The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wandering Through Wolsic - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

Wandering Through Wolsic - 119 4A - Page 13 Empty Re: Wandering Through Wolsic - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:11 pm

"Cooper's work," Daeron smiled at Shoneah. "Rings to put around the tubs, hold them together. You said you did metalwork with your father back home, practical things. Is that something you'd be able to do? No pressure, if you can't we'll just buy the stuff when we reach the next town, but we thought you might be interested."

Shoneah was surprised at first, but then she looked thoughtful. "Well ... it's been a while," she murmured, "but ... I could give it a try. I have to say, I haven't seen any of the proper material amongst Andarien's supplies ..."

"Is it something we could find somewhere?" Iorlas asked curiously.

"I don't know the land well enough to say," Shoneah shrugged. "I'd have to ask Kyrie." She smiled. "I'll ask her. I wouldn't mind the challenge."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Wandering Through Wolsic - 119 4A - Page 13 Empty Re: Wandering Through Wolsic - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:03 pm

It wasn't until Shoneah mentioned it that Miyuki had realized that not all places would have the same materials in terms of metal. So who knew if they would be able to find what they were looking for.

"Hopefully," Miyuki murmured in agreement, "I'll be making a woodworking room, since this needs to go on the tubs, would it be easier if the two rooms were connected? The woodworking and the metalworking rooms?"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:10 pm

"Might be quieter and cooler for woodworking if they weren't," Daeron suggested. "Maybe just have then next to each other in the hallway. It's not like it would be far to go from one room to the other."

"Or is it possible to put runes on the connecting door, if there was one, to keep heat and sound out when it's closed?" Iorlas asked Miyuki curiously.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:20 pm

"I don't see why not," Miyuki replied, "Actually heat and sound damping runes are probably the easier suggestions I've heard for a long while, because they already exist and they're the book Shiro already read and copied. They are probably the more common rune types to use back in Gaia."

She knew the Lau clan was infamous for using sound proofing runes and seals, so that would be easy. She had read a long time ago when Shiro made her that copy of the book that runes to keep heat or cold in was mainly used for climate controlled rooms.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:25 pm

"Then perhaps that's the way to go," Daeron smiled. "Though it should have a door to the hallway as well, just for safety I think."

"And so that we don't have to go through each others' workspaces unnecessarily," Shoneah added softly. "I know sometimes people just want to work without interruptions." She smiled at Daeron, who chuckled softly.

"There is that," he agreed.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:19 pm

"Completely do-able," Miyuki replied.

Honestly, when it came to this aspect of room creation, this was old hat to her. Which was nice, it was kind of meditative to go through processes she was already familiar with.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:26 pm

"Nice," Daeron smiled. "Then I just need to somehow get the tools I need - unless it's possible to make those, too." He looked at Shoneah again.

She shrugged. "When we stop for the night, we'll sit down with Andarien and get drawings of what you need and see what we can do," she told him simply. "For that matter, I might need tools he might not have to do these things, too."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:50 pm

"Looks like there will be a lot of planning ahead," Miyuki commented.

Which was just as well, after all there was still experimenting that had to be done with the water runes. So it would take Miyuki a while on her end to get anything set up anyhow.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:05 pm

"It's something to keep my mind busy," Shoneah smiled, "and for that alone I'm grateful."

"Well, if you want more to keep you busy," Iorlas giggled, "we had thought to ask if you know how to make a bell as well."

"A bell?" Shoneah repeated curiously.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:29 pm

"Auntie is worried that if Amir needs them while they sleep that they won't know since he doesn't talk," Miyuki explained, "So she was hoping for something that would alert them like a bell he could pull or jingle or something."

Though a bell that could be rung with a string sounded like an easy addition.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:33 pm

Shoneah nodded. "That's something I've not done before, but I've seen designs for them," she mused. "I could give it a try, at any rate."

It was a pity she didn't have a notebook. She would ask someone if she could borrow some paper, but she wasn't sure anyone here had any to spare. She still didn't know an awful lot about this world, but she did know enough to realize that paper was rare.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:10 pm

"That's great to hear," Miyuki replied, relieved that at least Shoneah would try, "At least we know what we're doing once we arrive."

She imagined they would be there for a while, depending on how long it would take to exact the material needed. Something she wasn't quite sure how was done.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:45 pm

It was mid-afternoon by the time they came close to a volcano, and Kyrie directed them towards a small plateau where the ground was level and relatively smooth. Most of the ground in the area was jagged or bumpy, and it was the only flat ground in the area.

"We can safely stay here for a while," Kyrie told them as they prepared to set up the camp. "Earth Elves won't bother us, at least not more than to ask a few questions, and we're safe from animals, too. They mostly avoid the area."

She hesitated as if there were something else to add but wasn't sure whether to do so, and then she seemed to decide to add it.

"It is possible that there may be dragons in the area," she told them, "but they usually keep to themselves. As long as we don't come upon any who are mating, we should be fine." Touching one hand to her abdomen, she smiled and added, "This is where I met Uruloki."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:43 am

"How did you meet Uruloki, I mean..." Miyuki started, "I know he hatched and you two bonded but..."

If this was where he was found, Kyrie was doing something very risky. Not that they weren't at the moment.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:01 am

"Volcanic eruption," Kyrie grinned. "I tried escaping through a tunnel, found his egg, thought it needed saving, grabbed it and ran. I tripped on an incline and his egg rolled into the lava which was rising behind me. For Volcano Dragons, extreme heat like that melts the shells and that's how they hatch. I still thought he was in danger, even though he was walking on the lava just fine, so I grabbed him up again and kept running. We've been together since."

Her eyes sparkled brightly. "I was about Shoneah's age at the time. Young and more foolish than most. I thought I had a good reason to be here, but it turns out it was a fool's errand."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:22 am

Miyuki couldn't help but smile at that image. The thought of Kyrie trying to save a dragon that didn't need saving at all. In fact it sounded like Kyrie was the one who needed saving.

"A fool's errand?" she asked, "What brought you here originally?"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:30 am

Kyrie waved her hand dismissively. "Rumours of Earth Elves using Fire Elves as slaves, complete falsehoods. That was back when I had just first started traveling to help people and I was a little over-enthusiastic. Didn't bother to check things out before I rushed in to save the day."

She chuckled softly. "I did so much research about volcanoes before I came, too, to convince the Earth Elves I was just here to visit the volcanoes ... maybe if I'd paid attention to the information I gathered, I'd have known the eruption was coming and I could have gotten out a bit earlier."

"That sounds dangerous," Shoneah commented cautiously.

Kyrie laughed. "Yes ... very. I barely made it out, and once I did make it out of the tunnel I passed out. Woke up in Ahkshi's clinic, which was how we met. And I've been with both of them since."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:52 pm

Lin chuckled and shook her head, "So in a way it was all worth it. Without that you wouldn't have met Uruloki or Ahkshi."

Who would turn out to be the closest people to Kyrie, so it was kind of funny baring the danger of it all.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:56 pm

"Oh, definitely," Kyrie grinned. "Honestly, aside from running for my life, I actually kind of enjoyed the adventure. Besides, when I came back the second time it was here that I found the best sources of sulphur and saltpeter that I've ever seen."

"When can we get some?" Shoneah asked eagerly.

Kyrie grinned. "Let's get set up and rest for the rest of the day. I'll take you in tomorrow. It's a bit of a hike, but if anyone else wants to come ..." She looked around at the others, leaving the invitation open.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:20 pm

"I'll come as well," Eron spoke up.

While he didn't need gunpowder, to have some sulphur and saltpeter to work with would be good. He hadn't quite decided what else they could be used for. Though he could also create gunpowder and then by extension fireworks, there was always that.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:33 pm

Kyrie nodded. "Anyone else?" she asked, looking around at the others.

But the others all shook their heads. It came as no surprise to Kyrie: elves of this world typically hated being underground.

"Then it's the three of us," she grinned. "But for the rest of the day, let's just relax and enjoy ourselves."

It didn't take long for everyone to get around to relaxing. Some went for naps, others sat around ... and Andarien went to work in his forge. Shoneah went off to join him.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:24 pm

As promised, Miyuki began work on the new woodworking room, placing it right beside the forge room. She would have to finish this room before anything like the tubs could be made. Since she was busy with room making again that allowed her Pokemon to sleep or run about as they pleased.

Ai, was more than happy to just rest with Eon, while Suki was just exploring everywhere she could while still being in the camp.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:06 pm

They had a nice quiet afternoon and evening, and this time they had four shifts for night watch. It was a quiet night, without incident, and come morning nothing else changed. Wren prepared breakfast for everyone, though some were out earlier than others, and once Kyrie, Shoneah and Eron had eaten, Kyrie headed off with them, promising the others that they would be back by mid-afternoon at the latest.

For once, Andarien took a day off from his forge, choosing instead to train with his Pokemon - or at least, with Eon, Zeus and Ponydash, and instead of having Kaede join them he let her play with Amir. It actually served a few purposes: it kept Amir busy, kept him from wandering, and kept Kaede from getting lost, which was a talent she had never lost. Iorlas also appreciated it, since it made Amir so happy.

"Well, this is an odd feeling after all this time," Earendil mused to Lin. He was sitting cross-legged on the ground, sharpening his sword, enjoying the sunshine. There were no clouds in the sky, and the temperature was warm without being hot: overall, perfect weather. In his opinion, at least.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:52 pm

"What feeling is that?" Lin asked from where she sat beside him.

She was writing in a journal, making notes about where they had been and what had happened. Often she had to make notes before going to bed and then rewrite afterwards so she had something consistent. Also, because they had only begun writing after the Garnelian incident. So there was a lot before then that simply hadn't been written and Lin had been spending time racking her brain over the details.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:03 am

Earendil chuckled softly. "Well ... it's just that we're nearly back to the group we used to have. I mean, aside from Cael and Amir, we're back to the same people we were with when we traveled the Four Lands."

Cael pretty much kept to himself and Lancaeriel, and Amir was silent, so it was easy for it to feel like they were back to their original group.

As odd as that felt.

He set his whetstone aside and picked up a cloth to polish his blade. "What are you writing about?" he asked curiously.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next