The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wandering Through Wolsic - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 11 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

Wandering Through Wolsic - 119 4A - Page 11 Empty Re: Wandering Through Wolsic - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:19 pm

Lancaeriel nodded. "We could simply paint it, or add leaves or whatever to it, but we're traveling through such varied climates that would be pointless," she murmured. "Camouflage runes are probably the best. It doesn't help for those looking from a distance, though if we hide it well enough that won't be a problem, but for those who are within ... well, a certain distance, and the larger the distance, the more power it will need, would simply think of it as any other part of their environment, as normal as any tree or rock."

It was difficult to explain how it would work. More difficult would be adding the exceptions: that those who knew of it, who lived in it, would still be able to see it and know it was there.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Wandering Through Wolsic - 119 4A - Page 11 Empty Re: Wandering Through Wolsic - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:37 pm

"So it would only work at a certain distance as it would take more power to give it a greater range," Miyuki repeated but in her own words.

Only because her teacher was making the explanation convoluted, which was normal when one had more technical knowledge than the other.

"And I'd imagine the easiest way to make sure no one else looses the tent, is that once they know where it is, they can always see it," Miyuki paused, "Kind of like... your eyes pass over it until someone points it out to you. It's probably a lot easier that way if it's possible rather than to key to everyone individually, instead key it to only a handful of people. Since every time the tent is moved you'd have to re-show where it is."

It was like a mixture of a mind game and an illusion, and illusions were just mind games at times anyways.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:56 pm

Lancaeriel nodded. "Precisely. But it is far from simple, and it has been a very ... very long time since Cael and I have had to use such runes. And as neither of us has our research notes with us, it may take some experimentation before we can get it to work."

She ran her fingers through her hair and smiled sheepishly. "That's one array we used ... very rarely. It was easier simply to disappear, ourselves."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:01 am

Miyuki giggled, "Well it has been a long time and it's not like you'd need everything you ever researched all the time."

It was only to be expected.

"So, since the camouflage array is more about security, should we work on that first? As that would take a bit more experimenting on, we could use one of the old tents as a test."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:55 am

"Well, if you want to leave that part to Cael and myself, perhaps you might start with making some rooms in which we can wash," Lancaeriel suggested. "My understanding is that once we're in Jielam, we're not going to want to wash outside anymore, as it will be quite cold, so even if all we start with is basins, it would be something."

She thought for a moment, then added, "And if Daeron is going to be doing any woodworking for us, perhaps he might like a room aside from his living quarters in which to do it. You might ask him about that."

The tent was going to end up being far more than simply a home, at this rate: it was going to end up being a town of its own!
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:03 am

That was a good point, there seemed to be more and more prep work that needed to be done when it came to traveling up north. Preservation runes for fruits and veggies, one large tent so they wouldn't freeze...

"Well making rooms won't be as time consuming, it's getting easier with practice," Miyuki murmured, "I'll ask Uncle Dareon and since we're on the topic of preparing for really cold weather I probably should finish outfitting the kitchen..."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:09 am

Lancaeriel smiled. "It would be nice," she agreed. "Without an indoor fire we can cook with, hiding the tent will be rather pointless - unless of course we eat only uncooked food."

Which was something no one would look forward to, even if it did mean a break from cooking for everyone.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:19 am

"It would probably also be more..." Miyuki looked for the word, "effective than using an open pit."

To contain it in something like a stove would mean less wood use and something that would stay hot longer as well. It might even mean less firewood in the long run.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:28 am

"Indeed, yes," Lancaeriel said warmly, wistful of the idea. "But at any rate, I'll confer with Cael if you'd like to speak with your uncle. But don't stay up too late, I think Kyrie said something about we might reach the volcano tomorrow."

It was getting quite late, and many of the others had already retired to their rooms for the night. Wren was taking the first shift watching, so she was sitting by the fire, but no one else was visible outside.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:23 pm

Miyuki nodded, "I'll ask him tomorrow then. I just need to know if he needs a woodworking room."

And then when they stopped again to gather materials she could go work on that. She imagined gathering the materials needed for this gun or black powder might take a while. Not to mention, Eron had mentioned it had to be mixed with other things to make it work.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Lancaeriel smiled and nodded. "Good night, then, Miyuki," she told her student warmly. "Rest well."

And with that, she was off to her room for the night.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Deciding that not much else could be done for tonight, Miyuki also took to her room.

As Lancaeriel had said, the next day Kyrie got them on the move again, saying they would be at the volcano by tomorrow. Deciding that now would be a good time to talk, it wasn't until they started traveling that she approached her uncle.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:05 pm

Daeron was of course walking with his wife, and he was taking his turn to carry Amir. He had the boy high on his shoulders, and Amir was glowing with delight, his arms wrapped safely around Daeron's forehead, his eyes wide as he looked at the world around them. Not that it was any different from the landscape of the past few days, but he still seemed entranced by it.

Iorlas was at last in high spirits again, and while Daeron was holding onto Amir with one hand, Iorlas was holding his other hand as they walked.

"Oh, Miyuki!" Iorlas beamed, the first to spot their niece as she approached them. "It's been a while since you've come for a chat. How are things?"

Daeron turned his head as well as he could with Amir's legs around his neck and grinned at Miyuki. "Morning," he said cheerfully.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:06 pm

"Morning," Miyuki replied all while waving up at Amir, "Things are going well, more additions to the tent are going to be made. Speaking of which..."

She glanced at her uncle.

"Lancaeriel and I would like to request some woodwork, tubs for the bathing rooms, but that requires a workspace. Would you like a woodworking space?"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:20 pm

Daeron's eyes lit up. "Would I?" He laughed. "You bet I would! I haven't had the chance to do any real carving since I left Haven!"

He paused, still grinning, though his eyes seemed to grow distant and thoughtful. "Though ... if I'm going to make tubs, I'm going to need some more tools than I have now ... and I'm going to need someone to do the metalwork ... and it's not quite Andarien's style. I need someone with the skills of a cooper."

He glanced back at Miyuki. "Do you think Shoneah would be able to do that? She did more practical metalwork back at her home, from my understanding ..."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:30 pm

"I don't know..." Miyuki admitted, "I think she might be able to, though I don't know how large the difference is to go from bullet casing to something larger..."

Bullets were quite small, but on the other hand it was that kind of practical metal work that Shoneah did seem suited for.

"I would have to ask."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:32 pm

Daeron smiled. "Well, it's not like there's much else to do while we're walking," he pointed out with a chuckle. "But it is the best way to get these projects of yours done. And I bet you're learning a lot while you're doing it, too."

He grinned. He knew how eager she had been at the beginning of their journey to learn all she could about runes.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:44 pm

Miyuki chuckled at this and nodded, "I am, granted I never thought it would be so focused on how to make a working house in every way possible."

Things just kept getting added and added over time.

"Then again I don't know what I imagined when I thought of learning runes."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:52 pm

"House, workplace, you name it," Daeron chuckled again. "You're making a veritable palace out of a simple tent."

"I would never have thought it possible," Iorlas admitted with a smile. "I know Lancaeriel's abilities have never ceased to amaze me, but Miyuki, you are not far behind in that."

It wasn't as if she had seen everything Lancaeriel could do either; but she was well aware that Miyuki was learning to do just about everything she was setting out to do.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:58 pm

"But I've had a lot of help," Miyuki replied, but she smiled at the compliment all the same, "A lot of this Lancaeriel has already touched upon in the past, so it's just getting a point in the right direction. Though, this time we're both going to work on the tent but at separate projects because of where we'll be going to next."

So she would get work on the bathing rooms and Lancaeriel and Cael would work on hiding the tent.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:07 pm

"Then whatever is going to happen, I'm sure it will be big," Iorlas smiled. "Still, I'm not concerned. I have every confidence that you will both accomplish whatever it is you've decided upon."

"What is your plan for the bathing room, anyways?" Daeron asked curiously. "I thought you had at first decided against making such a room because of the logistics of fetching and disposing of water efficiently."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 pm

"Water runes, runes to make water appear and disappear, effectively creating something that can be filled and then drained," Miyuki explained, "That was Lancaeriel's suggestion, so one of the bathing rooms will be a tub for bathing and another room will have a shallower tub for a shower like the ones at Caras Galadhon. I asked if the latter was possible because wings and things make bathing in a tub difficult."

And she would fully admit this.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:12 pm

Daeron chuckled at that. "Well, I won't question it. I'm not the one with extra appendages."

Iorlas swatted his arm with her empty hand, but she was grinning at him.

"You said that Lancaeriel is working on another project for the tent, though," she added, looking back at Miyuki. "What is that?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:30 pm

Miyuki laughed, if Iorlas hadn't whacked him, she might have.

"Because of the next location we're heading to, she thought of camouflage runes. She said it was something that she and Cael have worked on but it wasn't something they ever needed to use so there would have to be testing done first," she explained.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:48 pm

"I wonder how that would work," Iorlas mused. "I might be afraid to leave the tent, in that case, or to go far from it."

"I'm sure they'll take that into consideration," Daeron chuckled. "Don't worry. I have faith in Lancaeriel. Look what she did for you, after all. Somehow hiding a tent seems a bit easier to me."

Not that he was the one using the magic, but that wasn't the point.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next