The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A

2 posters

Page 10 of 34 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22 ... 34  Next

Go down

A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A - Page 10 Empty Re: A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:56 pm

It was pretty typical stuff, mainly furniture from what Hikaru could tell. Though with the number of people (and hints that it keeps growing) it was probably very necessary. He could smell the different types of wood and it took a lot of self control to not actually sniff the wood as he explored.

Once he was done he joined back with Wren,

"Thank you for letting me look."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A - Page 10 Empty Re: A Time To Heal - Makshim, Shiezin 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:06 pm

Daeron smiled. "You're quite welcome. Sometimes I forget that it's not the end of the world to take a few minutes out of my time, and that in fact it can be quite good to take a break sometimes."

He chuckled softly.

"At any rate," he added, "you're welcome in here any time. Just maybe knock first next time."

He winked at Wren, who laughed at him as she pushed herself away from the doorjamb. "I promise to surprise you as often as I can," she grinned. Then, turning to Huron, she added, "Come on. We'll see who else we can surprise. Though I do have to say, no one is as fun to catch unprepared as Daeron is."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:13 pm

"Is there a particular reason for that?" Hikaru asked, a bit amused by Wren's comments.

He didn't know Daeron that well, so he couldn't imagine why he would be fun to catch unaware.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 pm

Wren grinned, her eyes sparkling brightly. "He's my cousin, so that already makes it fun. But he used to be a bit of a stick-in-the-mud, very pessimistic and rather a downer. Since getting married, he's been much better, but it's still fun to make him jump when I can."

The lab was next, and she opened the door to it just as freely as she had opened the door to Daeron's workshop. The lab was as it had always been - or nearly. It was quieter than usual. Khetal was out for the moment, as was Kaito, but Shiro was sitting at his table and staring at his tablet.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:42 pm

Holly was seated beside Shiro, doing some stitching on a red fabric. Though she was every once in a while keeping an eye on the clock displayed near the door. She did this to make sure Shiro wouldn't work too long. This also meant she was the first to spot the two at the door.

Putting down her stitching, she waved at the two before poking Shiro.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:59 pm

Shiro jumped when Holly poked him, and he looked at her, blinking.

"Yeah?" he asked, speaking in English out of habit.

Wren laughed, startling him again. "Not very alert, are you?" she teased him.

Shiro blushed and looked towards her and Huron. "Come on, that's not fair," he protested weakly.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:32 pm

"He was working," Holly spoke up, "Besides, he was alert, he noticed that I poked him...."

In which to say if it was Kaito, he was sure he wouldn't have paid attention. There was just something about Kaito.

"Should we come back later?" Hikaru asked.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:37 pm

"No, it's all right," Shiro assured Huron quickly, smiling. "It's actually good that I get interrupted. I have been known to work more than is healthy on occasion."

Wren snickered, covering it up with a cough.

"All right, more than occasionally," Shiro amended, his cheeks growing slightly warm.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:39 pm

Carefully stepping into the lab, Hikaru looked around but kept his hands to himself. He understood that 'labs' could have dangerous things so he really shouldn't touch.

"What do you do here?" Hikaru inquired as he carefully made his way over to Shiro and Holly.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:47 pm

"Well, there are three of us sharing the lab," Shiro explained. "This is my area, I do research on the things that we find here and keep records of it. A sort of encyclopedia ... no, you probably don't know that term ..."

He hadn't been present the evening before when the others had been questioning Huron, and despite having been filled in quite extensively by Kaito about his twin's suspicions, he had made a conscious decision to treat Huron the same way he would have treated anyone else. If there was something Huron wanted to share, Shiro would let him do so in his own time - if there was anything to share.

He tried to think of a term that people from this world would know.

"An archive, I suppose," he decided. "But using my tablet - this thing here," he held up his tablet to show Huron, the screen glowing with images and text, "means that I can take as many notes and pictures as I want without having to have all kinds of paper and writing tools with me."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:06 pm

Now that was something Hikaru had never seen before. He had (unknown to him) been gone from Gaia for a good 30 to 40 years, computers still took up a good portion of room and personal ones were put together by people in their garage. Ones built premade cost far more than most people could afford.

It looked to him, something out of one of those science fiction novels or shows that one of his cousins liked so much.

"How does that work?" Hikaru asked curiously.

He knew he had been in this world for three centuries or so, so really it shouldn't surprise Hikaru that Gaians came up with something only written about in fiction.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:13 pm

Shiro chuckled. "Well, I could explain it to you, but it would take a very long time. Let us just say ... in our world, technology like this is quite commonplace."

Perhaps not his specific type of technology - his had made his tablet with some next-gen tech - but tablets in general were quite common.

He had also made the assumption that someone would have explained to Huron that they were in fact from another world, not just another country or continent. Of course, he had no way of knowing whether or not it was so.

"Perhaps when you've seen the entire tent and you've got some time to pass," he added.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:20 pm

"Perhaps," Hikaru agreed a bit bemused.

It was perhaps for the best, while he was great at biology, his other types of sciences weren't that great. What current Gaians now called computer sciences, wasn't even a thing when he disappeared.

"So... you archive things... what sort of things interest you?" he couldn't help but ask.

Because it sounded too much to archive everything.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:27 pm

"Oh, no," Wren groaned, "please, no."

"Come on, I'm not that bad, am I?" Shiro asked sheepishly.

Wren sighed, and rather than answering Shiro, she turned to Huron and explained, "There isn't anything that doesn't interest Shiro. Plants, animals, the races and the way they blend, rocks and minerals, magic ..."

"The world fascinates me," Shiro shrugged. "What can I say?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:32 pm

Hikaru had to laugh at that, so it was everything. Well, he couldn't say there was anything wrong with that. Nekos lived long lives, one might as well study everything if they could.

"I think I meant, was there anything that interested you more than another?" Hikaru specified.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:36 pm

"Programming," Shiro replied immediately, without hesitation. He paused, considering how to explain it the term. "Hmm ... how to explain it ..."

"Don't ask me," Wren laughed. "I'm still not entirely sure I understand it."

Shiro snapped his fingers. "I know. Huron, how much do you know about plants, what they're made up of, how they work? Those kinds of things?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:39 pm

Hikaru nodded slowly, not sure where Shiro was going with that. He may have heard of programming, but when Shiro said it, he thought of punch cards, not this sleek thing that the neko had in his hands.

"Yes..."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:48 pm

Shiro grinned. "Good. So, the plant is made up of cells of different kinds, and each kind of cell has its own distinct purpose. If my tablet is like the plant, it's made up of parts inside, each of which also has its own distinct purpose. In plants, nature has told the cells what to do and how to do it - in my tablet, it's programs that do what they're told to do. Programming is me telling a program what to do. If I've done it well, it will do the right thing the right way, even if I'm not directing it to do anything further. So when I press this button ..."

He pressed the little button on the top of his tablet, and the screen went blank.

"... it knows to go into sleep mode, so that its power isn't depleted while I'm not using it. And if it's already in sleep mode, and I press the same button ..."

He did, and the screen came to life: a photo of his entire family back in Gaia showed up with a prompt in a black box and white letters directing him to COMMENCE LOGIN SEQUENCE.

He touched his right thumb to a small circle on the frame and then tapped a few strategic spots on the screen, and the prompt and background disappeared, to be replaced with a plain gray background littered with small square icons showing the programs he could open.

"Every action, every operation, performed by the tablet is possible because of the programming," he continued to explain to Huron.

Wren was inching little by little into the room, and now she was close enough to Holly to lean down and murmur in her ear, "You might want to distract him if Huron is going to see the rest of the tent today."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:52 pm

Holly chuckled at this as she checked the time again. She didn't blame Shiro, but even she thought the whole biology to programming was a bit of a leap.

And it probably was even for Hikaru. Honestly, he would have been better off just explained how it worked, but the connection on cells and biology was lost on him. Actually now that he thought about it, did anyone in this world understood biology on a celluar level? He was pretty sure the answer was no.

"Shiro," Holly spoke up, "Don't forget the time, you said you would try something in my workshop later remember?"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:06 am

Shiro stopped mid-sentence and blinked at Holly in surprise. "I did?" He blinked again. "Oh ... then I"d best keep this quick so I can finish what I'm doing before it's time."

He turned back to Huron and concluded far more quickly, "Over there is Khetal's space, he does doctor-type research, looking at the medicinal qualities of plants and stuff like that, and then that area over there is for Eron, and he does research into earth stuff. Rocks and soils and the like."

Behind Shiro's back, Wren mouthed the words Thank you to Holly and then grinned.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:09 am

Hikaru nodded at Shiro's explanation, all the while keeping a straight face because it was clear that Holly had Shiro wrapped around her little finger.

"I should probably then spend some time talking with Khetal then," Hikaru concluded, since that was his area of interest.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:21 am

Wren grinned. "Then you'll probably be spending some time with me, as well," she teased him. "Hope that doesn't bother you."

As far as she knew, no one had told him specifically about her relationship with Khetal, but surely it was obvious enough that he would have figured it out. If not, he would soon enough.

"At any rate, perhaps we should move on so that they can get back to work," she suggested with a warm smile. "Shall we?"

She stepped backwards out into the hallway and waited for him.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:19 pm

"Let's," Hikaru agreed as he stepped back into the hallway, "And honestly, I like most people's company, I never mind for more company."

It was always nice to spend time around people, because it told him more about the world around him.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:24 pm

Wren smiled, then chuckled softly. "I think that's the motto of pretty much everyone in here," she told him. She pulled the lab door closed behind him, and then turned towards the next doorway, which was the sewing room.

"By the way," she added, sliding the door open, "you have an amazing command of the Common Tongue. No trace of an accent. You've been speaking it long?"

There was no one in the sewing room at the moment, but she stepped aside and let Huron look inside, anyways.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:27 pm

Hikaru didn't have to think about it, because in some places it was still the language to speak when trading. It was just a lot of countries were not on good terms or any terms with other countries so there were a lot of places that didn't use Common Tongue at all.

"Oh yes, I know in some places you may have been to, it's hard to imagine anyone doing trade with an outside country, but other countries, this one being one of them, have a really good relationship with most of their neighbours. So, it's still the language of trade, in places that actually trade outside of the country."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 34 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22 ... 34  Next