The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To the 'Town' on the Hill

2 posters

Page 1 of 22 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next

Go down

To the 'Town' on the Hill Empty To the 'Town' on the Hill

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:20 pm

The next morning, when the party members were ready to leave, they would find Warren at the counter instead of Risa. Warren gives them a nod and wishes them good luck on their next assignment.

For them, located at the Adventurer's Guild, the East Gate was located on the other side of town. It is early morning when they set out, in order to get any last minute errands done. Reed has his pack and is wearing the pearl pendant around his neck, and the owl feather is tucked away in his component pouch. He follows the others to wherever they may go before heading to the East Gate.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

To the 'Town' on the Hill Empty Re: To the 'Town' on the Hill

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:39 pm

Aeris and Zoltan went quickly in the morning to prepare for their trip. When they arrived at the gate, Aeris still had her staff with her, but she was wearing her new crystal arcane focus around her neck, the braided chain and frosted mount as beautiful as she had expected they would be.

Zoltan hadn't needed much by way of preparing: he had simply gone and bought a barrel of ale. They were going to be on the road for a while, after all.

"We're meeting the others at the gate?" Aeris asked Reed as they neared the gate.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:44 pm

"Yes, at least that's what was implied."

Reed looked to the East Gate and as they got closer they saw someone who could easily be mistaken for Asim. He had the same blond hair, the same eyes, even the same style of hair, only his single braid was on the left side instead of the right. He was talking to the horses softly.

The man wore a dark green cloak and clothes that were of variety shades of green. He carried with him a long bow, and two short swords.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:49 pm

"Tha's go' te be Allen," Zoltan grunted with a nod. "Go' te say, the fam'ly resemblance is strikin'."

Aeris smiled at his comment. It didn't seem like he was having trouble with meeting this man. But she still didn't see their second companion.

"Well, it looks like we're not going to be the last to arrive," she quipped cheerfully.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:58 pm

As Aeris said this a voice spoke up behind them. Not to get their attention, but because the voice was just naturally loud.

"Now lass, you be careful out on the field. Allen ain't going to step in once you step into that gods forsaken place, and I'm not going to be there, nor is Kevan or Asim for that matter. This is going to be a bit different than your patrols."
"I understand Lovrick, and yes, for the last time I have everything."

If the group looked behind them they would see the dwarf that Zoltan had glimpsed at the day before. The man was walking beside Risa who had traded in her peasant dress for a more practical green tunic and green pants. Over that she wore a studded leather, and carried with her a long bow, long sword and seemed to have a blow dart in her belt. Her hair was no longer in their pigtails but instead were braided tight to keep them from getting in the way, in a design that may have been elven in nature.

"I'll tell your father after your gone," Lovrick told Risa seriously, "It shouldn't be like this, but if he's going to be stubborn about this, it's his own damn fault. You humans don't live long, he should know that."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:09 pm

Zoltan stared, blinking, at Risa and her companion, and for a moment, Aeris didn't look any different. Then suddenly, her eyes grew wide and she let out a gasp of excitement.

"Risa!" she exclaimed, dropping her staff in excitement. She ran towards Risa. "Are you coming with us? Are you our other companion for the trip?"

Her golden eyes sparkled brightly.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:22 pm

Risa smiled brightly, "That's right. Oh, right, Lovrick, this is Aeris, one of my companions for this trip."

Lovrick looked up at Aeris and gave a firm nod, "Good to meetcha."

"Aeris, this is one of my teachers, Lovrick Ironstrike, he use to be from the fighter class back in the day before he decided to become a smith," Risa explained, "Even though I said Allen is my teacher, I decided long ago to join the Fighter class."

"But Risa specializes in archery, that's why it's Allen," Lovrick interrupted, "It takes a village sometimes to raise a child."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:21 am

"It does," Aeris agreed. "And yet sometimes the child has to leave the nest and gain real experience to further their training - which is why I'm here."

She smiled again at Risa, but now it was a slightly confused smile. "So why couldn't you tell us yesterday that you were going to be coming with us? Zoltan would have been a lot less grumpy, at the very least."

She looked over at Zoltan, who cleared his throat in a sort of startled way.

"Ahem, ah, well, aye, yes," he stuttered, his already ruddy cheeks reddening further. "Like te know who I'll be relyin' on, after all, can' trust jes' anyone."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:40 am

"I understand," Risa replied softly, "But, well... father doesn't know about this trip."

Allen who had finished tending to the horses came up behind the group quietly.

"To be fair," the half elf spoke in good humour, "He doesn't even know you're trained, but that goes without saying. Warren is a good man, but not good at letting go yes? I'm Allen by the way, I'll be your cart driver, and camp watcher."

"And, to keep father from getting too upset," Risa explained, "It sounds better if I say afterwards a teacher of mine was on the trip, even though he will be staying at the camp."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:51 am

Aeris wasn't entirely sure she understood the situation fully. Her own family had always been quite supportive of her, really. But she could at least respect the situation.

"So where does he think you're going for anywhere between two and six months?" she asked as they continued on towards the gate where they were to collect their things.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:20 am

"Ah, I will be telling him where she really went after you all get out," Lovrick explained, "No point keeping it from him, he's not stupid, but he won't be able to do much once a request is accepted and you're out of town. He can't leave the guild."

It was a loophole they were going to exploit and Lovrick was not ashamed of admitting this.

"It's a risk," Risa admitted as they went back to the cart.

Allen hopped into the cart and began to hand out the potions that everyone was to keep for themselves.

"But I can't run the guild unless I know what adventurers face, it's not right."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:38 pm

"That's a good point," Aeris agreed, tucking her potions into her bag. "It's always easiest to help those who you can truly understand. And you know what else? It's so much more fun when you're with friends!"

Zoltan put his potions away as well, and climbed into the cart, where he sat down in a corner and made himself comfortable. To his understanding, Allen would be driving the cart, so he could rest up.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:50 pm

Reed hopped into the cart and began to put away his potions before reaching over to help the ladies up. The cart itself had a frame and canvas over it to keep out the elements. Which was good since they were the end of Spring, in a month aptly named Time of Flowers.

"Come up, this is going to be way more comfortable than when we first traveled," he told Aeris.

Even if they would be sitting on hard wood and they would be able to feel every bump in the road.

Allen patted a white and brown horse that stood beside it's plain tanned partner horse before getting into the driver's seat. He waited for everyone to get on.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:04 pm

Aeris took Reed's hand and climbed up next to him. "Thanks," she beamed. "I'm so excited for this. I mean, I know it's going to be dangerous, and long and all that, but still, I'm excited. A part of me wishes I could have taken those books with me that I was reading at the Mage Guild, but I'm sure that with so many people, the travel won't be boring anyways."

It really was her only regret, not having books with that she could study.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Once Aeris was into the cart, Reed held out his hand to Risa. She took it and pulled herself up, since she was the last person in, she closed the cart back so no one would accidentally fall out if the cart had to speed up.

"It'll give us time to get to know each other better," Risa suggested, "Since it'll be a long journey and we'll be fighting along side each other."

"Everyone in the back?" Allen called behind him.

"Yes!"

"Ah, good, let's go," and Allen got the horses moving.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Aeris grabbed the edge of the seat so that the jolt of the wagon starting to move wouldn't knock her over, and once she got into the sway of the movement, she let it go again.

"So Risa," she smiled, "if your father was so against you training or going on missions, what made you choose to start down this path? And how did you manage it without him knowing?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:05 pm

"It's really circumstance than anything else," Risa admitted, "Unlike guild mistress Willow, my father hasn't chosen anyone outside of the family to become the next guild master, and unlike guild master Jett who has many children, I am my father's only child. Like the other guilds, the guild master should be a person who is trained and taken part of the craft the guild represents."

"Makes sense," Reed nodded, "So as far as anyone is concerned, you would be the next guild mistress."

Unless Risa's father changed his mind, but Reed had noticed that Risa worked in the guild and knew all the procedures. Clearly her father trusted her enough to be at the meeting last night.

"Yes, as for how I trained, it helps I'm often at the guild or around town, there are a lot of people who are no longer adventurers but started as adventurers. Like Lovrick is a weapon's smith but he is originally from the Fighter class. Asim and Allen are from the Ranger class, though Asim had to turn in his tag when he became Lord Protector, can't have him running off to do requests," Risa giggled at the last part.

She paused and thought about it a bit more.

"Let's see... Selena is from the Wizard class, Brack spent a small time in the Barbarian class, but that's because is uncle Ohm taught him, but he prefers just running that tavern."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:41 pm

"So with that explanation, I presume that your father was once an adventurer himself," Aeris guessed. "So why would he be against you going out and adventuring?"

It didn't make sense to her. Wouldn't he want his daughter to gain real experience?
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:48 pm

"Only child," Allen called back, "And not for the lack of trying, and we'll leave it at that. Don't tell Warren I told you that."

Risa rolled her eyes at Allen, "Even if that was horribly blunt, that does sum it up. The only reason why mother doesn't agree with father is because she's a follower of Tymora, it goes against her tenants as a worshiper."

At least her mother was honest with her feelings, but Risa understood that Callie Wick forced herself to be honest in order to not break her own vows for her only child.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:16 pm

"Ah ..." Aeris blinked. "Something tells me I'm getting into something more than is really my need to know. Sorry."

"If i' really bothered 'em tha' much, they wouln'eave said anethin'," Zoltan grunted. "Dinnae think anethin' abou' it."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:31 pm

"How about all of you?" Risa asked, "What drives all of you to become adventurers?"

Reed paused at that, that was a loaded question, after a bard didn't necessarily have to be an adventurer. That wasn't always their purpose in life.

"I suppose I felt it was the only way to find more stories, it's not unusual for a bard to also to become part of the adventure they're telling," he finally replied.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:23 pm

"I came to learn more about magic," Aeris offered. "To become the most powerful sorcerer I can be. And who knows? Maybe someday I'll be able to go beyond that. I'm fortunate that my family supports me in what I'd like to do, to become."

She picked up the focus that was around her neck and cupped it in her hands, looking at it. "Even since coming here, barely half a tenday ago, I've been surrounded by people who are willing to help me."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:35 pm

"I see," Risa nodded understanding.

After that, it fell into friendly chatter and then on occasion napping as it was a long trip. The next eight days saw the travelers pass by picturesque flower meadows reaching the end of their bloom as they were reaching the end of the Time of Flowers and entering into the first month of summer, also known as Summertide. The rains came around the eighth day and it was a good thing the cart had a canvas over it to keep out the rain.

"If we don't find a place to stay, we may be sleeping in the cart," Allen commented to the group.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:44 pm

"There's room for all," Zoltan replied, "so long as we don' mind gettin' a bit cozy."

"You could probably sleep on a seat," Aeris quipped with a slight grin at the dwarf.

He just chuckled at her. "Aye, I probably could, a' that." He shifted to stand behind where Allen was sitting in the driver's seat, holding the back of the seat for balance as the cart bounced along. "Have ye been this way before?" he asked the man. "D'ye know of any place where we might find cover for a night?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:33 pm

"Yes, been this way many times before," Allen assured Zoltan, "We can stop by old man Red's place. He's an alchemist that works out in these parts. Has a roomy cabin and a small stable. We'll still probably have to sleep on the floor, but it'll be drier and we'll get a hot meal."

The cart dipped slightly and there was a splash as the wheel hit a pothole in the road. No one got wet, but those sitting on the right side left the dip for sure. The horses snorted at that, and Allen chuckled at them.

"We'll be there soon."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 22 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum