The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going through Gemia - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 11 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

Going through Gemia - 119 4A - Page 11 Empty Re: Going through Gemia - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:28 pm

"But this time you're asking for our daughter to go with you," Gerald said again.

"Oh, come on, Papa," Rose protested. "Holly's done it once on her own - with far less than she has now - so it will be easier with two of us."

"But now she has much more," Gerald said firmly, "and that will only serve to make both of you targets for anyone who wants some easy money. Two girls, on their own, lots of money, or stock, or whatever it is you have with you, and let's face it - very pretty girls, at that - it would not be difficult for people to take advantage of you two, or simply rob you blind. Or worse."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:54 pm

Holly did wish she had a fraction of Lin's ability, if nothing else, to convince Gerald otherwise. She never asked, but she could tell from Lin's figure that she was a fighter, or at least had been trained as one. Granted, it probably wasn't proper, to be someone like Lin.

The neko sat back, as if accepting Gerald's point but Holly was calculating the amount of risk. Gerald needed confidence that Rose would be okay.

"It's true, any town would hold some amount of risk," Holly replied slowly, "But I'm hoping that it won't be just any town we settle."

Not wanting to chicken out, she plowed on before Gerald got the wrong idea.

"There is a country that has a trading hub town called Barton, that is where ideally I would like to go. Many ideas and styles pass through those walls on a regular basis, and most importantly it's a safe location. It has to be to continue to do trading business, and if we seek the patronage of one of the clans in the area that should give us enough protection."

It was a half truth, Holly had never been to Barton, but was familiar with the city. She was also, maybe bit of a fan of Helen Winters' designs. Though seeing Earendil, she understood very quickly where he got some of his inspiration from.

She was a bit envious, maybe she would gather some designs during their journey too like he had.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:03 am

"Hold on, right there," Gerald frowned, holding up one hand. "Another country? Are you saying that you would like to take my daughter out of Gemia?"

That was an idea he didn't like at all.

"Another town in Gemia is one thing, but to take her to a different country - that I'm not at all certain of. It's almost a guarantee that we will never see her again then."

"Hey," Rose protested, "I'm sitting right here. You don't need to talk like I'm not in the room. It's not a decision I'm making lightly. Holly is going, and I would like to go with her to help her. She's my best friend and I don't want to leave her in the lurch. Besides that, you keep saying I need to get married soon - and if you think I'm going to marry anyone in this town, think again, because I would rather die alone than marry any of those clowns."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:11 am

Really, Holly should have remembered that Rose was a bit of a hothead when using dinner as a method to ask permission. It took a lot of control not to facepalm or give Rose a look.

"They're not clowns..." Holly replied softly, "They're just not... suited for you. There's a difference."

Okay, there were some who were clowns or worse, but besides that, it wasn't like the men here were all horrible. It was just that Rose required far more freedom than appropriate in this town.

"And I understand your worry, but I would like you to know that this is also an offer I extended to Rose because I don't want her to be unhappy," Holly told Gerald bluntly, "She is my best friend, and I know Rose. Marriage here, no matter what anyone says, will not make her happy. If Rose does not come with me, I will at the very least leave her with enough of my estate so she will never have to worry about needing to marry."

That had actually been Holly's original plan before agreeing to take Rose with her, because she knew, Rose would never want to marry here.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:18 am

"Clowns," Rose repeated under her breath.

Christine and Gerald exchanged glances. That was something they had been afraid of, though they'd been thinking for a while now that it just might be a possibility. They wanted her to marry more than anything, really, because being a spinster - even a well-off spinster - was not a good position for any woman to be in.

At any rate, it did make them think about it a little more openly.

"But why another country?" Gerald asked after a long pause, looking back at Holly again. "Why not elsewhere in this country?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:38 pm

"Because, this country is the only place where all races can converge without suspicious, fear, or distrust," Holly replied.

She had no idea there really was only one country like that, Caras Galadhon. What she really was thinking was home, of a place she could be herself, where there wasn't just one race, and one idea, and one way of living. Not to say her home was perfect, there were still people who had thoughts on how one should live, and who one should marry. There was prejudice if one knew where to look, but it was nothing like this. It wasn't the constant suspicion of even one's own race.

Of course, Holly was a city girl at heart.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:07 pm

Whether fortunate or unfortunate, Rose's parents knew nothing of Caras Galadhon. That didn't mean that they felt any better about the suggestion.

"And why would you need a place like that?" Gerald asked, his voice frosting. His eyes were hard. "Travel is one thing, and to travel through a country to get to somewhere specific is another - but to intend to stay in a place where many races pass through - that is just foolishness. Absolutely not."

"Papa!" Rose protested.

"No." Gerald's tone was final. "You will not go to a place where you will be at the mercy of all kinds of people. I don't want to hear another word about it."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:37 pm

Holly's pressed her lips together in a thin line as she furrowed her eyebrows. She should have figured that was pushing it too far but at this point she didn't think it matter.

"Really, I don't think it would matter if where we went was in this country with other humans or in another where there are more than humans," Holly told Gerald a matter of fact, "Let me be clear Gerald, I respect you, as someone's daughter and as a businesswoman, but this is exactly why I want to go to this country."

She was tired of beating around the bush, keeping in the one thing that had bothered her since she arrived.

"I am tired of the constant mistrust everyone has to anyone, human or otherwise that walks through this town. It doesn't matter if the traveler is human, has the same values and has nothing but the clothes on their back and a bag full of goods, there is always a sense of wariness as if they would turn around and burn the town to the ground if given half the chance."

The irony (or maybe Holly knew) of the statement was that, that was her at one point in her life.

"I understand if you do not want Rose to join me, but don't call my dream of wanting to see a place where everyone, no matter their status, or their race, can go without being treated like.. like a leper as foolish!"

It was probably a Gaian term, to use the word 'leper' but Holly was so emotional for the first time in years she didn't care. Tears welled in her eyes because deep down, whether she would admit it or not, she was bitter about the coldness this town showed to her when she arrived. She was bitter about being nearly killed for being not human when she first came to this world. Whether she liked it or not, she was bitter about having to watch her every word, her action, to be a 'perfect' lady in ways that was so outdated it was pathetic.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:00 am

Rose reached over and put one hand on Holly's arm, trying to calm her friend, but she was glaring at her father.

"Gerald," Christine spoke up before Rose could speak, "stop. Holly is right. What she decides to do is her business, not ours."

Gerald looked at his wife darkly, but she wasn't finished.

"Holly was simply asking for permission for Rose to go with her, not a lecture on the decisions that she makes," Christine lectured her husband angrily. It was more evident now than ever where Rose got her fiery spirit from. "You've made your position clear, and I agree with you-"

"Mama!" Rose protested; but Christine cut her off with a glare before continuing her lecture to her husband.

"-but Holly has a right to feel the way she does. Think of how she was treated when she came to our town! A young girl like her was left on her own, ignored by everyone around her. She has a point! The people here are ridiculous!"

"But her optimism is not something that will be shared by all," Gerald countered quietly but firmly. "There is optimism and there is the real world. And the real world is dangerous."

"But the travelers will take her all the way," Rose interjected dejectedly. "And if the place they brought Holly was dangerous, I'm sure they wouldn't let her stay there either."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:13 am

"And..." Holly replied with equal softness, "Isn't it the fact that they all live together proof enough that it is possible? Yes, they aren't proper. The winged woman is married to an elf, but she has opened up her heart to raise a girl with many tails and an elven boy who looks nothing like her husband as her own. There are clearly very different elves married to each other, they treat each other like family and yet they are not the same."

Even Holly had to admit, that was extreme even if a number of them were Gaians. Yet she had been told many of them were related, not necessarily by blood or marriage though.

"No group so different in race, background and birth land could possibly come together if they didn't have some amount of caring towards those who are not part of their circle. Complete strangers do not come together and become close friends without a bit of trust."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:23 am

Gerald and Christine both fell silent at that. Neither of them could deny that Holly had raised a very valid point.

"How can you even judge the group before you've met them?" Rose asked with a sigh. "I know, it's what we do as a society. But Mama, you just said yourself that it's not the way things should be. So if you don't at least meet them before judging them, you're just being hypocritical."

Her parents remained silent, though now they both looked stunned, and Florence looked at her parents, one at a time, and then laughed.

"Good call, Rose!" she chortled, reaching for seconds (while the others had barely touched their food so far).
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:47 am

"Florence...." Holly murmured but smiled softly all the same.

Trust Florence to break the tension, even if Holly was pretty sure the young woman never meant to do that in the first place.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:07 am

"It is fair," Christine admitted.

Gerald however was starting to put a few things together, and he was looking at Rose suspiciously.

"You speak like you've spent time with them," he said slowly.

For a moment, Rose looked like she might actually be blushing; but then her cheeks cooled again and she raised her head confidently. "I have," she said strongly. "I've been to see them twice. Once to meet them and again today to help Holly with taking some measurements. She's making clothes for them."

Gerald's jaw clenched, and colour rose in his cheeks.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:12 am

"I will admit to not stopping Rose on the first meeting," Holly added, "But... it did get me business so I can't really complain, and I get to try out a new design."

She really had wanted to make some wa lolita clothing for a long while, but Miyuki would be her first taker.

"I needed Rose's help because there were going to be additional measurements I don't normally take, and she was willing to help."

As in, Holly knew very well she could never ask her apprentices for help, they would probably balk at the idea.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:27 am

"And before you get angry, Papa, just remember that you were the one who gave me permission to go with Holly today," Rose reminded her father.

Gerald's jaw muscles twitched.

"Don't forget you need to spend some time with them before you can judge them - or Rose," Florence spoke up. There was a hint of a grin at the corners of her mouth, though she was wise enough not to let it show fully.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:45 am

Florence was enjoying this too much Holly thought, but she couldn't argue about the support.

"The council would not have let them stayed if they were a threat, even though their location is guarded," Holly pointed out finally, "Just... go meet them, there's no harm in that, not when they're strangers in this town."

It wasn't like they were visiting another country to see the travelers after all.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:54 am

"And just ... in the back of your mind, at least think about letting me go with Holly," Rose added quietly. "Ask them any questions you want, get the information that you need, and then make a decision."

She neglected to point out that at twenty three years of age, she was very much an adult and capable of making her own decisions. If she was going to be leaving her family, she wanted it to be on good terms, after all. And Kyrie had already said that if her parents didn't agree, she wouldn't be going with them.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:24 pm

The rest of the meal went very quietly as most of the occupants at the table were somber with thought. Holly knew she would have to think carefully on how she would convince them, otherwise Rose would get left behind.

If she didn't run away first...

It was that thought that lingered with Holly as dinner finished up and she parted ways from the family. Hopefully tomorrow would be better.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:55 pm

Rose was gloomy when Holly left, but she knew she couldn't push the matter further at the moment. She didn't want to push her parents too far.

When morning came, Rose made her parents promise that they would come to meet the travelers by lunch time that day before she headed over to Holly's place to see if she needed any help again.

For the first time in years, she looked up at the bell when it tinkled as she opened the door and entered the shop. Who knew how many more times she would be entering it and hearing that bell?
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:02 pm

Amelia was there, as Holly had been pulling her in to work the front counter more in the past few days. She greeted Rose, who had become a staple in the shop and motioned to the backroom where Holly was working.

A lot of people thought Holly had some massive orders come in recently as she brought up outside stock of things like cotton cloth, linen, leather, lace and threads. Silk wasn't a common cloth here due to the fact silkworms and their food wasn't actually found in this region. Holly wasn't willing to buy that stock, not when she knew they could travel and maybe find it somewhere else at a cheaper price.

She brought the ingredients needed for dyes, for embroidery, for knitting and more. However this was brought using her own personal funds as she would take it with her. The bag Miyuki had sent along was a life saver, and since (somehow) Holly was taking Rose with her, all her personal wealth that was movable would stay with her.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:19 pm

Rose greeted Amelia distractedly and followed her finger to the back room. She saw Holly packing her bag, and stopped just inside the doorway and leaned against the wall, watching her quietly.

She wanted to speak, to say something, but she had little energy today. She was still very down from the reaction her parents had had the night before, and she hadn't slept well that night. Instead, just just watched.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:41 pm

As Holly didn't hear Rose come in, she was startled when she looked up to see Rose there.

"How long have you been standing there?" Holly asked as she closed up the bag.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:48 pm

Rose shook her head. "Just a moment," she murmured in reply. She pushed herself away from the wall and meandered slowly towards Holly. "Mama and Papa have promised to come meet the travelers before lunch. I came to see if you need help with anything."

She eyed Holly's bag. "Though you look about finished."

How would she pack her own things, she didn't know. She didn't have any bags of any sort. She had a basket she used when she needed to carry things around, but that was it.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:07 am

Holly nodded, "I had been prepping since the day before yesterday so I have had a lot of time to pack..." she paused.

She realized that Rose didn't have a rune bag, or any bag. Never needed one, while Holly always had a bag in case she had to make house calls.

"We should ask Miyuki for another bag," Holly added after a moment.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:10 am

Rose blinked at Holly. "Another ... another bag?" she repeated. She was stunned by Holly's comment. "Then ..."

She looked at Holly thoughtfully. Had Holly guessed her intentions?

Probably. No one knew her like Holly did.

Still, there were appearances to be kept.

"So you're hopeful about my parents changing their minds?" she asked.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next