The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Easing Through Eaulir - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 10 of 32 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21 ... 32  Next

Go down

Easing Through Eaulir - 119 4A - Page 10 Empty Re: Easing Through Eaulir - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

The others greeted Atl, they were glad to meet him. Lin couldn't help but thing the mers would love to have seen this, it was a pity their need for water would have made it difficult for them to travel. Though had they had a tent like this, maybe they could have...

Miyuki, of course, asked if it was possible to ask more about what it was like where he lived. If he had time of course, to even swap stories.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Easing Through Eaulir - 119 4A - Page 10 Empty Re: Easing Through Eaulir - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:39 pm

Atl was quite willing to talk, though he added, "I must return in a few hours. My family will be waiting for word."

"Word?" Mirania repeated curiously.

Atl nodded. "My son is the eldest of the children, so I was asked to come and find out about the foreigners who looked as though they were settling so close to us." His features softened as he smiled suddenly. "It seems, at least so far, that we have nothing to fear. I only hope that continues to be the case."

Kyrie was surprised by how trusting he seemed, and she couldn't help but wonder how old he was. A bit naive perhaps, inexperienced with outsiders ...

Before she could say anything, Rose piped up, "What does your son's age have to do with you being the one chosen to come investigate?"

"Simple," Atl shrugged. "Being the oldest child, he has already learned the most of any child from their parents and would have the least disadvantage should something happen to me."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:58 pm

At first, that didn't make any sense to Lin and she was about to tilt her head to think when she realized the implication.

"Oh...." she blinked and then stared at him for a moment wordlessly.

She couldn't imagine anyone doing anything like that, it made sense from a very practical point of view. Though it was kind of cold, and perhaps a bit chilling to her. Granted, he was here without any weapons...

"And yet... knowing the risk you came without a weapon?" Lin asked softly.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:13 pm

Kyrie hid a grin as Atl answered quite simply, "I am a Water Elf. I am never without a weapon."

Then he smiled. "Now, you had some other questions for me, yes?"

He seemed a very open fellow, and very friendly, and when Kyrie gestured for him to join them on the beach, he accepted cheerfully. A few of the men went to fetch some chairs and cushions for people to sit on, while most of the others simply made their way to the beach. Mailon headed inside to let Daenis know about their visitor and to bring her outside as well.

"How old is your son?" Rose asked Atl as they headed down towards the open sand.

Atl smiled proudly. "Almost seven years old," he beamed.

Kaito was confused. A six-year-old was the oldest child? That didn't make sense, and even if it was true that there were no children older than that, wouldn't there be adults without children who could have come to check and see what was going on?
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:28 pm

Miyuki nodded, she sat on a cushion on her knees. Her tails spread around her like extra cushions themselves, even though she wasn't sitting on her tails.

She could hear the pride in his voice, "I bet he's growing quite fast now... if you don't mind me asking though, why are there no children older than six? Other places we've been to, have a wide range of ages, from birth to eighteen."

Though sixteen was adulthood in some cultures she knew, she just gave the oldest age possible.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:43 pm

Atl settled cross-legged in the sand, resting his hands lightly on his knees.

"Once the children begin to breathe in the water, they and their parents return to the capital," he explained, clearly expecting them to understand. "Unless of course there is another child in the same family that they must wait for."

"I'm afraid I don't understand," Rose spoke up, her brow furrowed slightly. "What do you mean?"

The man chuckled softly and looked at her almost pityingly. "Humans. You really ought to learn more about those not your own kind."

His words stung Rose, though he had clearly not meant to insult her, and she wasn't sure how to reply.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:49 pm

It was Holly who spoke up, softly but firmly.

"To be fair, the town we came from did not look highly on outsiders, even those who seemed human,"
the neko replied, "It is very hard to learn about other races when all you hear are tall tales meant to frighten children."

Holly had heard many of them of course, because she always asked whenever there had been anyone traveling through, or anyone who would answer her question in town was things were like beyond it. The answers she received weren't that useful.

Miyuki chuckled, "Hai... and then there are some of us who came from a different continent completely where there are only two elven races. Granted, we did spend time in Caras Galadhon, so most of us do understand what you mean, but perhaps it's best if you explain it."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:03 pm

Atl smiled and nodded, but showed neither regret nor chagrin at how his words had been taken.

"Of course. Our people do not live on the land, you see," he explained. "Our true home is in Kilemtor, a mile or so off the coast, where the water is about two hundred meters deep. It's a massive, sprawling city, simply incredible. We can live there because our race has the ability to breathe underwater. But it is an ability that we develop only at somewhere between five and nine years of age, so when a woman is expecting a child, she and her husband move to either Eaulir or Eausin, where we have two settlements. On land, the child is born and raised, and when the child's ability to breathe underwater manifests, the family is able to return to the ocean."

He inhaled deeply, and his smile grew wider. "My wife and son and I will be able to return home any time now, and it is a day to which I look forward eagerly."

Understanding dawned in Rose's eyes, and she clasped her hands together. "It sounds wonderful," she murmured.

"It is," Atl agreed. "And of course, since everyone returns to the ocean as soon as they are able, there are no older children on land, nor any adults without young children."

"That makes sense, then," Rose smiled. "Thank you for explaining it to me."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:41 pm

It was no wonder why the Water Elves made sure not to have relations with other races, to lose that ability would be devastating. In a way, a different kind of exile than those who left their homes because of their relationships.

"So what are the settlements like?" Miyuki asked.

She imagined that living on land posed a different set of skills and problems compared to living in the sea (and the other way around).

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:56 pm

"Dry." An obvious answer, perhaps, but the way Atl wrinkled his nose spoke volumes of its own. "Comfortable enough, I suppose, for being on land, but rather plain and - if I may - a bit boring. Certainly, we could venture into the trees, but it's quite a distance from there into the water, should something happen, and really it's not something that interests most of us. We go in there for fronds and such to patch up or build huts, but that's about all."

And suddenly he smiled again and relaxed, leaning back and sighing in contentment. "But there are good things to be said about living on land. With so few of us, our friendships with those also on land with us are quite intimate, and from what I recall, many of those friendships continue after the families return to the ocean. But at the same time, there is also much more privacy."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:41 pm

Lin could see that, a whole settlement made up of families raising young children would be enough to bring everyone together.

"That does sound nice," Miyuki murmured, "This is land is very pretty. At least from what we can see on land..."

She had to smile though at Atl's description of it being dry, though she supposed it would be the same as for it being too wet for her. Fur and too much water didn't go so well.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:01 pm

"I suppose it is," Atl agreed, though he didn't sound very convinced. He looked around. "It's the only land I've seen, so I can only compare it to Kilemtor, and in my opinion, Kilemtor is far more beautiful."

"I don't think any of us will ever have the opportunity to see your city," Wren spoke up ruefully. "What's it like?"

The Water Elf smiled widely again and let out a wistful sigh. "Incredible," he murmured. "It is a very large city, larger than either Eaulir or Eausin, or perhaps even both of them put together. There are various types of homes: those grown out of coral, or caves, or woven ... there are beautiful gardens of coral, anemones, and then of course kelp and seaweed. Gardens and fields ..."

He trailed off, his eyes fixed on nothing at all. For a moment, he was silent, lost in recollections; but then he shook his head and smiled again. "Forgive me. It's been a while."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:22 pm

"It's fine," Holly assured Atl, "When one misses home, thinking about it came make you space out."

She would know, she had done that a few times herself. Though since traveling, she hadn't done that in a long while.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:34 pm

Atl smiled his thanks, then spread his hands, palms up, and looked around at the others again.

"Have you any other questions for me?" he asked amiably.

"I have one," Khetal spoke up for the first time since the stranger had arrived. "You seem willing enough to tell us all about your home and the settlement in which you live here on land, but you've yet to really tell us anything about your family, aside from your son's age."

It wasn't really a question, but the implication was there, and Atl understood it. He smiled softly.

"That is because information about Kilemtor and the colonies is common knowledge," he said reasonably. "My family, on the other hand, is rather a personal subject. In most conversations, there is a give and take - but as of yet this has been a rather one-directional flow of information. As yet, I know next to nothing about any of you." Ever the diplomat, his smile never wavered. "I'm sure you understand."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:12 pm

"Of course," Lin nodded.

Though it did occur to her, that unlike other people they met, Atl also never asked any questions about them.

The angel then added, "So I think it's only fair to ask if you have any questions for us. After all, you did come here scout us out."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:23 pm

Atl smiled. "You are very understanding," he complimented her sincerely. "And I shall. You are quite a varied group - I fully admit that I have never seen anyone non-Water Elvish, but it is my understanding that those of different races rarely if ever have anything to do with each other, let alone travel together as you all are. What brings you all together? What keeps you together? How do you get along together?"

There was a hint of incredulity in his tone, but wonder also; and the travelers knew how antagonistic many of the races were together. And to be fair, in the case of Lashrael and Jassin, the only reason they were with them and getting along with them (aside from the odd comment from the couple) was because the two of them were traitors to their own people for deserting their posts in the army so that they could be together. And even Mailon was only with them because Kyrie had wanted to keep an eye on him after he'd recovered from his fight with the dragon he'd encountered, because she simply hadn't trusted him.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:14 am

"Well... there are a variety of reasons why we're all traveling," Lin replied, "A good portion of us are simply traveling to this entire continent. My husband makes maps for a living, and ever since we were children we said would go off and explore. Others like Shiro and Khetal are researchers. Traveling allows them to learn many things... others are traveling to find a place to live or even to return home.... just to name a few reasons..."

She trailed off and then tried to think of the best way to answer the third question though. It was hard to explain how they got along together, because they just did.

"I can't really say how we get along... we just... do?"

Eron though had a potential reason for why they worked out relatively well.

"You are all use to finding people who wish to travel, I think you don't think about it anymore," he told Lin.

Holly added, "And honestly, living with all kinds of people is like being at home again."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:24 am

"I think it would also be valid to add," Kyrie spoke up, "that one of the main reasons we are able to get along is because we don't think of each other in terms of race. We accept and respect our differences, and we embrace what makes us unique instead of allowing it to divide us. Our varied abilities are what have allowed us to travel as far as we have in safety."

Each of the responses seemed to give Atl something new to think about, and for a moment he was silent.

"And do most of you sleep outside, then, that you have such a small tent for so many people?" he asked next, his eyes moving from the crowd around him to the (relatively) small tent that Mailon and Daenis were just coming out of.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:55 am

Miyuki grinned, not just because she made the tent, but because the question never got old.

"You'd have to see it to believe it, but the tent is much bigger in on the inside than it looks on the outside,"
Miyuki explained.

Which wasn't much of an explanation but who would believe in a tent that didn't seem to make much sense physically on the inside.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:11 am

Atl didn't look as if he thought much of the answer, and he simply shrugged one shoulder and accepted it without dispute.

"I suppose it would have to be," he murmured.

He looked around at them all, his eyes questioning, though he didn't voice any of the questions that had to be forming in his mind. In a way he looked as though he were trying to gauge them, but not in a negative way. Not as if he were judging them. More like he was trying to figure out what kinds of questions he could ask and get a plain answer.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:59 pm

Miyuki tilted her head, very much in a way that her mother would do. Atl seemed to lack curiousity, or maybe he just had more tact? He seemed to be thinking of something.

"If you ever need clarification on something, it is fine to ask," Miyuki, "If you need us to expand on something, that is fine too."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:06 pm

Atl nodded and turned his eyes to Miyuki, since she had been the one to speak.

"I would like to know what you meant by your comment regarding the tent," he said plainly. "I have answered your questions plainly and without riddles, and I believe it would be courteous to accord me the same respect. If there is something you do not wish me to know, then say so, but do not simply make a comment that that gives no information at all."

It was clear that he wasn't impressed with the way Miyuki hadn't truly answered his question about where they all slept, but he kept his tone polite, if not a bit cool.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:17 pm

Miyuki nodded, she understood that it did sound riddle-ish. So she respected that.

"Fair enough,"
the kitsune answered not turning away from his sight.

She paused to think about how to answer because most people asked for clarification, and clearly saying there are bedrooms in the tent would not do.

Finally she gave her explanation first, "The tent uses a magic rune system to create a space within it to be as large as we need it to be. Pretty much there is a whole house in that tent, even though it may not look it. Everyone has their own room, we have a kitchen, workshops, bathing rooms, to name a few. So yes, it is much bigger on the inside than it is on the outside."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:25 pm

Atl nodded again, smiling once more. He was clearly far more satisfied with this answer than the first one Miyuki had given.

"Thank you for explaining," he said, softly but sincerely. "I cannot pretend that in understand it entirely, but at least it makes some small semblance of sense now."

He took another moment to look around at each member of the group, sometimes focusing on faces, other times looking towards their waists or hands, and a few times his gaze lingered on those of different races with additional appendages - tails, wings, and so on. But when he spoke again, it was not to ask a question.

"I must return to my family," he said, abruptly but not coldly. "If you do not mind, I would like to return with others - perhaps tomorrow. I do not feel that you are a threat to our people, but I should not be the only judge of that."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:46 pm

"It's fine," Lin assured him, "You have a family to get to, and we'll still be here. We're planning to stay for the Winter before continuing on."

Since they hadn't given him a timeline to their stay.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 32 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21 ... 32  Next