The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A - Page 4 Empty Re: Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Wed May 27, 2015 10:36 pm

There was nothing Rose could say to that.

"True," she admitted with a grin. "Just rue the day when someone else starts to do stuff like this and we get blamed for it."

Across the room, there was another yelp, followed by general laughter.

Rose giggled. "It sounds like they've figured out it was no accident."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A - Page 4 Empty Re: Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Wed May 27, 2015 10:44 pm

"Oh... quite possible..." Holly did agree.

And it would be more likely a boy rather than a girl who would do it too she imagined. For the most part the women here seemed happy with the role their society had for them. With exceptions of course, Holly thought as she looked at Rose.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat May 30, 2015 6:31 pm

Their dance was interrupted when Errol and his friend, Tobias, approached the girls, each of them holding a drink in both hands.

"Evening, girls," Errol grinned at them as Tobias bowed low. "Care for a drink?"

When Tobias straightened up, he had an apologetic look on his face, like he had tried to stop Errol from interrupting the girls' dance but had been unsuccessful. Knowing Tobias, Rose thought, he had probably only come with Errol to stop him from being too much of a nuisance for them.

Rose sighed and glanced at Holly before looking back at the boys. "Well," she murmured, "you are interrupting ..."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat May 30, 2015 6:49 pm

It was a good thing this place had some morals (and Tobias was there), it would be rude to turn down the drinks. Back in Gaia, being handed a drink by a stranger (or someone with Errol's reputation) would be unthinkable.

Holly gave Rose her own apologetic smile back, because she really couldn't turn down the drink.

"Thank you for the offer Errol," Holly made a compromise and took the two drinks from Tobias and gave one to Rose.

She wasn't paranoid, but her Gaia might be showing just a bit.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat May 30, 2015 7:02 pm

"Thank you," Rose echoed as she took the drink from Holly. She didn't miss the look that passed across Errol's face ever so briefly before vanishing as he handed his second glass to Tobias.

The boys raised their glasses slightly to the girls, and all of them drank.

"Could we perhaps interest you girls in a game of four-way chess?" Errol asked them, gesturing towards a small table near the veranda doors where four chairs were placed around a specially designed chess board.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat May 30, 2015 7:40 pm

He was really trying this time. In truth, Holly wasn't much for chess.

Holly tilted her head towards Rose as if to ask if it was alright.

"Just one game?" she inquired softly.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat May 30, 2015 7:49 pm

Rose was distracted suddenly as the music stopped and there was a smattering of applause, but then she turned her attention back to the others and sighed softly, smiling faintly. "I suppose we might as well," she agreed, not even bothering to hide the fact that it wouldn't have been her first choice. "The dance has ended anyways."

She had a suspicion Peter was going to be coming to collect his dance from her soon, and truth be told she would rather have done that than play a game with Errol, but she would never leave Holly alone knowing that Errol was interested in talking to or spending time with her.

"Mixed partners?" Errol suggested with a hopeful smile.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat May 30, 2015 9:02 pm

Holly looked at him and did her best to not give him 'the stare' because he was pushing it and her patience. However, she had already blocked him by getting both drinks from Tobias, she imagined he would make a stink if she denied him this at least.

"Very well..." Holly replied, "Mixed partners it is."

And she reserved the right to slap him again if he got out of line.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat May 30, 2015 9:07 pm

Errol looked like a child waking up to a pile of gifts on his birthday, he was smiling so widely.

"Tobias," he said, turning back to his friend again, "would you be so kind as to get some more drinks for us? Chess tends to be a lengthy game."

"Let's finish these ones first," Tobias replied firmly, though gently. "Come, we can choose our seats and get started."

The boys allowed Rose and Holly to walk beside each other, and one of them stood on either side of them. When they reached the table, they put down their glasses and pulled the chairs out for the girls to sit.

"Thank you," Rose smiled at Tobias, sitting on the chair he was holding for her.

That meant, of course, that Errol was the one holding out a chair for Holly to sit. He smiled warmly at her and gestured towards the chair.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat May 30, 2015 9:45 pm

"Thank you Errol," Holly nodded before taking a seat in the chair.

He seemed so happy, that she couldn't really fault him for wanting to try and spend time with them. It was just he had issues remembering his manners it seemed.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat May 30, 2015 9:50 pm

Errol grinned at Holly, and then, before Tobias could pick up his glass again, he skirted around the table and sat across from Holly, wordlessly choosing her as his partner for the game.

Tobias didn't seem to mind. He smiled at Rose as he went around Errol to the far side of the table and sat down.

"No talking across the table, using hand gestures, kicking your partners feet - in short, no communicating moves or instructions," Tobias said dryly, looking directly at Errol. He knew the girls didn't need to hear this. "Un-timed game. Anyone care to lay a wager?"

He looked around at the others.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat May 30, 2015 10:24 pm

Holly shook her head, "I don't think that's wise."

At least for her, she wasn't good at this game, much less playing it four way. She didn't want to be talked into something she didn't' want.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat May 30, 2015 10:35 pm

Errol sighed in disappointment. "Pity, Holly. I was going to suggest that if we win, I get a dance with you."

"And if Rose and I win, I get to dance with her?" Tobias asked, arching one eyebrow at his friend. He looked at Rose. "What do you think?"

Rose returned his gaze, then turned to Holly. She was tempted to accept, if only because she knew Tobias was an excellent chess player and if he and Rose won, Holly wouldn't have to worry about Errol for the rest of the night. But if they somehow lost ... Holly would be the real loser of the night.

She decided to wait and see what Holly would say. She had already expressed her disinterest in a wager, and Rose would never force her into a decision she didn't want to make. But Rose didn't want to chose for her either. If Holly wanted the chance to legitimately be able to refuse Errol's attentions for the remainder of the evening, Rose wouldn't take that option away from her either.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat May 30, 2015 10:55 pm

Holly didn't mention that doing a wager would be highly unwise for her, and she didn't think dancing with Errol was that much of a prize. Tobias on the other hand, was a much better choice, but the fact both boys were betting on a dance with her made her feel like neither was really good.

On the other hand Tobias was most likely offering that choice as a way to get her out of running into Errol again.

And here she thought her day was going to be boring....

Somehow she would prefer the boredom.

She gazed back at Rose and then mentally sighed, if Errol won and he got grabby she still reserved the right to slap him.

"Very well, if that is what entertains you," Holly told Errol.

She left Tobias out of it, because she did strongly suspect he did it to save her from future hassle.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat May 30, 2015 11:03 pm

A glint appeared in Errol's eyes, and the corner of his mouth turned up slightly. Under the table, Rose reached for Holly's hand and gave it a light squeeze, hoping that it would reassure her friend that she would do all that she could to prevent Errol from winning.

"And to show you what a good sport I am, I'll even let you begin," Errol grinned at Tobias. Of course, with him, there was no thought of one of the girls starting. He had quite the ego.

Tobias pretended he hadn't heard the implied insult, and simply moved one of his pieces forward. Errol did the same, and then Rose. Tobias had begun aggressively, and Rose recognized it. Errol might think she couldn't play well, but she had learned from her father, and she was quite skilled, too.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat May 30, 2015 11:36 pm

It has occurred to Holly that Errol must be very sure of himself because she was not a strong chess player. It wasn't something she was interested in back in Gaia. She was actually better at Go, which was funny because chess was a common theme in lolita clothing thanks to Alice in Wonderland.

At least it was no secret that Holly wasn't the best at chess.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun May 31, 2015 12:04 am

The game progressed with light conversation, and eventually it became apparent that even with Holly as a handicap, Errol was likely to win the game. Rose tried her best - truly she did - and she knew that Tobias was trying his best, too; but nevertheless, their pieces were steadily removed from the board, while they were able to capture only some of Errol and Holly's pieces.

While they played, servants brought by platters of desserts and drinks, and they helped themselves as they felt the desire: and finally Rose saw a way for Holly to get out of dancing with Errol. He was so intent on the game that he wasn't paying attention to where he was placing his drink and dessert, and his drink was on the table between himself and Rose.

"Tobias," she said as Errol thought of his next move, "do you have something on your shirt?"

Tobias blinked at her, then looked down at his shirt. "Where?" he asked, using his fingers to flatten out the wrinkles in his shirt, looking for whatever it was Rose had seen.

"There," Rose pointed. "Just - no, a bit -- no, not there ..." She let out a sigh as if frustrated that he couldn't see what she had (though of course there was nothing there in reality). "Here, let me show you."

She reached across the table as if to point at a spot on his shirt, and her arm brushed against Errol's drink, sending it spilling on his shirt and pants.

Errol jumped up, knocking his chair backwards and the chess pieces to the floor. "Rose!" he exclaimed. "Look what you've done!"

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" Rose gasped, reaching for a napkin. "How clumsy of me!"

She stood next to him and began to dab at his clothes, glancing sidewise at Holly and winking at her slyly.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun May 31, 2015 1:00 am

Holly quickly summoned some servants over and asked them to help Errol otherwise the clothes would stain badly. People trusted her judgement as cloth was her trade, but it gave Holly a good excuse for Errol to be attended to (and hopefully ushered away) without much fuss.

"I'm sure Peter has extra clothing," Holly assured Errol, "They should be soaked soon."

And Peter would understand, Peter was a bit of a nob, but he would understand what had happened and why.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun May 31, 2015 11:50 am

Errol was furious, but with the crowd that had gathered around to rubberneck, he had no choice but to keep his voice down and his actions in check.

"I'll be fine," he said darkly, glaring at Rose, though his words were directed to the others who were around him.

Rose had the sense to look properly mortified and anxious, wringing her hands together as the servants cleaned up the spill.

"Come, Master Errol," said Peter's valet, whose name was Luther. "Let us take care of this."

Errol scowled at Rose as he followed Luther from the room. The moment he was gone, the crowd around those who were left dissipated, and once they were alone again, Tobias turned back to Rose.

"You did that on purpose, didn't you?" he asked her quietly, the corner of his mouth twitching as though he were trying not to smile.

Rose feigned innocence. "Me? How could you even think such a thing?"

Tobias chuckled. "Because I was hoping you would. I saw the drink but I knew I'd never be able to pull it off, I was on the wrong side." He turned to Holly and smiled at her. "Unfortunately, it seems that there is no winner for this game. I'm afraid, Holly, that you may well be left to yourself for the evening."

Despite his words, his expression showed that he was glad of it.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun May 31, 2015 6:20 pm

Holly nodded and slightly curtsied at Tobias, "Ah well, thank you though. Both of you for helping me."

She was honestly surprised Errol was so good at the game even with a handicap. The neko wondered how much of that was planned.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun May 31, 2015 6:52 pm

Tobias bowed at Holly in return and smiled at her. "Enjoy the rest of your evening. And should Errol return ... feel free to find me."

With a slight bow to Rose, Tobias turned and headed back into the crowd.

Rose smiled and took Holly's arm. "That was a narrow escape," she murmured. "Though I must admit, I had no idea Tobias was like that. Do you think maybe he's sweet on you?"

She giggled at her friend. She was teasing, of course: she knew Holly wasn't interested in being courted. But still, she couldn't help but wonder if Tobias maybe did like Holly. He had come to their rescue not once but twice this evening.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun May 31, 2015 9:45 pm

"I hope not," Holly admitted.

In which she didn't mind the teasing, but she also noticed that Tobias did went out of his way for them. Tobias was nice, and it would be a pity if he was sweet on her when there were other more appropriate girls to be sweet on.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun May 31, 2015 9:59 pm

"Still, you have to admit, it was really nice of him to help us out with Errol," Rose pointed out, still grinning. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Peter heading back towards them, and she stifled a groan. "My turn."

Sure enough, when Peter arrived, he smiled at both of the girls but bowed and held his hand out to Rose. "May I have the pleasure?" he asked her.

Rose smiled politely and placed her hand in his. "Thank you," she said formally. Turning to Holly, she smiled ruefully and mouthed Be right back.

She followed Peter to the dance floor, leaving Holly on her own - though that didn't last long. Very quickly, Celia, Rolph's wife, appeared at her side. She smiled warmly at her.

"Enjoying your evening?" she asked Holly calmly but cheerfully. Celia was the image of propriety, modestly dressed, her hands clasped demurely in front of herself. She had a smile on her face, as she always did, and her blue eyes were amiable as always.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun May 31, 2015 11:21 pm

Holly glanced over at Celia and smiled as she nodded at the older woman. Celia was a fan of Holly's more classic styles, that meant no patterns, high necklines, but a lot of pleating skirts and well placed lace.

"Very much, thank you," Holly replied, "And how has your evening been?"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun May 31, 2015 11:34 pm

"Very pleasant," Celia replied, her eyes sparkling brightly. "Rolph was kind enough to choose my desserts for me, and for those brought by you and Rose he was even kind enough to test them for me first."

She was proper enough not to laugh, but it was clear that she wanted to. She was only about a year older than Holly, still young enough to be considered a young woman (at least young enough to attend such parties as this, though she was readily accepted at other parties like where Peter and Rolph's father was that evening). She also had quite a sense of humour, and she found Holly's and Rose's antics both amusing and endearing.

"And I saw you were able to avoid an evening with Errol," she added, her tone sympathetic. "Someday, he will do something that will stop him doing the things he does. Even if it's simply getting married."

Not that being married would be likely to make him keep his hands to himself. As much as she hated to think about it, Errol was likely one of those men who would mess around until he was caught.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next