The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A

2 posters

Page 18 of 34 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 26 ... 34  Next

Go down

A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A - Page 18 Empty Re: A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:47 pm

"Do you need any help?" Miyuki asked, "I'm not in a hurry."

So she could take a time out and help with making more if Takari needed it.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A - Page 18 Empty Re: A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:07 am

"Oh, not right away," Takari smiled at Miyuki. "You finish your breakfast first, and when you're ready, then I would welcome the help."

"Do you have any plans for today?" Shoneah asked Takari curiously.

"I'm not sure," Takari admitted as she searched the cupboards for a large mixing bowl. "I suppose Mother and I shall likely work on some warmer clothes again, or some baby clothes. We've finally finished our rooms, I think, and Tehlmar is occupying himself with furthering his training." She smiled. "He is very determined."

She looked around for the ingredients, and Shoneah twisted around in her chair.

"I haven't gotten around to putting anything away yet," she told her. "Everything should be towards the end of the counter. Just there."

She pointed, and Takari found it all and brought it closer to the bowl.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:50 pm

Once Hikaru was finished his breakfast, he brought the plate over to the sink to clean it. He wondered if it was too early in the morning to go look for Kaito and Cael. He knew Cael was probably with Lancaeriel this early in the morning.

But he might as well get it over it, putting things off wasn't something he tended to do.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:59 pm

Kaito was still in bed - not surprising for him - but Cael and Lancaeriel had just finished getting ready for the day and were just leaving their rooms and heading towards the foyer, with the intention of continuing to the kitchen or dining room in search of breakfast. There were others making their way to the dining room as well: overall, it was about the time that most people would begin to be up and about.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:32 pm

Holly had waited for Shiro before heading to the kitchen, though she was tempted to wake Kaito. He really shouldn't be sleeping so much, on the other hand it might be best to let him sleep.

Once the dish was clean, Hikaru thanked Shoenah again for the breakfast before seeing if he could get the chance to get Cael or Kaito before they got to the kitchen.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:45 pm

Shiro met Holly in the hallway outside his door and greeted her with a warm smile and a soft, "Good morning."

"Good morning, you two," Lancaeriel said as she and Cael came up behind them on their way to the dining room. "Kaito's still abed, I suppose?"

"Always," Shiro chuckled. "You know how he is." Then, as an afterthought, he added, "I think we're all still recovering from ... well, a bit of a crazy week."

He hadn't had much chance to spend time with Holly - not meaningful time, anyways - what with helping out with the people they'd rescued, and he was looking forward to being able to spend more time with her again. Turning to Holly, he asked, "Do you have any specific plans today?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:51 pm

"Not really," Holly replied, "Probably will help with the winter clothes now that I got a small project done."

She smiled cattily at him because she had presented the golden spider silk vest to Shiro after their first meeting with Huron. It was as she had hoped, a gold vest, lined with black spider silk and embroidered with black silk thread of some flora leaf design. She thought it quite suited him.

Meanwhile, Hikaru was in the main are (right outside the dining room) wondering if he should try the residence hallway or just stay here. He wasn't sure if the two were early risers or not.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:58 pm

Shiro grinned back at her. The vest had taken him completely by surprise, and he had been quite impressed with it. Who knew? Maybe someday they would end up somewhere with a festive or formal enough occasion to wear it somewhere!

"Need any help?" he asked her cheerfully.

Since they were in front of Cael and Lancaeriel, they were the first into the foyer, and Shiro waved a greeting to Hikaru while still leading Holly towards the dining room.

Cael and Lancaeriel saw him, too, but after the week they'd experienced with him, they had a bit of a different reaction. Cael, who had eventually begun to feel rather insulted by the way Huron so obviously was ignoring him all week, had eventually decided to do the same, and pretended like Huron wasn't even there. Lancaeriel of course was far more tender-hearted, though equally confused as to why Huron would act the way he was when he was so kind to almost everyone else, so while she wasn't terribly inclined to speak with him, she did smile softly at him and give him a nod of acknowledgement.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Hikaru smiled back at them all, and gave a regular good morning to them all. He paused for a moment when he laid eyes on Cael. Taking a moment to gather himself, he made his way over to Cael. He wasn't going to wait for Cael to acknowledge him, because he saw pretty quickly that Cael was giving him the same treatment.

Fair enough though.

"Cael, I owe you an apology for avoiding you all week," the hidden kitsune told the man out right, before sheepishly admitting, "When Kyrie asked about it, I realized I had been set on edge by something really small the first time we met. So I had avoided you to avoid being put into a situation I didn't want to be in even though logically it wouldn't have happened."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Cael and Lancaeriel both stopped when Huron came over to speak to them, and it was hard to tell who was more surprised by the man's apology - Cael or Lancaeriel.

The two of them exchanged a look, and then they both looked back at Huron.

"I'm afraid I really don't understand," Cael frowned. "As much as I would like to, I don't know if I can accept your apology until I do understand."

Lancaeriel bit her lip to keep from speaking. She didn't like Cael's reply, but it was a fair one - because if this was because of what she suspected it might be about, then Huron hadn't accepted the apology she had made on Cael's behalf either. But would he really hold such a grudge for Cael agreeing with Kaito in another language?
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:09 pm

"I was put on edge when you and Kaito switched languages on me and I couldn't understand," Hikaru explained, "It's ridiculous I know, seeing as you meant no harm by it, but most of the time I've never had a good experience when people switch to a language on purpose to one I can't understand."

He paused and then really thought about it.

"Actually until now, I can't remember a time where someone switching languages didn't end with me being arrested, hunted, run out of town or mobbed. Though... to be more fair to you, it's only happened a few times, it stopped after I started using illusions to get around. But, that was how I felt at the time and it just stuck in my memory. So, I just really didn't feel comfortable being around you, and didn't allow myself to really think about it."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Cael's thoughts slowed, but his emotions changed faster than most peoples' minds. He was struck with disbelief, anger, incredulity ...

"Cael," Lancaeriel said softly, placing one hand on his arm and looking up at him. She was worried about him. Even if she could understand (somewhat) how he felt, she didn't want him to make things worse again.

He was still processing what Huron had said, though.

"I'm not entirely sure it happening only a few times makes it more fair to us," he said quietly, putting his hand over top of his wife's to keep his fist from clenching. "And while I do understand why it might have put you off at first, I do find it hard to believe that you would still feel that all week, even after having gotten to know us."

Lancaeriel tugged on his arm, and he took a deep breath, calming himself.

"If I may make a suggestion," he said, still quiet but more calmly now, "it would be this. I can forgive you for this, since you did not know us and clearly underestimated us, despite what really ought to be obvious by the variety of people living under the same roof without any problems whatsoever, but in the future ... however long you may be with us ..."

Lancaeriel poked him sharply in the side.

Cael winced but went on. "... if there's something that's bothering you, or that you're not sure you understand, or that you're confused about or uncomfortable about ... just ask. Seriously. Just ask."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:53 pm

Hikaru didn't know why, he couldn't quite pin it down, but he suddenly felt like maybe this whole traveling thing was just a really bad idea. After all it wasn't like he really missed home (okay maybe he did a bit, but he didn't even know if he wanted to go back). Besides, he hadn't had the heart to tell Cael that he wanted to travel with them.

Hell, he suddenly didn't even have the heart to tell Cael he wasn't even an elf, because as a Gaian he should know better right? Clearly Cael didn't believe him, didn't believe that Hikaru just hadn't been thinking. Actually, Hikaru couldn't believe it himself that he hadn't been thinking. It wasn't like the first century of travel had traumatized him or anything (it had a bit but he wasn't admitting it), and it wasn't like he had tried to be himself and gotten into some really bad scraps (he had but he had laughed it off afterwards). He was suddenly struck with memories of his first century here, something he tended to not think about, and often tried not to. When he realized what he was doing he clamped it down, hard, reminding himself, lecturing himself that it was fine, not all places were like that, people were wonderful and if he had really stopped being a baby about it he could have lived in Caras Galadhon with that family he saved.

It was right then he realized he was letting his mental thoughts get away from him. It had been at least a century and a half since he had done that. Really, what was wrong with him?

He smiled sheepishly at Cael, "I'll do that, I promise. I know I haven't had a chance to get to know you compared to everyone else here, and I hope to fix that as well."

Or... a little thought occurred to him, you could just not travel with them. Being alone isn't so bad. Hikaru was determined to trample that thought down, he promised himself he would live his life unafraid and to the fullest when he realized he couldn't go home. Though he supposed he wasn't really doing that well on that promise.

"But I'm sure I'm keeping you from breakfast, sorry again for all the trouble," he added trying to hurry himself, "I'll see you later I hope?"

In his effort to hurry and not hurry at the same time he gave a deep formal bow that Shiro would have recognized as someone making an apology before Hikaru bid everyone a good day. He then explained he had a few things he needed to do (lie) before leaving the tent.

He didn't know why this was bothering him so, but it was. At the moment he felt his apology to Kaito to wait as he briskly walked towards an area away from people. He needed a run, that's all he needed and then he would be fine again.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:03 pm

Lancaeriel hung her head and sighed sadly as Huron hurried off. She hoped he would be back again, that Cael hadn't frightened him off.

She hadn't had any unchangeable or important plans for the day, and once she and Cael had eaten, she sent him to check the gardens or do whatever it was he was going to do for the day, and she herself put on her cloak, took her bag with a small journal and a pencil, and made herself comfortable outside the tent - only, of course, after she melted snow away from a spot for her to sit down without getting wet.

Her plan, such as it was, was to wait for Huron to return so that she could - yet again - apologize on Cael's behalf, and explain, hopefully more comprehensibly, what he had meant and where he was coming from. It bothered her that things were going this way - Kyrie had spoken so warmly to them about Huron, and aside from his silent treatment of Cael and Kaito this week, he had seemed quite nice. She really did want to get to know him.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:33 pm

The nice thing about illusions was that they could hide you, not just disguise you. It meant he could be, not just himself, but be his animal form. Kitsunes in fox form were fast, once upon a time they were hired as messengers before motor vehicles were a thing. Flopping his foxy body on the ground, ignoring the snow, Hikaru allowed himself to breath and think.

Placing his head between his paws he wondered why he thought this was just a brilliant idea. Akhshi was angry with him, Cael was angry with him and Kaito would probably be angry with him. He couldn't blame any of them for doing so, he was the moron who avoided them all in different ways and couldn't come up with a good reason for any of it.

Except maybe if he thought about it, really thought about it, he would have realized he never left survival mode. Even with the safety illusions brought him, he never stopped living as if his survival depended on his way of life. Despite having some wonderful memories living here, it was always tainted with the constant calculation of which persona he was in, which route he was going to take and what he was going to tell people when he met them.

All he could think at the moment though was he ruined nearly two centuries of good will for no good reason. It wasn't like he was sure he even wanted to go home, too many centuries had passed. Did he even know how to act like a normal person anymore? Even if he could be himself, he could be himself without looking over his shoulder needlessly? And why was he being so angsty?

He hadn't been this angsty since his 50th-ish year here when he had figured he wasn't ever going back to Gaia.

"Probably because I'm a moron who can't even figure out why I do things the way I do them," Hikaru huffed mentally to himself.

Because it was stupid, he didn't know why he discomfort was so great that he had to avoid people until someone else pointed out how stupid it was. Even though all he could remember from his first conversation with Cael was the questions, the tension and the smell of chai. Actually, why was he so depressed about Akhshi all of a sudden? He laughed it off just fine last night, but he did tend to laugh things off and take them as they were.

Hikaru covered his eyes with his paws and grumbled in his head, "I swear, if I just developed some sort of mental breakdown I'm going to be very unhappy with myself."

Even though he also knew this too was stupid. As someone trained in diagnosis, he knew no patient would ask for any sort of problem, much less a mental one. Deciding that laying there in the snow was not going to help him. He gathered up the energy he didn't feel he had and got up to walk back to the tent. Slowly turning back into his humanoid form and only dropping his hiding illusion when he was close enough to the tent. He was surprised to find Lancaeriel sitting outside the tent, though it wasn't that cold outside.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:39 pm

Lancaeriel was quite into her work, but even so she could sense when Huron was approaching, and she set her pencil down and looked up at him. She could see that he was troubled, and he also looked wet and a bit miserable.

"Huron," she murmured pityingly, closing her notebook and standing up. "Are you all right? Come here, let me dry you off."

She gestured for him to come to her and prepared to use magic to remove the water from his clothes.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:53 pm

Hikaru blinked and looked down at himself. Why hadn't he illusioned himself to look dry? His brain sluggishly told him it was because he didn't think it was necessary. He knew full well that he had long hair under his illusion, and he couldn't think if he should take her up on her offer or not. For a moment he stood there, a bit blankly as if he hadn't quite registered the offer.

Until finally he kicked his brain into gear and picked one.

"Yea, sure," Hikaru smiled a bit as he said this.

Even though she hadn't asked him if he wanted her to dry him off, but rather if he was fine.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:57 pm

Lancaeriel didn't come close to touching him, but merely used her magic to dissipate the water that was on him.

"I hope it's all right," she murmured when he was dry again, "but I was waiting out here for you ... hoping to talk to you. To apologize yet again on Cael's behalf, and perhaps explain a bit about his reaction. He's always been a bit quick-tempered ... and I'm afraid that may be the result of my influence on him when we were young."

She smiled ruefully. "Perhaps he just needs time to grow old again."

Stepping away from him once more, she looked at him hopefully. "Can we talk?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:24 pm

"There's no need to apologize," Hikaru assured her, "I'm sure he found it very insulting my reason on top of the fact I had avoided him. It's only natural."

Though clearly it bothered her, it shouldn't or maybe she wanted a better explanation from Hikaru. He hoped not because he wouldn't be able to explain it. There was no logic really.

"And.. .sure... we can talk."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:48 pm

Lancaeriel smiled and stepped aside, making space for him on the grassy area she had cleared so that they could both sit. It might not be the most private of places, but it was definitely more private than the tent would be, and they were outside the city, so it was about as private as it could get.

"I just wanted to ... well ... reassure you, I suppose," she began. "Please, don't judge us all by Cael's reaction. You are very welcome to stay with us for as long as you want. Admittedly, with no one understanding why you were avoiding Cael and Kaito. Now that we know, I can assure you that the others will understand. Even Cael will put it behind him, once he thinks about it a bit."

She paused briefly to gather her thoughts.

"I think ... a part of why he was so upset was just the idea that you thought - even if only for a while - that he, or we, are the type of people who would treat people the way you feared we would. And when he stops to think, I'm sure he will realize, as I have, that you must have experienced such treatment before - possibly multiple times - to have such a strong reaction to a few words in another language."

Of course, this was only guesswork on her behalf, but she was quite certain she was correct.

"Perhaps," she added, "it will help you to understand when I tell you that Cael is - was - Prince Caelamondorion of Garnelia, stolen from his family when he was just a few days old, raised by the General. The General, I'm sure you heard, was a terrible man, and he would take every opportunity he had to get what he wanted. He murdered a large portion of his own population. He tortured and starved his own people for no reason at all. He felt threatened by anyone traveling through who might ... well, either challenge his authority, or bring word of his treachery to other countries."

She looked at him. "I'm sure you've noticed Earendil's disfigured face. He was captured for no other reason than that he was traveling, thrown in prison because he is a prince of another land, and tortured because he would not say who he was traveling with. His sight and hearing are vastly impaired as well. It was Cael who cared for him, secretly, while he was in prison, without the General's knowledge, and against his express orders. Earendil was lucky to have survived. So when Cael learned that you feared he might be anything like the General ... I think that might be why he was upset, just the thought of being compared with people like the man who raised him. It was not your fault, I know, and I know that he will also understand. But I felt that you should understand as well."

Gesturing towards the tent, she murmured, "Almost everyone among our group has an event in their past that they are fleeing or trying to forget. Whether they are running for their lives, or making up for misdeeds of previous lives, or searching only for a place where they can be accepted ... the one thing that absolutely everyone has in common is that their one and only wish is to help others. There are no secrets among us, and no one judges anyone else. And in one of the countries we recently visited, we were given no choice but to ..." She hesitated. Murder was such a strong, intentional word, but what else could she say? "... to kill Makaela's husband ... and as terrible as even that was, she made the decision to leave him to his fate because of his decision to actively aid in the systematic murder - no, massacre - of innocent people, and to accompany her daughter, and us, in hopes of something more."

She fell silent then, and stared at her hands, pressing her thumbs together.

"Anyways," she concluded softly, "I just thought you should know where we're coming from. Why ... even when we do things without thinking ... you will never need fear anything from us, unless you, too, turn out to be as soulless as some of those we have met - which I do not believe will be the case." She smiled warmly at him. "If it were, Kyrie would not be so fond of you."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:01 am

Hikaru chuckled weakly as he ran his hand through his hair. It was official, he must have some sort mental scar he wasn't aware about before. Though he was well aware self-diagnosis was frowned upon in the medical community, but it was all he had.

"Kyrie is amazing," Hikaru murmured, "Thanks, for the talk. I wish I could say that's that, but I had known, some logical part of me that decided to not be present that you're all great people. Like you said, Kyrie would not be fond of all of you if that wasn't the case. I just seem to be making a number of illogical choices the past week or so."

Maybe it was the stress, but he never considered himself a stressed person. Though he supposed change could be stress, after all he was going to travel with a bunch of people, as himself and try to be normal. Somehow that thought didn't seem to calm him at all.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:11 am

"Logic always abandons us when we find ourselves in situations that remind us of past events," Lancaeriel smiled at him. "Especially when those events were highly unpleasant. I don't know what you're keeping to yourself, and it isn't my business, and I will not pry ... but I would like you to know that if ever there is anything that I, or anyone here, can help you with ... you need never fear. For everyone here, our aim is only to help."

She stood up and patted his shoulder lightly, then looked around briefly and spotted Kyrie and Ahkshi coming towards the tent. She waved a greeting, and both of them waved back.

"Morning, both of you," Kyrie called out cheerfully. "Beautiful day, yes?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:26 am

"Morning," Hikaru called back, "Slept well?"

Kyrie seemed to be in a really good mood, and while it wasn't a bad thing, Hikaru wasn't sure if he could match it at the moment. Still, he couldn't help but smile a bit.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:35 am

"Oh, I always sleep well when I'm home," Kyrie grinned.

"I hope you'll excuse me," Lancaeriel said apologetically as Kyrie and Ahkshi drew near, "but I've been outside for a while now, so I'm going to go inside and warm up. I'll see you all in there."

"See you," Kyrie replied warmly.

Ahkshi smiled and gave a small wave as Lancaeriel went inside.

"Actually, that's perfect," Kyrie murmured when Lancaeriel had gone inside.

"I w-w-wanted to t-talk to you," Ahkshi told Hikaru as he and his wife reached the tent. "About last n-n-night ... I'm s-sorry. You d-did what you had to d-d-do to survive. Who am I to j-j-j-judge?" He smiled at Hikaru and held a hand out to him. "Am I f-forgiven?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:03 am

The weight that had been holding Hikaru felt like it was bubbling up to his throat. Despite the fact it wasn't an action he did often, he took Ahkshi's hand and then pulled the man into a hug.

"Of course my friend," Hikaru replied.

Now he just had to learn to calm down and then maybe he could get somewhere.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 34 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 26 ... 34  Next