The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A - Page 5 Empty Re: Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:04 am

Holly sighed, "The only way Errol is getting married is if the marriage is arranged. He has too much of a reputation..."

While men's reputation didn't generally affect men as much as women, as far as marrying on his own terms it would affect him greatly. His reputation for placing his hands where they should not was too great among women his own age.

However, he was high enough in status that his father could arrange a marriage for business purposes.

"I'm surprised he even wanted my company seeing as I did publicly lecture him once."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A - Page 5 Empty Re: Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:30 am

Celia smiled ruefully. "Well, he is a glutton for punishment," she murmured. "Rolph had to beat him once, too, but he still makes the most inappropriate suggestions to me at times. He's going to end up in serious trouble one of these days."

Then her eyes grew brighter, and she looked at Holly. "On the bright side, you can't ask for a better friend than Rose. She's not afraid to be a bit harsher than most in putting Errol in his place."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:02 am

"No... I can't," Holly agreed.

It did make her wonder what would happen when she finally left. Holly couldn't stay here forever, one day she would have to leave, and with every year that passed that time was coming soon.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:04 am

As quiet and proper as Celia was, she was also quite observant, and in Holly's tone and her expression, she could sense that there was something more Holly was thinking about, beyond the response she had given to her observation.

"Is there something on your mind?" she asked softly, aware that if there was something, and Holly hadn't yet said anything, she probably didn't want it to become widely known.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:13 pm

Holly blinked, as if she forgot she had company. Shaking her head, Holly murmured.

"Just thinking about the future that's all..."

It was a vague comment, but she and Rose were at the age where they would/should begin families so that could mean anything.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:35 pm

Celia smiled pityingly and nodded as if she understood what Holly meant.

"Don't worry," she murmured, obviously trying to be reassuring. "Someday, you'll find someone to spend your life with. I know there doesn't seem to be much choice here, but there are a few gems among the rubble."

She placed one hand lightly on Holly's arm, offering some physical comfort, and removed it after only a few seconds. Sighing as if she had just unloaded a heavy burden, she brightened and changed the subject.

"I know it's not quite proper to talk about business at an affair such as this, but my mother has been asking me to order her another dress," she said as if the previous conversation had never taken place. "She wishes she could come and place the order herself, but since breaking her hip last year she hasn't been able to travel far from the house."

Celia's parents lived in the jungle a few miles from the town, and though they weren't exactly old, a series of accidents the year previous had made things difficult for them. Celia's oldest brother and his family had needed to move in with them to work the plantation and take care of their parents.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:17 pm

Holly's mind change gears to business, it always took her mind off the pending future. She wished she could say she could find someone, but highly unlikely.

"Casual or formal?" Holly asked.

No prints, that was for certain, unless it was formal and then Holly could use dying techniques that were used for Kimonos. While odd to mix to the two styles (some of the time) the themes used for kimonos were far more appropriate for Celia's mother's age.

"I could go to her for measurements, I don't think it's changed that much..." she added.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:24 pm

"Casual, I'm sure," Celia murmured. "She doesn't get out anymore. If you'd like, I can accompany you out to the plantation. Rolph has already planned to leave the carriage for me tomorrow. I hadn't considered needing to re-measure her, but with how stationary she's been for the past year, I suppose she has been gaining a bit of weight."

It was really too bad, considering her mother had always been a very active and hardworking person. Now it pained her just to prepare the meals for the family, and often enough Celia's sister-in-law had to do it for her.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:30 pm

"It would be also good to ask her if she has needed any help getting into her current clothes. Causal is easier to get into, but some styles... just aren't friendly if you have trouble moving," Holly added thoughtfully.

As far as she knew, the woman wasn't arthritic yet (thank goodness).

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Celia smiled. "Well, Harriet is always there to help her, so if she does need help, I'm sure it won't be too big a problem," she assured Holly.

The music stopped, and a moment later Rose rejoined them, wiping her hands on the inside of her cloak. "Hello, Celia. Good to see you again."

"Good evening, Rose," Celia smiled warmly at her. "You look lovely tonight, as always."

"Thank you." Rose grinned at Celia. Despite their polar opposite personalities, they were friends and got along together quite well.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:18 pm

"Did your dance go well?" Holly asked, though it was clear from the glancing she was doing at Rose's cloak that she didn't miss the fact Rose had been wiping her hands on her cloak.

Peter, while more harmless than Errol, could be over the top sometimes. In a good way... if you thought that sort of thing was adorable.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:51 pm

Rose wrinkled her nose and clasped her hands behind her back underneath her cloak, hidden from sight - though if the way the back of her cloak was moving was any indication, she was still wiping them on the back of her dress.

"Peter's a fine dancer, but he needs to do something about his hands," she said dryly. "They're so sweaty."

Celia smiled. "No one else has complained of that problem this evening," she commented.

"Yeah, well, they're probably just too proper to say anything," Rose retorted. She had a point - she was by far the least proper of any of the women there - but on the other hand, it was possible that it was the end of the evening and Peter was just getting warm.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:41 pm

Holly tried not to laugh, she thought that maybe Peter had given a sloppy kiss on the back of the hand, not that he had sweaty hands.

"Well... he has been dancing for a while," Holly murmured, "He's probably getting really warm..."

The clothes he worn, while fine (she should know she made them), weren't good for keeping cool, and Peter had been dancing for most of the evening.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:35 pm

"Oh, probably, but that's no excuse," Rose giggled, clearly joking. "But really, it is getting quite late."

"It is," Celia agreed in a murmur. "I should find Rolph. I know this is his brother's party, but if I'm to be going to Mother's tomorrow with Holly, I'll need to have enough energy."

Rose glanced at Holly and raised one eyebrow. "So it's time you got to bed, too?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:54 pm

Holly nodded at this, "I will be going over to do measurements and bring over catalogs as well."

She might as well since her customer couldn't visit her in her shop, she would bring what she thought would be appropriate to the house.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:57 pm

"Then perhaps it's also time for us to go," Rose nodded. She smiled at Celia. "It was wonderful to see you tonight, and Rolph, too. Do give him our regards, won't you?"

Celia smiled widely. "Of course. Good night."

And with a light touch to each of their shoulders, Celia headed off to find her husband.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:14 pm

Once Celia was out of sight, Holly turned to Rose.

"Shall we?" Holly asked.

She was kind of glad for an excuse to leave a bit earlier than expected. Even if it meant work for her tomorrow.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:36 pm

Rose grinned and held her arm out to Holly for her friend to take, much as a gentleman would do for his lady friend.

"Let's shall," she agreed heartily.

They paid their respects to Peter, sent the butler for the buggy, and headed off into the night. Darkness had long since fallen, and the air was slightly cooler than before. It had also been a while since it had rained, so the air was clear, which was a rare thing in that area. The night was filled with the sounds of the jungle, even in the town.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5