he put his arms around her and hugged her close.

"We have decided that you may go," he murmured into her ear. "But promise us one thing."

Rose's eyes were bright, and she was suddenly filled with energy. "Anything, Papa," she breathed. "Anything at all!"

Gerald looked as though he might cry. "Just be careful," he murmured. He hugged her again. "Come back home with us now and spend the day with us ... we'll help you pack your things. Miyuki has promised that she will have a room ready for you this evening, and we will be able to move your things in then ... so just spend the day with us, and tonight ... because after tomorrow, we may never see you again."

"Oh, Papa, don't talk like that," Rose giggled. "Things will be just fine, you'll see."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next