The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Easing Through Eaulir - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 31 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Go down

Easing Through Eaulir - 119 4A - Page 31 Empty Re: Easing Through Eaulir - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:06 pm

"Pleased to meet you," Killian said warmly, though for the first time he made no comment about her appearance.

Kyrie smiled back at him, though it was clearly forced. "Likewise," she said politely. She grabbed an extra chair and dragged it over to sit behind Killian, Lin and Earendil. When she sat down, however, her focus was on Killian, and her smile was gone. "Where do you hail from?" she asked him seriously. "Kilemtor, Eaulir or Eausin?"

Killian was surprised by how direct she was. "Kilemtor," he said hesitantly. "Why?"

"Have you heard anything from Eausin in the past few years?"

He blinked. "What? No ... what kind of things?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Easing Through Eaulir - 119 4A - Page 31 Empty Re: Easing Through Eaulir - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:10 pm

"Kyrie..." Lin murmured, "Could you... uhm... explain first? I know something is wrong."

Well, it wasn't hard to tell with Kyrie, but sometimes, Lin found that when Kyrie got like this, she became a bit single minded. She didn't mind if they had to leave early, that was their agreement, but she would like a bit of foreknowledge.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:27 pm

Kyrie turned to Lin and in a low voice so as not to alert the others, she said, "Disappearances. Unexplained deaths. Adults, children - entire families."

Killian was shocked. "I haven't heard a thing about anything like that," he admitted. "But when I come on land, I generally come to this area - or where Andarien and Shawn found me. Never Eausin. And sure it's been a while since anyone's come back from there, but ... well, that's not unusual. It's been nearly three years since anyone's come back from Eaulir, either."

"You can't tell us you've been all the way to Eausin today," Earendil frowned at Kyrie. "That's got to be a hundred miles from here."

"Two," Kyrie nodded, "but no. Not so far. But people in the Eaulir settlement are talking about it. It seems someone from Eausin came to ask if the same thing has been happening here. Last week, I think."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:32 pm

Miyuki frowned, "And people have just been disappearing?"

That was frightening to think about, could it be another natural disaster like what they found before? Or was it something else.

"You have a suspicion," Eron stated, not questioned Kyrie.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:07 pm

Kyrie hesitated. "I ... do, but I don't want to say anything. Not yet. I don't want to cause problems where there may not be any. I would like first to investigate and find out what is really going on. If ... if my suspicions are correct ..."

Quiet or not, the conversation was not going unnoticed, and Cael asked curiously, "Does that mean we're moving on early?"

Lashrael was confused. "I thought we were staying for the month," she pointed out.

"Part of our agreement with Kyrie when she agreed to be our guide was that if she needed to stop somewhere or check something out, we would do it," Earendil explained her.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:22 pm

"If something is seriously wrong, we might have to travel early," Lin agreed.

Though she hoped it wasn't whatever Kyrie was thinking it was, because she found whatever Kyrie thought it was, it generally tended to be very bad.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:35 pm

"Unless there are strenuous objections," Kyrie said grimly, "I would prefer to leave in the morning. Eausin is south and west, so it will still be warm for Holly and Rose, which is the best consolation I can offer. It's three days' journey unless we fly."

"Fly?" Killian asked, astonished.

Andarien looked at Shoneah, and there was a relieved look on his face. "I'm glad we got as much Littinum as we did," he murmured to her.

For most of the group, it made no difference whether they stayed or moved on - there was no real attachment to where they were now aside from how pleasant it was, but they knew from previous discussions that Eausin was likely just the same.

"I wouldn't insist on this," Kyrie added quietly, "but there are lives being lost, and it needs to be stopped."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:00 pm

Lin shook her head, "We had an agreement, and I don't think there's any extreme reason to object..."

She glanced at the rest of the group for confirmation.

Miyuki drummed her fingers against the table and thought about what they had gathered.

"I think... we do have enough supplies where we should be fine," she murmured thoughtfully.

That was her main concern, to make sure they would have enough to make the trip and stay outside of a town if they needed to. Otherwise they had everything, and this tent was far better protected than the first tents she had ever created.

"We should active the security runes before going though," the kitsune added.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:08 pm

By this time, Killian had no idea what the group was talking about, and he simply looked around, completely lost, as the conversation continued around him.

Kyrie nodded at Miyuki. "A wise idea. And I think there's enough progress in the gardens that we shouldn't have to worry about food, and hunting is always a simple enough matter."

She looked to her brother for confirmation, and he nodded. "Yes, the gardens are doing quite well," he agreed.

"Then the only question left," Kyrie concluded, "is do we fly or walk? I prefer to fly, I'd like to get this sorted out as soon as possible. If most people stay in the tent, I can take two or three people with me to make sure it's safe before setting up again."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:18 pm

"We might as we fly," Lin pointed out, "I don't think we should have a lot of people walking like we normally do if there is danger, it'll bring too much attention to us. This means a lot of us would have to stay in the tent anyways, so flying would just make it easier."

Besides they weren't going for exploring, if there was something serious going on, flying would be better choice.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:23 pm

Kyrie nodded and looked around. "Then who would like to come with me?" she asked.

She didn't have to explain the situation again. By this time, the entire group was listening and had caught at least enough to have an idea of what was going on.

"I will go," Jassin volunteered, a firm hand on Lashrael's arm to prevent her from doing the same.

"As will I," Mailon added. There was no need for him to stop Daenis from volunteering - besides being in no condition to do so, she was not the type of person to do so.

Earendil wanted to, but he knew he wouldn't be allowed. Again.

"Care for a third?" Daeron offered.

Kyrie nodded at each of them. "I'll accept all your help," she murmured. "And a few more, if there are others - but not too many."

"Sounds like what I was trained for," Shoneah spoke up.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:33 pm

Lin thought about, as she was the only one in her family who could seriously think about it. Miyuki might have too, but she was more reasonable about her abilities, no matter how many milestones she had passed since their last near miss.

"I will go too," Lin finally replied softly, but she glanced at Earendil all the same to make sure he would feel comfortable with it.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:43 pm

From the look in Earendil's eyes, he wasn't happy - but then, he never was when there was some hint of danger, especially when he couldn't help out - but he made no objection, and only nodded in acceptance when Lin volunteered herself.

Wren looked like she wanted to go as well, but she glanced at Khetal and hesitated.

"If you believe that you can be of help," he murmured, willing to accept whatever she would do.

She nodded and turned to Kyrie. "I will come as well."

Kyrie looked around at everyone once more, then nodded. "Then we are seven," she murmured. "Good."

"Make it eight?" Killian spoke up.

Kyrie looked at him, startled.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm

So was everyone else, because no one thought he would volunteer.

"Killian, this could be very dangerous," Lin warned, "And you have only known us for a few hours."

Even though she didn't know Jassin that well, she knew him enough to at least know what he was capable of, and feel comfortable going with him. Same could be said with everyone who had volunteered, with the exception of Killian.

"And this would take you away from your home," Eron added.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:53 pm

"I'm Water Elven," Killian replied seriously. "Eausin, Eaulir, Kilemtor ... it is all one home of the Water Elves. They're my people who are disappearing and dying-"

"-and you could well end up being the next one," Kyrie pointed out. "Do you know how to use any weapons? Do you even have any?"

Killian's pulse quickened, slightly visible beneath his translucent skin. "No," he admitted, "but even so ..."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:03 pm

Lin spoke softly, but firmly, like a mother preventing their child from doing something foolish. To be fair, she was a mother and he was someone's child.

"Killian, all of us who are volunteering to travel with Kyrie, have because we have training in weapons. For some of us," she glanced at Jassin and Mailon, "It was a part of life before traveling."

Even Lin could be included in that. While she didn't have a background like Jassin or Mailon's or even Shoneah's, she had one seeped in training and she had a few hard taskmasters growing up.

"We are volunteering, not just because we want to help, but because we know our limitations and strengths."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:16 pm

"And I understand that," Killian said patiently, "but these are my friends, my family. I need to know what's going on."

"What if he just stayed in the tent with us?" Shiro suggested quietly, looking around. "Then he's not in harm's way, but he can still help out or at least stay in the loop once you decide it's safe enough for the rest of us to come out."

Kyrie sighed and thought about it. "Don't you have people who will worry about where you've gone?" she asked Killian.

He looked at her evenly. "You said you were leaving in the morning. I can let them know tonight and be back by first light."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:25 pm

"This is your call Kyrie," Lin murmured.

He seemed so determined, but in the end, Lin felt that Kyrie should have last say in this. Though she wasn't so comfortable with the idea.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:31 pm

Kyrie set her jaw. "I don't like the idea of someone inexperienced in such situations being in the area," she said quietly but firmly. "Especially," she added when Killian looked like he was going to protest, "someone who has a personal interest in the findings. I am sorry, but your presence would only complicate matters."

Killian's face flushed angrily, but he swallowed back any retort.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:29 pm

"If we find anything, we will come back to tell you," Lin told Killian, "But Kyrie has final word. Not just because she is our guide, but this is for everyone's safety including your own."

Which was why Lin was letting Kyrie make that choice.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:39 pm

Killian nodded silently, but the look in his eyes made Shoneah wonder if they wouldn't have to worry about him showing up in the morning after all.

"Now that that's settled," Lancaeriel broke in with a smile, "why don't we have some dessert? Kyrie, there's some of the main course left as well, if you'd like some."

Kyrie nodded and brought her chair to an open area of the table. "I'm famished," she agreed.

The meal concluded in peace - if perhaps a little too quiet - and then, rather than giving Killian a tour of the tent, Shoneah and Andarien saw him out, and he returned to the ocean. Then Kyrie asked those who would be going with her the following day to meet with her in the foyer. She herself was a bit later than the rest, as she had gone back to her room to fetch a map of the areas where they were going to be traveling.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:15 am

Lin and the others waited for Kyrie in the foyer. Miyuki was there too, but only because she wanted to know what was going on.

Sometimes knowing what was going on was useful in case anything went south. And things had gone south before.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:30 am

When Kyrie returned, she was surprised to see Miyuki among the others, but she made no comment and simply knelt next to the long table on which she rolled out her map. On it was a large bay, cut off from the ocean by two points of land.

"We're here, in Eaulir," she pointed to a spot on the eastern point of land. She moved her finger to an area in the land south and west of them. "This is where we need to go. It's connected to only one other country: Keliac, a land of Light Elves, to the west."

Wren looked intently at the map. "It's much smaller than Eaulir," she murmured.

She was right. It was only about a third the size of the country they were currently in.

"That should make it easier to find what we're looking for, I would assume," Daeron commented.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:37 am

"What are we looking for?" Lin asked.

Sure they knew that people were disappearing, but without an idea of what to look for, it was going to make this trip a bit difficult.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:44 am

Kyrie glanced up at Lin. "Clues," she replied simply. Then, elaborating, she explained, "My thoughts were that we could activate the tent's security tonight already, and leave at first light. We should probably have at least two days' supplies with us, in case we can't immediately set up the tent. What I'd like to do is first try to find Water Elves who might still be there. If we can find people, we need to get what information from them we can - where people have been disappearing from, and when. If we can find no one, we still need to somehow try to pinpoint where people are disappearing from. Only when we know where to look will we be able to look for anything meaningful."

She looked at the others. "By meaningful, I just mean anything at all that might give us hints as to what might be going on. In Illsbruic, there were bodies. Skeletons, but at least it was something. Here, we may not have even that much to go by."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next