The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A

2 posters

Page 32 of 34 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

Go down

A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A - Page 32 Empty Re: A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:41 am

Miyuki turned to the boy with a small smile as she bent down slightly. Not that she had to bend down a whole lot, elves were very tall as adults, as a result elven children were not as short as say human children.

"We're setting up some baked sweets, and a spice display," Miyuki explained.

Then she motioned the children over to show them what was in the box. She actually had helped from Hikaru on these ones as she needed ideas of what to make. As she wanted to make things that highlighted the last areas they were in.

"I have some small fruit tarts, spiced shortbread and cream puffs," she explained.

The fruit tarts were mango tarts which she cut and arranged to look like a rose (actually Hikaru did that because he knew how to do it saying he had done it for apples and would show her that recipe in the future). The spiced shortbread, was shortbread that used the same spices used for chai. Technically it was a chai shortbread cookie in the shape of a tea bag but the kitsunes knew the reference would be lost on anyone else. The last one was special, the cream was infused with coffee and the puff top was dipped into chocolate. Miyuki didn't like coffee so she had to test it on Kaito to see if it was any good.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A - Page 32 Empty Re: A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:48 am

The boy followed Miyuki and watched, his eyes filled with curiosity, as she explained what everything was. The girl stayed a step or two behind him, shyer than he was, though there was a look in her eye that indicated she might be trying to decide between staying with the boy or grabbing his hand and running off with him.

When Miyuki finished her explanation, the boy looked up at her and hesitated.

"But ... why?" he asked, not yet understanding.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:54 am

"Because I find food is a good starting point to getting to know people," Miyuki replied with a grin, "I'm a storyteller actually. That's how I really make my living, but I also like to show people that there's more out there, than the place they live in. All these sweets are made with ingredients you can't find here because it's too cold here, or it can get too cold here for part of the year."

Hikaru finished setting up the display of spices and ingredients used were surrounding each of the baked sweet displayed.

"Would you like one?" he asked them.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:45 am

Sticking his tongue out in concentration, the boy reached deep into his vest pocket and dug around for something. After a moment, he pulled his hand out again, looked at his palm, and then held it up to Miyuki, his expression hopeful yet doubtful as he presented her with a single copper penny - the lowest denomination of coin in any country they had yet seen.

"Is this enough to have one?" he asked, his red eyebrows pressing together.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:19 pm

Miyuki bent down and smiled, "How about this, you both can have one, and if you stick around to hear one of my stories. If my story is worth the time spent, then you can give me that penny."

Because after the last few countries they were in, Miyuki felt opening up people's minds to what is out there is far more important than money. Besides, the group was almost self sustaining, and if she could get people to warm up to them enough for the others to sell their wares then it was all worth it in the end.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:39 pm

Finally, the girl who had been with the little boy ventured forward to join him from where she had been keeping an anxious eye on him. She looked only a few years older, though they shared many similar features.

"So ... we only pay if we like your story?" she asked, her voice filled with doubt. Could she really believe these strangers? "But we get the snacks anyways?"

The little boy turned and looked up at her. "Why does Mama say they're not good people then?" he asked her quietly, clearly not meaning for Miyuki and Hikaru to overhear his comment.

The girl just shrugged.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:48 pm

Hikaru tried to look busy with the display even though he was finished. It was hard not to hear with kitsune ears and children were never quiet as they thought they were.

"Yup!" Miyuki nodded, "I find food is a really good way to get to know people. No matter what race you are, everyone eats and everyone has foods they grew up with."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:21 am

Miyuki's comment seemed to confuse the two children, but the boy simply reached for one of the spiced shortbread cookies and took a tentative bite.

"When will you tell the story?" the girl asked, eying a fruit tart.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Miyuki thought about it, normally she would wait a bit longer except it seems a lot of adults just wanted to avoid them at the moment.

"Well... how about a short one right now?" she asked.

Her mind was already thinking about where they have been recently.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:25 pm

The boy nodded eagerly, crumbs falling from his cheeks as he did so, but the girl looked around briefly and pointed at another stall that was nearby.

"Can I go get our brother first so he can listen, too?" she asked, looking back at Miyuki, since she had been the one to offer to start the story immediately.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:50 pm

"Sure," Miyuki nodded, "The more the merrier."

And it would give her a bit longer to think, which was always welcomed when one was story telling.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:10 pm

Without hesitation, the girl turned and ran off, leaving her little brother behind, munching on his spiced shortbread cookie. In a matter of seconds, she was out of sight; but the little boy didn't appear to be worried in the least. He just watched Miyuki and Hikaru with enormous green eyes, staring unabashedly, oblivious of the crumbs that lined his lips and cheeks.

It was only a minute before the girl was back, dragging a tall, muscular man behind her, holding one of his hands with both of hers.

"... and we only have to pay if we like the story," she was explaining to him as they approached. "But the cookies are free anyways, so you might as well come."

"Talila," the man sighed, "really?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:14 pm

When the little girl said brother, Hikaru wasn't expecting such an age difference between the two. Then again, considering the life span of elves, it really shouldn't be a surprise. Besides, for all he knew, the man might be only a bit over a decade apart, which was perfectly normal even among humans.

Miyuki giggled as she watched the two, "I promise it'll be interesting?"

She added to 'Talila's' conversation helpfully.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:19 pm

The man arched a skeptical eyebrow at Miyuki, but rather than making a comment, he simply reached for a fruit tart, as his sister had done.

"Can we sit down to listen?" Talila asked Miyuki, her tone eager.

The younger boy didn't even bother waiting for an answer; he plopped himself down right at Miyuki's and Hikaru's feet and looked up at them, his eyes wide and eager.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:44 pm

Miyuki just had to giggle again, because it was all so cute. She then nodded to Talila, "Feel free to take a seat."

Once the trio were settled, Miyuki began to summon some illusionary sparkles. Really, she didn't need sparkles to start her illusions, but it added a bit of flare and gave people unaccustomed to this kind of magic a bit of warning. Creating her usual 'viewing circle' she launched into her tale about a traveling group making their way through a thick forest full of trees, plants and animals not found in this country.

She spoke about them coming upon a bay of water that led to the ocean. So there was water as far as the eye could see, and how the group decided to settle here for a while as a break. With the backdrop out of the way she launched into a very simple story of meeting Water Elves, and how the traveling group and Water Elves came to cautiously know each other and then discover how much they were the same, but also how they were different.

She was careful to weave the story to show the other's point of view. How misunderstanding, and curiousity could occur. After all, the sea meant everything to Water Elves, if they could breath underwater they couldn't return home, and that was unthinkable. It was a feeling anyone could understand, and so they didn't care to spend more time on land than necessary, and so didn't see the joy of living on land. Likewise, the traveling elves could never breath underwater, so they could never see what the depths held. Plants and animals, they could only imagine, and as such could only view the home of the Water Elves as an abstract thing.

And Miyuki did show how abstract the thought could be, because she herself didn't know what was under the water, which she was always slightly sad about. As she bounced around between the two points of view, showing land and water, the two groups eventually went from cautious to good cheer as they found things they had in common. They had families, and loved ones, and no matter the age, children still loved to play. In the end, the two groups agreed to continue to meet as long as the traveling group was there, to learn from each other about worlds they didn't or couldn't interact with normally.

That wasn't really what happened, and Miyuki admitted the rumours about other settlements being destroyed put a damper on that visit in real life, but she hoped that, one day, that is what two different groups would do instead of eye each other out of suspicion.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:57 pm

The younger two children listened, rapt with attention, to the tale, oohing and aahing in just the right places, but their older brother kept his skeptical look throughout. He didn't even bother to sit down, and though he did seem momentarily impressed with the sparkles and then the illusions, the story itself did not seem to make an impression on him.

"Did that really happen?" the girl asked when Miyuki had finished. "I've never seen people like that before! But then, I never saw people like you before, either."

"They looked funny," the little boy giggled.

The older brother just snorted.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:16 am

"The meeting of the Water Elves... yes," Miyuki replied with a smile, "Everything after that, not quite, the ending is more of what I would wish for the future. I did learn quite a bit from the Water Elves, and we did talk on good terms. There just wasn't as much curiousity towards us as the story conveyed, but that's actually pretty normal in most places we've been. And actually the lack of curiosity is one of the better reactions I've ever received. Not the best reaction I've received, but no one was threatening violence at me for being me, so I consider that a win!"

Hikaru gave Miyuki a look, and he wondered if she sometimes put in the extra effort on purpose to look on the bright side of things.

"What?" Miyuki blinked at Hikaru, "It is!"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:39 pm

"So your story is just that, a story," the elder brother challenged Miyuki.

The younger brother looked up at the man, his eyes wide. "But that's what she said she was going to tell! A story!"

"And I think it was a good story," said their sister, taking the coin from her little brother's hand and holding it out to Miyuki. "Here."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:44 pm

"Thank you," Miyuki replied as she took the coin, "I'm glad you liked it, and I hope you liked the sweets. The fruit for the tarts and some of the spices came from that place in the story. It's always warm, or hot there, and often humid depending on the time of year."

She didn't at all seemed to be bothered by the elder brother, but... Hikaru figured Miyuki was use to it by now.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:50 pm

"Can we take some home to let Mama and Papa taste them?" Talila asked Miyuki hopefully as her older brother shook her off and started to leave. "I'm sure they would like it, and maybe then they'll come for a story tomorrow, too!"

"Will you tell more stories tomorrow?" the little boy asked, his eyes filled with hope.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:54 pm

Miyuki nodded, "Of course, and... let's see... what are we doing tomorrow?"

"Besides studying," Hikaru murmured, referring to Miyuki's magical studies, "Not much."

"Then I think it'll be a yes!" she answered the little boy.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:00 am

The little boy's eyes glowed with excitement, and he clapped his hands together. "Thank you!"

"Yes, thank you," his sister agreed with a warm smile. She reached for one of each of the snacks, and with a slight dip of the head, she and her little brother were off.

They were only gone a minute or two when some other elves, perhaps attracted by the illusions they had seen from a distance, or perhaps by the loud exclamations of the two children as they walked away, drifted over to Miyuki and Hikaru and, tentatively at first, and then warming up slightly (in most cases, at least), stuck around and engaged in conversation with them, clearly hoping to see more of the illusions (or hoping for a story, those who had heard from Talila and her brother).
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:01 pm

Miyuki was thrilled when more people came, and was more than willing to provide both stories and illusions. When people became interested in the sweets, she showed them the plants in which they came from and the areas where such plants grew.

Hikaru helped where he could, handing out treats and making conversation. He had a more difficult time of it than Miyuki, as she seemed to throw caution to the wind and interact with anyone who would come up to them.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:16 pm

"Well, you two look busy," came a familiar voice a while later.

Kyrie had been passing by, a large basket filled with groceries on her arm, and the crowd had attracted her attention. Curious, she had made her way over, and, finding the two kitsunes in the middle of it all, she was not in the least surprised - but very amused.

"Looks like you're about out of food," she added, her eyes bright as she looked at the tables. "A successful afternoon, then?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Hikaru nodded with a chuckle, he was quite bemused by the whole process. Though he could see now why Miyuki enjoyed it so much.

"Yes, it was a bit touch and go for a moment," Hikaru admitted.

Miyuki waggled at finger at him, "Now, now, none of that, just needed to grab people's attention and nothing like food and illusions to do the trick. Especially food."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 34 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next