The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A - Page 6 Empty Re: Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:15 pm

"That's a realllly nice room," Miyuki murmured rolling the L as she did so in 'really'.

She wished Holly was around, the neko, having a good number of well to do clients would be better able to guess the worth and status of all those items than Miyuki could.

"I wonder, does she offer such rooms to all her hires, or is Wren just special?" Lin wondered aloud.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A - Page 6 Empty Re: Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:23 pm

"Pity we can't ask her," Kaito murmured wistfully.

Khetal leaned forward, an idea hatching in his mind. "I wonder ... do you think there might be a mirror in that room?" he asked, glancing at Miyuki. "It looks well enough furnished ..."

Kaito blinked at Khetal. "What are you thinking?"

"Well, Wren uses a mirror to contact her father," Khetal pointed out.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:52 pm

"Hmm...." Miyuki mused on this, "The concept would be the same. Only, instead of us contacting her father, we would be contacting Wren. Khetal is right, if there's a mirror in her room, then we could talk with her, and seeing how it seems to be decked out with everything else, it's hard to imagine that room not having a mirror."

After all, it was just one more expensive thing to show status and wealth.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:56 pm

"According to Wren, we don't need to know what the mirror looks like, only the room," Khetal went on. "And you need magic to activate it ... that's why I can't do it ... but ... all three of you have magic, right?"

Kaito blinked slowly. "You know," he mused, grinning cattily, "I never thought about it before. I guess I must have ..."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:59 pm

"Really?" Lin was surprised, "And yet you pester Shiro about his research into magic, or lack thereof all the time."

"But it's Shiro, I think that's a bit different," Miyuki replied, "So... who wants to grab Wren's mirror? She did leave it here right?"

It would be easier to use one that is already set up for it, rather than to find one (and they were running out of mirrors) and make it anew.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:04 pm

"I'll get it," Khetal offered, rising from his seat. "I know where she keeps it."

Having sat in front of it many times now, it would be more bizarre if he didn't know where it was.

He was back very quickly, holding the cubit-high mirror carefully with both hands.

"Have you done this before?" he asked them in general, setting the mirror on a chair where it could be propped up safely.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:32 pm

"Only once, and that was a long time ago," Miyuki admitted, "Normally Wren or Lanceriael is around when the mirror is active, and I've never used it personally so..."

She understood the concept of how to do it, but to do it without supervision was something else.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:39 pm

Khetal nodded and gestured towards the mirror. "All yours, then," he invited her.

He took a step back to give Miyuki space to start the communication between mirrors. While she did so, he glanced back at the mirror that showed Wren still lying on the bed of her new room. She hadn't moved since lying down, but he wasn't concerned.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:42 pm

Miyuki glanced at the mirror to take in the details of the room. She was relatively sure no one was going to walk in on Wren, but they would have to be careful.

Then, putting her attention back to Wren's mirror, she pictured the room in her mind's eye. That is, she made herself focus on the room itself and all it's detail. Fortunately, years of meditation, made this relatively easy, the only difficulty she had, was that she had never been in the room. So all of her knowledge of it, was by sight alone.

Putting her hands on the mirror, she focused, and watched as the mirror came alive as it were in her hands.

"Wren?" Miyuki called softly and hesitantly.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:49 pm

Wren had been dozing lightly, but now she jerked awake at the sound of her own name. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and looked around.

"What ..."

Khetal chuckled. "Mirror, Wren. We saw you were alone, guessed that there would be a mirror in your room, as nicely furnished as it is, and here we are." His eyes softened. "It's good to talk to you again."

Wren sat up and ran her fingers through her short hair, grinning. "It's only been half a day," she teased him. She let her breath out slowly. "Any news?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:52 pm

"None from our side," Lin replied, "We've been watching everything that has been happening so far. It's been... enlightening."

"And confusing," Miyuki admitted, "Have to admit, didn't think the person would be a woman. Not that a woman couldn't do those things, but you know... it's not what you'd expect. Especially since everything around you is so... flashy."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:01 pm

Wren laughed mirthlessly. "Tell me about it," she muttered under her breath. She sighed. "Her name is Mara, and she fancies herself a businesswoman and nothing more, though she readily admits that the very much enjoys the finer things in life."

She paused, lowering her eyes, and then, looking up again, added, "She saw clear through me almost immediately. I haven't given her my name, but she's well aware that I'm not a man. She's quite happy to keep my secret, though ... I think she likes the idea of having another woman about. She's already made me one of her personal bodyguards."

She ran her fingers through her hair again. "Apparently I made quite an impression with those dogs they sicced on me."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:19 pm

"It's also more convenient for her that you're female," Lin added, "Male bodyguards with female clients tend to be a bit more awkward. It's good though, she's impressed with you, and possibly, considering what people would consider typical gender roles, she probably relates quite well with you..."

Lin trailed off, it was interesting that the woman considered herself a businesswoman.

Miyuki pipped up, "Some of us theorize that there has to be something of great worth in the area the mercenaries were in, since her location and theirs is too far apart for it to be simple land expansion."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:25 pm

Wren shrugged. "I have her congratulations on making it so far as a female in a male world. As to something of worth in Eausin, I have no idea. We spoke for a while, but not long enough to get into her business ventures. For that matter, I'm not sure it's something she would share with her employees. She's very chatty, but at the same time, very tight-lipped."

Rather like Caranthir, when she had known him at the ranch, as she recalled.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:34 pm

"Probably not..." Lin murmured, "Kyrie said she couldn't think of anything in that area that is worth anything, but it was Dareon who pointed out that we did find Littium in the neighbouring country."

"But who knows," Miyuki added with a shrug, "All we can do is wait and make note of the area you're in and the people there. We'll tell the others that we now have a way of contacting you, so transferring information on the mansion and the grounds should be easier now."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:53 pm

Wren nodded, smiling faintly. "And it makes me feel better as well," she agreed. "But just do me one favour ... let me initiate from now on, all right? I can hear whether there are people in the hallway or not and have a better idea of whether it's safe. Plus," she added, lowering her tone, "apparently Mara's room is right next to mine. So we do have to be careful."

Which was an understatement.

"But the mirror you're using, it's in the foyer?" she asked, just to be sure.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:54 pm

"Well... we got your mirror and brought it to the foyer," Miyuki explained, "It was just easier that way. Can we keep this one in the foyer as well?"

Since it was Wren's mirror after all.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:01 pm

"Yeah, I don't mind," Wren assured her. "I just need to know for when I contact you, that's all. Visualization of the room it's in and all that, after all."

She paused for a moment, listening, and then, in a quieter voice, said, "I should go. I'll get what information I can and relay it when it's safe."

"Be careful," Khetal murmured.

She grinned at him. "Of course. Just don't storm the castle without letting me know, all right? I need to keep up appearances but if something happens that isn't you guys, then I really will have to protect her."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:06 pm

"Fair enough," Lin replied with a smile, "We'll talk to you later then."

Whenever that would be, they were lucky they were able to talk to Wren at all right now.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:53 pm

Over the course of the next few days, the travelers watched Wren as she got to know her way around the place. She was introduced to various people, was given a grand tour of the mansion and ground (and it was indeed a grand tour: two different art galleries, the most luxurious bathing room Wren had ever seen - which was saying something; a master bedroom that made Wren's room look like a slum, and so much more). The grounds were even more extensive than Wren had seen on her way in: it was more than twice as large behind the mansion as it was in front of it. There was a pond large enough to go boating on, and apparently that was something Mara enjoyed.

After the first few days, Mara started keeping Wren closer to her, which made for a rather interesting experience. Wren was supposed to be a bodyguard, but she felt more like a paid companion.

"She's still pretty tight with the information about her operation," she confided to the group of travelers in the tent one evening via the mirror in her room. "I still don't know if everything would stop if we were to take her out. I still don't know the full scope of it. About the only thing I do know now is that what was going on in Eausin was not all she was invested in."

She was getting a little frustrated with the lack of progress, but she didn't know what else she could do.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:03 pm

Lin nodded slowly, watching Wren had been 'educational' to a degree. The amount of luxury in such a place was borderline uncomfortable.

"I suspect unless she begins to trust you more, nothing short of rifling through her study will yield any additional information," Lin murmured, "Provided she doesn't have an amazing memory like Shiro, she will need to have kept records of all her investments and plans."

She sighed as she said this.

"But that is way too risky, especially since she seems to really like you..." Miyuki added cheerfully.

Lin snorted, "Not a surprise, the kind of workers she needs means majority of them will be male, and being female she has to keep a strong appearance. Part of this luxury she has is probably to impress those she hires."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:02 pm

"And even if there were something in her study, I wouldn't be able to read it," Wren pointed out. "The runes here are unique. And even if I could learn them, I wouldn't be able to learn them well enough to recognize what I'm looking at at just a glance."

So really, at this point, it wasn't even worth the risk of breaking into the study.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:59 pm

"If Eausin had been her only 'investment'," Lin murmured, "It would be easier to just gather enough information about the area to take it down, but with her having many others...."

"It leaves too many other people in danger since we don't know what else she's doing," Eron finished.

The former science teacher was there for this conversation, just because he was curious after hearing about this from Miyuki. He had to admit, it did all look impressive, even from a Gaian point of view.

"But...." he continued, "She couldn't be keeping track of this all by herself. She appears to be the type of person who likes to enjoy her time, which means spending lots of time behind a desk won't suit her. She has to be delegating some of it, to someone else."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:15 pm

Wren sighed and put her face in her hands. "Look, I have to be honest," she murmured quietly, looking tired. "When I volunteered for this, I didn't think it was going to be this long. I don't mean that I want to quit, I just mean that I want a tangible goal. Something I can actually do. Right now I'm babysitting."

"Is there anyone here who might be able to help you out?" Iorlas spoke up. She was playing with Amir on the floor, and she had been eavesdropping on the conversation. "I mean, I'm sure someone here must be able to read their runes ..."

"So, what, I just ask how she keeps everything organized and ask if she needs any more help with it?" Wren asked sarcastically. Almost immediately, she grimaced and shook her head. "Sorry. It's not your fault I'm like this."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:23 pm

"None of us thought it would go on this long," Lin admitted, "And honestly we can't have it going on for this long. We'll need to hunt, hunting will put some of the people here at risk, and you being there is an on-going risk. We're not set up for a long term project like this."

Miyuki sighed, this was like when they were spinning their wheels at the fort in Eausin, "So then what?"

"Well... really we should get Kyrie's input, see if it's worth at least dealing with this person now. Yes, it won't stop her other investments, as they're probably on-going at the moment, but the point of this trip was to stop the person behind it, and show others why this kind of work is ill advised. If we want to, instead find out what these other investments are to stop them, then we're going to need to come up with another plan because you can't stay there for a long period of time and we can't stay here for a long period of time," Lin replied.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next