The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quinn's Tale | 106 4A+

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Quinn's Tale | 106 4A+ - Page 2 Empty Re: Quinn's Tale | 106 4A+

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:17 pm

Where: Caras Galadhon, Caras Galadhon, Arkandia
When: Mid-Winter, 119 4A

The room in the inn was enormous, and Quinn was glad of it. It had four beds, a sitting area, a bath with a folding screen around it, a bookshelf and a writing desk. Tarron had explained that many of the inns here were designed with rooms like these because there were many families who came from other countries and needed a place to stay until they could buy or build a home.

Tali had already taken a corner bed and sprawled her things over the bed nearest it. Tarron had taken the other corner bed, so Quinn was left in little doubt as to which bed he would occupy. He set his chest at the foot of the bed, but as he did so, he eyed the bath longingly.

“Eat first,” Tarron told him; and while Quinn got settled in, Tarron left to get some food for the three of them. By the time they’d finished eating, some of the staff had arrived with buckets of steaming water, and Tarron and Tali went out to explore the city a bit while Quinn enjoyed the first real bath he’d had in a few weeks. After his bath, he sprawled out on his bed and fell asleep.

Sometime later, he awoke. He didn’t know how much time had passed, and it took him a moment to realize where he was. He looked around. The room was growing dark, and he used his Gift of fire to light the lamps and candles that were positioned around the room.

He wondered what had woken him. It was odd that he would sleep so many hours in the day now: he hadn’t done that for several days; but he did feel much better. Physically. Emotionally. Mentally.

He was about to open a window for some fresh air when there was a knock at the door. He blinked, momentarily surprised; but then he realized that that must have been what had woken him. Who would it be? Surely Tarron and Tali wouldn’t bother knocking – it was their room, after all. And who else would either know that he was here, or care that he was here?

He wouldn’t know unless he answered it. So that was what he did.

“Jasta?” He was shocked to see her. What was she doing here? Why would she have come? In the semi-darkness, he thought he detected a hint of annoyance or anger in her face. She was smiling, and he couldn’t quite put his finger on what it might be that made him feel that, something … perhaps her eyes? Maybe the muscles of her jaw?

When she spoke, her words were calm – perhaps too calm.

“Hello Quinn,” she said quietly. “What are you doing here?”

Quinn took an involuntary step back, surprised by the question. It took him a few seconds to regain his composure, but then he frowned. “What am I doing here?” he repeated. “You told me I was pretty much better, that the only thing I still needed was sleep. I can do that without imposing on you and Whyn. Why take up one of your beds, which, as I recall, you told me was needed, when I can finish my recovery just fine here, with my siblings?”

“But to leave without saying anything?” Jasta shot back at him. She bit her tongue, checking herself, and took a slow, deep breath. She held it a few seconds before letting it out. “I’m sorry. Look, you worried me. You disappeared, didn’t say anything, no word as to where you were going … if Whyn hadn’t seen your siblings meet you outside the clinic, I might not have even figured out where you were. I might have found you if I’d come to ask Tarron and Tali where you were, but that’s not the point.”

“So what is the point?” Quinn asked with a frown.

Jasta sighed and leaned against the doorjamb, then looked directly into his eyes. He could see that she was confused, even troubled. “Why did you leave?”

He opened his mouth to reply, but closed it again almost immediately, swallowing back his instinctive answer. He didn’t want to make things worse again. That had been what had started this mess, after all.

“Quinn?”

He could see how badly she wanted to know. As much as he didn’t want to, he had to give her an answer.

His shoulders slumped. “I didn’t feel like I could face you,” he admitted in a mumble. His face was growing quite hot. “I guess … I just felt … judged, and found wanting. Badly. It was really the first time I realized just why I wasn’t doing well at anything, and … well … I was just ashamed of myself. And then when you told me you’d come to offer me a job working for your family … I felt hope. I was … actually looking forward to it, wanting to give it a good try … but then you said you couldn’t actually offer it to me in good conscience – and I don’t blame you!” he added hastily. “Really, I don’t – I had just finished telling you what a lazy bum I was. But …”

He hesitated, absentmindedly rubbing the back of his neck as he looked toward the ground.

“I guess … the first step, I thought, would be to stop being so … so … I don’t know.” He sighed. “I didn’t care about getting better and moving on. It wasn’t until that point … when I realized that it was my own fault I’d failed at so much … I guess I thought it was time I got out and actually did something on my own. Showed some initiative. Put some effort into something. And I wouldn’t be able to do that in a hospital bed, where I didn’t even belong. So I left.”

Jasta was silent, and Quinn sighed heavily. “Yeah, I don’t know what I’m going to do when I am finally better, but … at least I’m not relying on someone else to do everything for me. It’s time for me to take responsibility for myself.”

He shrugged. “So maybe tomorrow, maybe the day after, I’ll start asking around, see if I can find some work. Maybe if I do well at something small, I can get work doing something bigger.”

By this point, he had run out of things to say. He leaned against the back of a chair and folded his arms across his chest – not to appear aggressive, but simply because he didn’t know what else to do with his hands.

“Well …”

He looked at Jasta when she spoke; but she was hesitating now, her eyes on the ground. He remained silent. He didn’t want to interrupt her again, as he had so rudely done that morning. He waited patiently this time, watching her. It was several seconds before she spoke.

“Well,” she repeated softly, raising her eyes to meet his, “I’m just on my way home for the night. Shall I tell my parents I’ve found someone who would like to help out?”

Quinn blinked in surprise. “Seriously? After what I did? How I acted?”

Jasta held up one finger, and her expression was serious. “There is a condition,” she said firmly. “I will tell them about our discussions today, and what you told me, and if at any time they, my grandparents or myself, believe that you are not working to the best of your ability – and I know what ability you have, skipping ranks in training and all that – you will be finished. Done. Out. Gone.”

He couldn’t help but chuckle, and then laugh when she seemed startled by it.

“I’m serious!” she exclaimed defensively.

Quinn straightened and saluted her. “Yes, madam!” he said smartly.  He couldn’t control the joy that had filled him. It wasn’t just the job, as grateful as he was for it; it was that she was giving him a second chance! She didn’t think he was no good!

For several moments, Jasta just stared at him, looking as if she were trying to figure him out; but then she smiled and shook her head.

“I’ll come check on you again tomorrow,” she told him. “Good night.”

Quinn bade her a good night as well, and when he closed the door and went back to his bed, he realized that he couldn’t stop grinning.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:44 pm

Jasta gave Quinn three more days to regain his strength and get his head on straight before she brought him to meet her family and learn about their business. Thankfully, Tarron and Tali were out when she came for him – Quinn wasn’t sure if he could endure any more of their knowing looks whenever Jasta came by to check on him.

“We’re pretty new to the city,” Jasta explained to him as she led him through the crowded streets, “so Papa’s shop is close to the city walls. It’s quite busy though, despite its newness. Honestly, until we arrived here, I would never have imagined so many people living in one place.”

“If it makes you feel better,” Quinn quipped, “I think there are more people in this city than in my entire nation.”

Jasta giggled, and Quinn felt his face grow warm. He grinned at her, and for some reason it seemed only to make her laugh harder.

“Did you know,” she asked him, her eyes sparkling, “that Sky Elves blush very brightly?”

That just made Quinn’s face grow even warmer.

Jasta burst into a fit of giggles that left her breathless, and she had to tug on Quinn’s cloak to get him to stop and wait for her – and then hold on to it to keep upright as she suddenly began coughing and gasping for air.

“Hey,” Quinn said, concerned, reaching out and grasping her shoulders. “Are you okay?”

His heart raced as panic seized him. What should he do? He knew first aid basics – but only the basics! What to do if someone was injured, or choking on food or something – but this? He had no idea what was going on! Should he pound her back? Just hold her steady?

She waved him off, though her face was bright – from the cold? From coughing? Again, he had no idea. But as suddenly as her coughing fit had begun, it was over, and she straightened up, shuddering slightly.

“Sorry about that,” she murmured, breathing slowly and still holding his cloak for support. “I’m afraid I allowed myself to become over-excited.”

Quinn’s heart was still pounding in his ears. “You scared me half to death!” he exclaimed, his anxiety growing only stronger as the colour faded from her face, leaving her very pale. “Are you all right?”

“Fine, fine.” She waved his concerns away. “But … I may need to hold your arm for a bit.”

Quinn had no objections to that arrangement, and he threw his cloak back over one shoulder so that she could take his arm. She walked close to him, and he could feel that he was carrying some of her weight now.

“What happened?” he asked tentatively after they had walked a few paces.

Jasta smiled. She was still pale, but some of the colour – healthy colour – was returning to her cheeks now. “I allowed myself to become over-excited,” she repeated simply. Seeing his confusion, she smiled, patted his hand reassuringly, and elaborated. “I was in a fire when I was young and my lungs were badly damaged. I can’t be too active or allow myself to become too excited or else I have trouble breathing. Usually it’s only a problem in the summer – especially back home … sorry, back in the Westland, where it gets quite humid. But here …”

She took a slow, deep breath and let it out again. “The ocean air is wonderful, and it makes it so much easier to breathe. Still, when I over-excite myself, there can be problems.”

She was stronger now, and Quinn felt a rush of disappointment when she released his arm to walk on her own again.

“And there’s nothing that can be done?” he asked, clasping his hands together behind his back to hide his disappointment.

She shook her head. “Not that I or anyone with whom I’ve spoken are aware of.” She smiled again, her blue eyes sparkling. “But who am I to let it get me down? I fully intend to live life to the fullest I’m able.”

They walked in silence for a minute or two, and Quinn’s mind was working hard, taking in and processing what Jasta had told him.

“So … when you say you can’t be too active,” he ventured, glancing at her to make sure she wouldn’t be offended by his line of questioning, “what … kinds of things can’t you do?”

She didn’t seem bothered in the least. Every bit as cheerful as she had been before she’d had her attack, she replied, “Oh, the things most children do as they grow up. Run around, play active games, learn to use weapons and train with them and such. But I was able to learn a lot from my mother, and watch my brother play with his friends, so I never felt sorry for myself.”

Yet again, she left him feeling ashamed of himself. How often had he felt sorry for himself, with all that he could do, just because he couldn’t fly (or sail, apparently)? How selfish of him.

She was watching him, and she noticed his sudden silence. “Quinn? Are you all right?”

“Yes,” he murmured, his voice soft. “You’ve just … given me a lot to think about.”

“Oh dear.” She didn’t sound the least bit sorry, but rather amused. “I do seem to do that a lot, don’t I?”

When he looked over at her, her eyes were bright with laughter. He was saved from saying anything more when she turned away from him and motioned towards the building they were approaching.

“Here we are!” she announced.

As she reached to open the door, Quinn looked through the front window. There were a few leather goods on sale, and he had to admit that he couldn’t tell their quality by looking at them. Still, they looked good enough to him.

“Come on in,” Jasta said, tugging on his arm again. “I’ll introduce you and show you around.”

As he followed her inside, his heart began to race again. He hoped this would go all right.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:09 pm

There were two women and a young boy manning the shop when Jasta brought Quinn inside. One woman looked enough like Jasta that he suspected a familial bond – mother, likely – and the other woman looked enough like the first that he suspected something similar between the two of them.

“My mother, Jacinthe, and my grandmother, Calima,” Jasta introduced them, confirming Quinn’s suspicions.

Quinn bowed low to each of them in turn, as Jacinthe was behind the counter and Calima was out on the floor, assisting a customer.

The little blond boy was peering out from behind the counter, keeping himself mostly hidden, and Jasta giggled when she introduced him as her little brother, Jamie.

“He’s very shy,” she added as she motioned for Quinn to follow her through the door into the back room.

He chuckled softly. “I noticed.”

In the back room, there was a young man working over a large table covered with pieces of leather of various sizes as well as several tools.

“My older brother, Jess,” Jasta introduced him. “Jess, this is Quinn from Amon Darthir.”

“Hello, Quinn,” Jess smiled at him, nodding his head.

Quinn bowed slightly. “Good to meet you, Jess,” he replied.

It turned out Jess was a fifth-generation tanner and leather smith, though at the moment, his skill was mostly spent in making the actual leather goods while his father and grandfather prepared the leather for working with.

And of course, it was to them that Jasta next brought Quinn.

Her father, Jeremiah, was working hard, checking over various vats of tanning solution and the progress of the skins inside and hardly had the time to stop and talk; but Harna, Jasta’s grandfather, was doing the relatively simpler work of removing the hair from some of the newer hides.

“Jasta tells us you trained to be a soldier,” he commented as he worked. “How are you with a bow?”

“Decent enough, sir, though admittedly I’ve only shot in a range,” Quinn admitted.

“Any experience hunting or trapping?”

“No, sir, there’s little to no game in Amon Darthir. But I am a quick study and I’m eager to learn.”

Harna glanced up at Jeremiah, who was moving from vat to vat. “What do you think, Jeremiah? It would save us some work and quite a bit of coin to have someone hunting for our own pelts, rather than having to buy them from the butcher. Better quality, too, if we can get them faster.”

“It’s a pity River’s so occupied right now,” Jeremiah chuckled. “She would probably be the best teacher he could have.”

“For that matter, she has already said she wants to hunt for us when she’s able again,” Harna mused.

Jasta nudged Quinn’s arm to get his attention and leaned over to murmur in his ear, “River is Jess’s wife; they just had a baby about a month and a half ago.”

“Ah,” Quinn nodded.

“What about Luk?” Harna suggested after a moment’s thought. “He knows what he’s doing.”

Jeremiah nodded. “Worth a try. And he’ll need a place to stay … we haven’t got the space …”

“Jess and River have,” Jasta spoke up with a bright smile.

“But if he’s going to be learning to hunt and trap from Luk,” Jeremiah began to point out; but he was interrupted by his father-in-law.

“We don’t even know that, and it would be prudent to find that out first.” He looked at Jasta. “Find some paper, Jasta. I think I’ve an idea that might be interesting to everyone involved.”

Quinn watched, feeling rather useless as the situation evolved around him.

“Is there something I should be doing?” he asked, watching as Jasta moved to get the requested paper and pen.

Harna chuckled. “As long as you’re sure you’d like to give this a try, just wait a few minutes and then go with Jasta on her delivery.”

Quinn nodded uncertainly. Yes, he wanted to give this a try – for more reasons than simply avoiding sailing or flying back home – but he still felt like he should be doing something useful. Still, he had been told otherwise, so he stood back and stayed out of the way.

He listened as Harna dictated a proposal to Jasta and she recorded it. He had to admit, it sounded good. If he could live with Luk and his family while Luk taught him about hunting and trapping, the shop would receive half the skins from any creatures caught while Luk would be allowed to keep all the meat and any money made from selling the meat. Quinn’s pay would not be in coin, but in room and board; and when Luk deemed Quinn a proficient hunter, they would find another living situation for him.

He hoped this Luk person would agree.

“Thankfully,” Jasta said as she and Quinn left the shop behind, “Luk does not live far out of the city. We should be quite safe without any weapons. Animals very rarely if ever come close to the city.”

He wondered what she meant by ‘animals’. He knew of so few … rocs, dragons, birds, fish … and he had heard of deer, though he had never seen one.

“Who is this guy, Luk?” he asked, curious. “You seem to know him fairly well, considering how short a time you’ve lived here.”

“Oh, we met him several years ago, back in the Westland,” Jasta explained with a smile. “Actually, he’s River’s great-uncle. His sister, River’s grandmother, ended up in the Four Lands but the two of them were reunited several years back. When River and Jess got married, they decided that they wanted to come back here to live, and that’s when the rest of us came here, too. So … yes, we do know him quite well. He’s probably as close to family as we’ve got here without actually being related.”

Quinn nodded. “I see.”

Luk’s house was a two-storey silvery-white marble bricked building, but far from looking cold and imposing, a wooden picket fence around the property, bushes and trees planted strategically around it, and coloured and patterned curtains in the windows gave it a sense of warmth and welcomeness.

“He’s married?” Quinn guessed.

Jasta beamed at him. “Yes. Just a little longer than Jess and River.”

She led him to the front door and knocked. A muffled voice called for them to enter, and Jasta opened the door and stepped in, moving aside so that Quinn could follow her.

“Jasta! Welcome!” a rust-haired woman greeted her warmly. She was very pregnant, and at the moment was kneeling on the floor to pull a shirt onto a very little boy with strawberry-blond hair. “Who’s your friend?”

Jasta smiled. “Lily, this is Quinn, a Sky Elf from Amon Darthir. Quinn, this is Lily, Luk’s wife, and her son, Vaartan.”

Quinn bowed in greeting. “A pleasure to make your acquaintance,” he said formally.

“Likewise,” Lily smiled. “And what can I do for the two of you today?”

“Actually, we’re looking for Luk,” Jasta replied. “Is he home? Papa and Grandfather have a business proposition for him.”

Lily blinked and looked at her, surprised. “Oh?”

Jasta gestured towards Quinn. “They’re hoping Luk would be willing to train Quinn in hunting and tracking. He’s already a decent archer. Then when he’s ready to go on his own, they would like Quinn to be our main fur supplier.” She held out the letter she had prepared on her grandfather’s behalf. “Here are the details.”

Lily pushed herself to her feet – with difficulty – and took the note from Jasta. She opened it and read it, her eyes skimming quickly over the words. As she read, her son giggled and ran off into another room of the house.

“Well, it certainly looks like a fair proposition,” she murmured thoughtfully. “Luk isn’t home right now, but I do expect him for lunch, if you’d care to wait around for an answer.”

Jasta looked at Quinn. “Well, we couldn’t make it back to the inn and back before then,” she murmured, “and there wouldn’t be much point in going back to the shop just to turn around and come straight back again. What do you think?”

Quinn smiled and shrugged. “I leave it to you.”

Smiling, Jasta turned back to Lily. “Thank you; that would be welcome. We’ve been on the go since early this morning. Is there anything we can help you with while we’re waiting?”

“Well, if you wouldn’t mind helping me to prepare lunch,” Lily suggested with a grateful smile. “Or perhaps simply take care of Vaartan? He’s at the age where he’s quite talented at getting into trouble.”

“I’ll take care of Vaartan,” Quinn offered, “if Jasta wants to help out with lunch.”

Both Jasta and Lily looked surprised, but then they both smiled.

“Thanks, that would be very helpful,” Lily said appreciatively. “He’ll be somewhere on the lower floor, we installed a gate at the bottom of the stairs.”

With a grin and a nod, Quinn went off in search of the little boy.

Last edited by Nara-pyon on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:39 pm

Thanks to his two younger siblings, Quinn was used to playing with kids, and he had fun with Vaartan while Jasta and Lily prepared lunch. It wasn’t long before Luk arrived, and Jasta introduced Quinn once more and explained the situation and the request, handing over the proposal from her grandfather once more.

Rather than giving an immediate answer, Luk suggested that they sit and enjoy lunch to give him a bit of time to think about it. Throughout the meal, he asked Quinn many questions about himself, for which Quinn couldn’t fault him. After all, the man was considering taking Quinn, a complete stranger, under his roof to live with his family for an indefinite period of time. Quinn answered all of his questions honestly and freely, and he could tell that Luk was getting more comfortable with him as the meal went on – by the end, he was smiling a lot more freely than at the beginning of the meal.

“Well, it’s clear Vaartan’s quite fond of you,” he chuckled as his son tried to share the remains of his meal with Quinn, who accepted it with an amused chuckle and set the bit of bread on his plate.

“Actually, he reminds me of my younger siblings,” Quinn smiled back at Luk. “They’re much older now, of course, but when they were this age, my twin and I had a lot of fun playing with them.”

Luk smiled and leaned forward in his chair. “Well, I have to admit, I’ve never taught anyone anything before. Still, I’m up for this proposition if you are, Lily.”

His wife nodded, smiling widely. “Absolutely. As you said, Vaartan is absolutely smitten with him and that alone will make things easier for me, if nothing else. Do you have any idea how much easier it was to prepare lunch today?”

Luk chuckled again and turned to Quinn. “Then you are welcome to move in as soon as we’ve a room ready for you. Give us a day?”

“How about the remainder of the week?” Quinn countered. “It’s only three days, and it will give me a bit more time to spend with my siblings, and perhaps have my things brought from Wing Hove.”

“Agreed.” Luk held his hand out to Quinn, and Quinn shook it firmly, sealing the deal.

“Then we should get back to the shop to let my father know,” said Jasta, rising from her seat. “Unless you would like some help with cleaning up …?”

She looked to Lily, but Luk waved her off. “Don’t worry, I’ll be staying home this afternoon, I’ll help her.”

Jasta smiled again. “In that case, thank you very much for lunch, and I shall let Papa know that you have accepted the proposal. I’m sure he will be quite happy to hear it.”

Quinn also rose, and bowed his thanks. “I shall return in a few days’ time. Thank you.”

They bid Luk and his family farewell for the moment and left the house.

“I had no idea you were so good with children,” Jasta commented as they began their walk back into the city. “You really enjoyed playing with Vaartan, didn’t you?”

Quinn couldn’t help the smile that spread across his face, and he felt his face warming slightly. “I like kids.”

“Oh, come now,” Jasta laughed. “That’s nothing to be embarrassed about. In fact, I think it quite admirable. So many our age think only of themselves and their own futures, they don’t pay much attention to others around them, especially children.”

Quinn shrugged. “I guess growing up in Wing Hove before Queen Aerin’s return made me realize just how precious people are – everyone. Mother used to work in the castle. She would wake us up in the mornings and take us to our neighbour next door. She would take care of us until Mother came home in the evenings, though that was sometimes not until bedtime. I didn’t even recognize my father when he came home the day of Queen Aerin’s return. Or Tarron. The only thing I remembered about Tali was her singing us to sleep. I recognized her voice when she came back, but not her face.”

He looked up at the sun. It was quite cool outside, but the sun was bright. It felt good on his skin.

“When we became a family again, it was … probably the most amazing event of my life. Even with training and receiving ranks and … everything. Right from that moment, I knew that the most important thing in life was people. Relationships. Who a person was, what they did, how old they were … it didn’t matter. The only thing that mattered – that still matters – is people.”

Jasta was silent for so long that Quinn was startled out of his thoughts and looked at her to make sure nothing was wrong. She was looking at him with an expression of deep contemplation on her face, and he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

“Um … Jasta?” he ventured at length, starting to feel a bit nervous.

She shook her head as if clearing her own thoughts. “You must not have an enemy in the world,” she murmured.

“Oh, I don’t know about that,” he chuckled. “I’ve made quite a fool of myself these past few years. I’m sure I’ve made at least a few people upset with me.” He smiled sheepishly. “Including you.”

“Mm.” Jasta turned her eyes to the road ahead of them. “Well, consider yourself as having made up for it. You seem to be doing quite well now.”

Quinn felt his face flush. “Thanks.”

Jasta’s family was glad to hear that Luk had accepted Harna’s proposal, and after they had worked out a few more details, Jasta brought Quinn back to the inn.

“I need to check in at the clinic,” she told him as they approached the inn, “but I’ll be by to see you in the morning. Let me know if Tarron and Tali are going back for your things, won’t you? If they are, you’re welcome to come with me for the day.”

Quinn liked the sound of that, and he agreed. “See you in the morning, then.”

“See you in the morning,” Jasta beamed; and with a wave, she left.

As Quinn headed into the inn, he wondered for a moment if his older siblings would tease him about being out with Jasta for most of the day. Then he realized, he didn’t care if they did. After all, it had been quite the day.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2