The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A - Page 9 Empty Re: A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:44 pm

And of course, once Lin offered, Earendil offered to come along as well.

"We should keep it to just the four of us, then," Kyrie nodded. "I don't think it would be wise to have too many of us out at the same time. Especially where unicorns are concerned."

She had of course told the others about their encounter with the unicorns the day before, so they understood.

"We can leave when you're ready," she told the others. She of course was already ready to go: dressed, booted and cloaked. And this time Uruloki would be going with her. The unicorns knew about him anyways: they had smelled him on her the day before. They hadn't done anything to her then, so she hoped they wouldn't today either.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A - Page 9 Empty Re: A Jaunt Through Jielam - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:17 am

"Just let me grab my cloak and some mitts," Lin replied.

The boots were already near the door, and while her wings kept her nice and warm, the cloak would hide the wings. The mitts were just a necessity in winter.

"I'll get my stuff too," Miyuki added.

It didn't take long to get any of their gear, it was generally left out where they could easily grab it. Especially since Miyuki had already been out the previous day.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:24 am

It took Earendil just a bit longer than Lin to find his things - mostly because he hadn't really thought about going outside quite yet - but soon enough he was also ready to go. Kyrie led them outside, and Earendil was surprised at how warm it was. Sure, there was snow on the ground, but the sky was partially cloudy and there was no wind, which meant that it was particularly pleasant.

"Does it ever get really warm here?" he asked Kyrie as they trekked around the mountain to where the unicorns had been the day before.

Kyrie smiled. "Well, this far south, yes, but further north there are entire masses of land where the snow never melts."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:51 am

Lin nodded, she had heard of such places back home, but it was still hard to imagine.

"It's a bit warmer today," Miyuki commented, "But I guess that's because of the clouds."

Unlike yesterday where it was bright and clear, and while the sun did warm things up, sometimes a cloudy day during the winter was much better.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:57 am

"Probably," Kyrie agreed with a smile.

It wasn't a terribly long walk before the reached the point where they had first seen the unicorns the day before, and when they arrived, Kyrie pointed down into the herd.

"There, she's in the middle there," she murmured.

Sure enough, in the middle of the glory of unicorns, Daenis sat on the same stone as the day before. This time, though, she was not playing her instrument; on the contrary, she looked very upset. Her head was in her hands, her hair falling in front of her, and it looked as though some of the unicorns were trying to console her.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:11 am

"I think something is wrong," Miyuki frowned.

Had she been hurt again? What had happened? Deciding that the unicorns would be okay with it, she went ahead, though approached the group slowly so she wouldn't startle anyone.

"Should we follow?" Lin asked.

Since this was her and Earendil's first time here.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:18 am

Earendil wasn't certain, but Kyrie nodded determinedly. "Yes," she said firmly, setting off swiftly after Miyuki.

Earendil took Lin's hand. "Come on," he murmured; and he picked up his pace, though he made sure not to go too fast for Lin (his legs being so much longer than hers).

Once again, the unicorns parted to let the travelers through without any trouble, though some of them snorted at Kyrie this time. She just chalked it up to Uruloki's presence and ignored it.

When they came close enough, it became apparent that Daenis was crying. It wasn't heart-wrenching sobs, but silent tears; yet the shaking of her shoulders made it evident that she was far from all right. She didn't even seem to hear the others approaching, and it wasn't until a unicorn nuzzled her shoulder that she even looked up at them.

Her eyes were red and swollen, and there was a new bruise on her jaw, just below the first bruise that was near her eye. This one was bigger and darker, and actually made her cheek swell up a bit.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:26 am

"What happened?" Miyuki was by Daenis side the instant she saw the new bruise.

She wished her teacher was here, at least then she could probably make the swelling go down. Miyuki didn't know a thing about healing, it wasn't one of the branches she had focused on.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:30 am

Daenis lowered her gaze and rubbed the tears from her cheeks with the back of one wrist.

"I've been ordered," she replied, her voice hoarse, "to prepare a meal for Feraïs, the man my father wants me to marry. The best meal I've ever made. Tonight."

Her voice began to tremble again. "If I fail ... if I fail, I will be forced to become his wife tonight."

It was as if she hadn't remembered about the bruise, which spoke to how commonplace they were for her.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:37 am

Miyuki didn't understand how failing could be a cause for forced marriage. You'd think failing the meal would mean to not marry. Did that mean if she succeeded she wouldn't have to get marry or was that a no win situation?

"Is there anyway out of it?" Miyuki asked.

Since she didn't know much about white elven society.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:41 am

Fresh tears came to Daenis' eyes, and she shook her head. "I can think of none," she replied in a whisper. "And ... I do not even know if I can trust my father ... even if I do prepare a good meal ... not to force it anyways. But what else can I do? I cannot leave yet, you are not prepared to leave yet ..."

Kyrie arrived then, but she had overheard the conversation thanks to her elvish and dragonic hearing. Lin and Earendil were but a few steps behind, but Earendil had heard nothing of the conversation as yet.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:36 am

"We'll be prepared to leave to tomorrow, but that would be..." Miyuki trailed off thoughtfully.

That would be too late though if she was forced to marry that night.

"What's happening?" Lin asked once they were close enough.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:16 am

Daenis' eyes flickered to Lin, and then to Earendil, and then to Kyrie, and then back to Miyuki. She bit her lower lip anxiously. She didn't know these new people ...

"These are Lin and Earendil, Miyuki's parents," Kyrie introduced them quietly. "They know about your situation - at least, until last night."

Daenis looked at Lin and Earendil a bit longer, then lowered her gaze again. "My father is forcing me to prepare a feast for Feraïs tonight," she told them quietly. "If it is not good enough, I will be forced to become his wife tonight. But I do not trust my father, and I am afraid that even if I were to prepare the best meal possible ... that he would force me anyways."

Earendil took a moment to consider her words. Remembering Nauros, and the misunderstanding that had led to Leyenda's marriage, he asked, "Is there some significance to preparing a meal for this man? Beyond simply feeding him as a guest?"

Daenis swallowed hard. "Showing off my skills would be an enticement for his attentions," she replied quietly, causing Earendil to strain to hear.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:25 pm

Miyuki was confused, "But wouldn't that mean that if you made a good meal that he would be encouraged to continue courting?"

It was like a no win situation, which was completely confusing to her.

Lin frowned, "If only there was a way to discourage him.... at least buy enough time. I mean... I guess we could go now but we would be running..."

And the girl would be forced to leave things behind.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:35 pm

Daenis nodded silently in answer to Miyuki's question. There was really no way out of it for her.

"What you need is a bodyguard," Kyrie said thoughtfully. She pursed her lips as she looked at Daenis.

Of course, there was only one person in their group who would be able to go with her.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:47 pm

"Well.. that cuts everyone out but Mailon, the rest of us will get shot or stabbed on sight," Miyuki sighed.

And then she remembered something about Mailon, something that made her wonder. She tilted her head just slightly and then pipped up.

"Wasn't Mailon a weapons master himself before being exiled? I mean, sure he doesn't have the rank anymore but he said strength matters a lot in the society. So... couldn't he pretend to be Daenis... I don't know.. fiance and take her away? At least buying a bit of time to move before anyone decides to change their mind and go after her? Even if he doesn't have the rank anymore anyone who has been titled the weapons master is supposed to be really strong."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:04 am

"No," Daenis said softly, shaking her head. "It is too dangerous to send anyone with me. The risk should be mine alone."

"It would be more of a risk for you than for him," Earendil spoke up. "Mailon can take care of himself, and he knows your society. He would know what to do, and if worse comes to worse, he can protect you from that other guy."

Daenis frowned. "How?"

Kyrie smiled softly. "He is also a White Elf."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:09 am

"Hence the reason why he's the only one of us who will not get shot or stabbed on sight," Miyuki added.

Miyuki was somewhat surprised Daenis didn't pick that up, since no one would suggest anyone other than a white elf to pretend to be her fiance or even go as a bodyguard. Then again, she probably had never met a white elf that wasn't her tribe.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:27 am

Daenis nodded slowly. "Yes ... I suppose that makes sense," she murmured. She rubbed her eyes and sighed. "Even so ... there must be another way ..."

"Are you willing to risk your safety for the sake of hoping for another way out of this?" Kyrie pointed out. "Look, we're willing to help you, but you also have to be willing to help yourself. I know you're trying to be noble, not putting anyone else at risk, but we wouldn't offer if we weren't sincere. And we're right about Mailon being the best person to protect you."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:38 am

"Give it a chance," Miyuk suggested, "Besides, it is more dangerous for you to go alone, since you're kind of being boxed in."

She was sure in the long run it would be better, and she did quite trust Mailon to get both of them out of it.

"Though we probably should tell him first,"
the kitsune admitted.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:48 am

Kyrie nodded. "Uruloki," she said expectantly, holding out one hand.

Her hand flashed red and gold for a moment, and then Uruloki burst out, wings spread as he glided, hatchling-sized, to the ground. Daenis let out a scream and scrambled backwards, and several of the nearest unicorns reared up, neighing in protest.

No wonder they smelled of dragons! one of the unicorns said angrily.

Uruloki glared at the unicorns and flew up to Kyrie's shoulder. "It seems my presence isn't wanted after all," he said, sounding offended.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:40 pm

"It's okay, Uruloki is not a danger to anyone, and he's quite nice," Lin assured the unicorns.

She knew dragons normally had a bad rap, of course they had traditionally been killing people for a long while, but it was also clear that dragons, like people were capable of much good as they were of evil.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:52 pm

"You didn't seem to mind yesterday," Kyrie said quietly, putting one hand on Uruloki's back and stroking him softly. "I never realized this would be an issue."

Several of the unicorns snorted and began to complain, but one of them, the one nearest Daenis, stood tall and straight and sent out a resounding Stop!

Immediately, all fell silent.

This dragon bears no ill will, the unicorn reprimanded the others, or it would never have made it this far unnoticed. We will grant it safe passage.

Uruloki crawled down from Kyrie's shoulder and into her arms. "Thank you," he said to the unicorn, though his tone still wasn't warm. "Now, what am I to tell Mailon?"

Kyrie shook her head at him. "Just bring him here. We can explain better that way. Tell him, though, that he needs to be prepared to go for a while."

Uruloki nodded, and without another word, he took to the sky and headed back towards the camp.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:30 pm

"I guess all we can do is wait," Miyuki murmured.

It was kind of hard to wait, because she wanted to know what would happen and if Mailon would agree to this. Or even better, what ideas he might have since he knew the society better.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:39 pm

"In the meantime, we should get that bruise taken care of," Kyrie murmured, turning her attention back to Daenis. She got the girl to sit down again and started tending to her bruise.

"What happened?" Earendil asked, concerned.

Daenis winced as Kyrie touched her bruise lightly. "The penalty for my refusal to entertain Feraïs tonight."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next