The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newcomers to Oak Glen

2 posters

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

Newcomers to Oak Glen - Page 9 Empty Re: Newcomers to Oak Glen

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:33 pm

"Greetings," a woman sitting at a work table called back.

The shop wasn't very big, at least not the store portion. There were displays of jewelry near the counter and along the wall near the door. The displays had the typical, such as earrings, necklaces, bracelets and rings, but there were a few unusual pieces too like chains that were not necklaces that had charms dangling at the end or small things that look like mini drinking horns.

The woman herself was clearly elven in origin. When she stood to greet them she was unusually tall at about 6 feet. She was like a willow in the shape of her body, and the flowing green gown she wore emphasized this.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:40 pm

Aeris made her way directly to the elven woman. "You must be Willow!" she beamed at her. "My name is Aeris Frosthorn. Gears from the Crafters' Guild sent me here to see if you could make a necklace out of my new arcane focus crystal."

She took it from her pocket once more and held it out to the woman, cradled carefully in her hands.

"Something not too fragile, as I'll be wearing it in battle," she went on. "If I can keep it around my neck and not have to worry about it, then I'll be able to cast spells without having a hand occupied by my staff! It would just make things so much easier, you see, and -"

Zoltan cleared his throat, making it sound a little like a cough, though Aeris had been cut off by him so many times that she knew exactly what he meant.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:54 pm

It was a good thing Zoltan stopped her too, because there was confusion on the woman's face. After a second or two of silence, understanding dawned on her.

"Oh yes... Gears," she shifted a giggle, "I guess this is your first time meeting him. He likes to give nicknames to everyone he knows, it's a gnomish thing. I'm Ronda, the jeweler here. Now, what is this about wanting to wear your focus in battle?"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:00 pm

Aeris blushed, though it didn't show on her white scales.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" she said sheepishly. "I wasn't aware ... and yes, my focus. See, I have a staff that helps me to cast my spells but it takes up one hand and that makes it awkward to use other weapons, and I was given this crystal-"

She held it up to show Ronda.

"- as a focus, and I do like it better, but for it to be terribly useful I was hoping to make a necklace out of one, one that's not very delicate, because, well, battles are usually pretty hard on equipment and such, and I wouldn't want it to break ..."

She took a deep breath and looked at Ronda with what would have been puppy eyes, if a dragonborn's face could do such things.

"Is it possible?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:13 pm

Ronda was startled a bit by the dramatics, she smiled widely and did her best not to giggle. This one, she thought must be quite young.

"Yes, if you don't mind leaving it with me for a few days I can most certainly create a mounting for it so it could be hung around the neck. Come..."

She motioned for Aeris to follow her to the counter. Ronda grabbed a piece of paper and a quill, as she would need to take notes.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Aeris followed close behind Ronda, smiling widely with excitement.

Zoltan followed behind her, fairly nonchalantly, so that he could listen in.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:26 pm

"Is there any particular design you would like on the mounting or anything added to the focus?" Ronda asked, "Or would you just like to keep this simple? Would you like the cord it's on to be metal, or would leather do just as well?"

Since there was some homely-ness to having something pretty on a leather cord.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:33 pm

"Well," Aeris mused, "it does look kind of frosty, and my family name is Frosthorn, so perhaps it could be etched to look like frost creeping over a window? Just along the edges of it, like around the window frame. Or we could do the family crest ... but that would be very small, difficult to see, so perhaps not ... but I think I would like it on a metal chain, leather does look nice but it does also burn and break so much more easily than metal, metal is so much stronger, and I am likely to be entering into all kinds of battles, so I would want it to last as long as it possibly could ..."

Suddenly she realized herself that she was rambling, and she cut herself off with a soft laugh.

"I'm so sorry, my mouth quite runs away on me sometimes," she apologized.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:55 pm

"It is fine," Ronda assured Aeris, "It's good to be excitable at your age."

Again, Ronda was assuming that Aeris was young, at least that's what she sounded like to her.

"I'll make the cord a braid of chains, normally my chains are not that thick, so there is always a chance it'll break, making it a braid will make it sturdier."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:57 pm

Aeris nodded. "That sounds good to me," she smiled. "And giving the mounting a frosted look, that also is doable? Not too complicated?"

If it was going to be too much, she would be fine without it, but it would be nice.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:03 pm

"Absolutely," Ronda nodded, "That should not be a problem. There are ways to make that work."

She was already jotting notes down to make plans for how this would be done.

"Now, payment, it is 20 gold pieces as it's a custom piece, I won't ask for deposit because an arcane focus is already a lot."

Meaning that she expected that Aeris would come back specifically for the focus.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:08 pm

Aeris opened her pouch and counted out her coins, and a worried expression crossed her face.

"Don' ye worry, lass," Zoltan spoke up beside her. "Ye've enough. I still have te give ye some o' what we found earlier."

Aeris breathed a sigh of relief and smiled weakly at Zoltan. "Thank you," she murmured. To Ronda, she said, "That will be fine. And when should I return for it?"

She presumed it wouldn't be done in the next hour or two.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:20 pm

Ronda thought about it, she carefully mouthed out the numbers as she counted the days. She would have to do a sheet, and make sure it was cut to the proper size. There was the frost, she would need to make something for imprint.

"Hmmm... six days to be safe," Ronda finally replied, "I will already have the chains, but the mounting will take some work."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:23 pm

Aeris was surprised by the length of time it would take, but she supposed that the one who knew the craft would know best how long it would take.

"Six days," she agreed. "Then shall I return for it then? Or perhaps if you finish early, would you be able to send a message to the Adventurer's Guild? Then I can come for it when it's finished."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:31 pm

Ronda raised a brow but nodded at Aeris request as she wrote down Aeris' name and made note that she could be found in the Adventurer's Guild.

"I will send a message if the piece is done early," the elven woman replied softly, "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:37 pm

"I Think that's it for me," Aeris smiled at Ronda. She looked at the others. "Anything for either of you?"

Zoltan shook his head. "No, nothin' I need," he told her.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Reed who had been quiet during this whole thing just shook his head. It wasn't like he needed jewelry at all, he already had some and didn't need anymore.

"I'm good, shall we head out then? We still have one more place to go."

Since the Bard's Guild was on the other side of town from here, with that he mind, he already began to usher the others out.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:56 pm

As they left the shop, Zoltan held a hand up to the others. "Jest ye hold on a minute," he said, stopping them. "I know ye promised the lass ye'd take her te the Bard Guild, Reed, but I've nae int'rest in goin' there meself. So I'll tell ye what."

He slung his bag to the ground and squatted next to it.

"I'll give ye both the coin from t'e body we found, an' ye can do wi' it as ye will, wi'out havin' te have me wi' ye. How does that sound?" He looked from one to the other.

"Sounds good to me," Aeris agreed. "I certainly don't want to make you go somewhere you don't want to go."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:01 pm

Reed breath out in a bit that was like a bit of a sigh, but he brightened up and smiled wide.

"Sure, that sounds great, then we can get a treat while we're over there," Reed agreed, "And we'll bring something back right Aeris?"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Aeris beamed at that idea. "Yes!" she exclaimed.

"Ye really don' have te on me accoun'," Zoltan mumbled as he pulled out the coins and counted them out. He handed to Aeris and Reed each 10 copper pieces, 6 silver pieces, and 8 gold pieces. "Here. An' Reed, don' forget te keep an eye on Aeris, will ye?"

"Oh, Zoltan," Aeris sighed. "I'm not a child!"

He eyed her. "Jus' abou'," he grunted.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:32 pm

Reed snickered at that under his breath, even though he was inclined to agree.

"Don't worry, it's just the Bard's Guild," Reed assured Zoltan, "We'll be off, have fun doing... whatever it is you'll be doing."

He wasn't even sure what Zoltan was going to do there was still day light left.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:36 pm

"Jes' relaxin'," Zoltan grinned at Reed, hefting his bag back onto his back. "See you back a' the Guild."

And with a wave, he was off.

Aeris sighed as the dwarf lumbered off. "He doesn't seem very interested in seeing more of the town," she commented to Reed as they started off again.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:41 pm

As the two walk, Reed thought about this, she did have a point and he was a bit sad about this.

"I guess he thinks we're not going to stay that long in town. I mean, it's possible, we could head to a different place now that we've done our registration, there's nothing keeping us from doing so. But there's benefits to keeping to one primary guild, the people there get to know you."

After all Risa had clearly chosen their first request just for them, and Kevan went out of his way to get Aeris a focus. He was beginning to understand why people liked starting in Oak Glen.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:43 pm

"It really is very pleasant here," Aeris agreed, "even with the strange things happening outside the town."

That made her think, too.

"What if the oddities aren't only outside the town?" she thought aloud. "What if some of what is happening out there were to happen in here?"

She supposed there would be quests or something for those as well then. Still.

"I somehow have the feeling it's not so much about he thinks we're going to move on soon," she mused, "as ... he just doesn't seem like a people person. I mean, even when he is with us, he doesn't say much, at least not to others."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:57 pm

"Well, he did say he was a solider at one point, so I guess that doesn't allow him to interact with people normally," Reed replied with a shrug, "I'm actually more concerned that he's not interested in the world around him, but I'm bard and it's my job to be interested in the world around me. So what do I know?"

The two made a wide berth around the Merchant's Guild, since it was smack dab in the middle of town. Avoiding the people coming and going, often merchants carrying goods.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum