The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Beginning (17 of The Melting)

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A New Beginning (17 of The Melting) - Page 2 Empty Re: A New Beginning (17 of The Melting)

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:06 pm

Caelynn waved at Beloved and Jahi as they approached, but Ana's attention was captured by the activity on the deck.

"I don't know if excited is the word for it," she smiled, leaning against the rail of the ship, "but I am looking forward to it. I'm not sure I can say the same for my sister."

She gestured towards Ana. The younger elven woman glanced at the others, flashed a brief smile, and went back to watching the activity.

"She's not much for people," Caelynn explained apologetically. "So what about the two of you? Excited? Eager?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

A New Beginning (17 of The Melting) - Page 2 Empty Re: A New Beginning (17 of The Melting)

Post by Kara Winters Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:18 pm

"Oh very excited," Beloved smiled sunnyily, "It's my first time away from home, and... maybe a bit nervous. A world with people is very different."

"Hmm... like you I don't know if excited is the world I'd use," Jahi replied softly, "I have been out in the world before, mainly in large cities though. This kind of travel is new to me."

He took a seat on the floor and unstrapped the dulcimer from his back and began to fiddle with it.

"Don't know any sea shanties, I might have to ask the sailors if they know any," he added after a moment of thought.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:38 pm

"Unfortunately, I can't help you there," Caelynn laughed softly. "Never having been at sea or spent time with sailors, I don't know any myself. If you learn any, you'll have to sing them for us, though. I would imagine it would help to pass the time of the journey."

She didn't know what sailing would be like, but she had a feeling it would be something like taking rotation in the forest.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:45 pm

As Caelynn had suspected the group were put on a rotation in case anyone in the group wanted to just stay below deck. The group tended to take a rotation of sitting up on deck in case anything happened in three hour shifts in pairs. Miklos would often join them to so that no one would have to pull extra shirts since they were an odd number of people. He also made sure to change the pairs up so they would get to know each other.

Beloved tended to talk with anyone she was paired with, asking questions about them and where they came from and what they liked to do, or eat. Beloved herself, liked sweets and she freely shared that she had been raised by a human she called Ms. Witt who was a hermit disciple of Maya the Kind Mother, and was sometimes visited by Ms. Witt's brother, Mr. Witt.

Jahi, would often hum while on watch and he didn't offer much information about himself. Though he wasn't unfriendly, he always smiled and greeted people kindly. He just didn't really offer much information except that he was a bard and had decided he would follow Beloved on her journey.

They had spent seven days at sea like this, and on the seventh day, it was Beloved and Sai who were keeping watch. The ship was passing by a very small rocky island that jutted out of the sea. A place that looked like only birds could land because there was no good place to take a row boat as there was no sandy beach as far as Quartermaster Neil could tell. Neil was a human man with pale skin and often was seen wearing a wide brim straw hat and smelled of herbs and spices.

"At least we'll be able to pass close enough to see it," Beloved commented, "So we might see some birds, I think Quartermaster Neil said there are sometimes birds unique to an island because nothing else can get up the cliffs."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:32 pm

Caelynn enjoyed her time on rotation, conversing with those who would talk, though not everyone was chatty. She shared stories of her rotations in the forest, protecting her people from large creatures and the odd goblin incursion, or some other group of creatures who tried to make their way into the Greenwood. She would talk about her home a little as well, but without giving up too much detail. The wood elves did like to keep their secrets to themselves.

Ana would talk with people, though she mostly spoke of her love of animals and nature, and her dislike of learning to fight. She spent most of her time watching the sky and the sea, simply observing the birds and fish that showed themselves.

Sai was friendly enough, if a little shy, and he still said little or nothing about his purpose in traveling, except for once letting it slip that he hoped to improve his fortunes. He enjoyed tinkering with things as well, and helped with minor fixes on the ship, his experience with ships giving him the knowledge to do so.

When he was on watch with Beloved on this seventh day and she commented on the island that they were passing, he looked at the island thoughtfully.

"I almost wonder if we oughtn't mention it to Ana," he said quietly. "She might like to observe the birds, especially if they're unique to the island."

And to be honest, it was about the most interesting thing they'd seen on the journey so far.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:41 pm

"We should! And who knows when we'll come across an island again," Beloved agreed, "Is she below deck today?"

The cleric looked around from where she stood, because often Ana liked to be above ship since the sisters were more use to open air than the confines of the guest rooms.

"She might be already watching..." she murmured thoughtfully.

The island might have had more land at one point, as there was a series of tall rocks that jutted out from the sea near the island. They looked out of place at first, but it was most likely the island had sunk into the sea at some point leaving only the tops of cliffs exposed.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:53 pm

Sai also looked around, searching for the younger of the two wood elves. They were very difficult to tell apart, especially when they weren't standing together, as the only visible difference between them seemed to be their height.

He spotted one of the sisters standing at the bow of the ship, looking in the general direction of the island, and pointed her out to Beloved.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:05 pm

Beloved looked in direction that Sai pointed and like Sai, unless the two sisters were together she couldn't really tell them apart. She supposed that was because she didn't know them all that well or for very long.

"Let's go, hopefully it's Ana!"

The two had already made a round or two around the ship's deck already, so she didn't see a problem with just heading straight for the bow of the ship. Once she was sure she was closed enough she called out to the elven woman standing there.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:07 pm

Sai glanced out over the water once more briefly, looking to see if there would be anything to take note of, before following Beloved up to the bow of the ship. Since Beloved had called out to whichever sister it was standing at the bow, he kept silent.

It was indeed Ana at the bow of the ship. While she was not generally a people person, she did prefer being on deck to being below deck, as up in the open air there was at least space to breathe. She had also come to appreciate the sea, especially as she had begun to observe the creatures that lived in the water, as well as those that flew over it. As soon as she had spotted the small island coming up, she had taken up watch at the bow, eager to observe whatever wildlife she might glimpse.

Hearing Beloved's voice, she hesitated a moment before turning towards the sound of her voice.

"Hello, Beloved," she greeted her with a slight smile. "Can I help you with something?"

Her hazel eyes flickered back towards the island, a quick, desperate glance, before turning her attention back to the two who had approached her.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2