The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A - Page 10 Empty Re: Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:38 am

"Or it might not be," Miyuki replied, "We could just say we're traveling to another Light Elven country. I mean... some of our names are a bit more foreign."

Hers certainly was, despite her looks.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A - Page 10 Empty Re: Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:39 am

"That's true," Mirania agreed.

"And even if we do have enough food for a while, anyone would want rest and some fresh water," Lancaeriel added.

"So it's settled?" Cael asked. "It's close enough to the truth, too, that it shouldn't be too difficult to get away with it."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:15 am

"I think that should work," Miyuki agreed.

Now that they had their story, they set off towards one of the houses. The group didn't know which of the two houses could be the one they were looking for.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:21 am

They were just nearing the closer of the two houses when the door opened and a fair-haired young woman stepped out. Despite the location, she was well-dressed, wearing a white, high-waisted dress. She didn't seem to notice the travelers immediately; but suddenly she stopped in her tracks and stared at them, holding one slim hand to her brow to shade her eyes from the noon sun.

"If that's his wife," Cael murmured softly, "I do not understand why he would want to leave for any period of time, let alone an extended one."

Lancaeriel frowned and elbowed him.

"Ow!" He frowned back at her. "I just meant that she's rather pretty, that's all!"

Lancaeriel arched one eyebrow at him.

He held up one finger and, in the most innocent tone he could muster, he defended himself: "I did not say beautiful. Just pretty."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:26 am

Miyuki wanted to crack up, but it wouldn't have made much sense to the woman watching them if she did. Still, she couldn't help but snigger at Cael.

"Are you done digging yourself a hole?" she asked the man.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:55 pm

Mirania laughed. "Speaking objectively, she is pretty," she grinned. "But really, Cael, in front of your wife." She shook her head, in mock exasperation.

"She looks a bit annoyed," Lamruil commented as they drew nearer. "I wonder how often people come out this way. I mean, if the Light Elves stick to their country, and the Dark Elves stick to theirs, and this is the border between the two countries ... it's quite possible that not many people pass this way."

The woman seemed to be in no hurry to go anywhere, at the very least. She hadn't moved since spotting the group, but was still standing, holding the bucket with both hands. She hadn't even bothered to brush her long hair away from her face - and it had to be bothering her, with the breeze blowing several strands across her nose and mouth.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:52 pm

At the very least, the woman wasn't taking her eyes off of them. Miyuki wondered if she thought they were a threat or something. It was quite possible with how closed off everyone was.

Once they were close enough, Miyuki waved at the woman in a friendly fashion. She hadn't heard the woman speak, and she hadn't heard the language of this this place yet to speak.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:03 pm

The woman let go of the bucket with one hand and waved back slowly.

"Can I help you?" she called, her tone more curious than anything. She spoke the same language as Alph, though her words were a bit more crisp, had a more proper sound to them. Lowering her hand, she took hold of the bucket once more, shifting her weight from one leg to the other.

"We're just travelers, looking for a place to take a brief rest," Cael replied with a warm smile. "Some water to refill our canteens."

The woman looked thoughtful, and didn't reply right away.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Was it because they were strangers, Miyuki wondered. The woman didn't seem to want to answer them right away.

"Would that be okay with you?" Miyuki finally asked.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:31 pm

Another few seconds passed before the woman finally nodded her head slowly. "The well is this way," she told them, gesturing for them to follow her. "Come."

She started off around the house, clearly expecting the others to follow.

"Somehow I don't think she trusts us," Lancaeriel commented with a bemused smile.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:45 pm

As they followed her, Miyuki tilted her head slightly, "Can't blame her, she lives near a border out in the middle of no where. Probably not a lot of people come by and there's always worry about someone from the border coming along..."

So she could kind of understand it, even though they were all supposed to be Light Elves.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:00 pm

"I wonder how we'll be able to tell if this is the right place or not," Lamruil mused as they walked.

Mirania shrugged. "I suppose we just do the best we can."

The woman was walking more slowly than the group, and they caught up with her shortly. She took a moment to look at them all closely before she asked, her tone still curious, "Who are you? What brings you here?"

"We're from Quir," Mirania explained with a smile. "On our way to Sleeland to visit my brother. He went traveling many years ago and we've just heard that he married already several years ago, so it's well past due." Then, remembering the first question the woman had asked, she added, "Oh, and I'm Mirania. This is my husband, Lamruil, and our friends: Lancaeriel, Cael, and Miyuki."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:04 pm

That was an impressive backstory to Miyuki, just enough truth to be believable. Since Mirania did have a brother who had moved, it just wasn't to Sleeland.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:11 pm

The woman nodded and smiled, and the smile was warm and sincere.

"How long have you been traveling?" she asked as she led them around the house. On the other side, there was the fence that they had seen from the distance. There was a break in the fence where a well had been dug, and on the other side of the fence was another house, similar to the one they had just come around.

"Two months by now," Mirania replied, glad that the woman seemed to be warming up to them. "I'm sure we could have been much further, but we stopped for a while in Eaulir to enjoy the beach."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:20 pm

"The ocean was so pretty!" Miyuki added.

And it really was, but it was the people they had met so far that Miyuki liked best about it personally.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:23 pm

A thoughtful look entered the woman's eyes, and she murmured softly, "I have never seen the ocean ... I have never left this area."

She paused in her steps and looked at the five of them thoughtfully, as though she wanted to ask them a question: but instead of asking anything, she simply smiled again and said, "My name is Takari. I live here with my parents. My father is not at home right now, but if you would like, I should be happy to ask Mother if you might stay the night. I'm afraid we haven't much room ..."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:55 pm

"Don't worry!" Miyuki assured her, "We can sleep outside, we're use to that and the weather has been good as of late. It's just resting near a home means we can all rest."

Instead of take shifts, which is what they would normally have to do as the old tents weren't protected with runes.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:18 am

Takari smiled again. "If you wish," she agreed easily.

Lamruil took it upon himself to lower the bucket into the well and fill it up. It was attached to a rope and a crank, which made it a fairly simple job. As he worked, the others made conversation.

Curious about the Dark Elf supposedly sighted here, or hereabouts, Lancaeriel looked around thoughtfully and murmured, "Is the border close? We expected to reach it at some point today or in the next few days ..."

Takari giggled, somehow amused by the question. "You are standing directly on it," she replied, her eyes sparkling. "The fence is the border, at least here. I don't know how far south it extends. If you were to stand on the other side of the well, you would be in Elysium."

"Oh!" Mirania smiled. "Then this other house here - Dark Elves?"

Takari's expression froze, and her voice was suddenly cool as she asked, "Is that a problem?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:21 am

Miyuki waved her hands side to side to try to placate Takari, "Not at all! After all, you can't travel through different countries peacefully if you can't be nice to others."

The kitsune placed her hands behind her back and rocked on her heels.

"After all," Miyuki added, "A smile goes a long way when you're traveling in new places!"

That was sort of true, Miyuki always felt a smile went a long way, but that was because she was use to many races, but she figured with a group of Light Elves traveling together to see another Light Elf, perhaps just learning that getting along was a bit more reasonable.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:27 am

Miyuki's response left Takari visibly astonished.

"Forgive my surprise," she stuttered, "but in all my life, you are the first whom I have met who do not seem to think of other races as lesser people."

Lancaeriel blinked, almost as surprised that Takari felt the same way that they did. "Well, we are all just people. Appearance is only skin deep."

Perhaps they would not necessarily have to hide Cael or Miyuki's races ... or perhaps not Cael's, at least.

Last edited by Nara-pyon on Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:30 am

"Besides, when you travel... through other people's homes, you need to learn to treat others how you'd want to be treated," Miyuki added.

The kitsune sided over to Takari and whispered to her like it was a grand secret.

"Besides, while most other people are great, there are people from other races who would say the same about us, so it's only fair..."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:40 am

"Yes, I am well aware of that," Takari smiled, blushing lightly. "That is a part of why racial intolerance makes no sense to me."

Lamruil finished filling the flasks and held his hand out to Takari. "Allow me," he smiled at her.

Almost absently, she passed her bucket to him, and he poured water into it from the bucket attached to the well. The door of the house across the fence opened, and a dark elven man stepped outside. He stopped in his tracks when he saw the group by the well, but at a wave from Takari, he waved back slowly, still staring.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:53 am

Miyuki chuckled and waved as well to Takari. Though she suddenly understood why Mara was so amused (assuming the woman knew of the guard's living situation). He lived right next door to Dark Elves, so of course there would be one around.

Which begged the question, why did he have issues in the first place.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:00 am

The others also raised a hand in greeting, and Mirania turned to Takari and asked simply, "Friend?"

The woman smiled and nodded. "Yes," she replied in a murmur. "I've known him my whole life. He helps provide for Mother and me while Father is away."

Then, as if waking from a stupor, she focused once more on her companions. "But come, you're in need of a rest," she smiled at them. "Come in, out of the sun. It's far cooler inside, and Mother will be quite pleased to meet you all."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:03 am

Now that was interesting to note, Miyuki couldn't help think. So it's possible the Dark Elf the guard was so worked up about was this one, even though the man had been helping the guard's family.

Kind of weird, they had to be missing something.

"Thank you,"
Miyuki replied as they followed Takari in.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next