The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A

2 posters

Page 25 of 34 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 29 ... 34  Next

Go down

A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A - Page 25 Empty Re: A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:02 pm

Shiro grimaced. "Man, that sucks. For us, we all just keep our own appearance wherever we are. At least, under normal circumstances. If we need to sneak in somewhere, then we'll disguise someone, but ... well, and in Keliac we took on Light Elven appearances just for Makaela's sake ... but aside from that we feel pretty safe to be ourselves."

Of course, it helped that their guide was someone who was different from everyone - even the races she half belonged to - and didn't let anyone bother her because of it. Hikaru didn't have that - at least, hadn't had that before meeting this group.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A - Page 25 Empty Re: A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:47 pm

"So I've been told," Hikaru chuckled, "And I might as well get use to the idea by having more of my clothes modified to suit my actual form."

Holly nodded at this, "It can be done, if I don't have time, there are others who can do the modifying, it should be quick. I take it you have clothes that suit most environments?"

"Except for the far north, I gave up on that when I found out that the White Elves can be... kind of violent even towards their own, so it wasn't worth making more than one or two trips up there."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:18 pm

"No need for understatement," Shiro quipped, referring to Hikaru's comment about the White Elves being "kind of" violent. "We know by experience the violence that the White Elves are capable of."

Daenis and Mailon really were two of a kind, considering they were both raised in White Elven villages - and especially considering Mailon's former life, it was quite impressive.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:40 pm

"I have... against my better judgement," Hikaru admitted, "May have observed White Elves under a cloaking spell, thinking I was just too other to fit in properly. I never learned the language, so watching was like watching a foreign film, with a lot of difficulty because snow is such a dead giveaway that you're there... but I understate it because they have a strict hierarchy, where strength is everything. It doesn't remove the fact that it's a violent lifestyle, but when you live in a harsh place like that, it's do or die."

Holly set down her sewing, and looked curiously at Hikaru, "For someone who clearly has had a few bad run ins, you seem to go out of your way to learn about how to fit in more than just to make do."

Snagging a stool, because it seemed like he would be there a while, Hikaru took time to perch himself onto it before answering.

"I guess because I had nothing better to do and it wasn't like I could read a book on it. It's one of those Gaian things I always took for granted until I ended up here. You both know back home, if you wanted to read about a place all you'd have to do is read a book, an article, a journal... watch a documentary to learn. There are people back home whose whole profession is to take apart and talk about the economy, culture, political structure of other countries. And of course many more people whose job it is to teach you the language."

"While here, depending on which country you're in, you might only know the few allied countries or worse yet know nothing at all," Holly added in understanding, "I landed in a human country that had an isolation policy, even among the towns in the same country."

"Yea..." Hikaru grinned, "It's weird at first right? Or even the lack of curiousity is sometimes hard to understand. At least, until I realized that not even stories of what the other countries are like in terms of terrain or environment are even told across countries. If you never heard of countries where there is always snow, or countries where there are no snow, there's no reason to think that what you see around you isn't what everywhere else is like."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:55 pm

"For the most part, the people are content to live their lives as they always have, without curiosity or wanderlust," Shiro agreed. "It's something I find odd, to be honest, but it does also explain why the cultures are still so clearly and completely separate after more than twenty five thousand years of history."

He suddenly realized something else Hikaru had said, and he added curiously, "Has Kyrie offered you dragon's blood yet? It has the property of giving you the gift of languages, so that no matter the language spoke, you can understand it and speak it. The rest of us have all had some - it only takes a drop - and it's what really allows us to travel safely. Misunderstandings were too much of a risk, especially after some of our group went to Garnelia."

Which he still hoped to visit before they went back to Caras Galadhon.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:43 pm

"No.... but I think we were kind of distracted by everything that had been going on," Hikaru admitted, "It didn't help I was dragging my feet on telling everyone."

Especially since he had thought about backing out at the time.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:54 pm

Shiro nodded. "Well, you could always ask Shoneah," he suggested. "Xipil is equally willing, or so she tells us. He doesn't talk to anyone but her so far."

He wondered when that would change. Not that Shiro knew anything about Volcano Dragons and how quickly they grew or how their growth was connected to their other abilities, but if he were to guess, based on the fact that the dragon had barely grown since he had hatched and was now nearly a year old (only?), it might still be a while.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:48 pm

That was interesting to know, and he nodded at the plan.

"I think I'll do that then," Hikaru murmured, "Speaking of which, are either of you going to make wedding suggestions to the couple?"

He really couldn't think of wedding customs off the top of his head, it had been a really long time since he had been to a wedding.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:00 pm

Shiro shrugged one shoulder. "I could tell them about some Gaian customs, but when Mom got married it was a really big deal, so I don't know how much of it will be applicable for them. Royal weddings are more ceremonious than most, I think."

Still, there were parts that the couple might like. There were a lot of musicians among the group now, they might like some music.

And of course a feast, but that sort of went without saying, he figured.

"You?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:53 pm

"Hmm...." Hikaru had to think about it, "I barely remember what weddings were like among my family. I remember the clothing, but any excuse to dress in lovely clothing for a family that dyed and produced textiles is a large deal."

Holly giggled at this, "Yes, wedding clothes do seem to be a big deal even though they only get to be worn once and often not used again."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:56 pm

"I know Andarien enjoys wearing nice clothes," Shiro commented thoughtfully, "but I don't know about Shoneah. She seems pretty content with the same type of clothes all the time."

They'd only known her for a little over a year now, but even so she had never really expressed any interest in dressing up for anything - not that they'd had much occasion, to be fair. And it wasn't as if he'd really spent much time with her, either.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:22 pm

"Hmm...." Holly looked thoughtful, "I actually don't know what her preference in clothing is now that I think about it."

Holly had joined the group later on after Shoneah and Eron, so she never had the chance to make clothes for them. She just couldn't think of what she would prefer.

"I know Andarien seems to like steampunk, and it would be neat to dress Sliverbirch the same because they both do metal work, but I'm not sure if she would like a dress or pants or even colour," Holly then added to explain to Hikaru since he might be out of the loop, "A few decades ago, white was standard unless you believed it was bad luck to wear, but these days any colour is okay and it's up to the bride."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:28 pm

Shiro leaned back in his chair and leaned one knee against his desk. "I don't know if I can see Shoneah in a dress," he mused, half-grinning. "Even for a wedding, I can see her just wanting something practical. Not that we would know unless we asked her, of course, but even her bathing suit is more practical than anything else."

She hadn't wanted a bikini like Kyrie or Daenis, but that didn't mean it was much more modest. She'd had no interest in the extra fabric that would have, in her own words, just weighed her down.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:40 pm

Holly had to giggle more at that, because it was completely true.

"I know..." Holly agreed, "I should ask them if they're interested in wedding clothes and then see what Sliverbirch would like. She might go for it if she foresees needing to wear formal clothing again in the future, but it would most likely be something she could wear again."

As oppose to one time.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:59 pm

"You could always point out that we're very likely to be heading back to Garnelia as guests of Queen Mari," Shiro suggested. "We're likely to need formal wear there. And we've no idea where else we're going to end up."

She was right, though, Andarien did really like Steampunk styled clothing, and honestly he felt it would suit Shoneah, too.

"I don't know how much you should be thinking about this right now, though," he grinned at Holly, "considering Hikaru has just asked you to do some clothes for him, and the fact that you're still working on winter clothes for everyone. You're going to end up as bad as Miyuki with too many projects to work on at the same time."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:19 pm

"Unlike Miyuki, I know when to delegate and we have more than two people capable of doing clothes," Holly replied with a wink, "Takari and Makeala are more than familiar in making basic clothing, with just some additional instruction in winter appropriate patterns and additions they can easily do any basic winter clothing. Modifying clothing won't take long, and depending on what Sliverbirch would like, it's a good chance to teach Iorlas some new skills."

Holly grinned cattily at that.

"It's really if wedding clothes it'll be all hands on deck to get it done, so I won't do that alone. The decoration alone would take another person to get it done in a timely manner, I did have my own workshop at one point, with apprentices."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:22 pm

"If they want decoration of any kind," Shiro pointed out; though he, too, was grinning cattily. "Of course, if we don't bother asking them about that aspect, they can't protest if we just do it ..."

He could be mischievous, too. Ura was living proof of that. He just had the ability to control himself.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:28 pm

Hikaru chuckled at that suggestion, "One could argue formal wear does require some form of decoration."

Holly waved off the thought, "But there are certain styles you'd only wear formally, though I guess that isn't the case with steampunk now that I think about it. So yes, decorations it is, though I would need their help, metal fastenings and buttons are only things they can make."

And she would like an excuse to some shiny gold buttons, something she didn't normally use. Brass was more practical and more traditional for the style.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:34 pm

Shiro laughed. "It sounds like you're making their decisions for them," he winked at her. "Maybe you should talk to them first."

He understood her enthusiasm - and maybe this would be one of those times where Andarien and Shoneah would need to be encouraged to do more than something simple.

He wondered what he could add to the situation. His specialties were more academic than practical, especially in this world, so he would need to think more about it, in all likelihood.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:36 am

Holly grinned, "Of course I will."

"She says with glee," Hikaru supplied with a chuckle.

"I will admit to already having started sketches to show them," Holly admitted sheepishly.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:41 am

Shiro chuckled again. "This does not surprise me," he grinned.

Still, it was one of the things he liked about Holly: she was always full of ideas and planning things ahead of time.

"Do let me know when you talk to them, though," he added. "I'm curious to know what they've been working on since they got engaged, and what their thoughts are so far."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:09 am

"Of course," Holly agreed, "I'm curious myself, with people from all over there are a lot of different ideas."

So it would be interesting to see what they would pick or adapt.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:25 am

"With a lot of similarities as well, I'm sure," Shiro chuckled. "Though on that note, I'm ready for a break, if you want to go now."

It was just a suggestion; he could take a break other ways. But either way, he had been programming for a few hours now, and his fingers were starting to cramp - not to mention his back, from all that bending forward.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:34 pm

Holly thought about it a bit before nodding, "Sure, why not? In fact, Hikaru, come with us and we can also ask if Xipil would be able to help you as well."

Even though she knew Hikaru could speak the language here, she figured the sooner they did it, the less likely they would forget again.

"Might as well..."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:49 pm

"That sounds good," Shiro grinned. He pushed himself away from his desk and stood up. "They're probably in the forge. They usually are."

Did he want to take his tablet with him? He eyed it, lying on the table, and decided against it. After all, the point of this was to take a break from the all-consuming thing.

He stretched his arms, stretched his back, and stretched his wings, then pushed in his chair and turned back to the others. "All right, I'm set."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 34 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 29 ... 34  Next