The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saltmarsh (Time of Flowers 1)

2 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Saltmarsh (Time of Flowers 1) - Page 2 Empty Re: Saltmarsh (Time of Flowers 1)

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:06 am

Caelynn and Ana pulled out their coin purses and began to count. While they did so, Sai held out 25 gold pieces to the man.

"One healing potion for me," he told him, slightly disappointed but at the same time proud that he could afford even that much.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:16 am

Alphonse watched them as they counted out their coin. He handed Sai a healing potion. He looked thoughtfully at the group and rubbed his chin.

"By and by... I figure you're all new to this town, and are of the adventuring stock, so just you're aware, all the trading merchants have offices by the docks. They're more likely to buy anything precious than anyone around town. It's a town, don't get me wrong but this place is backwater at worse sometimes."

It sounded like he was far too use to adventurers coming off the boat from this location, which was probably why he had a shop out of his own home.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:20 am

Sai looked at him thoughtfully. As a (former) thief, he knew about fencing stolen goods: here, he had a chance to sell things legitimately.

"Thank you, that is very helpful," he said with a smile as he tucked his potion into his bag.

A moment later, Caelynn held out a bulging pouch to the alchemist.

"Sixty-five gold pieces for four of the kits and one healing potion," she nodded.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:29 am

"Expecting trouble?" Alphonse sounded surprised that they were pooling together coin for that many healing items.

He took the coin and handed them another healing potion and the four specialized healing kits.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:39 am

"It is always better to be prepared," Caelynn replied with a smile as she handed the kits to her sister and put the potion in her own bag. "And we don't know how long it will be before we can resupply."

He didn't need to know how inexperienced they were, that this was their first time out.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:44 am

"True," he agreed, "It's not like clerics and other arcane users of the like grow on trees or anything, and certainly not good ones."

He began to put away whatever wasn't brought.

"Is there anything else you're looking for?" he asked.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:59 am

Ana was busy studying one of the kits they had purchased, and didn't even hear the question. Caelynn shook her head in response. Sai considered what the man had shown them, then shook his head.

"Thanks, but I think we are set for the moment," he told him. "If we need anything more, we will be back, though."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:03 am

"You know where to find me then," Alphonse replied as he began to show them back to the door, "Good luck in whatever crazy you're all up to."

As if adventurers were generally up to crazy, which they probably were.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:11 am

They bid the man goodbye before leaving the house behind.

"It seems a great many people seem to pass through here," Caelynn commented as they walked away.

Sai shrugged. "It's a port. A starting point for people coming to the area, and every area it leads to."

"Fair enough." Caelynn nodded. "So what do we do for the rest of the day?"

Sai shrugged. "Eat. Rest. Keep her from wandering." He pointed at Ana, who had spotted some birds and was wandering after them.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:30 am

Later that evening as Sai had promised Mr. Medani, the group headed to his room to get the full details of their job in private. The man seemed pleased to meet them and invited them into his room. His room was the size of a small studio apartment, clearly meant to be lived in for long amounts of time.

There was a stack of books on the night table beside the bed, there were papers on the desk, and a short bow with a quiver of arrows propped up against a wall. Though he was clearly wearing a rapier and dagger.

"Good Evening," he told them, "I'm glad to meet my party for this little jaunt."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:07 pm

"Good evening," Sai returned the greeting, smiling at their new employer. He gestured to the sisters and introduced them. "Caelynn and Ana."

"Good evening," Caelynn smiled and nodded at Mr. Medani.

Ana smiled and gave him a light wave.

"So," Sai said, turning directly to business, "how can we be of help?"

Of course they were all aware of the job of protecting the gentleman while he explored an old abandoned house.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:31 pm

"Well, let's get into the details shall we?" he motioned for them to take a seat.

His place was big enough for a small couch and two chair, one for the desk and one for a visitor to sit at. He took the desk chair, sitting at the desk.

"I've been told, you have all arrived off one of the merchant ships just this morning, so I'll bring you up to speed about this... quaint little town."

The word quaint had an air of sarcasm to it, suggesting it wasn't as quaint as one would think.

"Saltmarsh has existed for generations, human generations mind you, and this port has always been ideal for trading, though as you can see. It's unusually small for a potential trading hub, this is because the King of Keoland has spent more time at war than at investing into his cities. This has left Saltmarsh at the mercy of pirates and has... encouraged a culture of so-called victimless crimes, primarily smuggling."

He let that information sink in for a bit before continuing.

"At least that was the case until the last few years. You might have also noticed an unusual dwarven population, a silver vein has been found in this region, near this town a few years back. Now the crown has decided it will invest in Saltmarsh, which means coming down on those who break the law. Which comes to my purpose here. I have been hired out by the crown and some merchants to find out how goods are being smuggled into town. Frankly I don't think it's possible to cut it off completely, like I said, it's a culture here, but if I find at least one they will be pleased. I'm sure you can guess where this is going..."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:00 am

Sai sat in the visitor chair, using the motion to hide his confusion. Odd tangent, he thought. What did that have to do with the job they had been offered.

Ana and Caelynn sat together on the couch. They knew what he meant.

"You think this house is a smuggler's base, and you're not so interested in the alchemist - if there is one," Caelynn said, feeling it a bit obvious.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:10 am

"Precisely," Nakos smiled, "The house does have a history, one where there was this hermit of an alchemist who disappeared under mysterious circumstances, so the whole town has stories about it being haunted. Coupled with it's placement near a cliff overlooking the ocean, it has the potential of being a good place for goods to be brought on shore, where exactly this is, is yet to be determined but that is what the house exploration is for."

He glanced over to Sai before turning his attention back to the girls.

"I need extra eyes, not just extra weapons," he explained, "If there are smugglers they are going to be sneaky, maybe have a.. hole or two, and no doubt some hospitality, maybe a gift."

In Thieves' Cant he meant they might have a hidden spot, they weren't going to be friendly and there were probably traps. Which was probably why he wanted a rogue on this venture.

"I know it's odd I didn't say it right out, but like I said, this place as a culture, and I don't know who would sympathize enough to tell, or who is working with the smugglers. I'm a stranger, an elven strange, which is more acceptable because of the Silverstand an elven enclave in the region, but a stranger still."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:21 am

"Then we will all be acceptably strange together," Caelynn grinned, a slight twinkle in her eye.

She liked the sound of this job. If nothing else, it sounded adventurous. And a good learning experience for Ana.

"So what kind of preparations did you have in mind for us to make before setting out?" Sai asked, still sticking to business. "We did pick up some healing potions today, but is there anything else you would recommend?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:29 am

"I have rope and pistons if we need it," Nakos replied, "But extra wouldn't hurt. We're all of elven heritage so dim lightening should not be a problem if we run into that. Honestly there isn't really much else, or at least nothing I can think of. I know I said it was an ideal spot but I have no clue how they're using the area if that is where their smuggling things in."

So they would have to figure that out.

"That being said, our cover is... we're ruin diving in that house," he added.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:32 am

"My sister and I both have rope," Caelynn told Niklos, "and I have pitons as well."

Sai nodded. "I have rope as well, and a crowbar or lockpicking tools, whichever we may end up needing."

It sounded as though they might actually be prepared for the venture.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:52 am

"Excellent," Nakos clapped his hands together, "Just as an adventuring party should, that being said."

He looked at them all with a smile.

"I know I am paying for this, but I do consider us an adventuring party for this venture. As such, please, call me Nakos."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:02 am

"As you wish, Nakos," Caelynn said warmly. "So what time do we meet and leave?"

They'd had a relatively calm day, so if they needed to leave now they could, but if they were going to wait for morning, they could get a night's rest.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:04 am

"We'll leave at sun rise, by the time we get there the sun should be fully out, and... well.. this is an assumption, but if there is a smuggler's ship it's not going to be out in the ocean in broad daylight."

He shrugged a bit, as if he wasn't sure if that was the case, but clearly he was hoping for it.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:51 pm

"Then we will meet you downstairs at sunrise," Sai said, rising from his seat. "Unless there is anything else?"

When Nakos said that there wasn't, the three adventurers bade him a good night and left him.

Sai spoke to the tavern keeper about taking a room for the night, but Ana and Caelynn left him and headed to the nearby forest to spend the night under the trees, as they were so used to doing at home. Both of them, even Caelynn, was homesick for trees after their time at sea, and Ana didn't have to do more than suggest staying in the forest before she agreed.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:07 pm

The cost to stay at this particular tavern was 5 silvers, though meal was included and light ale, so it wasn't a bad cost.

What was known to locals as the Sea Grove Forest wasn't that far outside of town. It was actually right behind the farmlands. The primary trees that grew in this forest were oak trees and it was clear this forest had been left for centuries as it was as many of the trees were thick and tall. If the sisters went deep enough into the woods they could hear the sound of running water.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:20 pm

Sai happily paid the price and after a meal he headed to his room for the night. There, he deliberated a moment before setting up a string across the window and attaching a bell as an alarm if someone tried to break in from the outside, then wrapped his arms around his bag and fell asleep sitting with his back against the locked door.

The sisters didn't go deep into the forest, just far enough that they couldn't see the lights if the town. Ana offered to let Caelynn rest first, giving her her bedroll to sit on. Caelynn sat down, crossed her legs, put her hands together, and closed her eyes to meditate.

Ana took the opportunity to explore nearby, listening and watching for animals and threats. After a while, she climbed a tree, going as high as she dared, so that she could watch the night sky until her sister had finished resting, and she would take her turn.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:39 pm

Ana did notice the clearing of trees and the glow of a lit fire near a hut under the shade of one of the biggest oak trees she had ever seen. It had to be at least 60 feet in height. It was hard to miss as a result as a result. The soft melody of a song carried on the wind, but she had to strain to hear it.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:08 pm

Ana kept an open eye and ear, but she stayed in her tree, simply enjoying the peace of nature around her, until she heard her sister stir from her rest.

Caelynn stood and stretched before looking around for Ana. By that time, Ana had climbed down from the tree and was walking directly towards her.

"Do you hear that music?" Caelynn asked, tilting her head slightly to try hear which direction it came from.

Ana nodded. "There's a hut over there, and a fire," she said, pointing in the direction she'd seen it. "I think it's coming from there."

"Shall we check it out?"

Ana considered it. "If it doesn't take too long," she agreed. "I need to rest yet tonight."

The girls gathered their things together so that it wouldn't be left unattended and made their way towards the hut and the open fire.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next