The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Easing Through Eaulir - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 11 of 32 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21 ... 32  Next

Go down

Easing Through Eaulir - 119 4A - Page 11 Empty Re: Easing Through Eaulir - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:50 pm

Atl nodded again and rose to his feet. "It was a pleasure meeting you," he said, bowing his head to them briefly. "I look forward to returning tomorrow."

He didn't give a time, and didn't give them time to respond, but simply turned on his heel and turned back in the opposite direction.

A few of the group called out farewells anyways, and then a dull silence fell over the group. Finally, Kaito spoke up.

"Bit odd, if you ask me," he shrugged.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Easing Through Eaulir - 119 4A - Page 11 Empty Re: Easing Through Eaulir - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:09 pm

Lin gave Kaito a look, though she wouldn't deny it was an odd encounter.

"I think he was trying to be diplomatic and reserve," Lin replied, "Enough trust to not put off anyone who is just actually passing through, but not enough to really trust the person until they know what is going on."

At least that's what it felt like, after all what race sends one person to just say hi and a ask a few question, but had enough cynicism to send the father of the eldest child in the settlement. There was that tug and pull it seemed.

"And he's practical, and direct..." Miyuki added.

"And maybe he might be a good poker player," Holly added to that wryly, "He really didn't show much of his feelings on anything he said, or our responses."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:57 pm

"Poker?" Andarien asked blankly.

"A game of cards where people try to bluff their opponents into thinking they have the better hand," Shiro explained simply. "It's a gambling game, so the stakes can be pretty high."

"But he is quite skilled in keeping his thoughts hidden," Kyrie murmured, tapping her chin thoughtfully. "I don't know that I could have done better myself."

Khetal blinked at his sister. He didn't know her mysterious side at all, and it constantly surprised him whenever someone referred to it.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:03 pm

"So... the question is," Holly murmured, "Was the fact he had the eldest child in the settlement the only reason why he was sent or are all of them like that?"

She had to admit, it was a bit unnerving. As odd as it sounded, she would like people to be a bit more open about how they felt. Better to be able to read a person who was hostile to you, than to not be able to read a person who might be hostile to you.

Though that might be long buried paranoia talking.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:12 pm

"I'm afraid I can't answer that question," Kyrie admitted reluctantly. "Obviously I've never been to Kilemtor, and the land settlements ... well, they're always different. I've never seen the same people twice - though I must also admit that I don't come to these countries often. There are even times when there's no one at all living on land."

Wren blinked at Kyrie. "And that's the first time I've ever heard you admit that you don't know much about a country or people ..."

Kyrie laughed. "Oh, come on. I don't know everything, after all!"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:19 pm

"And it makes sense," Eron pointed out, "They live normally in a place that no other race could survive in for long periods of time, much less long enough to get to where they live. If they only stay when there are children who had not yet gained the ability to breath water, then there are going to be times where there won't be anyone here. It's hard to know a race who... from the sounds of it, have no interest on land."

Miyuki nodded at this, "He said they have huts, and only go deeper inland for things to maintain their settlement. It is probably very temporary and doesn't last long after they're gone. The problem is... he's so good at keeping his emotions in check, it's hard to tell if they have any interest beyond their water city.... I wish Auntie Feng, Uncle Ryu and Nadia were here. They could go visit... but without waterways or large bodies of water they couldn't..."

She looked thoughtful, she was sure Auntie Feng and Naida especially would have loved this trip.

"Next time we get back to Gaia and travel I'll make rooms with pools and ask if they want to come along. It sucks they can't travel because they need water," she murmured more to herself.

Hell, she could probably make a garden with a large pond and a waterfall. Now there's a thought, maybe she could make another garden by herself just to try. She never made a garden before, but learned a lot watching her teacher.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:59 pm

Shiro looked at Kaito thoughtfully. "And didn't Storm or Starr end up with a vial of mermaids' tears?" he murmured thoughtfully. "My understanding is that they can somehow allow their wearer or user to breathe underwater ... I don't know if there's a time limit on that or if it's infinite, but it might be a means for others also to visit their main city."

"I think they each have some," Kaito replied, serious for once, "but one of the vials is tears from a dark mermaid or something. It's been a while, and I wasn't paying attention when they showed them to Mom."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:03 pm

"Cousins?" Miyuki asked.

She really didn't know most of her relatives that well. Only ones she spent a good portion of time with. Which was why she thought of the mers first.

Lin nodded, "Your cousins, Shiro and Kaito's siblings. They have a gift for elemental magic, but they see the... I guess energy you could call it as threads that can be manipulated by them. It's a skill they don't get to practice often because there isn't a safe place to use it."

Lin did wonder if this meant maybe someday they would be taking another trip here with people who could go to the underwater city.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:12 pm

"Then perhaps when we return we should suggest Obaa-san make a room for them to experiment in, like Miyuki has in the tent," Shiro suggested. "I don't know what they've been up to since we came here, but they were always so frustrated not to be allowed to use their natural talents."

"They're not allowed to use their gifts?" Mirania exclaimed in surprise. "Whyever not?"

Kaito shrugged. "Too dangerous. They've caused a few accidents - fires, unending rain. They need a place where if they make something explode, it won't matter."

"Explode?"

Shiro smacked Kaito upside the head. "That's something they haven't even done yet," he scolded him. "You're giving them a bad impression." He turned to the others. "Yes, they have difficulty controlling their magic, but unless there are explosives around and they're playing with fire - something I'm sure they would never do, they're not nearly as stupid as that - they are a danger to no one."

He would admit that he didn't know the half of what the twins had gotten into, but he was quite certain that they were safety-conscious, especially when others were around. Besides, Storm might be a bit impulsive, but Starr always reined him in.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:18 pm

Miyuki thought about it, she was sure that Shiro was correct about them, he was always a good judge of people. Besides they were his siblings, and they were her cousins.

"Also suggest to Obaa-san to add runes to strengthen the space, she's been doing it longer than anyone, I'm sure she knows some really good ones," Miyuki added, "It's good to be able to experiment and know your limits."

Actually now that she thought about it, the whole clan ground was a testament to the protective runes that had become her grandmother's specialty. Though they were a distance memory now so Miyuki couldn't remember what they looked like or what they did exactly. Suddenly, she was curious.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:59 pm

Thinking about Gaia got some of the Gaians reminiscent of home, and brought an abrupt end to the discussion. Once lunch was over, Shoneah, Andarien and a few others went back to where they had found the Littinum to dig up some of the smaller deposits while others did their own thing.

The rest of the day passed uneventfully. Shortly before dinner, Andarien and Shoneah returned with a large sack of raw ore and both of them headed immediately to the forge to attempt to smelt it down into ingots for use. Dinner was a light affair, and the evening passed peacefully, though many of those who gathered in groups for socializing made their various predictions on who would be returning the following day with Atl, and when.

Though she felt there was no real threat, Kyrie thought it prudent that someone keep watch through the night - just in case, since, as the others had commented, there had been no way to tell the Water Elf's true thoughts about the group - but rather than asking any of the travelers to do the job, she asked Uruloki to remain outside so that they could all still get a proper night's rest.

It was only about an hour before lunch the following morning when Atl returned, and as promised, this time he was not alone. With him were three others: a woman, only slightly taller than Rose, whose skin and eyes matched Atl's but whose hair was a shimmering sapphire and who had a thinner yet softer-looking face; a young boy whose features matched some of Atl's and some of the woman's; and another man, taller than Atl, with paler hair and eyes and more sharply developed muscles.

Rather than coming up the beach, they approached from the ocean, and the first sign of them was the boy running through knee-deep water, splashing up a commotion while the other three waded ashore behind him. They looked as though they were talking amongst themselves, and the woman kept looking anxiously at the boy. Like Atl, the boy and the second male had only a strip of cloth around their waists, but the woman was wearing what could most simply be described as a skirted tankini, with some of her midriff showing.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:15 am

Miyuki was outside with her Pokemon, giving them some much needed fresh air. Suki's ears perked up at the sound of people and she rushed to the water's edge, bouncing around like a bunny on sugar. She wanted to see these people, and talk with them!

Yashu was more happy to stay near the fire pit even though there was no fire. He had no intention getting near the water (not surprisingly). Ryo, being the youngest joined his sister to see what all the commotion was about. While Ai was the only one to stay near Miyuki because she wasn't sure who these strangers were.

Miyuki on her part waved to the group that was coming towards them.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:36 am

The woman waved to Miyuki and leaned close to Atl, who said something to her, and then also raised a hand to return the greeting. The second man did not wave, but stayed close to the other two.

The child waved eagerly, and when he spotted the Pokemon on the beach, he paused and tilted his head curiously at them.

Daeron, Iorlas and Amir were also out on the beach - Daeron and Iorlas were just relaxing on a blanket on the sand, while Amir and Kaede played in the sand - and when the Water Elves waved back to Miyuki, Daeron and Iorlas also waved a greeting, and Daeron helped Iorlas to her feet so that they could greet them properly.

Kaede danced from side to side. She was obviously eager to go join the newcomers as well, but she knew her place was next to her young master, and as long as Amir's parents didn't tell her explicitly that these people were all right, she would stay by Amir's side.

When the group came closer, Daeron called out amiably, "Welcome back!" and motioned for the four of them to come closer.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:43 am

"Suki! Ryo! Come here," Miyuki commanded, "You both should know better."

Though Ryo was probably just picking up Suki's bad habits. Suki was like a puppy, she wanted to get to know everyone. Fortunately, Suki did listen, and picked Ryo up by the scruff of his neck and trotted back over. Ryo seemed to pout at this act. Once the little eevee was set at their mistress' feet Suki resumed her bouncing at Miyuki's side.

Miyuki had to admit, Suki was bouncing pretty high.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:35 am

The boy was the first to make it to shore, and at a sharp word from his father, he stayed just beyond the reach of the waves to wait for the others.

"Come on, Papa, hurry!" he urged him eagerly. "Mama! Make Papa come faster!"

Atl's face was as inscrutable as the day before, and he didn't bother answering his son, simply continued forward at the same pace. When he, his wife, and the other man finally reached the shore, Daeron and Iorlas had already joined Miyuki by the fire pit. Amir was still where he had been sitting in the sand, with Kaede next to him, but as that was further from the shore than the fire pit, his parents found no reason to collect him.

"Good morrow," Atl said to the travelers at last, emerging fully from the water with the others and putting one hand on his son's shoulder. He introduced the travelers present to the others, and then reversed the process. "My wife, Nix; my son, Teslin; and my brother, Chelan. He still lives in Kilemtor."

"Greetings," Chelan met the others with a stiff nod.

Nix, on the other hand, seemed both delighted and anxious. "Hello," she said, her voice soft but shaking slightly. "it is lovely to meet you."

Teslin tried to dart away from his father, but Atl's grip on his shoulder was firm, and he pouted up at him.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:49 am

"And it is wonderful to meet you," Miyuki smiled, "Please, come join us."

To the three newcomers she introduced herself, Dareon, Iorlas and Amir, and the Pokemon. She know they hadn't introduced the Pokemon previously, but they weren't outside yesterday. Once those introductions were out of the way she told Suki to go inside and tell the others they had visitors.

The pink creature raced off to find the rest of the travelers so she could come back and spend time with these new people.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:18 am

Chelan hung back a bit while Atl and Nix did as they were invited. Teslin took the opportunity to wriggle out of his father's grip and dart forward to join Amir in the sand. Kaede jumped between her master and the newcomer, growling a warning to the boy; but a word from Iorlas calmed her, though she still kept an eye on Teslin as he greeted Amir and started to play with him.

"I hope we're not interrupting anything," Nix said, her voice still shaking slightly.

"Not at all," Iorlas assured her with a warm smile. "We were just relaxing. Please, sit." She motioned to the sand around them and led by example, tucking her skirt carefully beneath her legs as she sat down.

Atl helped his wife to sit before sitting next to her.

"I have brought my wife and brother to help me in coming to a conclusion," he told the travelers. His brother still hadn't joined them, but at an insistent gesture from Atl, he approached slowly. Turning back to Miyuki, Atl went on. "As I said last night, I do not feel comfortable drawing my own conclusions."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:33 am

"That's understandable, and you have only met us last night," Miyuki agreed.

She didn't mention that Atl also didn't really ask them a lot of questions to know them. Sure, he asked the two questions most people would ask, like how is it that so many different people were traveling and where were they all sleeping. However, her mother had to tell Atl that they were just spending the winter here, and he didn't really ask about them.

Miyuki couldn't tell if he was being diplomatic, or not, but there seemed to be a lack of curiousity.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:42 am

"And it was a rather short visit at that," Chelan said flatly, eying his brother expressionlessly.

Atl returned the look and simply said nothing at all.

Daeron smiled diplomatically. "In all fairness, we do tend to overwhelm most people we meet for the first time. We're well aware that we're an odd lot."

Chelan's eyes flickered ever so briefly to Miyuki, but he looked back at Daeron so quickly that it was quite possible to miss the glance. "Indeed," he agreed. "How many of you are there?"

Daeron and Iorlas exchanged a bemused look and took a moment to count on their fingers before replying, "Oh, at least twenty of us by now."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:54 pm

It was fascinating watching the two brothers, though Miyuki felt that Atl was better at maintaining a neutral stance than his brother. Despite the fact that Chelan kept his own emotions reigned in, Miyuki couldn't help but get a sense of slight disapproval. At them or at Atl she couldn't tell which at this point.

"That sounds about right,"
Miyuki agreed.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:11 pm

Chelan looked at the tent. "And somehow you all fit into there, Atl says," he said, still in a flat tone.

Iorlas' green eyes sparkled with amusement. "Perhaps you would all like to join us for lunch," she suggested. "There is plenty of food and plenty of room, and then you can also see how we fit in the tent. We tried to explain it to Atl yesterday but it's so dreadfully difficult to understand without actually seeing it for oneself."

Nix reached silently for her husband's hand, and Atl gave it a light squeeze, though he didn't look at her. He kept his gaze on Iorlas and answered for the group, "That is very kind of you."

There was a brief silence until Daeron realized that the simple statement was about as close to an acceptance as the Water Elf was going to get. He smiled at them.

"Come inside and we can let the others know that we have company for lunch," he offered, rising to his feet once more. "We can also show you around a bit."

"Perhaps we can give Miyuki the chance to show off a bit," Iorlas added, grinning at her niece.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Miyuki blushed a bit, scratching her cheek as a nervous tick whenever someone complimented her the tent. It distracted her from how odd Alt's statement was. Most people would just give thanks to be polite and remain netural. Alt's statement was almost... remaining neutral but at a distance.

Getting up from her spot, Miyuki brushed the sand from her skirt and motioned for the others to follow.

"This way then," she waved them over, "Amir! Lunch!"

She figured Amir would bring his new friend over regardless.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:07 pm

Amir pushed himself to his feet immediately and brushed his sandy hands off on his shorts. His green eyes shone brightly and his copper hair bounced around his shoulders, the sun reflecting off the white highlights, as he ran towards the tent. His new friend of only a few brief minutes followed after him at a jog, his much longer legs taking him further with each pace than Amir's short strides. They were both pursued by Kaede, who, though she showed no ill intent to the young Water Elf, was not as carefree as she usually was.

"Teslin!" Atl said sharply as the boy hurried to enter the tent; and the child stopped in his tracks and looked over his shoulder at his father. Atl looked at him seriously. "Wait for us."

Obediently, the child waited until his parents were ready to go into the tent before he reached for his father's free hand and stepped inside just ahead of them.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:52 pm

Miyuki could smell lunch the moment she ducked into the kitchen. Seeing the people gathered around though reminded her she really needed to get onto making this area just the dining room and then make a separate kitchen. It was just moving all the ovens and everything was just so daunting. Making the room wasn't an issue, making all the things for the new kitchen and then moving them into said kitchen was.

Lin looked up from where she was setting the table and blinked twice before smiling. It was a good thing they decided to make extra food just in case. Calling lightly over her shoulder she asked.

"Could someone please bring more plates? Thanks!"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:15 pm

Daenis had helped to prepare lunch that day, and she smiled when she saw that Atl had returned with others. She moved immediately to fetch more plates for them. Lancaeriel made more room at the table while Cael and a few others came to meet and greet Atl's friends.

While Atl introduced his brother, wife and son, Chelan looked around the kitchen and dining room. There was no expression on his face, though his eyes did not cease to move, and it was impossible to know what he was thinking.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 32 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21 ... 32  Next