The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To the 'Town' on the Hill

2 posters

Page 4 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next

Go down

To the 'Town' on the Hill - Page 4 Empty Re: To the 'Town' on the Hill

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:10 pm

Zoltan muttered something under his breath and finished packing his bag, then hefted it onto his back.

"Well, we'll take what we can get," Aeris murmured. "We'll be all right."

The weather was going to be the least of her worries, she was certain.

She used her Mage Hand to pack her bag and set it next to the door.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:17 pm

"Come on," Allen motioned for the others to follow to the kitchen, "Let's get some breakfast, we have a long road ahead of us."

He picked up his pack though instead of leaving it by the door. When the group enters the kitchen, Red is already up and scooping oatmeal into bowls for his guests.

"Good Morning, I hope everyone slept well," came the cheery greeting.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:28 pm

"Very well, thank you," Aeris said warmly as she moved towards the table. "And thanks again for having us, it was really a treat to be able to sleep with a real roof over our heads."

She really appreciated not having to sleep on the ground, or outside, or on a wooden bench of a cart. She hadn't done much of that during her life, and it was one of the only aspects of her life currently that she wasn't particularly fond of.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:47 pm

"I'm just glad to make some travelers' lives a bit more comfortable," Red replied as he set down the bowls, and then the basket of fruit and the apples., as well as a paring knife.

He then got the potion bottles full of the white liquid and set them down on the table.

"Fortunately, there is a farm near by a bit further up north, so I can still get fresh milk," Red told everyone, "And.. I still had some good apples in the cellar, the spring strawberry crop has been good and these, I'm told are the last apricots of the season."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:45 pm

"A veritable feast," Aeris smiled, reaching for an apple. "Food like this has been missed these past days."

She took a bite of it, careful not to let the juice spray anyone, as she didn't have lips as most humanoids did.

Zoltan reached for an apricot, pulled a dagger from his belt, and cut into it.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:53 pm

Reed also took an apricot and the paring knife that Red had put on the table and began to slice it up for his oatmeal.

"I also have some spices that go well with this sort of thing, I have the mixture in a cupboard if anyone wants any," Red offered, "Do you need anything before you continue your trip?"

"No need," Allen explained, "Our clients have paid for our provisions for this trip and we'll see if we can get fresh food from the farms we pass before crossing the border. I think there will be a town we'll pass through right before crossing."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:57 pm

"I'll have some of the spices for the oatmeal," Aeris piped up, her eyes brightening slightly. She wasn't a real fan of the food, though she was aware that it was a common staple for many people.

To her it was just bland.

"I don' need anethin'," Zoltan said quietly before popping a slice of his apricot into his mouth.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Red went to his cupboard which on the inside of the door had several pegs with small pouches hanging from them. He plucked one from it's peg and handed it over to Aeris.

"It is a mixture of spices from the south, a luxury but I think it makes many things taste good," he told Aeris.

Risa had taken an apple and was putting it in like the way Reed was with his fruit.

"Does this mean you come to town on occasion?" she asked him.

"Sometimes... more often I have Allen deliver me things when he's coming to get potions and the like from me, so I go into town very rarely."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:54 pm

"It's a long trip to get to town," Aeris commented. "I mean, it took us eight days to get here."

She would imagine that he wouldn't make a 16-day round trip more than he absolutely had to.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:04 pm

"Exactly, so I try not to go into town that often, but I do because there's a lot of news in town," Red admitted, "Often the first place I head to is the Bard's Guild, you never know what you'll hear."

"Well it is a bard's job to know things," Reed admitted.

"And you people horrible gossips, except instead of talking about the nighty tryst of some lady down the street it's the latest intrigue in someone's court," Red replied, "Or something along those lines."

"Well it makes for interesting story telling..."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:49 pm

And it was a good thing that Reed had so many stories to tell, as the group still had a long journey ahead of them.

Once everyone had finished eating, they double checked their bags to make sure they had packed all of their things, thanked Red sincerely for his hospitality, prepared the horses, and left once more.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:35 pm

The rain dried up pretty quickly, the next two days they traveled was very sunny, but not overly hot. The wind blew which made the beating sun bearable for Allen, though the others were protected by the shade of the canvas that covered the cart.

"We're coming up to a shrine," Allen commented around noon, "I think it would be safe to take a rest around there before continuing on again."

The shrine was simply a large boulder carved into it looked to be a coin with a lady's portrait on it. Though the carving seemed worn as if it had been rubbed many times. On top of the boulder was a stone bowl that had coopers in them. If one looked carefully, it was easy to tell that the stone bowl was part of the shrine itself and would not move if someone tried to lift it.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Zoltan hopped out of the cart and found a spot of shade to lay down, put his head on his bag, and closed his eyes.

Aeris took a few minutes to look at the shrine and the picture on it. She had no idea who it was who was being worshiped here, but she recognized the image from a larger boulder right next to the Adventurer's Guild. She wondered if perhaps it might be some god or goddess of travelers or adventurers or something, and with that in mind, she did what it was clear others had done: she set a copper piece into the offering bowl and rubbed the carving with her fingers.

"It seems a peaceful place here," she murmured, turning to sit on the ground with the others.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:37 pm

"It is," Risa agreed as she pulled out her own cooper, "I'm told being on the road like this is the best part of being an adventurer, though admittedly Allen could be bias since he's often on the road."

Allen chuckled a bit as he made sure that the horses had water to drink before settling down, "Well, that's what happens when my job mainly involves traveling."

Risa grinned at that as she went up to the shrine, "A copper to the Lady returns tenfold in gold."

And with practiced ease she flipped the cooper coin into the bowl.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:49 pm

"I think it's fine when you're with other people," Aeris murmured, closing her eyes, "but when you're on your own, it's a little different."

She had started her journey on her own, and she had been glad to meet Zoltan and Reed. She was quite content to still be traveling, and now adventuring, with them.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:36 pm

After this the group continued on for five more days on the road. In that time they had passed or even traveled along side with for a bit, several groups of traveling performers. It was on the fifth day they came to the next forest they were supposed to enter, only it was unlike other forests most travelers would be familiar with.

Normally with a forest, the trees would just become more as one traveled further in, but this one had a clear divide of where the forest started and where the forest ended. The path into the forest was even clearly marked, as if the trees were making a gateway into the area.

The other odd thing about the area was the only home located for miles around. It was right outside of the forest. From a distance it looked like a normal two story cottage enforced with stones and stone tilting on the roof. The west side of the cottage was covered in moss, and there was a balcony on the second floor. In front of the cottage was a sprawling garden of fruits, vegetables and herbs, more than what one would think is maintainable by a single person. But other than the garden, it looked normal from a distance, but when they got closer to it, they realized that the cottage looked more like a really fancy children's playhouse. A granted a very large playhouse that was several inches taller than Aeris, but still, a large playhouse.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:31 pm

"Such a nice place," Aeris murmured when she saw the place close enough. "An odd location, perhaps, but very well kept, I must say."

"Tiny," Zoltan grunted, walking towards the house for a better look. He peered into one of the ground floor windows and looked around. Looked like a living room to him. Some mending on a couch, smaller furniture than he had seen in a long time. Through an open doorway he could see a kitchen as well, and even the pots and pans in there looked smaller than he had seen in many years.

"Looks like a gnome or a halfling's home," he told the others, stepping away from the window and returning to them.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:45 pm

"Very observant of you," a soft slightly high voice spoke from behind the group.

The person was right behind Aeris, as if to use the Dragonborn's tall stature to hide themselves. Though Reed, who had whirled around at the voice could have sworn that there was no one there before.

There, the person who hadn't been standing there before was a halfling with long brown hair that went down to her ankles, and hazel eyes. She wore a green long tunic with wide sleeves, a long brown skirt under that and peeking out from that brown skirt was the lace edging of an underskirt. She wore no shoes, and had in her hand a wooden staff. Even though her height was that of a seven year old human child (which made her taller than most halflings), she looked to be somewhere between 20 and 30. For most races who were much taller than a halfling, telling the age was difficult.

Though for Zoltan who was use to that kind height, he could more accurately guess she was probably in her 30s. For her exact age it was unknown, he didn't know much about halfling aging only that dwarves were longer lived than halfings.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Zoltan was bothered by the fact that the halfling had come up behind them so quietly that no one had noticed her, and he scowled at himself.

Aeris wasn't bothered in the least. In fact, she was pleased to have met the person who lived in such a cute and well-kept home.

"Hello!" she beamed at the halfling woman. "My name is Aeris Frosthorn! I hope you don't mind our presence, we were traveling by and saw your house and became curious because it's so very far away from anywhere, and so beautifully kept! I don't know about the others, but for me it's really quite unexpected to find a place like yours out here!"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:55 pm

The halfling woman looked at Aeris, and then at Zoltan and then at Reed. She saw the innocent eagerness that was Aeris, the wariness of the dwarf and the utter bemusement of the half elf. Her lips quirked upwards into a smile that reached her eyes and she giggled.

"Well, certainly has been a long time since I've had a visitor so eager to meet me," she replied with her hands on her hips, "I am called Wisp, and this place is my home. It's good to meet you all..."

She tilted her head at the three men and other woman. Reed stumbled a bit realizing she didn't know the rest of their names.

"I'm Reed, Miss and this here is Zoltan."

Risa pipped up, "I'm Risa Wick miss."

"And I am Allen," the ranger introduced himself.

Wisp nodded to each in turn before stopping at Risa, "You're Warren's child aren't you?"

"You know him miss?" Risa asked in surprise.

"Back when he was a young thing adventuring out here, just like his grandfather..." Wisp replied wryly, "I guess the family tradition continues."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:24 am

"So you must have lived here for quite a long time, then," Aeris mused. "Do you live out here on your own? Or do you have family here, too? Do you get many adventurers stopping by? It doesn't seem like a very common road ..."

She herself couldn't imagine living a life out here on her own, or like Red, relying on passersby for company. It would be so horribly lonely ...
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:30 am

"Oh no... I have plenty of company, the animals come to visit me all the time," Wisp told Aeris like it was a normal occurrence, "And among other people. And you're here, and despite the fact he introduced himself he visits here often enough."

She pointed her staff at Allen who only gave a mischievous smile.

"And at least you had enough sense to not use your brother's name," Wisp added.

"Well it never fooled you before."

The halfling rolled her eyes at him before addressing Aeris once more.

"And while this road doesn't look like it's well traveled, people do come by quite a bit. The village on the other end is well known for their crafts, among other things..."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:37 am

"What kind of other things?" Aeris asked curiously, ignoring the comment about Allan pretending to be his brother in favour of what intrigued her more.

Zoltan just rolled his eyes behind Allan's back.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:43 am

"Their flowers of course! Fox Grove Village is in the middle of a flower field, and the pollen is used to make potions unique to the village once a year," Wisp explained to Aeris, "It's very lovely, but the flowers are not yet in bloom. They probably won't start blooming until the end of Summertide."

Right now, it was the first week of Summertide, so there was still a bit under a month left until the flowers that Wisp mentioned would start to bloom.

"How far is the village?" Reed asked.

"Four days," Allen replied, "And once we leave the village we'll directly be crossing the border, it's right at the edge."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:47 am

"Seems a bit dangerous, considering we've been hearing about difficulties with the nearby countries," Aeris frowned. "I mean, I don't know about dangerous for us, but dangerous for the village itself."

She couldn't recall exactly what had been said about the country, but for some reason it was dangerous to use the most direct route's border crossing, which was why they were here.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum