The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A - Page 2 Empty Re: Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Thu May 21, 2015 10:15 pm

Rose chuckled softly. "How well you know me. Though if you do have an idea for something more interesting to wear, you know I'll listen. But no, I was thinking more along the lines of taking that rat I was going to show Florence tonight to the party. Might make things a little too interesting, though, don't you think?"

She winked at Holly, grinning; and then she sighed and tried to think of something else that might make the party more fun.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A - Page 2 Empty Re: Not-So-Home Away From Home - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Thu May 21, 2015 10:29 pm

Holly gave Rose a look that asked if she was kidding, even though they both knew she wasn't. She would have said Peter would never invite them again, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing, honestly why did Peter think this was a good idea was beyond her.

"If we weren't pressed for time we could ask the sweet maker to make chocolates and put chili in one of them for a game of Russian Roulette, the boys would go for that just to see who's the bravest and we would just have to watch."

Actually, Holly didn't mind, she noticed while they had chilies nothing crazy like ghost peppers or the like. She liked spicy food. Normally making something that wouldn't take that long back in Gaia, but here everything took longer.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu May 21, 2015 10:37 pm

"We could do that with pastries," Rose mused, her grin turning sly. "I think Mother's got some chili peppers in a jar in the cellar."

Though she still didn't understand the origin of the term, Holly had explained to her several years earlier just what Russian Roulette meant. Rose rather liked the idea, and had even tried it herself a few times - never with anything deadly, though she'd ended up with a mouthful of spices more than once because of it.

"Maybe we could spike the punch," she laughed.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu May 21, 2015 11:00 pm

"I don't think drunk boys.... or girls... is a particularly good idea," Holly replied.

Especially if Peter invited boys that were not particular bright in the ways of women. Though since people here tended to drink alcohol with a lot of things, the tolerance was higher than a lot of humans back home.

"But I will go along with putting chilies into pastries," she added, "As long as you let me pick out the ones I like first..."

No sense in getting into that contest herself.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu May 21, 2015 11:06 pm

Rose laughed heartily. "Agreed. You tell me what you like, and I'll make sure it doesn't go into there."

Her eyes glinted. "Maybe I'll just put them in half the pastries and not tell anyone. Russian Roulette without warning."

The idea pleased her. These parties were always the same, and she always looked for every way to make them more interesting. She wondered what else she could do.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri May 22, 2015 9:13 pm

"It'll upset Peter," Holly pointed out, "Granted it's his fault for inviting us."

Despite the fact Holly did prevent a rat from being introduced to everyone, it would be her fault for introducing the concept of Russian Roulette to Rose.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri May 22, 2015 9:25 pm

"His fault for trying to impress everyone," Rose countered. She sighed. "Fine. Only for an announced challenge. Then shall I meet you there or shall I come by and pick you up on the way? I'm sure Father would let me have the buggy tonight."

While her family was not rich by any stretch of the imagination, they were well enough off that they could keep a single servant and had one buggy of their own. It was rarely used, but often Rose's father would allow his daughters to take it out for social situations.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri May 22, 2015 9:29 pm

"It would be nice to be picked up, if I come with you I'm less likely to be laywayed by anyone else," Holly replied.

When she meant anyone else, she meant men. It was one of the few downfalls of being accepted into this society, people though she was marry-able. Holly would think not, unless her future husband had a thing for inter-species relations which she doubted.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri May 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Rose laughed. "I hear you. I'll come by about twenty-two hours. See you then."

She waved a cheerful goodbye to her friend and left the shop, her mind on many different things now: what to wear, how many pastries to buy, how many to fill with chili peppers, and how she might still tease Florence a bit before it was time to go.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri May 22, 2015 9:58 pm

When Rose left, Holly sighed and closed the shop for the day. She would have to go and check on the girls and tell them that their lessons would be delayed for the day, before going to get something to wear that would be... at least dress wise proper. It wasn't really proper to wear a bonnet to a party but appearances had to be kept.

"I know I have a dress I was saving for such an occasion..." she murmured.

Since she tended to experiment styles on herself first before anyone else (except men's clothing).

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri May 22, 2015 10:48 pm

When evening came, Rose came with the buggy to pick up Holly as she had promised. She drove it herself, as the family servant had to stay at the house. The buggy was a simple black-lacquered two-wheeler, and Rose drove it up to just in front of Holly's door before pulling the horse to a stop.

"Holly!" she called brightly. "Ready to go?"

If she would take the effort to behave properly, she would dismount the buggy and ring the bell, but no one would ever expect that of her.

On the seat next to her, there was a large basket filled with pastries. As promised, those that were her or Holly's favourites had no chili peppers in them, but about a quarter of the rest did. She also didn't bring a rat or anything else that would bother the others, as tempting as that would be. She had however dressed up: a deep wine red dress of heavy cloth, crinkled together in a way that created a pleasing pattern without being over elaborate: in fact simply decorated with off-white lace only at the hem and neckline of the dress. I suited her and went well with her cloak, which she was wearing, as usual.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri May 22, 2015 11:03 pm

Unlike Rose, Holly had bonnets for every occasion, so could always dress up without having to worry about her head wear. For this occasion, Holly wore a cream white, puff sleeve dress, with a floor length skirt of transparent cloth that was heavily embroidered, and layered liked petals of a flower. This prevented from anyone seeing her bloomers (or her tail). The only embellishments (besides the large amounts of embroidery) was a rose red ribbon tied around her waist, just under her chest, and several cloth roses decorated her neckline. Naturally she was wearing a bonnet, of cream white and roses to match the outfit.

It was a dress that spoke (or advertised) Holly's skills as a seamstress. The dress wasn't expensive because of gems, fine silks or expensive lace, but rather the amount of time it must have taken to embroider it. Then again, Holly's apprentices did give her time to work on her own projects. Also, it never hurt to advertise (subtly) to future clients that she was capable of things other than the outlandish.

Besides, it was still technically lolita.

"Ready!" Holly called out as she carried with her a simple drawn string purse, the same colour as her dress, "And you look like you raided the bakery..."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri May 22, 2015 11:12 pm

"Well, it's no fun if it's over too quickly," Rose grinned at Holly, shuffling over a bit to make room for her friend on the buggy's seat. "Besides, we have no idea how many people Peter invited. We want to give everyone a chance to take part in the game, right?"

Once Holly was sitting, she clucked her tongue and flicked the reins lightly to start the horse going again. It would be about a quarter hour's drive to Peter's house, but she was in no rush. Even if they took their time, they would probably be a few minutes early.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri May 22, 2015 11:21 pm

"He probably invited nearly everyone in our age group that is single," Holly replied softly.

While still somehow managing to have more women than boys, which was a feat, or maybe said something to what he spent most of his time doing.

"Are you going to tell them about the sweets?" Holly inquired.

It wasn't like everyone knew of the concept, Rose did because she spent a lot of time with Holly.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri May 22, 2015 11:37 pm

Rose sighed and shifted to make herself more comfortable on the hard wooden seat. "I don't know," she murmured. "I know I ought to, but ..."

She shrugged one shoulder. "Maybe I'll just wait until after dinner and see how annoyed I am. If things are going well maybe I'll tell them, and if not then maybe I won't. That's about all I can promise at the moment. It would serve Peter right for pulling this on us last minute."

Or maybe she would tell the girls and not the boys. That would be a nice compromise.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat May 23, 2015 12:56 am

Holly laughed, "Then why did you agree to come? Or let me decide?"

Rose had to know Holly wouldn't turn it down when someone begged her to come, especially since it would be kind of rude to do so.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat May 23, 2015 12:29 pm

Rose smiled mischievously, glancing sidewise at Holly before turning her attention back to the road.

"For the food, of course," she said lightly.

She did enjoy food. Not nearly as much as her sister, but she did enjoy food - especially quality food, which they were certain to have tonight. The real difference between herself and her sister, however, was that Rose refused to overindulge, knowing that she would rather eat less and enjoy it than eat more and feel sick afterwards, and that Rose was a very active person. She never balked at the idea of work, and she was often found outside the town going for walks or hikes, or even - which horrified the sensible people of the town - climbing trees.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun May 24, 2015 12:16 am

Holly rolled her eyes, "Of course... at least you're active. Pity giving you pants and a vest is outside of acceptable clothing for a young woman. It would make it easier for you."

At least Rose didn't wear hoop skirts, just petite coats when she wore one of Holly's clothing. Though the dresses could easily be worn without fluffs or hoops, but that wasn't how it was normally worn. Unlike the rest of the townspeople, Holly wasn't horrified that Rose climbed trees and often wished she could join.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun May 24, 2015 12:31 am

"Oohhh, sacrilege!" Rose laughed. "Don't let my father hear you talking like that, he'll accuse you of filling my head with nonsense and try to get you thrown out of town. You know how he is. Tradition above all."

She pushed the limits where she could, but there were limits, even for her.

As she spoke, they arrived at Peter's family property. It was enormous, surrounded by a tall stone wall, and as they drove up two servants pulled the gates open for them, bowed low as they passed by them into the lane, and then closed the gates again behind them.

"Looks like we're not the first to arrive," Rose commented, nodding towards the house where there was a row of buggies and horses.

The house itself was a large two-storey building, plantation-style, painted white, a veranda going all the way around the house. It was surrounded with tropical plants - palm trees, ferns and more. Everything was well-kept, and even at this hour there were workmen on the grounds, caring for the plants.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun May 24, 2015 12:49 am

"Probably just as well," Holly replied.

Once the buggy stopped, she carefully hopped off.

"Do you need any help with the pastries?" she asked.

Also, it would be less suspicious if she brought them in, Rose was sometimes a bit too predictable with her need for interesting things.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun May 24, 2015 12:55 am

Rose considered the offer briefly before smiling. "Yes," she agreed, "I think it would be for the best. Thanks."

She passed down the basket of pastries, and once Holly had it, she also climbed carefully down from the buggy, then moved to tie the horses up to the hitching post. "There," she murmured. "And in we go."

She held her dress and cloak up off the ground so that they wouldn't get dirty and started towards the house.

"What say we turn a few more heads tonight?" she murmured thoughtfully to Holly as they walked. "After my dance with Peter, we should dance together."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun May 24, 2015 1:24 am

"I don't have a problem with that, that sounds fun," Holly admitted.

Granted, she didn't see anything scandalous about dancing with another girl, especially since she didn't swing that way.

"Should you lead, or shall I when we have a turn?" Holly asked.

She knew how to do both, but that was because she learned how to dance from Rose. Holly didn't know how to dance, at least how these people danced when she first got here.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun May 24, 2015 1:30 am

"Oh, let's take turns," Rose grinned. "Just for the fun of it. See what people do or say."

Girls dancing with girls was not the worst thing - boys dancing with boys was as scandalous as girls wearing pants - but it was still enough to get people talking: just enough for Rose to be amused, but not so bad that either she or Holly would be ostracized for it.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun May 24, 2015 2:01 am

"Sure, better than the idea of bringing the rat," Holly replied.

Holly felt it was much better than bringing the rat, it was the least destructive thing to do.

"Besides, it's a good excuse not to dance with the other boys."

Or hold conversations with them.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun May 24, 2015 2:08 am

"Well, that is part of the reason I suggested it," Rose admitted. "Some of them are all right, I guess, but some of them just try to get a little too close. I'm sure I don't have to remind you about Errol's wandering hands."

She wrinkled her nose as they went up the steps to the front door. "If you see him come talk to me, come rescue me, will you?"

She reached forward and knocked on the door.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next